Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

IT BEGINS......Time to take the next step.   They got a taste of the Playoffs.   Now they have to be hungry for more.    Let's hope this season is the Blockbuster Sequel.    

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Hurts be good enough in his 3rd rookie season?   Its time to get the excuses ready.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:42 PM, PackerNation said:

Jags fans rejoiced when they got a sixth round pick out of the Eagles for Minshew. They just wanted that steaming pile of cow dung gone.  

You would have to be a complete f'n moron to think Minshew gives you a better chance to win games than Hurts.                 

b52U3hiqtAcXJcgsOKC9SJhWS5N8XBR4lFjY1iLeHQg.jpg

I wouldn't be upset if the Eagles were able to trade Gardner Minshew for 5th round pick, and just have Carson Strong as the backup (keeping the other guy as a camp arm until the season starts).

It was another brilliant move by GM Howie to sign UFA Carson Strong a QB that at one point might have gone in the 2nd or 3rd round, sure his injury and lack of mobility is a concern but if he is able to sit on the bench this season and learn & heal I think we might see impressive things next year (Preseason) from Carson.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/carson-strong/32005354-5260-6190-8574-8df4e803866b

My closing argument on Hurts before the season starts and the curtain goes up:

Would you want a pilot who is terrible at flying but great at taxiing around the runway?  Is that reason to wait and see if he can improve towards the mean at flying?

Would you want a goalie that can’t stop shots, but has great puck handling?  Is that a reason to wait and see if he can improve towards the mean at stopping shots?

Would you want a surgeon with poor operative skills, but a great bedside manner?  Is that a reason to let him keep going and see if he can become average?

Would you want a clueless nuclear plant manager to continue to learn on the job without getting replaced just because he’s a well-liked leader?

So why is a bad passer at the qb position getting 3 years to incrementally push towards mediocrity as a passer just because he runs well?

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

Would you want a pilot who is terrible at flying but great at taxiing around the runway?  Is that reason to wait and see if he can improve towards the mean at flying?

Would you want a goalie that can’t stop shots, but has great puck handling?  Is that a reason to wait and see if he can improve towards the mean at stopping shots?

Would you want a surgeon with poor operative skills, but a great bedside manner?  Is that a reason to let him keep going and see if he can become average?

Would you want a clueless nuclear plant manager to continue to learn on the job without getting replaced just because he’s a well-liked leader?

So why is a bad passer at the qb position getting 3 years to incrementally push towards mediocrity just because he runs well?

Dude, haven't you heard ????  He is going to be in the MVP conversation this year.

2 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So why is a bad passer at the qb position getting 3 years to incrementally push towards mediocrity just because he runs well?

Why is Hurts our QB?

Because Wentz fell apart and had to be traded and the resultant cap hit did not allow us to sign a QB.

Hurts is just a placeholder until we dive back into the draft, trade for a QB or sign a free agent QB.

5 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Why is Hurts our QB?

Because Wentz fell apart and had to be traded and the resultant cap hit did not allow us to sign a QB.

Hurts is just a placeholder until Carson Strong takes his job and never looks back

FYP

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So why is a bad passer at the qb position getting 3 years to incrementally push towards mediocrity as a passer just because he runs well?

Would you want an oversized rugby player that has never in his life played organized football protecting your QB's blindside just because he's a good singer?

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Would you want an oversized rugby player that has never in his life played organized football protecting your QB's blindside just because he's a good singer?

You mean Jordan Mailata, 7th rounder.

He didn’t start until he was ready.

Hurts still isn’t ready.

Just now, CouchKing said:

You mean Jordan Mailata, 7th rounder.

He didn’t start until he was ready.

Hurts still isn’t ready.

He (Mailata) wasn't "ready" in 2020, but we had no choice. He got better as the season progressed, like young players often do. Hurts may not, as of last season, be the passer some fans would prefer, but he's not as bad as those same fans are pretending he is. 

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He (Mailata) wasn't "ready" in 2020, but we had no choice. He got better as the season progressed, like young players often do. Hurts may not, as of last season, be the passer some fans would prefer, but he's not as bad as those same fans are pretending he is. 

Mailata is also talented.  Protypically so.  Hurts isn’t.  

If Hurts gets extended by July 21, 2022, I will buy a round of drinks at Chickie & Pete’s in Philly or NJ (Marlton).

If he does not get extended by July 21, 2022, anyone that signs up for this deal owes me a beer.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I'm pretty sure that "oversized rugby player" can do a lot more than sing. Can your man do more than be the leading rusher on his team? He has yet to prove it.

39 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Mailata is also talented.  Protypically so.  Hurts isn’t.  

Mailata was drafted purely because of size and athletic ability. He had zero football experience or football talent at that time. Fortunately, he's a coachable person. 

As for Hurts, he certainly has talent. Like Mailata, he is also very coachable. The difference between Mailata and Hurts from a coaching standpoint is that Mailata was a blank slate with no previously developed bad habits to correct. Hurts has to overcome some things that can be a hinderance to QBs at the professional level. 

