Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

Just now, Blazehound said:

Fing Brutal. All for 1 year of Ristolainen.

Knowing fletcher he’ll give him a Macdonald type of contract to add to the crapshow of that trade 

If we gave up a 1st and 2nd, he can’t be a rental. Unless Chuck has more stuff up his sleeve, which I can’t see with our cap space, he has to be re-signed. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I might be more concerned by the fact that this is not a rental. By giving up so much capital to get him, you’ve given his agent significant negotiating leverage.  This contract extension is probably going to suuuuuuuuck!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

If we gave up a 1st and 2nd, he can’t be a rental. Unless Chuck has more stuff up his sleeve, which I can’t see with our cap space, he has to be re-signed. 

Freaking Ed Snider era move. Overpay and get in cap trouble.

It's going to come down to Morgan Frost and Oskar Lindblom.  If those two become good players, and quickly, the Flyers are on the right path.  If not, more years of mediocrity ahead of us.

edit:  And Farabee takes the next step

7 minutes ago, devpool said:

Literally all of hockey Twitter is laughing at the flyers right now 

Yeah i saw that. Honestly feels like this could blow up in Fletcher’s face and he’s gone next year. At least if that happened the next Gm would clear risto’s 5.4 hit at the end of the season and JVR would be on the last year of his contract. 

6 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

I don't want to hear any excuses for Carter Hart this year if he plays poorly again.

Pretty unlikely given he had 2 good seasons before last season. Clearly the outlier 

4 minutes ago, devpool said:

Pretty unlikely given he had 2 good seasons before last season. Clearly the outlier 

2018-2019 - ok season

2019-2020 - good season

2020-2021 - bad season

This season - TBD

2 hours ago, devpool said:

Literally all of hockey Twitter is laughing at the flyers right now 

As they should. I mean what the crud....

59 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

2018-2019 - ok season

2019-2020 - good season

2020-2021 - bad season

This season - TBD

His first season was ok for a veteran goaltender and good for a rookie. Follows it up with a good 2019 season and a fantastic playoffs and then last season happened.

This isn't directed at you but there is a lot of doom and gloom about Hart and it makes zero sense. The whole thing is hilarious because this exact same thing happened with bobrovsky. I think Hart will be fine, I'm not going to base his future off of one season that was screwed up by a pandemic.

Just now, devpool said:

His first season was ok for a veteran goaltender and good for a rookie. Follows it up with a good 2019 season and a fantastic playoffs and then last season happened.

This isn't directed at you but there is a lot of doom and gloom about Hart and it makes zero sense. The whole thing is hilarious because this exact same thing happened with bobrovsky. I think Hart will be fine, I'm not going to base his future off of one season that was screwed up by a pandemic.

Flyers fans over hype every prospect.  I use to go for the bait and believe it also.  Hart has potential to be great.  He makes saves that not many goalies can make and they are jaw dropping at times.  Then there are times he lets in a soft one or two.  He has all the physical tools but goalies are very temperamental.  If he lacks focus and confidence at times, it will hinder him from being great.  I hope he is great and we have our next goalie for the next 8-10 years but I would like to see him put together a few good seasons in a row.  Hopefully he gets back on track this season.  The defense will not be an excuse as we now have a solid top 4.

Seth Jone's contract

Pierre LeBrun
@PierreVLeBrun
·
10m
So 8 years x $9.5 M AAV. Can’t be signed until Wednesday.
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger

5 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Fing Brutal. All for 1 year of Ristolainen.

Don’t forget he just trash-canned a #2 overall pick as a throwaway in what was already not a very good trade.

Patrick was playing like junk, but he could have been traded on his own somewhere for a mid to late round pick in return 

5 hours ago, Khani1 said:

Flyers fans over hype every prospect.  I use to go for the bait and believe it also.  Hart has potential to be great.  He makes saves that not many goalies can make and they are jaw dropping at times.  Then there are times he lets in a soft one or two.  He has all the physical tools but goalies are very temperamental.  If he lacks focus and confidence at times, it will hinder him from being great.  I hope he is great and we have our next goalie for the next 8-10 years but I would like to see him put together a few good seasons in a row.  Hopefully he gets back on track this season.  The defense will not be an excuse as we now have a solid top 4.

It wasn't even just fans getting excited about him, major figures in hockey talked about good he was. This was not a case of hometown fans overhyping a prospect. He'll be fine. Again, he had two good seasons in a row. Two starting caliber, at the very least, seasons and a great playoff. 

The Cleveland Indians are changing their name to the Guardians for next season.  This team should just change their name to either the Philadelphia Comcast or the Comcast Flyers because that's what they are, a corporate team more about the bottom line than winning a championship.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Are you guys seeing it now? Fletch gonna Fletch...

Yeah, I'm absolutely disgusted with that move still. Team has one bad GM after another. 

2 hours ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Are you guys seeing it now? Fletch gonna Fletch...

I feel like most of us didn’t like the fletcher hire nor fletcher in general. Ellis trade is a huge risk reward but i could understand. If he stays healthy he’s fine still risky that he does. But really Patrick was gonna leave at the end of the year and Myers is likely always a second pairing whereas ellis when healthy is a legit one.

the ghost trade looks bad but it isn’t just on fletcher. That’s on our previous GMs locking him up into that contract. Everyone around the league knew he was overpaid it’s why every time he’s put on waivers he clears. The pandemic really made the Flyers have to give up more in that deal. The cap situation after the pandemic made clearing money that much more valuable this offseason. Frankly if we were going to pay a premium to do that then I’d have dealt a bigger contract like voracek as it clears more space anyway. Plus he’s still good so It wouldn’t be purely a salary dump so a team would get a useful player. 

the ristolainen trade was just awful anyway you slice it. The analytics department must have been up in arms when fletcher made that move. The analytics indicate he’s barely 3rd pairing defenseman in NHL player. That was a dumb move with the cap space you clear. The only benefit of it is if ristolainen sucks that he’s gone after 21-22 season and you clear 5.4 mil in cap space which you’d still have had to wait another year with ghost. Still giving up 1st, 2 2nd, 7th and hagg to just go from ghost to ristolainen and lose a year of a contract is beyond overpay and stupid allocation of money they saved from ghost 

In general the ellis and ghost trade i could understand. This ristolainen one was just plain dumb unless he completely surprises everyone and lives up to his potential which is highly doubtful. 

• Like 1

Would like this trade better if Atkinson didn’t have 4 years left on his contract at 5.9 mil. Whereas voracek has 3 years left at 8.25. You save 2.3 mil each year until year 4 where the entire savings you are having equals out. I’d also add Atkinson is slightly older (not that big of a difference) and has really dropped off in the area the Flyers want him for (goal scoring) the past two years. 

So basically stretching out Voraceks contract for a lesser offensively player. He’s faster though and can play PK so there’s that.