Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watson is unhappy in Houston because they didn't involve him enough in the GM search there. Maybe we could swap Watson and Wentz. Each is unhappy with the GM situation.  😛

58 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Watson is unhappy in Houston because they didn't involve him enough in the GM search there. Maybe we could swap Watson and Wentz. Each is unhappy with the GM situation.  😛

I'm sure Howie would love to have him for input about personnel decisions. 

11 hours ago, greend said:

Rather have Hurts and then if he can't play have a great draft pick the next year.

Oh I'd start Hurts but you need a back up just in case. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Trouble is we don't have much extra cash. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If we were to move Wentz, then I'd think it best to ink Sudfeld to a deal similar to what he signed this past offseason (1 year, $1.7M).  Then use a mid-to-late rd draft pick on a QB to start grooming (with the hope to bump up to #2 in time).  If everything goes down the toilet then we should have a high pick to draft another one high and start anew.  

I'm absolutely going to get hammered for this.

If the Eagles surround Wentz with a solid oline and legit #1 WR, he'll be back in the one of the best QBs in the league convo. And before anyone posts about him not being that guy anymore I'd like to say, you replying with that is no different than me saying he can be that guy again. 

21 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

If the Eagles surround Wentz with a solid oline and legit #1 WR, he'll be back in the one of the best QBs in the league convo. And before anyone posts about him not being that guy anymore I'd like to say, you replying with that is no different than me saying he can be that guy again. 

You're going to get hammered because you're wrong, Wentz is done as far as being an elite guy his numbers have never been elite level, they were very good in 17 outside that he's been a passable starter, with low end average yardages and TD-pick ratio held up by playing percentage ball over the middle, up to now he's been alibi'd by a supposedly sub par 'supporting cast'.  The o line hasn't been the top end unit of recent seasons but Wentz didn't help it any, and besides Sunday was the worst we've put out all season, Toth and Pryor are second string CFL level tackles, Seumalo and Herbig are backup level guards.

Foles and now Hurts have come in with no notable drop off in team performance, honestly the question the front office should be asking at this point is which side of the equation is holding the other back, are the skill positions holding Wentz back or vice versa?  I don't think we have a great roster by any stretch, but it'd be truckload better than 4-11-1 with a QB performing at an acceptable level all season.

3 hours ago, greend said:

Trouble is we don't have much extra cash. 

58 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If we were to move Wentz, then I'd think it best to ink Sudfeld to a deal similar to what he signed this past offseason (1 year, $1.7M).  Then use a mid-to-late rd draft pick on a QB to start grooming (with the hope to bump up to #2 in time).  If everything goes down the toilet then we should have a high pick to draft another one high and start anew.  

We don't have a lot of cap and that's absolutely fair. I mean I guess the advantage we have (and it's a sad thing to say) is that we aren't going to really be contenders next year so hey if Hurts went down we don't really need a capable back up. 

8 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Wentz is done as far as being an elite guy his numbers have never been elite level, they were very good in 17

You know it's funny actually... I think Wentz was really really good in 2017. He was the front runner to me MVP. But the numbers actually were not what we've seen in a lot of years in the last few years. 

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You're going to get hammered because you're wrong, Wentz is done as far as being an elite guy his numbers have never been elite level, they were very good in 17 outside that he's been a passable starter, with low end average yardages and TD-pick ratio held up by playing percentage ball over the middle, up to now he's been alibi'd by a supposedly sub par 'supporting cast'.  The o line hasn't been the top end unit of recent seasons but Wentz didn't help it any, and besides Sunday was the worst we've put out all season, Toth and Pryor are second string CFL level tackles, Seumalo and Herbig are backup level guards.

Foles and now Hurts have come in with no notable drop off in team performance, honestly the question the front office should be asking at this point is which side of the equation is holding the other back, are the skill positions holding Wentz back or vice versa?  I don't think we have a great roster by any stretch, but it'd be truckload better than 4-11-1 with a QB performing at an acceptable level all season.

Like I said, you saying he can't be that guy is no different than me saying he can be. We're both simply talking ish on a message board. 

Don't get me wrong Carson did himself and the offense as a whole no favors in 2020. But please show me a QB that would be successful behind a different offensive line every week, a disappointing rookie WR as well as late round/practice squad WRs. Let's also not forget his favorite target, Ertz, missed how much time?

1 hour ago, ShutDownDB said:

Like I said, you saying he can't be that guy is no different than me saying he can be. We're both simply talking ish on a message board. 

Don't get me wrong Carson did himself and the offense as a whole no favors in 2020. But please show me a QB that would be successful behind a different offensive line every week, a disappointing rookie WR as well as late round/practice squad WRs. Let's also not forget his favorite target, Ertz, missed how much time?

It's not about being "successful".  Its about not being the WORST QB in the entire league.

13 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

It's not about being "successful".  Its about not being the WORST QB in the entire league.