2 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I'm pretty sure that "oversized rugby player" can do a lot more than sing. Can your man do more than be the leading rusher on his team? He has yet to prove it.

We were clearly playing a game where we ask questions where the obvious answer is, "no." But the obvious answer isn't always the right answer. BTW, Hurts was also the leading rusher and  passer on this team --- just like McNabb and Cunningham in their first full season as starters.

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Mailata was drafted purely because of size and athletic ability. He had zero football experience or football talent at that time. Fortunately, he's a coachable person. 

As for Hurts, he certainly has talent. Like Mailata, he is also very coachable. The difference between Mailata and Hurts from a coaching standpoint is that Mailata was a blank slate with no previously developed bad habits to correct. Hurts has to overcome some things that can be a hinderance to QBs at the professional level. 

We were clearly playing a game where we ask questions where the obvious answer is, "no." But the obvious answer isn't always the right answer. BTW, Hurts was also the leading rusher and  passer on this team --- just like McNabb and Cunningham in their first full season as starters.

He could have passed for a thousand yards and been the leading passer. How many games did quarterbacks other than Hurts start  for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2021? The league is a bit different offensively than it was in McNabb & Cunningham's day. We'll see soon enough.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Now that’s just ridiculous.  So you completely minimize and ignore the massive talent gap between the two and (incorrectly) say that Hurts has talent.  Then you use Mailata’s rawness as an advantage over Hurts’ bad habits.  So I suppose Hurts deserves even extra time because poor Jalen left the two best offensive coaches in the history of college football with bad habits to correct?

If you can’t acknowledge the talent gap between Mailata and Hurts…and if you argue that Mailata was further along as a blank slate than Hurts because of collegiate bad habits…then your perspective is the problem.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Hurts has to overcome some things that can be a hinderance to QBs at the professional level. 

Lack of arm talent

Lack of height

Lack of ability to read a defense

Lack of ability to progress through reads

55 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Now that’s just ridiculous.  So you completely minimize and ignore the massive talent gap between the two and (incorrectly) say that Hurts has talent.  Then you use Mailata’s rawness as an advantage over Hurts’ bad habits.  So I suppose Hurts deserves even extra time because poor Jalen left the two best offensive coaches in the history of college football with bad habits to correct?

If you can’t acknowledge the talent gap between Mailata and Hurts…and if you argue that Mailata was further along as a blank slate than Hurts because of collegiate bad habits…then your perspective is the problem.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thomasrp93/status/1481722824314482688

38 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

So Hurts is starting his NFL career at a deficit by playing for the 2 coaches that have provided the most offensive first round picks over the last 5 years?  Should we be looking at guys that have never played football before for the qb position?

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So Hurts is starting his NFL career at a deficit by playing for the 2 coaches that have provided the most offensive first round picks over the last 5 years?  Should we be looking at guys that have never played football before for the qb position?

Those are your words. I said that players that have played at the high school level and college level often develop bad habits. Those habits may not hinder them at those levels and coaches, even at college, aren't always concerned about them at that level. Are you claiming to know exactly what the coaching staffs at Alabama and Oklahoma stressed specifically with Hurts? Oklahoma has produced a few NFL starters as of late, but that list: Mayfield, Murray, Hurts ... is not a list of QBs that have had their flaws removed by college coaching. They are players that had success at that level with their flaws. 

I never claimed Hurts started at a deficit. I'm just acknowledging that he has more things to correct in his game than Mailata. The QB position is also more difficult to learn and to play than OT, so a QB "project" coming into the NFL has a much fuller plate. When it comes down to it, the people that make personnel decisions and the coaches have to decide if they believe in a player based on what he has done with his opportunity, how he has responded to coaching, how he handles adversity, and what kind of character he has. So far, it appears that those who matter, still believe in Hurts. Instead of going all in for a proven vet QB, they instead continued to strengthen the roster around the QB they have. I know that disappoints you because you can't comprehend a person having an opinion about Hurts that doesn't mirror your own. 

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I know that disappoints you because you can't comprehend a person having an opinion about Hurts that doesn't mirror your own. 

Correct.  I cannot comprehend a professional coach or scout having a positive opinion about Hurts as a qb.  Can’t do it.  No argument here.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, PackerNation said:

And if Minshew is so superior to Hurts then why do you have zero confidence he can take his job in camp?

Maybe you are just spewing complete BS that not even you believe. 

Again, I'll go with the Eagles coaches opinions and mine over a disgruntled fanboy on the internet.

The Eagles coaches are in all likelihood not the ultimate decision makers as to who starts. I don't know how familiar you are with the chain of command at the Eagles but Sirianni is almost certainly not at the top.

On 7/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, PackerNation said:

200w-2.gif

They're not better running backs though. There, feel better?

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

The Eagles coaches are in all likelihood not the ultimate decision makers as to who starts. I don't know how familiar you are with the chain of command at the Eagles but Sirianni is almost certainly not at the top.

Siri is #3.  

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Siri is #3.  

Yup, I'm pretty sure that's the case. Fudgepacker was saying that Siri has Hurts the starter for the season. My point is that it's likely not up to Siri.

Archived