Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

4 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

Or he was smart enough to see that this front office is a clown show that micromanaged everything a SB winning HC did and decided to get the F out?

He handled it badly. Maybe he did know what a clown shoe the FO was. But he still handled it badly not a year after signing a mega deal. He was happy to work with the FO then. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He handled it badly. Maybe he did know what a clown shoe the FO was. But he still handled it badly not a year after signing a mega deal. He was happy to work with the FO then. 

Disagree sir. Ben Simmons handled everything badly, Carson kept his mouth shut.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into another Wentz thread. 🤐

So that Jalen Hurts huh? I hope he turns it around so they can build up the defense in the draft. 

9 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

So that Jalen Hurts huh? I hope he turns it around so they can build up the defense in the draft. 

To be honest I think they need to do that anyway. This doesn't look like the draft to go after a QB so better to build the roster. They can either stick with Hurts or go with another more veteran option for a year or two. They aren't going to compete in the next year or so anyway.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:34 AM, Swoop said:

As starters: 

Minshew has a higher completion percentage, higher passer rating, higher QBR, more passing yards per game, a better TD to INT ratio and a better INT%. They are virtually the same in Y/A (6.9 to 7.04).

This is on a much worse roster, mind you. If Minshew is a "true failure" what does that make Hurts?

Hurts may not be the guy, but we spent a 2nd round pick on him, so you need to let him have a full season to see whether or not he can be a starter.  All I'm saying is that rushing to judgement isn't really a good idea with a new QB. Minshew has had a number of opportunities in Jacksonville over the course of 2 seasons, and he couldn't get it done. Mind you, the roster argument wasn't brought up when Foles failed there, yet now it is with Stache 😄

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be honest I think they need to do that anyway. This doesn't look like the draft to go after a QB so better to build the roster. They can either stick with Hurts or go with another more veteran option for a year or two. They aren't going to compete in the next year or so anyway.

Depends who they get for quarterback. A very good quarterback can make you competitive right now

2 hours ago, greend said:

Depends who they get for quarterback. A very good quarterback can make you competitive right now

But who is making this roster competitive right now? I mean aside from Mahomes who they are not getting. Rodgers who's getting older (and I'm not sure would make this team a contender anyway). I guess perhaps Allen? But again they are not getting him. So who realistically could they get that makes his team competitive right now?

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But who is making this roster competitive right now? I mean aside from Mahomes who they are not getting. Rodgers who's getting older (and I'm not sure would make this team a contender anyway). I guess perhaps Allen? But again they are not getting him. So who realistically could they get that makes his team competitive right now?

Watson Immediately makes us competitive once he is cleared to play. But i really do not want him in midnight green (despite the fact he is a baller)

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well, I'm going to say something that will make all the Hurts Huggers (who seem to be scarce around here lately) hate me even more,  Almost anyone makes this roster seem more talented.

2 hours ago, greend said:

Well, I'm going to say something that will make all the Hurts Huggers (who seem to be scarce around here lately) hate me even more,  Almost anyone makes this roster seem more talented.

And look that can be, and is being, debated. But making this roster better isn't the end game. What QBs realistically make this team competitive?

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And look that can be, and is being, debated. But making this roster better isn't the end game. What QBs realistically make this team competitive?

You've already named at least one. Rodgers would easily make this team competitive, so would Watson, hell maybe even Minshew. Almost anyone that is willing to learn and not just rely on his athleticism ( which really isn't even all that great). I seriously wonder sometimes how our scouting department rates players and why Howie blows draft picks way earlier than he needs to

24 minutes ago, greend said:

You've already named at least one. Rodgers would easily make this team competitive, so would Watson, hell maybe even Minshew. Almost anyone that is willing to learn and not just rely on his athleticism ( which really isn't even all that great). I seriously wonder sometimes how our scouting department rates players and why Howie blows draft picks way earlier than he needs to

I'm not sure any of those QBs are turning this team around to be honest. This isn't a good team. 

Some observations of Hurts in recent games:

His pass placement was not most appropriate for the receivers to catch the ball.  Under throws, particularly the long ones, and behind the receiver were the problems, resulting in incomplete or INT.  In some instants, these erroneous passes resulted in pass interference penalties.  While advantageous, these should not be how the play was designed for. 

