Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, EagleVA said:

No doubt Hurts has accuracy issues but it seems as though every time the Eagles score their opponent answers with a score of their own, in light of that I'm surprised the Eagles have won any games this year. 

13 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Looking at points,   Jalen Hurts is doing better in 2021 than either Jalen Hurts or Carson Wentz did in 2020.

The offense in 2021 - with Jalen Hurts - points per game - is doing better than any Eagles offense except for the Super Bowl year,  going back to 2015 - 2nd best out of 7 years,  with a new coaching staff and basically a new QB.

Stay the course.   Add talent to the defense.

Eagles Points For - per game

2021 - #11
2020 - #26
2019 - #12
2018 - #18
2017 - #3
2016 - #16
2015 - #13

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

More often than not SB wins are dictated by roster talent and not always by who has the better quarterback. 

I also think a lot of the people who are saying Hurts will never make it and focusing on his missed passes are ignoring the number of times he converts a difficult third down with his legs, often with a rusher in his face. A lot of QBs just take the sack or throw it away.

He definitely needs to improve in the pocket, but he doesn’t have to be the most accurate passer to still be effective.

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I also think a lot of the people who are saying Hurts will never make it and focusing on his missed passes are ignoring the number of times he converts a difficult third down with his legs, often with a rusher in his face. A lot of QBs just take the sack or throw it away.

He definitely needs to improve in the pocket, but he doesn’t have to be the most accurate passer to still be effective.

It's not about missed passes, though. It's the manner in which they happen. Missing a wide open Goedert, back pedaling ten steps out of a clean pocket and missing a wide open touchdown. 

Then of course it's the stepping out of bounds or throwing it out of bounds on 4th down. Scrambling and sliding for a loss of yards rather than throwing it away (when he should). Rolling to his right excessively while leaving clean pockets.

His legs are a bonus. We get that, but he's far too reliant on them and lacks the general arm talent to ever be great in this league, IMO. At best, with a good/great team around him he might win a wild card spot/weak division and immediately get bounced the first round.

It could be much worse, but could also be much, much better.

In no way do I agree with the people that imply he won't or can't improve or ever win a post season game against a good team. I agree that he has faults that are holding him and the team back right now. As I stated earlier, his accuracy has me a little concerned at the moment because we haven't seen enough games where it wasn't an issue. His decision making isn't showing growth as the season progresses. Mistakes like throwing the ball away on 4th down shouldn't be happening repeatedly. Recognizing clean pockets is essential to an NFL passer. Getting the ball out to a receiver on time is better than trying to extend a play. 

Click: "Watch on YouTube" 

In the video above, it's an example of a play that has a higher chance of completion if Hurts throws the pass while the WR is wide open. Instead, he waits and forces a pass into triple coverage. (3rd and 10, 4-down territory) Reagor is open right away, Hurts hesitates causing the pass rush to move him to the right and he continues to wait. By the time he makes the pass, there are 3 defenders and we were extremely lucky with the result. 

Hurts is still a young QB and with his work ethic, I'm confident he will improve. I'd just like to see more improvement over the course of this season. I expect mistakes along the way. I want to see him not keep making the same ones repeatedly. 

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Ultimately for QBs, it comes down to accuracy, when/if a team makes it to the playoffs they're usually going up against pretty good defenses that aren't going to give up rushing yards to QBs.

When folks say he's not going to make it as a QB what's left out is "if keep continues to play as he's playing he's not going to make it".

I think the OC and Hurts has to work on several things concerning the passing game 1) the OC has to design plays to use the entire field for the primary target, it seems like they're not using the middle of the field enough, big plays can be had there for WRs with good RAC ability, seems to me too many pass plays are designed for the sidelines  2) as for Hurts, he rarely steps up in the pocket, that may be on Kelce if there's no room to step up but whenever there's pressure Hurts more often than not runs right, when allotted a step or two up in the pocket will give him plenty of time to keep his eyes looking downfield for WRs coming open right in the middle of the field and 3) again on Hurts, he need to practice throwing on the run, there's no need in running right or left if his accuracy dramatically drops when doing so.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

It's not about missed passes, though. It's the manner in which they happen. Missing a wide open Goedert, back pedaling ten steps out of a clean pocket and missing a wide open touchdown. 

