Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

1 hour ago, ShutDownDB said:

Where is he growing? What progression are you seeing that no one else is? As a QB what does he do well that can be game planned for?

Young and inexperienced QBs make mistakes, but somewhere during a game you can see their potential. I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing much of anything.

With that said, he's currently our starter so I truly do hope he figures it out and starts playing like we all want him to play. 

Obviously after 10 games you've made up your mind.  I have not.   Again there are plenty of young QB's doing worst than Jalen has over his 10 games yet they are given time.   I'm not in a rush to write him off.   The way some of you talk is that he's played bad every game and that's not true at all.   

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

Obviously after 10 games you've made up your mind.  I have not.   Again there are plenty of young QB's doing worst than Jalen has over his 10 games yet they are given time.   I'm not in a rush to write him off.   The way some of you talk is that he's played bad every game and that's not true at all.   

It has nothing to do with my mind being made up or not. I want him to play well. I want him to prove he's the answer long term so they can spend resources elsewhere. Unfortunately I haven't seen the growth you have. 

What is he doing better now, after 10 starts, is he doing better than his first start? Please explain 

2 hours ago, KINGnabb said:

I agree with this. I'm highly concerned about the last two starts but young QBs have ups and downs. He may well not be the guy, but we need to give him more time. So many are so eager to right him off. 

Siriani needs to help him and start running the ball. And Hurts needs to play better. Having Lane back should hopefully help as well. Good guy, I'm still rooting for him.

23 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with this. I'm highly concerned about the last two starts but young QBs have ups and downs. He may well not be the guy, but we need to give him more time. So many are so eager to right him off. 

Siriani needs to help him and start running the ball. And Hurts needs to play better. Having Lane back should hopefully help as well. Good guy, I'm still rooting for him.

I think we all want him to succeed, but the offense can't be scaled back so far to meet his ability..  I also fail to see how running the ball or Lane improves his accuracy or ability to find and hit the wide open WRs he has.  His deep balls are pathetic.  

6 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think we all want him to succeed, but the offense can't be scaled back so far to meet his ability..  I also fail to see how running the ball or Lane improves his accuracy or ability to find and hit the wide open WRs he has.  His deep balls are pathetic.  

I know you want him to succeed, but unfortunately I don't think that's true for every fan or every poster sadly.

Hurts has had good games where he was accurate enough. Falcons and Chiefs he was very good. He's also had a number of TDs and long TDs pulled back because of dumb penalties not on him.

He looked jittery in the pocket against the Bucs. Establishing a running game and having Lane back hopefully gives him better protection and helps him set his feet and go through his progressions. 

Remember how bad Foles looked before the second half of the Falcons playoff game? 

I'm not convinced by him by any means, but he has shown some good this year. I'm staying patient and seeing what he has over the next few weeks.

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I'm not convinced by him by any means, but he has shown some good this year. I'm staying patient and seeing what he has over the next few weeks.

And I think that's all we can do. Hope that he's the answer (because man does that put this team in a very good position) but accept that the reality is he probably won't be. He's show flashes so we shouldn't give up on him yet. But he's also had struggles that are a concern. 

15 hours ago, KINGnabb said:

Hurts never deserved 10 games in the first place.

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts never deserved 10 games in the first place.

In a perfect world he sits behind Wentz for a few years while coaches work on his bad habits, watching the rush, which then makes everything worse, throwing late, inaccurate, etc..    The NFL isn’t like that anymore, if Trey Lance comes out just 2-3 years ago that’s what he’s doing, he gets drafted much later and he’s sitting regardless of how good or bad the teams starter is.  His lack of experience actually helps him in that he doesn’t have bad habits like Hurts does. 
 Hurts will likely be a back up somewhere and probably a good one for 1-2 games a season,  especially if he backs up an immobile QB,  just because of the change of pace he’ll bring.    
 That’s likely his career trajectory now unless teams all of a sudden, stop putting pressure on the QB. 

20 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

What is he doing better now, after 10 starts, is he doing better than his first start? Please explain 

Jalen Hurts in his first season.

Snaps - 334, Total Yards - 1,115, TDs - 9, Turnovers - 6, Yards per passing attempt - 7.2, Completion percentage - 52.

Hurts in his first five games this year.

Snaps - 328, Total Yards - 1,626, TDs - 10, Turnovers - 3, Yards per passing attempt - 7.5, Completion percentage - 64.8.

So to answer your question, completing a higher percentage of passes for more yards, scoring more TDs and turning the ball over less.

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Snaps - 334, Total Yards - 1,115, TDs - 9, Turnovers - 6, Yards per passing attempt - 7.2, Completion percentage - 52.

Snaps - 328, Total Yards - 1,626, TDs - 10, Turnovers - 3, Yards per passing attempt - 7.5, Completion percentage - 64.8.

So to answer your question, completing a higher percentage of passes for more yards, scoring more TDs and turning the ball over less.

