Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

ESP only counts 7 on 7 drills with his stats. He doesnt add in the 1 on 1 drills which Hurts had another pick and should have been a few more on top of that. 

11v11 too

It was weird reading the live tweets that didn’t sound good and then ESP puts out stats with no context. Apparently team drills they were working on a lot of screens according to Zangaro. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Sorry to be a debbie downer again, but I'm starting to wonder if we are asking Hurts to do the impossible.

Basically we are asking him to transform himself from a run-first quarterback to a pocket passer. 

Has that kind of transition ever worked on any other QB in the history of the NFL? 

Can Hurts even transform himself? Does he even have the arm talent?

Hurts doesn’t need to transform into a pocket passer.  He needs to develop his field vision with the goal to distribute the ball to his playmakers, rather than trying to be the playmaker.  That’s what doesn’t work in the NFL.  His mobility can be a big asset if used properly.

Hurts runs entirely too much.  139 QB runs with 432 passes is more than 32% — not sustainable.  Needs to be below 20% if you study mobile QBs through history.  Hurts needs to use his agility to break down the pass rush, keep his eyes downfield, and throw to the receivers who come open rather than to break off a 10-yard run.  Think Russell Wilson, the scramble drill, and the great deep ball he throws after buying time.

There is an advanced metric on Time-To-Throw; during his 2020 starts and his 2021 season Hurts was the worst of all qualifying QBs.  3.12 seconds to throw.  That metric doesn’t measure how good the OL is; it measures how much time it takes the QB to go through his reads and deliver the football on script and on schedule.  Again, Hurts was an NFL-worst in both 2020 and 2021.  Needs to be closer to 2.6 seconds; most of the best QBs in the NFL are.

Hurts needs to stay on script and release the ball quicker.  The leaders in most short passes thrown last season were Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes.  Staying on schedule and fast processing is the key — not scrambling around trying to make sandlot plays.

36 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Hurts doesn’t need to transform into a pocket passer.  He needs to develop his field vision with the goal to distribute the ball to his playmakers, rather than trying to be the playmaker.  That’s what doesn’t work in the NFL.  His mobility can be a big asset if used properly.

Hurts runs entirely too much.  139 QB runs with 432 passes is more than 32% — not sustainable.  Needs to be below 20% if you study mobile QBs through history.  Hurts needs to use his agility to break down the pass rush, keep his eyes downfield, and throw to the receivers who come open rather than to break off a 10-yard run.  Think Russell Wilson, the scramble drill, and the great deep ball he throws after buying time.

There is an advanced metric on Time-To-Throw; during his 2020 starts and his 2021 season Hurts was the worst of all qualifying QBs.  3.12 seconds to throw.  That metric doesn’t measure how good the OL is; it measures how much time it takes the QB to go through his reads and deliver the football on script and on schedule.  Again, Hurts was an NFL-worst in both 2020 and 2021.  Needs to be closer to 2.6 seconds; most of the best QBs in the NFL are.

Hurts needs to stay on script and release the ball quicker.  The leaders in most short passes thrown last season were Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes.  Staying on schedule and fast processing is the key — not scrambling around trying to make sandlot plays.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

29 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Agree. 

It’s a fine line.  We need to get 100 million in production out of AJ Brown.

He needs to resemble Josh Allen’s 2021 stat line.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

It’s a fine line.  We need to get 100 million in production out of AJ Brown.

He needs to resemble Josh Allen’s 2021 stat line.

For him, that’s the goal. 4K yards passing and 500-700yards rushing. If he wants that contract next year, we need to be able to reasonably project him putting up those numbers in the very near future. I don’t think he actually needs to hit those marks this year but we need to see that he will be able to soon.

If we come away from this season still questioning whether he can touch those numbers, then we can’t in good faith give him the contract he wants.

4 hours ago, Thrive said:

For him, that’s the goal. 4K yards passing and 500-700yards rushing. If he wants that contract next year, we need to be able to reasonably project him putting up those numbers in the very near future. I don’t think he actually needs to hit those marks this year but we need to see that he will be able to soon.

If we come away from this season still questioning whether he can touch those numbers, then we can’t in good faith give him the contract he wants.

