Ok, I’m All In On Travis Fulgham

Runtherock

Just now, Green_Guinness said:

You know where DJax went to college, right?  :P

Yeah and I know what Conference it's in too.;) 

10 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Who took JJaw over Metcalf?

I think we all should know the story by now. After surviving the injuries in 2017 and having more to deal with in 2018 and seeing the S. Jones gamble start to look awful, there was no way the Eagles were drafting Metcalf in the 2nd round with his injury history. It's unfortunate that we were scared to take the gamble. 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

The same guy who can't draft a good WR so he has to go to other teams to get one (Packers this time) or trade for one.Substandard talent evaluation is the only constant on this team.

Or our coaches can't develope WRs and we have to bring in people that were coached up from other teams before being cut. 

36 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Or our coaches can't develope WRs and we have to bring in people that were coached up from other teams before being cut. 

You can't make sh** into diamonds.

47 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I think we all should know the story by now. After surviving the injuries in 2017 and having more to deal with in 2018 and seeing the S. Jones gamble start to look awful, there was no way the Eagles were drafting Metcalf in the 2nd round with his injury history. It's unfortunate that we were scared to take the gamble. 

And who took Hollins, and Gibson, and Pumphrey, and re-signed Agholor and gave Jeffrey a terrible contract extension, and so many other terrible moves. 

This team gets far more wrong than right. 

Hightower had a poor game. Big drop in the end zone. Failed to get out of bounds before the half, and a penalty. That's a Howie draft pick being outshined by a PS player who was dumped by Detroit. The guy making the choices isn't doing a good enough job. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hightower had a poor game. Big drop in the end zone. Failed to get out of bounds before the half, and a penalty. That's a Howie draft pick being outshined by a PS player who was dumped by Detroit. The guy making the choices isn't doing a good enough job. 

And Claypool and Metcalf both destroyed  us as rookies.  Instead we took JJ and Hurts.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

And who took Hollins, and Gibson, and Pumphrey, and re-signed Agholor and gave Jeffrey a terrible contract extension, and so many other terrible moves. 

This team gets far more wrong than right. 

Hollins was a ST standout in college making a 4th rd pick a good place to draft him. As a rookie, he showed nice potential at WR as well. After the sports hernia, he didn't seem to play well upon his return. We had more than enough ST standouts and needed to find someone that can help at WR. Gibson was fast, but wasn't really expected to be a star. He didn't add anything to ST and we basically got nothing from him. Pumphrey was a terrible pick if you wanted a HB. I know the Eagles current staff is in love with the "Sproles" type, but Pumphrey really isn't that type. Being short isn't a problem, but being too small is. The Eagles also envisioned him being a receiver they could utilize from the slot and that never materialized either.

They exercised the option on Jeffery after 2018 which really wasn't a bad season which was on the heels of a pretty good 2017 season. The one thing we learned on two seperate occasions from Agholor is that he can't be "the guy." If you want a good 3rd WR, he can do the job, but if the pressure is on him to shine, he crumbles. He turned out to not be worth that option year, but based on 2017-2018, there was no way to know he would flop so bad. 

We signed Jeffery to a lower than expected 1-year deal and he was a key reason the offense had a great year in 2017. The extension happened before the season ended --- it didn't seem so bad at that time. In fact, I don't remember anyone crying about that on the EMB at the time. It was good news. 

55 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And Claypool and Metcalf both destroyed  us as rookies.  Instead we took JJ and Hurts.

I still don’t get the Hurts pick. I don’t understand why Howie thought it was a good idea to draft a quarterback in the 2nd round. It reminds me of how they used to arbitrarily bring in Vick back in the day, but he’s less talented. 

Mike Tomlin gave Fulgham quite a bit of praise in his postgame presser, which was cool to see. Some opposing coaches don't say much about the performance of opposing players.

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I still don’t get the Hurts pick. I don’t understand why Howie thought it was a good idea to draft a quarterback in the 2nd round. It reminds me of how they used to arbitrarily bring in Vick back in the day, but he’s less talented. 

I think it's because of the Wentz contract and that we can't afford to have a QB2 that costs $6-8 million anymore. We tried a 5th on Thorson and that turned out to be a waste. So we'll at the very least have a cheap #2 for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Mike Tomlin gave Fulgham quite a bit of praise in his postgame presser, which was cool to see. Some opposing coaches don't say much about the performance of opposing players.

I thought I saw Tomlin talk to him ( a little longer than normal) at the end of the game.

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

It's an ongoing and never ending process. Every week they are not productive is a week against them. That's life.

JJaw is garbage, I’m with you there. But Reagor, Hightower, Watkins?  They’re rookies with no offseason and Reagor looked nice before his thumb. Today was Watkins first game, and yeah Hightower made a couple mistakes today. WAY too soon to be evaluating them. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

I think it's because of the Wentz contract and that we can't afford to have a QB2 that costs $6-8 million anymore. We tried a 5th on Thorson and that turned out to be a waste. So we'll at the very least have a cheap #2 for a few years. 

Who’s to say Hurts becomes a good backup quarterback? Just like you mentioned before. Thorson was not good, and just cause they drafted him in the second round doesn’t mean he’s going to be a solid backup. What was the point of putting all these years in Sudfeld then? On top of that we have witness more than their fair share of 2nd round picks fail to live up to their potential. 