Subtract garbage time and those numbers crash

11 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Subtract garbage time and those numbers crash

Not a one-way street. If you start subtracting certain numbers because they don't fit your narrative, you have to add in the TDs and yards that were taken off the board by bad wr/oline play, and also take into account that the coaching scheme has been widely criticized.

Ultimately, those things tend to balance out over a large sample size. If he hasn't shown any growth, we will know by the end of the season. But so far the numbers point to him getting better.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:16 PM, EagleMatt said:

6z5v9x8vyfu71.jpg

Lol

On 10/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, KINGnabb said:

It's funny because the kid has only had 10 starts but some Eagles fans want to hold him to a standard of a Long Term Starter. He's making young QB mistakes which Young QB's make.  With time and devolvement he will improve.    The facts are this.  Jalen is young and is growing.   I believe in developing QB's.  Which is what we should continue to do with Jalen.    

What do you see improving since his first week?

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol

What do you see improving since his first week?

You can't reason with the Hurts Huggers

10 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Not a one-way street. If you start subtracting certain numbers because they don't fit your narrative, you have to add in the TDs and yards that were taken off the board by bad wr/oline play, and also take into account that the coaching scheme has been widely criticized.

Ultimately, those things tend to balance out over a large sample size. If he hasn't shown any growth, we will know by the end of the season. But so far the numbers point to him getting better.

:lol:

Hurts sucks. The numbers are not showing him getting better. You are blinded by his 4th quarter stats when teams are up by double digits and the defense plays a bit more loose. His accuracy is horrible, his ball placement is bad, he ignores the middle of the field, doesn't go through his reads, has missed multiple wide open throws half of which would be tds. Garbage 

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

His stats this season are highly misleading. For example, his completion percentage gets a massive boost from all the screen passes. Also, did you know the Eagles are one of the league leaders, if not the best team, in RAC yards? 

QB growth is something you can see from game to game, not a bunch of numbers posted on a message board. 

Hurts is an inarguably bad passer who lacks redeeming upside traits to demand patience.  

Lamar Jackson: one of the most elusive QB's in NFL history, one of the best players in the entire NFL with the ball in his hands, strong arm, natural release.  

Josh Allen: one of the strongest arms in NFL history, enormous frame, great athleticism

Jalen Hurts: noodle arm, can't see over the OL, great athlete.  

1 of those isn't worth waiting for.

He never deserved an opportunity, hasn't done enough with his current opportunity to deserve an ongoing one, but will continue to start simply because there is no one else.  

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Hurts is an inarguably bad passer who lacks redeeming upside traits to demand patience.  

Lamar Jackson: one of the most elusive QB's in NFL history, one of the best players in the entire NFL with the ball in his hands, strong arm, natural release.  

Josh Allen: one of the strongest arms in NFL history, enormous frame, great athleticism

He never deserved an opportunity, hasn't done enough with his current opportunity to deserve an ongoing one, but will continue to start simply because there is no one else.  

I’m not sure about your last paragraph, any QB that has his success in college, is usually gonna get an opportunity, same for Jones, Tua,  and Mayfield.   As for Allen, his last year in college is pretty equal with Brady’s last at Michigan.  Allen is an athlete, that makes a huge difference. 

Fans hear dual threat, fast dudes, not very tall, who can run, but not really pass, they don’t consider where that QB came from.  Petrino who is far from perfect, was perfect for Lamar.  He coached the crap out of him. 
  6 am everyday with virtual reality goggles on learning when safety’s move on certain plays, which gap certain linebackers use, seeing the openings in zone vs man coverage, etc. 

Lamar’s biggest problem out of high school was leaving the pocket early, (Hurts) so everyday at practice when he did, Petrino blew the whistle and the play was dead, even when he could of scored, and he took tons of snaps under center, to the point that he’s a better passer taking three and 5 step drops, than he is out of the pistol or shotgun, definitely more accurate. 
 Besides Lamar has a much better arm, he left the pocket early like Hurts (admits still does rarely) but he didn’t have the problem of putting his eyes down, then escaping, that’s Hurts biggest issue.  Even if Lamar did that, he has the arm to compensate, Hurts doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

I'm not sure it's a matter of not seeing over the OL, guys shorter than him don't have issues. I think he either doesn't trust what he's looking at or doesn't trust himself. 

His arm might be good enough to get the ball 25 yards over the middle but the dude never steps up. I feel like he's always throwing flat footed or off his back foot.

On 10/20/2021 at 4:31 PM, ShutDownDB said:

It has nothing to do with my mind being made up or not. I want him to play well. I want him to prove he's the answer long term so they can spend resources elsewhere. Unfortunately I haven't seen the growth you have. 

