Carson Wentz discussion: no new topics about Wentz.

T-1000

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So if it isn't there he should continue to force it should he? He should ignore the guys that were at times open because they weren't the big play? 

His mechanics are an issue. He tries to throw too much with his upper body. He tries to throw off balance. He makes ridiculous decisions with dangerous throws. He doesn't set his feet. He throws off his back foot too often and not off his front foot. His accuracy is an issue. 

So he does what all QBs do? His mechanics are generally fine. It's something that he works on, the coaches work on, something you're always working to improve. QBs still try to make plays when they can't set their feet. It's one thing when you have a clean pocket and then use poor footwork, but completely different when you are put in a position to just get rid of the ball. I agree he's not the most accurate passer in the history of the NFL. I doubt he'll ever be that type of guy.

Obviously you don't want to force every play. There are times where you have to. If you're losing, you probably will be in a spot where you don't have a choice but to give the receiver a chance to make the play. DBs in the NFL today don't look back for the ball all that often, so it's not as risky to force plays from time to time. Mahommes does this all the time and gets away with it. Foles had a lot of success because of this. 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

But no Quarterback - not Lamar Jackson, not Kyler Murray can count on count on backyard football style play long term. Russell Wilson isn't a statue but he is able to make plays without exposing himself to physical abuse. He's also gotten better at conventional QB play. The others are going to have to get better at it as well or expect a short career.

Agreed. Its about making the right smart decisions. Wilson extends plays but he doesn't take many unnecessary hits. 

18 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

So he does what all QBs do? His mechanics are generally fine. It's something that he works on, the coaches work on, something you're always working to improve. QBs still try to make plays when they can't set their feet.

He hasn't improved at it though...

Let’s say we do all this stuff give him "real wrs” "real oline” "real coaches” etc and next year more of the same and it still doesn’t work. 100% there will be new excuses from the same folks. 

As for Lamar Jackson criticism, that I keep reading and have read all year, the guy was the league MVP already he is 24 and is in the playoffs again. Anyone outside of Philly would take that in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Let’s say we do all this stuff give him "real wrs” "real oline” "real coaches” etc and next year more of the same and it still doesn’t work. 100% there will be new excuses from the same folks. 

There are always going to be extremists on both sides of any issue. Those aren't the ones to pay attention to. If Wentz has all that, and it's a repeat of 2020, I guarantee he's going to lose a ton of support from most of his objective fan base. The extremists are always what they are.

I mean the only way I want to try to "salvage” Wentz is to fire Doug and bring in a coach like the Bills OC. Someone with a track record of working magic. Doug + Wentz = doesn’t work. Hiring a new OC in name only to put a band aid on this isn’t going to cut it. 

1 minute ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I mean the only way I want to try to "salvage” Wentz is to fire Doug and bring in a coach like the Bills OC. Someone with a track record of working magic. Doug + Wentz = doesn’t work. Hiring a new OC in name only to put a band aid of this isn’t going to cut it. 

Agree completely with that.

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Obviously the O line was an issue this year.  You can take any QB in the league and argue they'd be better with a solid O line and legit WR

I overheard a lady the other day at work say if you took away all of patrick Mahomes weapons  and offensive line and coaches he wouldn't be that good lmao. 

I was mocking her the rest of the day, I said I bet if you cut one of Mahomes legs off and tied an arm around his back and blind folded him he probably wouldn't be that good lol

30 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

As for Lamar Jackson criticism, that I keep reading and have read all year, the guy was the league MVP already he is 24 and is in the playoffs again. Anyone outside of Philly would take that in a heartbeat.

If this FO surrounds him with all that and he still sucks, nope he's gotta go and I think we'd all agree. 

1 hour ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

I mean the only way I want to try to "salvage” Wentz is to fire Doug and bring in a coach like the Bills OC. Someone with a track record of working magic. Doug + Wentz = doesn’t work. Hiring a new OC in name only to put a band aid on this isn’t going to cut it. 

I just don't think you have to "salvage" Wentz. He had an off year or bad year. I think most players are motivated to return the next year playing better. You just have to put the past in the past. 

On 1/7/2021 at 10:24 PM, CaliEagle said:

Watson is unhappy in Houston because they didn't involve him enough in the GM search there. Maybe we could swap Watson and Wentz. Each is unhappy with the GM situation.  😛

If Watson goes anywhere, it's most likely the Jets because they have Pick #2 that the Texans likely use on Justin Fields.  

