Xbox Series X

BirdsFanBill

On 4/30/2021 at 5:13 AM, Machine said:

Lmao.  Game pass is so legit. The show. Outriders. Battlefield 6 rumors.  When xbox pipeline of exclusives start dropping, it's gonna be insane value.. ps5 collecting dust outside of the couple of exclusives I enjoyed. I'll fire it up for returnal. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:14 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

It's really been awesome for me. Paying like almost nothing more per month than I was with just xbox live and having all these games for free is the best.

So, was coming in specifically to ask about Game Pass.  I’ve played both the 360 and One, but my One has been collecting dust for some time.  Am considering a Series S, but would like to know more about Game Pass first.  Is it mainly older games, or does it actually have brand new games available for it as well?  I’ve heard many that seem to believe it’s a great service, but I just want to get a better understanding of what it actually is (and isn’t).

14 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

So, was coming in specifically to ask about Game Pass.  I’ve played both the 360 and One, but my One has been collecting dust for some time.  Am considering a Series S, but would like to know more about Game Pass first.  Is it mainly older games, or does it actually have brand new games available for it as well?  I’ve heard many that seem to believe it’s a great service, but I just want to get a better understanding of what it actually is (and isn’t).

You can look at the current list of games on gamepass. But for me its been awesome, definitely many old games but over the last year it's been a lot of new releases as well. Plus most xbox exclusives coming up will be on gamepass for free day 1. Honestly I would say it probably evens out financially for me as opposed to just buying new games when they come out but I like the options of having access to so many games I wouldnt have typically played.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

You can look at the current list of games on gamepass. But for me its been awesome, definitely many old games but over the last year it's been a lot of new releases as well. Plus most xbox exclusives coming up will be on gamepass for free day 1. Honestly I would say it probably evens out financially for me as opposed to just buying new games when they come out but I like the options of having access to so many games I wouldnt have typically played.

Thanks!  I have looked at the list, I guess what I’m really wondering is, how many new AAA games come out quickly for it?  It sounds like you’re saying you feel able to play a lot of current or at least recent games through it, which sounds pretty good.  Also, I believe I saw that Halo Infinite is one of the Xbox exclusives that will be released free day one.  Does that actually mean there would be no need to buy that game?  Seems crazy for such a big title.

11 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

Thanks!  I have looked at the list, I guess what I’m really wondering is, how many new AAA games come out quickly for it?  It sounds like you’re saying you feel able to play a lot of current or at least recent games through it, which sounds pretty good.  Also, I believe I saw that Halo Infinite is one of the Xbox exclusives that will be released free day one.  Does that actually mean there would be no need to buy that game?  Seems crazy for such a big title.

Correct. Yeah its been wild and kind of hard to believe but yeah day one games many big names free day one. MLB the Show has been my latest one I've been playing that was free day one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 12:36 AM, EaglesFan said:

As long as it stays on game pass.  Once they take the game off then you'd have to pay for it if you wanted to keep playing.

Game pass is a good deal if you want to try out a bunch of games.  But technically you dont own them so if they ever take them off then you'd have to buy them.  But I'm pretty sure the Halo and Gears of War are all on there and probably not going anywhere.

I'm sure Xbox knows what they're doing but it seems like they'd be losing money putting newer games on game pass.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 3:10 PM, 315Eagles said:

As long as it stays on game pass.  Once they take the game off then you'd have to pay for it if you wanted to keep playing.

Game pass is a good deal if you want to try out a bunch of games.  But technically you dont own them so if they ever take them off then you'd have to buy them.  But I'm pretty sure the Halo and Gears of War are all on there and probably not going anywhere.

I'm sure Xbox knows what they're doing but it seems like they'd be losing money putting newer games on game pass.  

Yeah, I assumed if it were removed at some point down the road that would be the case, but certainly for a game like Halo: Infinite that’s supposed to be developed with very long-term plans it feels like that’s not a huge concern.  I agree on Halo games in general, and yeah probably Gears too.  Forza Horizon 5 is another one I’d be very interested in playing, and I believe that looks like a Game Pass Day One option as well.  I’m an equal opportunity gamer, love all the systems, and at the moment Microsoft’s newest is the only current one I don’t have as last gen it was my least played.  For any criticism that may get lobbed their way though, I think you have to objectively give them the nod on the "game service subscription” options.  It’s making me think I may well get a console, and I wasn’t really in the market for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually saw the Xbox Series S in 2 different stores yesterday.  Couldn't believe it.  First time I seen one of the new consoles in a store since they were released. 