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

JJaw is garbage, I’m with you there. But Reagor, Hightower, Watkins?  They’re rookies with no offseason and Reagor looked nice before his thumb. Today was Watkins first game, and yeah Hightower made a couple mistakes today. WAY too soon to be evaluating them. 

You prob have to give a draft about three years before you can really evaluate them. With that being the case I think Howie’s drafts have shown enough to say it’s time to give the job to someone else.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

You prob have to give a draft about three years before you can really evaluate them. With that being the case I think Howie’s drafts have shown enough to say it’s time to give the job to someone else.

That I agree with. I’m a big Reagor fan though. I’d like to see Reagor, Fulgham, Ward should be the three once he’s back. Let the old guys go, or ride the pine. 

6 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I'm not saying that the grades are in on these guys. I'm just saying that every week counts towards the grade. Wideouts usually take a couple years to show who they are. I can wait on them for a while, but I think it's wise to keep adding top shelf prospects just in case these guys don't pan out. Right now they have a lot of questions and no firm answers yet. 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Who’s to say Hurts becomes a good backup quarterback? Just like you mentioned before. Thorson was not good, and just cause they drafted him in the second round doesn’t mean he’s going to be a solid backup. What was the point of putting all these years in Sudfeld then? On top of that we have witness more than their fair share of 2nd round picks fail to live up to their potential. 

Hurts is still cheaper than Sudfeld who probably will be making even more next year for some team than he is making here this year. I think the Eagles believe Hurts is a good backup QB or they wouldn't be deactivating Sudfeld right now. 

It's just part of the process. It's reasonable to expect a 2nd round (graded) QB prospect to have the tools to succeed over a 5th or 6th rd prospect. We have a starting QB that hasn't always stayed healthy, playing in a league that no longer allows you to play with concussion symptoms, covid, etc... So it's important to have quality depth and rookie contracts are how you save money on depth. If he looks like he can be starting in the NFL before his contract (and our rights to him) are up, we can look to trade him. If he looks better than Wentz at some point, we can look to trade him.

The pick wasn't and still isn't popular. I hated it when it happened. I wanted to double dip at WR in this WR heavy class. That doesn't make it a terrible pick, though. 

17 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I'm not saying that the grades are in on these guys. I'm just saying that every week counts towards the grade. Wideouts usually take a couple years to show who they are. I can wait on them for a while, but I think it's wise to keep adding top shelf prospects just in case these guys don't pan out. Right now they have a lot of questions and no firm answers yet. 

Only issue there is I don’t see them going 1st/2nd round on another WR next year, especially if Fulgham turns out to be legit. We need line talent on both sides of the ball desperately, along with secondary and LB help. That is where I hope to see their board fall next year, especially if we’re picking in the top half of the rounds as I expect to be. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Claypool was selected before Hurts.

16 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts is still cheaper than Sudfeld who probably will be making even more next year for some team than he is making here this year. I think the Eagles believe Hurts is a good backup QB or they wouldn't be deactivating Sudfeld right now. 

It's just part of the process. It's reasonable to expect a 2nd round (graded) QB prospect to have the tools to succeed over a 5th or 6th rd prospect. We have a starting QB that hasn't always stayed healthy, playing in a league that no longer allows you to play with concussion symptoms, covid, etc... So it's important to have quality depth and rookie contracts are how you save money on depth. If he looks like he can be starting in the NFL before his contract (and our rights to him) are up, we can look to trade him. If he looks better than Wentz at some point, we can look to trade him.

The pick wasn't and still isn't popular. I hated it when it happened. I wanted to double dip at WR in this WR heavy class. That doesn't make it a terrible pick, though. 

Yeah sorry, but I’m not buying that he will be good, just cause he’s a higher round pick. We have witnessed top 3 quarterbacks turn into busts. Frankly if Howie wasn’t so frivolous with some of these contracts he wouldn’t need to waste a 2nd in hopes they develop a backup quarterback. Furthermore if they’re that concerned over the health of Carson then it was a huge mistake to give him that contract.

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah sorry, but I’m not buying that he will be good, just cause he’s a higher round pick. We have witnessed top 3 quarterbacks turn into busts. Frankly if Howie wasn’t so frivolous with some of these contracts he wouldn’t need to waste a 2nd in hopes they develop a backup quarterback. Furthermore if they’re that concerned over the health of Carson then it was a huge mistake to give him that contract.

You don't have to buy that he'll be good. The people that made the pick do.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Only issue there is I don’t see them going 1st/2nd round on another WR next year, especially if Fulgham turns out to be legit. We need line talent on both sides of the ball desperately, along with secondary and LB help. That is where I hope to see their board fall next year, especially if we’re picking in the top half of the rounds as I expect to be. 

Maybe they won't go after a WR early. I still think they should to give Carson the help he deserves on the outside. I believe that more good linemen are available in the middle rounds than WR's. 

10 minutes ago, Runtherock said:

What I like most about this kid is that he attacks the ball, he wants it and will get it. 

And he isn't making hardly any money contract-wise.  Won't hurt the cap at all.

Archived