What about a "change of scenery" trade of the top two picks of 2016: Wentz for Jared Goff straight up?  

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

What about a "change of scenery" trade of the top two picks of 2016: Wentz for Jared Goff straight up. 

A bad QB for a QB who's been up and down and just had a bad year? No thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

If Watson goes anywhere, it's most likely the Jets because they have Pick #2 that the Texans likely use on Justin Fields.  

What about a "change of scenery" trade of the top two picks of 2016: Wentz for Jared Goff straight up?  

Wally, if you don't stop suggesting these horrible ideas, we're trading you to the Jets message board!

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Wally, if you don't stop suggesting these horrible ideas, we're trading you to the Jets message board!

😂 😂

Has there ever been a QB in recent memory go from being the worst QB in football to elite? 

Maybe (maybe) Kurt Warner? Being the worst QB in football, from my perspective is hard to do if you actually have elite traits in there somewhere. Regardless of weapons or coaching. And if there is a high probability that he won’t return to elite status, what’s the point of holding on to him besides cap limitations?

If you can work out a trade that doesn’t hamstring the team financially, I’m not sure you have a choice (his value probably goes down drastically if he even has a mediocre year next year as counterintuitive as that sounds).

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

Good God no.  Goff isn’t any better than Wentz.  4 for 12 for 98 yards with 5 min left in 3rd quarter of this playoff game.  😳

Just now, time2rock said:

Good God no.  Goff isn’t any better than Wentz.  4 for 12 for 98 yards with 5 min left in 3rd quarter.  😳

I think Goff is worse than Wentz. At this point at least Wentz has one top year and other games where he's shown he can be a really good QB. That's more than Goff.

I'm starting to think Carson should leave. Not because of having to compete with Jalen, but because this team is Fing awful. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Goff is worse than Wentz. At this point at least Wentz has one top year and other games where he's shown he can be a really good QB. That's more than Goff.

Goff would not survive 2 games with our crappy offensive line. 

4 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Agreed. For as many faults as Wentz has and showed this year, you have to say my god was he tough. He took a lot of hits this year but he kept coming back.

Hell no to Goff.  He's got an offensive mastermind in McVay and he still looks like garbage. 

If I'm the Colts I'm getting back to Indianapolis and offering their 1st to us for Wentz right away.  League rules be damned. 

1 hour ago, opa-opa said:

He's also a blithering idiot. Keep him away.

4 hours ago, Thrive said:

Has there ever been a QB in recent memory go from being the worst QB in football to elite? 

Maybe (maybe) Kurt Warner? Being the worst QB in football, from my perspective is hard to do if you actually have elite traits in there somewhere. Regardless of weapons or coaching. And if there is a high probability that he won’t return to elite status, what’s the point of holding on to him besides cap limitations?

If you can work out a trade that doesn’t hamstring the team financially, I’m not sure you have a choice (his value probably goes down drastically if he even has a mediocre year next year as counterintuitive as that sounds).

Brees had a 67.5 QBR in his 3rd season. Alex Smith is another recent one. Tannehill maybe? Some older ones were Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham.

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Brees had a 67.5 QBR in his 3rd season. Alex Smith is another recent one. Tannehill maybe? Some older ones were Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Randall Cunningham.

There is more the you think. I'm sure if you look back at a lot of good QBs years you will see a ton 

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is more the you think. I'm sure if you look back at a lot of good QBs years you will see a ton 

Yeah. There are some QBs that come right out of the gate and look great  (Wilson, Mahommes, Rodgers if you don't count his 3 years on the bench) and as fans, we want that with our players too. However, more times than not, QBs need several years to really reach their peak. 

I think where the problem lies is that teams see the flashes of greatness during that rookie contract and make a decision on whether or not to commit to that 2nd contract. If there's any setback or doubt created during that time, teams often succumb to fan and media pressure to cut ties. Then these players go on to have success on schedule with their new teams. That was true with Brees, Smith, Tannehill, and Steve Young.

14 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I'm starting to think Carson should leave. Not because of having to compete with Jalen, but because this team is Fing awful. 

I'm kind of on the same page depending on how Wentz feels about Doug & Howie. Would you go all out for a boss who you despise and have no confidence in? Most of us wouldn't. We'd look for a different situation.

Archived