Then where do we go from there? Just release him? There's no path left for him here if he doesn't get a new contract.

So we basically wasted a 2nd round pick for nothing.

Actually not thing, drafting Hurts actually caused Carson to leave, got Doug fired, and almost destroyed this team.

7 hours ago, Thrive said:

3 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Then where do we go from there? Just release him? There's no path left for him here if he doesn't get a new contract.

So we basically wasted a 2nd round pick for nothing.

Actually not thing, drafting Hurts actually caused Carson to leave, got Doug fired, and almost destroyed this team.

Thrive - agree. Can’t rush or get this contract wrong. Make him play at least part of 2023 if still not sure.

opa-opa- could trade him again. But Wentz caused Wentz to leave and Wentz got Doug fired. Look what happened with him at the Colts.

Plus Hurts let us trade Wentz for a first which helped us get Davis, AJ Brown and two firsts next year to potentially get a QB of the future.

8 hours ago, Thrive said:

The goal is can he show he can read progressions consistently every game instead of reading one target then taking off. His next goal will be having accurate passes with more mid level routes to the entire field, not just short passing to the right side. 

To me the yards wont matter, its about the above mentioned goals. He needs to show he can play as a NFL style QB, not a college one read QB for me to have any faith in him going forwad. Not just for one game, has to progress all season.  

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

The goal is can he show he can read progressions consistently every game instead of reading one target then taking off. His next goal will be having accurate passes with more mid level routes to the entire field, not just short passing to the right side. 

To me the yards wont matter, its about the above mentioned goals. He needs to show he can play as a NFL style QB, not a college one read QB for me to have any faith in him going forwad. Not just for one game, has to progress all season.  

Fair enough — but for most of us TATER idiots, we have no clue what his progressions are supposed to be pre/post snap nor can we tell whether his throwing preferences are designed or based on his limitations. Our best gauge are his stats versus his peers.

And when it comes to contract discussions, it seems like it always comes down to stats anyway.

2 hours ago, Thrive said:

Fair enough — but for most of us TATER idiots, we have no clue what his progressions are supposed to be pre/post snap nor can we tell whether his throwing preferences are designed or based on his limitations. Our best gauge are his stats versus his peers.

And when it comes to contract discussions, it seems like it always comes down to stats anyway.

Hurts is still under contract for 2 more years(including this year). Nothing requires them to give him a new deal after this year so they can be patient. 

In the end, I dont think he will improve to my liking anyways so my hope is they wont resign him anyways unless its to be a backup which he would be very good at. 

Cue the "why are you talking about Wentz” people who have been trashing Hurts, because he replaced Wentz. The irony is the same people who are over analyzing practice right now, but be vehemently clicking their keyboards writing "it’s just practice!” if Wentz were still our quarterback. 😂🤣😂 Anyways get back to your whining fellows. 

CA8DE941-7436-451D-9EA9-1BD0C941DB56.jpeg

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Cue the "why are you talking about Wentz”

No one was talking about Wentz until you brought him up.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

No one was talking about Wentz until you brought him up.

Of course not. Why would you trash your god? You are the exact example of the "why are you talking about Wentz” guy whose been trashing Hurts, because he replaced Wentz guy I discussed in my post though. 😂🤣😂

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Of course not. Why would you trash your god? You are the exact example of the "why are you talking about Wentz” guy whose been trashing Hurts, because he replaced Wentz guy I discussed in my post though. 😂🤣😂

Carson Wentz is irrelevant to the discussion.

Hurts is the Eagles QB, and will be the #1 topic.

Wentz is the Commanders QB, and was traded from the Eagles 531 days ago.

He still lives rent free in your head though.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Carson Wentz is irrelevant to the discussion.

Hurts is the Eagles QB, and will be the #1 topic.

Wentz is the Commanders QB, and was traded from the Eagles 531 days ago.

He still lives rent free in your head though.