Then of course it's the stepping out of bounds or throwing it out of bounds on 4th down. Scrambling and sliding for a loss of yards rather than throwing it away (when he should). Rolling to his right excessively while leaving clean pockets.

His legs are a bonus. We get that, but he's far too reliant on them and lacks the general arm talent to ever be great in this league, IMO. At best, with a good/great team around him he might win a wild card spot/weak division and immediately get bounced the first round.

It could be much worse, but could also be much, much better.

Mostly fair points. I didn’t have a major issue with the Goedert miss as he was under pressure and that happens with all QBs.

A couple of those issues you mention will be relatively easy to work on. A couple won’t be.

I like Hurts and think he has a chance but I’m not under any illusion and know he needs to improve.

As you and others have said, QBs heavily dependent on their legs tend to struggle in the post season. Lamar being a prime example.

15 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

@EazyEaglez may get carried away and obsess a bit on certain topics. I've gone round and round with him myself and have gotten into it with him. Eazy doesn't back down from his thoughts that's where I just let it go if my opinion isn't getting anywhere. 

That being said eazy is no bobbywizdum at all not even close. I've talked to eazy plenty of times on the old board I effing hated Bobby with a passion I would know if this was Bobby lol. 

Eazy has become critical of Hurts lately too so he may **** and bring up Wentz to much for my liking but, I've never seen him gush over Foles like Bobby used to. 

@downundermike I'm not taking sides here, Mike you know I'm a straight shooter and I would tell you if eazy was Bobby in a heart beat. 

I don't care how much you two go at it over Wentz or whatever just don't accuse the man of being Bobby that's where I have to step in because Bobby was trash!! 

Carry on lol

You are very triggered passionate about this!  ^_^  :lol:

I agree, I remember EazyEaglez from the old board as well and it's not bobby, not the same style. 

15 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You are very triggered passionate about this!  ^_^  :lol:

I agree, I remember EazyEaglez from the old board as well and it's not bobby, not the same style. 

Hey I think we can all agree eazyeaglez gets ridiculous on some subjects, I think even he knows that lol.

To accuse him of being Bobby is just to far! You have to draw a line somewhere! Lol. 

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Improving accuracy is coachable, but it takes time. I don’t know if the Eagles or the fan base have the patience for it. That’s why I feel like the Eagles might dump their draft assets and go get a quarterback. It will not help this defense or help get another receiver in here though. Instead of the 24 points a gained we put up now, we may go to 26 and go back to being an 8-9 win team. Yay. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Hey I think we can all agree eazyeaglez gets ridiculous on some subjects, I think even he knows that lol.

To accuse him of being Bobby is just to far! You have to draw a line somewhere! Lol. 

You might hate Bobby more than Chip. 😂🤣😂

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Mostly fair points. I didn’t have a major issue with the Goedert miss as he was under pressure and that happens with all QBs.

A couple of those issues you mention will be relatively easy to work on. A couple won’t be.

I like Hurts and think he has a chance but I’m not under any illusion and know he needs to improve.

As you and others have said, QBs heavily dependent on their legs tend to struggle in the post season. Lamar being a prime example.

He definitely has to improve his touch and accuracy. That Goedert miss was bad and the one to Smith in the end zone was just as bad. Part of the reason his throw was so off in the end zone was due to him moving backwards and not setting his feet. He didn’t trust the line there and bailed too soon. If he plants his feet, and trusts what he sees it’s a touchdown. He can improve on issues like this with time, but honestly I don’t know how much time he has. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Improving accuracy is coachable, but it takes time. I don’t know if the Eagles or the fan base have the patience for it. That’s why I feel like the Eagles might dump their draft assets and go get a quarterback. It will not help this defense or help get another receiver in here though. Instead of the 24 points a gained we put up now, we may go to 26 and go back to being an 8-9 win team. Yay. 

You might hate Bobby more than Chip. 😂🤣😂

Pretty damn close my friend lol

He definitely has to improve his touch and accuracy. That Goedert miss was bad and the one to Smith in the end zone was just as bad. Part of the reason his throw was so off in the end zone was due to him moving backwards and not setting his feet. He didn’t trust the line there and bailed too soon. If he plants his feet, and trusts what he sees it’s a touchdown. He can improve on issues like this with time, but honestly I don’t know how much time he has. 