It's about nuance.  Some are blaming Him fully when I don't.  We have issues that aren't just QB play.   I never said he was perfect or didn't make mistakes.  He clearly has.   But the mistakes I'm seeing are young QB mistakes yet people are holding Jalen to a long term starter standard when he's only had 10 starts.   If I compare Jalen to his QB Class and the QB Class this past year.....is he really doing that much worst than them?  I don't think so.   The Kid has been in 2 NFL Systems in back to back years.  (4 Different systems if you count his last 2 college years too) My point is simple.   Some Eagles fans think QB's are built overnight and they are not.  Mcnabb needed to develop, Foles did, Wentz did.  But now Jalen can't?  Why because some fans are impatient?   Sorry, Jalen should get the same opportunity to develop as any other Eagles QB or young QB should.    Look at this year's young QB class, they are all playing pretty average but they are giving the time to develop.  Also the Eagles are 2-4 only 1 Game out of the wildcard as of today.  The season is far from over.   We have a new Coach and system this year.  Jalen deserves time  like any QB does. This year was clearly about giving him a chance in the starting role.   

14 minutes ago, KINGnabb said:

It's about nuance.  Some are blaming Him fully when I don't.  We have issues that aren't just QB play.   I never said he was perfect or didn't make mistakes.  He clearly has.   But the mistakes I'm seeing are young QB mistakes yet people are holding Jalen to a long term starter standard when he's only had 10 starts.   If I compare Jalen to his QB Class and the QB Class this past year.....is he really doing that much worst than them?  I don't think so.   The Kid has been in 2 NFL Systems in back to back years.  (4 Different systems if you count his last 2 college years too) My point is simple.   Some Eagles fans think QB's are built overnight and they are not.  Mcnabb needed to develop, Foles did, Wentz did.  But now Jalen can't?  Why because some fans are impatient?   Sorry, Jalen should get the same opportunity to develop as any other Eagles QB or young QB should.    Look at this year's young QB class, they are all playing pretty average but they are giving the time to develop.  Also the Eagles are 2-4 only 1 Game out of the wildcard as of today.  The season is far from over.   We have a new Coach and system this year.  Jalen deserves time  like any QB does. This year was clearly about giving him a chance in the starting role.   

Hurts is going to get the chance to develop regardless of what we post here. My problem so far, and others around here as well, is that his 10th start looks the same as his first and quite possibly a little worse.

Like I said before, there has been very little, if any, growth as a QB. By now he should be feeling a bit more comfortable in the pocket and able to somewhat read the field. This isn't 2020 where everyone is injured besides QB and center, Jalen has some darn good players to lean on. 

Also, yes, Sirianni is a clown for not running the ball to help his young and struggling QB.

1 hour ago, KINGnabb said:

He doesn’t suck, no matter what his haters believe, but it’s out there, you can’t act like it’s just Eagles fans or his haters that don’t think he can be an NFL QB.  
 Type into Google, Greg Cosell’s scouting report on Jalen Hurts, you can even find some from reports Alabama to Oklahoma.  Then watch him for a game you’ll see two issues from Alabama that are still occurring, but if he can fix those issues, he might be a very successful QB in the NFL, if he doesn’t, he won’t.  
 Lincoln Riley’s system at Oklahoma schemed guys open, sometimes 3, Siriani isn’t Riley and the NFL is a lot different from college.   There’s a reason Ken Stabler is the last Alabama QB in the NFL to win 7 games in a season.  Again, it means zilch if Hurts can fix his two main issues.  He leaves the pocket early and he watches the rush.  
 An improvement on either one of these issues and he’ll likely be a good starter in the NFL, it doesn’t matter if Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, or Bill Parcells coached him every other day, he has to figure it out. 

2 hours ago, ShutDownDB said:

Hurts is going to get the chance to develop regardless of what we post here. My problem so far, and others around here as well, is that his 10th start looks the same as his first and quite possibly a little worse.

Like I said before, there has been very little, if any, growth as a QB. By now he should be feeling a bit more comfortable in the pocket and able to somewhat read the field. This isn't 2020 where everyone is injured besides QB and center, Jalen has some darn good players to lean on. 

Also, yes, Sirianni is a clown for not running the ball to help his young and struggling QB.

I’m not really sure who’s idea it was to run this less than pro style offense or who’s idea it is to put this much on the plate of Hurts with him still developing, but they are doing no service to the quarterback or the team right now. Hurts looked better in the offense last year than he does right now. This offense is so painfully basic and far too reliant on Hurts and not even as a runner. It’s mostly relying on him as a passer. When the Ravens brought in Lamar Jackson they completely changed their offense and based in more on a run style offense while he developed more into a passer. They doubled down on backs. The Eagles have gone the complete opposite way and have basically ignored the run game all together. If you want to be a pass, pass, pass team, then get a quarterback capable of doing that. 

On 10/21/2021 at 4:58 PM, KINGnabb said:

They are talented, Hurts is not.  Andy Hall and Koy Detmer never got 10 starts to prove themselves.  

He never deserved the time and still does not.

Archived