Whoosh

4 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

He had his full strength O line and all his weapons including Ertz and Goedert at TE and sucked anyway earlier this year and in stretches last year, then played better last year with backups, and this year was making plays to Fulgham.

O line and WR are issues, but Wentz has his issues too. 

Also: we used to mock Dallas fans who said all Dak needed was...  

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

He had his full strength O line and all his weapons including Ertz and Goedert at TE and sucked anyway earlier this year and in stretches last year, then played better last year with backups, and this year was making plays to Fulgham.

O line and WR are issues, but Wentz has his issues too. 

Also: we used to mock Dallas fans who said all Dak needed was...  

Oh he did? Guess I missed Brandon Brooks playing this year. When did AJ return from injury? How much did DJackson play? Lane Johnson wasn't in and out of the lineup either?

For the record I do agree Carson had his own issues this year. 

That was people just trying to piss off Dallas fans.

32 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Oh he did? Guess I missed Brandon Brooks playing this year. When did AJ return from injury? How much did DJackson play? Lane Johnson wasn't in and out of the lineup either?

For the record I do agree Carson had his own issues this year. 

That was people just trying to piss off Dallas fans.

True Brooks was out.  I didn't say the entire season.  I said both LAST YEAR and this year during games when he DID have his starters, he still sucked.  AJ is not someone that should have been relied on anyway.

When you have Peters, Seumalo, Kelce and Johnson that's 4/5 of last year's starting O line (Peters was not intended to start this year and brought back).  Wentz had Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, Ward, Jackson returning from last year plus 1st round pick Reagor.  For any decent QB that's more than enough.  

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

True Brooks was out.  I didn't say the entire season.  I said both LAST YEAR and this year during games when he DID have his starters, he still sucked.  AJ is not someone that should have been relied on anyway.

When you have Peters, Seumalo, Kelce and Johnson that's 4/5 of last year's starting O line (Peters was not intended to start this year and brought back).  Wentz had Sanders, Ertz, Goedert, Ward, Jackson returning from last year plus 1st round pick Reagor.  For any decent QB that's more than enough.  

Seumalo missed a decent chunk of time as well, but he's...whatever. You are right at times he had enough around to play well and win. I feel like in 12 weeks Carson played a total of 1 maybe 1 and a half of good football. 

I just take issue when people say Carson sucks, he can't do this he can't do that meanwhile they ignore all the injuries, lackluster WR play, HC that refuses to alter gameplan/calls for his struggling QB.

20 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Seumalo missed a decent chunk of time as well, but he's...whatever. You are right at times he had enough around to play well and win. I feel like in 12 weeks Carson played a total of 1 maybe 1 and a half of good football. 

I just take issue when people say Carson sucks, he can't do this he can't do that meanwhile they ignore all the injuries, lackluster WR play, HC that refuses to alter gameplan/calls for his struggling QB.

Agree on all the points.  But that's not what I was replying to.  You said if only Carson had a solid O line and a legit WR then he'd be a top QB in the league.  Those are 2 different arguments.  Even when Carson had plenty of talent around him he was bad this year, and stretches last year too.  

49 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Agree on all the points.  But that's not what I was replying to.  You said if only Carson had a solid O line and a legit WR then he'd be a top QB in the league.  Those are 2 different arguments.  Even when Carson had plenty of talent around him he was bad this year, and stretches last year too.  

Is saying he had plenty around him the same as saying he'd be a top QB with a solid online and legit WR?  

Also just to be clear, do you think he can be 2017 Wentz again at all?

46 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Is saying he had plenty around him the same as saying he'd be a top QB with a solid online and legit WR?  

Also just to be clear, do you think he can be 2017 Wentz again at all?

There's definitely a split amongst the fans. Some think he can become the 2017 version again, others don't. 

I think the reality is he's better than what he showed this year and he'll be better next year wherever he plays. But I don't think he'll get back to 2017 levels and ultimately that's what he's being paid to be. 

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's definitely a split amongst the fans. Some think he can become the 2017 version again, others don't. 

I think the reality is he's better than what he showed this year and he'll be better next year wherever he plays. But I don't think he'll get back to 2017 levels and ultimately that's what he's being paid to be. 

Why though? Let's say this summer he works with a QB guy, they draft Smith or Chase and the offensive line stays healthy. In that hypothetical you can't see him playing like a top 5 QB? What isn't fixable?

1 hour ago, ShutDownDB said:

Why though? Let's say this summer he works with a QB guy, they draft Smith or Chase and the offensive line stays healthy. In that hypothetical you can't see him playing like a top 5 QB? What isn't fixable?

Top 5? Lol no

1 hour ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Top 5? Lol no

"Lol no" is a great reply. Thanks for the contribution.

18 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

"Lol no" is a great reply. Thanks for the contribution.

Please tell me the QBs you think are better than Wentz, this should be hilarious. And there better be at least 12-15 of em 

Archived