It’s all relative and you beanbaggers still can’t get yourself to actually criticize your god even to this day which I find hilarious. The best part is you’re the guy who’s always killing Howie for the cap, but will you give him credit for dumping a guy that is a 28 million dollar cap hit throwing back to back picks in practice? Of course you won’t, because that would need you to be negative towards your god, and we all know you could never do that. You just act in reverse. When Wentz would do well you would chirp like a bird, but when he stunk you would either blame others or just disappear. Now with Hurts when he plays well it’s downplayed or the credit is given to others, but when he struggles it’s just him. You all are terrible predictable. Here’s the truth. I don’t care about Wentz, but I absolutely know that you do. If you didn’t care then you would have ignored my post, but you can’t, cause you worship him like he’s a deity. But yeah he’s in my head. 😂🤣😂

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s all relative and you beanbaggers still can’t get yourself to actually criticize your god

He is not anyone's god, he is the Commanders QB, so I don't care about him.  Am I supposed to take time out of my day to criticize the other 31 NFL QB's when I am discussing the Eagles ??

You need to let Carson Wentz go, no one cares about him, he is on his second team since he left the Eagles 531 days ago.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I know Sirianni has been wearing shirts of other players like a 12 year old fanboy.  It’s a bad look. 

I agree

Yeah, I was all for bashing Wentz when his health determined our draft pick, but after he fulfilled his snap count, I was done with him.  The arguments about him won't be done with though, seeing as he's now a division rival. The  future Hurts vs Wentz threads will be hilarious and ugly lol

43 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Yeah, I was all for bashing Wentz when his health determined our draft pick, but after he fulfilled his snap count, I was done with him.  The arguments about him won't be done with though, seeing as he's now a division rival. The  future Hurts vs Wentz threads will be hilarious and ugly lol

Definitely ugly XD 

"PHILADELPHIA − We all know that Carson Wentz has long moved on from the Eagles, as have the Eagles from Wentz.

But now that Wentz is back in the NFC East with the Washington Commanders, the Eagles have to face him twice each season, beginning Sept. 25 in Washington.

So a comparison is relevant here.

Sure, it's low-hanging fruit to say the Eagles are better off with Jalen Hurts than they are with Wentz. It's also low-hanging fruit to reach that conclusion after seeing Wentz's three-interceptions disaster of a day Monday during a Commanders' training camp practice.”

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nfl/eagles/2022/08/03/eagles-jalen-hurts-improves-training-camp-commanders-carson-wentz-has-brutal-day-interceptions/65387645007/

I didn’t write it. In actuality I was looking up Jalen Hurts, but alas the article makes the point very clear. Dak has never played for the Eagles and we certainly have no problems trashing that guy while he’s in our division, but Wentz is off limits? According to whom? Oh yeah those beanbagging dopes who have no problem trashing our quarterback while defending the Commanders quarterback. Carry on beanbaggers. Get back to trashing our guy while worshiping the loser who cried his way out of town.

No more excuses for Hurts this year.  Second year in the system with the same coaching staff, so he should be completely comfortable in the offense now.  He has the weapons, he has the experience, and this should be his "3rd year leap" season.  

If he doesn't look substantially better (especially with his passing) than last year, it's time to move on.  I really hope to see him play well this year,  but I still think he's destined to be a career backup.  

12 minutes ago, Macho Grande said:

No more excuses for Hurts this year.  Second year in the system with the same coaching staff, so he should be completely comfortable in the offense now.  He has the weapons, he has the experience, and this should be his "3rd year leap" season.  

If he doesn't look substantially better (especially with his passing) than last year, it's time to move on.  I really hope to see him play well this year,  but I still think he's destined to be a career backup.  

Oh come one, you don't think there will be a new list of excuses.

First year with Brown, they need to develop chemistry.

Smith was the #1 last year, now with him being #2 it changes the offense.

I am sure they will have a laundry list of new stuff.

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

There's a new track starting already based on media comments...."look how much better he is than Strong."  It's actually a big point that he is better than a UDFA.  LOL. It's a sickness.

6 hours ago, downundermike said:

-He's not used to running the same offense twice!

- his RB coach was Zoolander

-They draft too tall of lineman!

-They let him run the option again..they know he doesn't know how to read!

-he needs to go to The Derek Zoolander Center for kids who don't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff good too! To learn how to read defenses

- them getting him brown had him stare down his receiver instead of spreading the ball around

Everyone is going to have to consider the possibility...err reality....that both Wentz and Hurts suck.

Archived