Definitely looking forward to new next gen games coming out. The performance of the Series X is terrific so far. Very happy overall.

• 1 month later...

I know this is the Series X thread, but I’ve got a Series S arriving tomorrow and there is no thread. I’m more into retro gaming and pretty much a casual gamer, so I just couldn’t see spending that kind of coin on a Series X. Regardless, the last XBox I owned was the 360, so even the series S is a huge upgrade. 

On the plus side, it means I already have a huge backlog of XBox One titles to play through while waiting for more of the current gen specific titles to be released. 

Other than Gears (only have played the first 3 games, on the 360), any other good titles I should be looking at? I’m a big survival horror guy so Resident Evil 7 and Village are already on my to-play list. 

24 minutes ago, nipples said:

I know this is the Series X thread, but I’ve got a Series S arriving tomorrow and there is no thread. I’m more into retro gaming and pretty much a casual gamer, so I just couldn’t see spending that kind of coin on a Series X. Regardless, the last XBox I owned was the 360, so even the series S is a huge upgrade. 

On the plus side, it means I already have a huge backlog of XBox One titles to play through while waiting for more of the current gen specific titles to be released. 

Other than Gears (only have played the first 3 games, on the 360), any other good titles I should be looking at? I’m a big survival horror guy so Resident Evil 7 and Village are already on my to-play list. 

bruh if you wanted titles you should have bought at minimum as PS4. all the xbox titles are pew pew pew online titles like COD and Destiny and Madden and the same garbage you can plan on 15 different consoles at this point. If you want a backlog of titles to play you chose wrong. 

52 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

bruh if you wanted titles you should have bought at minimum as PS4. all the xbox titles are pew pew pew online titles like COD and Destiny and Madden and the same garbage you can plan on 15 different consoles at this point. If you want a backlog of titles to play you chose wrong. 

I don’t just want a backlog, I’m just saying all the games I have yet to play will keep me going for awhile even though the next gen titles are pretty sparse right now. 

I didn’t want a PS4 or XBox One because I don’t even buy a console every generation. So why buy a last gen console when this is what I will have well beyond the point when they stop even releasing games for the PS4 and XBox One?

Also, based on research PS Now (or whatever it’s called) blows ass compared to Game Pass, so I was going XBox either way. In which case there is no financial benefit to buying an XBox One right now over the Series S.

Anyway, I’ll wait for others to make suggestions I guess. In addition to the Resident Evil games, Doom, Gears, and MGS 5. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nipples said:

I'm not an Xbox guy but I think the Xbox s deal is an amazing deal if you are just looking to casual game and game pass. My friend had his up last week it's a nice machine. Basically having no load times makes this generation worth for me. I loath loading screens lol. As I'm sure most do but the difference from last generation to this on terms of speed and power is outstanding. 

If you're looking for older survival horror games maybe check out the Silent Hill series of games. Also one of my all time favorite games is Dying Light. Dying Light 2 is coming out on the new consoles very soon also so watch out for that. Pick up a copy of The Evil Within 2 maybe. Also, Dead Space is getting a graphical facelift and re-release pretty soon also. That one is definitely worth playing. As far as other games go you can pick up the new remastered Mass Effect trilogy and that will last you for awhile. Xbox Game Pass can't be beat either if you don't mind paying the monthly fee. They release pretty much all of the new games there plus have hundreds of older games to play for the price of your subscription. 

• Like 2

One thing I will recommend with Game Pass is the weekly/monthly challenges. They give you a challenge for games each week/month for rewards points. The reason I recommend it is the incentive to try a game out and you may find a hidden gem to your liking. I started playing Quantum Break because of a weekly challenge. I just finished it and I really enjoyed it. 

All the Doom games are available including the originals.

The Evil Within is something that might also seem up your alley although I haven't played it yet.

