Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

On 5/1/2023 at 4:56 AM, TV Guy said:

But the Bruins though...🤣

The Bruins B.S. 65-wins "record" was a crock anyway.  They won 11 games in OT and another 4 by shootout, so they only had 50 regulation wins all season.  There were many teams even in the 10 years before OT became a thing in the NHL who won as many or more games.

1974 -- BOS 52, Flyers 50

1975 -- Flyers 51

1976 -- MTL 58, Flyers 51

1977 -- MTL 60

1978 -- MTL 59

1979 -- MTL 52, NYI 51

1982 -- NYI 54

• Like 3

I'm not sure if anyone is watching the NHL playoffs, but Bobrovsky is carrying the Florida Panthers right now.

5 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

I'm not sure if anyone is watching the NHL playoffs, but Bobrovsky is carrying the Florida Panthers right now.

The same fate will happen if the Flyers end up trading Carter Hart

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Yup, it's heartbreaking knowing that the Flyers were way too impatient to wait for him to mature. Same fate awaits us fans with Carter Hart as well. There are several ex-flyers playing well in the playoffs right now and honestly I can't see many (if any) bright spots on this flyers team, sad.

Florida won 3-2 in o/t. Up 3-0 in the series. They give me 2010 Flyers vibes. They are a fun team to watch. That Tkachuk line is damn impressive. 

17 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Florida won 3-2 in o/t. Up 3-0 in the series. They give me 2010 Flyers vibes. They are a fun team to watch. That Tkachuk line is damn impressive. 

They were the last team in the Eastern Conference in the playoffs this year, but remember that they wont the President's Trophy last year, so they are probably actually better than the 8th-best team in the conference.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, Mr_Philly said:

Yup, it's heartbreaking knowing that the Flyers were way too impatient to wait for him to mature. Same fate awaits us fans with Carter Hart as well. There are several ex-flyers playing well in the playoffs right now and honestly I can't see many (if any) bright spots on this flyers team, sad.

Tbf as much as I thought it was boneheaded to sign bryz and trade Bob, Bob wasn’t on track to become the goalie he is until Columbus. The coach there really worked with him so that he relied more on skill than his athleticism. 

1 hour ago, xzmattzx said:

They were the last team in the Eastern Conference in the playoffs this year, but remember that they wont the President's Trophy last year, so they are probably actually better than the 8th-best team in the conference.

Yep, forgot that they won the Presidents trophy last year. Didn't pay attention to them this year so don't know what their regular season problems were but they are on a roll now. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Tbf as much as I thought it was boneheaded to sign bryz and trade Bob, Bob wasn’t on track to become the goalie he is until Columbus. The coach there really worked with him so that he relied more on skill than his athleticism. 

Plus Torts was coaching for at least half his time there so Bob playing behind a more defensive sound system probably helped as well.

Flyers get the 7th pick. Hope those extra 4-5 wins were worth it dumb asses. It disgusts me that on top of celebrating 3 cups since 2010, Chicago also gets the 1st overall pick in the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

Flyers get the 7th pick. Hope those extra 4-5 wins were worth it dumb asses. It disgusts me that on top of celebrating 3 cups since 2010, Chicago also gets the 1st overall pick in the draft.

SMH

20 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

SMH

Forgot about the sexual abuse cover-up. Makes it even more disgusting. They should have lost at least 2 first round picks for that. Bettman is a spineless coward.

• Like 1

The irritating part is they deliberately tanked by trading young forwards away and got rewarded for tanking, which the lottery is supposed to be a hedge against.

• Like 1

Sports in general is starting to feel rigged. Lakers going up 3-1, Hawks first pick, holding call on 3rd down....whatever. 

Apparently Eddie Olczyk and Keith Jones are the 2 finalists for Flyers President. 

40 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Apparently Eddie Olczyk and Keith Jones are the 2 finalists for Flyers President. 

According to DiMarco and Chris Terrien they are going with Keith Jones. Which is certainly a decision that could be made. 

You can't even make this stuff up at this point.  A sensible organization would interview and hire candidates from successful organizations, with proven accomplishments of contributing to championships.

...... or they could just hire some guy they've seen talking about hockey on TV.

39 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

According to DiMarco and Chris Terrien they are going with Keith Jones. Which is certainly a decision that could be made. 

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on either of those guys. I don't think either of those guys has front office experience but if Jones gets the job, at least he has seen what kind of talent the Flyers are lacking by doing his broadcasting gig. He also saw who the successful franchises are so maybe he brings some of their ideas with him. Gonna be interesting thats for sure. 

Jones may be a fine choice but you can't clean house of the old Flyers legends to bring in Briere as your GM and Jones as your President and act like it isn't going to head in the same direction it was going with Holmgren and Clarke.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

You can't even make this stuff up at this point.  A sensible organization would interview and hire candidates from successful organizations, with proven accomplishments of contributing to championships.

...... or they could just hire some guy they've seen talking about hockey on TV.

You make good points. To be honest, the only reason I follow this team anymore is out of morbid curiosity. I don't have any faith they can turn this franchise into a Cup contender before 2030. Hopefully they prove us all wrong. 

At least briere is from this millenia and understands how the game is played now, and Jonesy has been watching this team get outclassed for years and knows that the way they've been built is not the way to win anymore. Not gonna say they're great hires but they should at least bring some semblance of modern thinking to the table. Especially briere considering he was a smaller skilled forward that has become more of the norm 

34 minutes ago, devpool said:

At least briere is from this millenia and understands how the game is played now, and Jonesy has been watching this team get outclassed for years and knows that the way they've been built is not the way to win anymore. Not gonna say they're great hires but they should at least bring some semblance of modern thinking to the table. Especially briere considering he was a smaller skilled forward that has become more of the norm 

I can’t get over the nepotism. The fact they hired Keith Jones just puts it over the top for me. Same as it ever was with this organization.

17 hours ago, Blazehound said:

I can’t get over the nepotism. The fact they hired Keith Jones just puts it over the top for me. Same as it ever was with this organization.

you have to understand that even if you hire assistants from great teams like carolina, colorado, tampa, it doesnt mean you are getting that model or that person you are expecting that's going to work with you, there is reasons why they havent been hired by other teams plus look what happened when we hired hextall wasnt the same model as LA, refused to listen anyone, that's why he got canned from pittsburgh, you cant assume you are getting that guy because he was an assistant from a cup contending team or won a cup, fans read too much into that and not person you are hiring which is most important thing.