When Hurts got out of pocket going towards sidelines, he often threw the ball away at the end.  Either the receivers could not get open with the extended play, or Hurts could not process the developments and saw the open receiver(s).  For the former, it would be the duty of the coaches to device something and practice them thru, an easier problem to fix.  For the latter, it falls on Hurts to improve, along with the other passing issues.  To be fair, when Hurts went north and south, he got better results.

The team had not run the ball much.  That hurt the effectiveness of RPO, which seemed to be the favorite.  There should be more plays for Sanders and Gainwell to carry the ball to open the passing game, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure any of those QBs are turning this team around to be honest. This isn't a good team. 

Our offense can be good with a decent quarterback.  imagine Watkins and Smith with someone that can look at 2 reads and can throw. Gainwell is decent,  Goedert, Sanders.

15 minutes ago, greend said:

Our offense can be good with a decent quarterback.  imagine Watkins and Smith with someone that can look at 2 reads and can throw. Gainwell is decent,  Goedert, Sanders.

Someone who can throw in the middle of the field and not ignore it

2 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

6z5v9x8vyfu71.jpg

Too bad there isn't a simple chart like this for potential.  For instance, either Jackson and Allen are better overall athletes than Hurts and both have stronger arms as well.  So despite Hurts putting up better starts, their ceilings are much higher than his.  Can Hurts improve?  Sure, he could.  For right now he has nearly every category to work on (pre-snap reads, being able to go to at least a 2nd read, not getting happy feet in the pocket when all he needs to do is step up or slide over a yard, setting his feet to drive the ball aka his mechanics, being able to throw to ALL parts of the field) except for 'intangibles'.  I would also add that both Jackson and Allen could be considered more 'raw' and needed more work to improve.  Hurts played for 2 of the biggest programs in college and faced better competition so he should have a bit more polish than the other 2, yet when looking at potential he falls short.  No way his ceiling is anywhere close to either of these guys.  He can improve some, but very doubtful he reaches their level or even comes close enough to it.

8 hours ago, greend said:

With Sirianni as HC and calling plays I'm not sure I can agree bud. 

13 hours ago, greend said:

This is it. There are open receivers available in every game repeatedly, then....overthrow, underthrow, wide right, wide left, take off running, delay the pass....its maddening.  This team has offensive talent and it will only get better, but bad QB play is holding it all back.  It's not scheme or coaching.  As said earlier, any QB that will stand in, read the defense, and make progressions makes this team better instantly.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

This is it. There are open receivers available in every game repeatedly, then....overthrow, underthrow, wide right, wide left, take off running, delay the pass....its maddening.  This team has offensive talent and it will only get better, but bad QB play is holding it all back.  It's not scheme or coaching.  As said earlier, any QB that will stand in, read the defense, and make progressions makes this team better instantly.

When the scheme is tied to players, it does become part of the problem.  Of course, if the scheme is built around you and you aren't executing, that's an even bigger issue. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

With Sirianni as HC and calling plays I'm not sure I can agree bud. 

You'll  never find out if Hurts stays

4 hours ago, greend said:

You'll  never find out if Hurts stays

It is looking increasingly likely that Hurts is only going to get 1 year so we shall see next year I guess. I suspect Sirianni will get more than 1 year. 

15 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

6z5v9x8vyfu71.jpg

It's funny because the kid has only had 10 starts but some Eagles fans want to hold him to a standard of a Long Term Starter. He's making young QB mistakes which Young QB's make.  With time and devolvement he will improve.    The facts are this.  Jalen is young and is growing.   I believe in developing QB's.  Which is what we should continue to do with Jalen.    

1 hour ago, KINGnabb said:

It's funny because the kid has only had 10 starts but some Eagles fans want to hold him to a standard of a Long Term Starter. He's making young QB mistakes which Young QB's make.  With time and devolvement he will improve.    The facts are this.  Jalen is young and is growing.   I believe in developing QB's.  Which is what we should continue to do with Jalen.    

Where is he growing? What progression are you seeing that no one else is? As a QB what does he do well that can be game planned for?

Young and inexperienced QBs make mistakes, but somewhere during a game you can see their potential. I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing much of anything.

With that said, he's currently our starter so I truly do hope he figures it out and starts playing like we all want him to play. 

Archived