5 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

If you're looking for older survival horror games maybe check out the Silent Hill series of games. Also one of my all time favorite games is Dying Light. Dying Light 2 is coming out on the new consoles very soon also so watch out for that. Pick up a copy of The Evil Within 2 maybe. Also, Dead Space is getting a graphical facelift and re-release pretty soon also. That one is definitely worth playing. As far as other games go you can pick up the new remastered Mass Effect trilogy and that will last you for awhile. Xbox Game Pass can't be beat either if you don't mind paying the monthly fee. They release pretty much all of the new games there plus have hundreds of older games to play for the price of your subscription. 

Dying Light might be one of the most underrated games of last gen. Great DLC too. Can't wait for the new one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

Good suggestions. I played all of the first Silent Hill games back in the day but I probably will replay them. Player Dead Space on the 360, but not the sequel so may have to check that out. 

I have heard of Dying Light but never played. Just may have to check that one out too.  And yeah, I already signed up for game pass and was one of the big deciding factors in choosing XBox over PlayStation. 

On 9/2/2021 at 10:57 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

Dying Light might be one of the most underrated games of last gen. Great DLC too. Can't wait for the new one.

I got like a quarter of the way through and I missed a mission or something I was supposed to do and I saved manually over the auto save without realizing I was missing what I needed to move on. I did the same sheet in Witcher 3 . Stopped blaming both I was to pissed to start over lol. 

Dying light was great though, I hated when it got dark lol. I don't know how many times I screamed and fell out of my chair lmao

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s a question I’ve been trying to find an answer to online unsuccessfully.  I now have a Series S, along with a PS5 and Switch.  On both of the latter two consoles I have been able to set up user profiles for everyone in the family, which is very helpful.  Different people can play the same game as a one player experience, and the console will store their progress separately (the PS5 even allows for trophies for multiple users).  Some games even allow for different users to play together cooperatively on the PS5.  

I cannot figure out how to do this on the Series S, though.  Every time we want to play anything together, everyone else has to sign is a guest user, and all their data is erased after that session.  The same is true for one player games, they all have to use my profile.  Is there a way to permanently add other user profiles on XBox?

15 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

Here’s a question I’ve been trying to find an answer to online unsuccessfully.  I now have a Series S, along with a PS5 and Switch.  On both of the latter two consoles I have been able to set up user profiles for everyone in the family, which is very helpful.  Different people can play the same game as a one player experience, and the console will store their progress separately (the PS5 even allows for trophies for multiple users).  Some games even allow for different users to play together cooperatively on the PS5.  

I cannot figure out how to do this on the Series S, though.  Every time we want to play anything together, everyone else has to sign is a guest user, and all their data is erased after that session.  The same is true for one player games, they all have to use my profile.  Is there a way to permanently add other user profiles on XBox?

You need to create an Xbox Live account using a separate email address. It doesn't need to be a Gold account, just a free one. This has been the case for the One/S/X since they've moved everything online unlike the 360 generally 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mat said:

You need to create an Xbox Live account using a separate email address. It doesn't need to be a Gold account, just a free one. This has been the case for the One/S/X since they've moved everything online unlike the 360 generally 

Thanks, I’ll try to do this.  A little bit of a hassle as my kids don’t really have true email addresses, but hopefully I can finagle something.

Finally getting around to playing Gears 5 and really loving it. I’m about halfway through and for now I’d say it’s definitely better than Gears 3 or 4. 

On 9/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, EaglesFan said:

Thanks, I’ll try to do this.  A little bit of a hassle as my kids don’t really have true email addresses, but hopefully I can finagle something.

Do you have an iPhone? The new iOS 15 has a feature where if you are filling out an online form with an email field, you can tap on Hide My Email or something and it will actually generate a fake email address to submit that then forwards any messages to your primary email inbox. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nipples said:

Do you have an iPhone? The new iOS 15 has a feature where if you are filling out an online form with an email field, you can tap on Hide My Email or something and it will actually generate a fake email address to submit that then forwards any messages to your primary email inbox. Just a thought. 

Wow, did not know about this feature, and yes I have an iPhone.  Very good to know.  Having not known about this option earlier, I created a dummy email account for my son, and got him a user profile that way.  However, last night he tried to play solo for the first time and we realized he can’t seem to play anything that I have downloaded via GamePass.  Definitely a bummer, but it is what it is I guess.  Should I get around to actually purchasing games digitally for the console, will he be able to play those on his own using his profile?