On the end zone miss, apparently out of that set, the Chargers usually rush 5, it’s a play the Eagles practiced last week, that time they only rushed 4 and Hurts didn’t recognize it, hence the backpedaling which made the throw even harder to complete.  
 Smith says he stumbled a bit as well on the play, but if you look at where Hurts threw it, there’s almost no way for Smith to have gotten both feet in-bounds. 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:50 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The real question is....can we win a Super Bowl with Hurts at QB?   

Argue all of the other points until you are blue in the face, but only one thing matters.  If he can, then the Eagles should stick with him.  If he's an 8, 9, or 10 win, one playoff game and done QB, then the Eagles should move on. It doesn't matter if he can pass (he can't well) or he runs for 2000 yards, all that matters will be wins.  So far, he has shown that he can rack up yards, but not wins.  I'd like to believe that will get better, but I don't think it will change dramatically from what I have seen.

Yeah if only the Dolphins and Bills had realised they couldn't win a Superbowl with Marino or Kelly they could've traded them and signed a better QB that could like Plunkett, McMahon, Williams or Rypien.

It's the real dumb question.

11 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah if only the Dolphins and Bills had realised they couldn't win a Superbowl with Marino or Kelly they could've traded them and signed a better QB that could like Plunkett, McMahon, Williams or Rypien.

Trent Dilfer has as many rings as Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson. Really it makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

On the end zone miss, apparently out of that set, the Chargers usually rush 5, it’s a play the Eagles practiced last week, that time they only rushed 4 and Hurts didn’t recognize it, hence the backpedaling which made the throw even harder to complete.  
 Smith says he stumbled a bit as well on the play, but if you look at where Hurts threw it, there’s almost no way for Smith to have gotten both feet in-bounds. 

It’s a learning process and that isn’t uncommon for a developing quarterback especially a mobile one. He’s going to learn or he’s going to be gone. It’s too early to say he’s definitely going to do either in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The only real dumb thing is you pretending that the organization is not trying to determine his ceiling, so they can identify their next steps.  If they determine that he can't move the organization to the desired levels, they will chase the next option that they think can.  That is true of every QB in the league.  You can bet all of those organizations that you referenced approached their QB in the same exact way and decided that those guys could get them to their goals (even if they didn''t). 

Hurts is currently in "To Be Determined" territory.  If you think he can become that guy, fine.  If not, fine.  But that is the question the team has to answer.

16 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The only real dumb thing is you pretending that the organization is not trying to determine his ceiling, so they can identify their next steps.  If they determine that he can't move the organization to the desired levels, they will chase the next option that they think can.  That is true of every QB in the league.  You can bet all of those organizations that you referenced approached their QB in the same exact way and decided that those guys could get them to their goals (even if they didn''t). 

Hurts is currently in "To Be Determined" territory.  If you think he can become that guy, fine.  If not, fine.  But that is the question the team has to answer.

It’s not a big secret the Eagles are evaluating their quarterback. Most teams with young quarterbacks are doing the very same thing. Unfortunately the Eagles were forced to play Hurts sooner than expected, but that doesn’t mean they’re ready to come to a decision anytime soon. Bottom line is Hurts is their guy right now and he could be their guy for a while. There’s no way to determine who will be a SB winning quarterback. It’s a nonsensical concept to ASSume which quarterback will or won’t be. 

It’s not a big secret the Eagles are evaluating their quarterback. Most teams with young quarterbacks are doing the very same thing. Unfortunately the Eagles were forced to play Hurts sooner than expected, but that doesn’t mean they’re ready to come to a decision anytime soon. Bottom line is Hurts is their guy right now and he could be their guy for a while. There’s no way to determine who will be a SB winning quarterback. It’s a nonsensical concept to ASSume which quarterback will or won’t be. 

More nonsense and purposefully misinterpreting posts to support your assanine narrative.  Not a single time have I said they make the decision right now.  It will take some time for the team to decide.  Maybe it's this year.  Maybe it's next.  Maybe, he's that guy, but IF they decide he isn't, they need to move on.  SB is the ceiling that we need.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:58 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'll tell you what, you can change your name a 1001 times, as soon as I see 'to' when it should have been 'too' I'd know who you are. 

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Yes I am.

So I guess you wouldn’t want to hear the fun fact I heard on how a day on planet Venus is actually longer than a year on Venus? 

Archived