Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

On 8/9/2021 at 11:22 PM, Blazehound said:

How are they going to afford to re-sign Sanheim? I assumed Hart wasn’t going to get anything more than $2.5m or so.

I think what he got was a little rich, I expected around 3.5 after this past season. Not a lot of goalies have almost 3 full seasons' worth of starting at this age, and fewer played as well at that age as he did for his first two seasons. So take 2 good seasons, one awful season, you get somewhere between 3 and 4mil. Since the awful season was more recent, I figured it would have been closer to 3.

2 hours ago, devpool said:

I think what he got was a little rich, I expected around 3.5 after this past season. Not a lot of goalies have almost 3 full seasons' worth of starting at this age, and fewer played as well at that age as he did for his first two seasons. So take 2 good seasons, one awful season, you get somewhere between 3 and 4mil. Since the awful season was more recent, I figured it would have been closer to 3.

Yep. Was surprised too. I mean, what leverage did Hart have?

After they eventually sign Sanheim, there will be virtually no cap flexibility this season.

9 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Yep. Was surprised too. I mean, what leverage did Hart have?

After they eventually sign Sanheim, there will be virtually no cap flexibility this season.

Anything they need flexibility for would likely involve shipping out a big contract anyway. Players (york) can still be called up because someone, likely at the same cap number or higher, would be sent down. Not an ideal situation obviously but they'll be fine.

After this season giroux is likely gone, they use that money to pay coots (probably a little less) and maybe they move JvR also. If they keep giroux for some reason they would have to basically swap contracts, ideally with a little less for each. $4mil for giroux and maybe $8mil max for coots (who i'm sure will push for and probably get more after being on a bargain contract for so long). Will giroux ever take that? Probably not which is why he's likely gonna be gone

And I thought Hart's contract was rich. Shesterkin has started less than half as many games as Hart and has only one playoff appearance. His one full season as a starter was similar to Hart's first season in the NHL, when Hart was 20. Shesterkin is 25.

1 hour ago, devpool said:

And I thought Hart's contract was rich. Shesterkin has started less than half as many games as Hart and has only one playoff appearance. His one full season as a starter was similar to Hart's first season in the NHL, when Hart was 20. Shesterkin is 25.

Yeah saw that contract and wondered wtf the rangers were doing offering him that. 

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah saw that contract and wondered wtf the rangers were doing offering him that. 

I saw on Twitter he played at a high level in the KHL, but that often doesn't translate to the NHL. It's a pretty big risk IMO but maybe it works out 

• 2 weeks later...

Sanheim got a pretty high AAV after last year as well. $4.675 for 2. I think he's a solid top 4 so probably the going rate for that

On 8/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, devpool said:

Sanheim got a pretty high AAV after last year as well. $4.675 for 2. I think he's a solid top 4 so probably the going rate for that

Problem is he’s UFA after that deal is done.

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Problem is he’s UFA after that deal is done.

Yea but I don't think he's a 6+ mil defenseman so hopefully it isn't too much of an issue. And by the time he's up again the flat cap should be done as well

Kevin Hayes' older brother, Jimmy Hayes, died at age 31.  No known cause of death being reported at this time.  Medics were called to his home where he was pronounced dead.  He played 7 NHL seasons (334 games) on 4 different teams registering 54 goals and 55 assists, last playing in 2019.  He is survived by his wife, 2 young sons, 4 siblings, and his parents.

Sounds like it could have been a stroke or aneurysm, maybe an undetected heart issue, if they weren't even in time to take him to a hospital.  Always hate to see someone so young leaving behind a family. 

Yandle is insurance if York isn't ready, brassard is insurance if frost isn't ready. If frost is ready, Thompson probably goes to Lehigh and brassard is 4c

12 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Coots with the extension.

8 years at 7.75 mil 

Wow what a steal, that's an amazing AAV for someone whose game *should* age pretty gracefully. Not really predicated on speed or overwhelming strength, but good positioning and intelligence. Easy to build around

Seems like they went a little overboard on the Coots extension. AAV isn't bad, but it's got an NMC, and he'll be 37 when it ends. Typical Fletcher...

On 9/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, EaglesRocker97 said:

Seems like they went a little overboard on the Coots extension. AAV isn't bad, but it's got an NMC, and he'll be 37 when it ends. Typical Fletcher...

Think it's a full NMC for the first 3-4 years then it has a 10 team list. This is below market value, far below.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Did Kevin Hayes pull a Scottie Pippen? Like did he just get hurt over the weekend or something or he’s getting the Medicals done on company time? 

On 9/20/2021 at 1:47 AM, devpool said:

Wade Allison also got hurt today, hopefully it isn't serious 

Doesn’t sound good.  Out indefinitely 

• 2 weeks later...

Robin lehner is accusing the flyers of drugging nolan patrick with non prescription ambien to help him sleep.  Some ugly accusations coming out.