Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Talking about future QB classes makes no sense to me.  Every year there are players that pop up that weren't on anyone's radars the year prior.  QB is no exception to that.  

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Trouble is... Whilst I agree that Hurts should get a crack at the job this year what do we think about the QB drafts in the next couple of years? If they aren't great then that's an issue if Hurts isn't the answer. It's a tricky one. 

Last year it was Joe Burrow.  This year it's Trevor Lawrence.  Back in the day it was Goff and Wentz (uh....)

I still don't get why anyone is negative about Hurts.  He has a pedigree, was dropped into 4 games under the bizarro circumstances of being an Eagle during the Pandemic and is only 22 years old.  Quarterbacks develop, they don't come ready to go out of the microwave.  

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Last year it was Joe Burrow.  This year it's Trevor Lawrence.  Back in the day it was Goff and Wentz (uh....)

I still don't get why anyone is negative about Hurts.  He has a pedigree, was dropped into 4 games under the bizarro circumstances of being an Eagle during the Pandemic and is only 22 years old.  Quarterbacks develop, they don't come ready to go out of the microwave.  

Hey I'm not being negative about Hurts bud. I like Hurts, I liked what I saw last year. I thought given the circumstances he played well and improved this offense (despite what some will argue) but is he a guy to build around? I'm not sure. But I do like him. 

46 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Talking about future QB classes makes no sense to me.  Every year there are players that pop up that weren't on anyone's radars the year prior.  QB is no exception to that.  

Burrow wasn’t even on anyone’s radar and became the first pick overall. Roseman said there wouldn’t be any good quarterbacks for a few year as why he went up for Wentz. A year later two clearly better guys were drafted and Dak is just as good as Wentz and he went late that draft. Don’t know why people are so obsessed with getting quarterbacks when all 22 (first round guys) of them drafted at or before 2016 are no longer on the same team. 

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

That's the main concern. Hurts has to be extremely good this year, or the team could face being the bottom of the division for the next five-ten years. Next year's QB class looks iffy and the team would have to be really really bad to have a high enough pick to get one of them. If not, they'd have to package picks and trade up, potentially reaching for a guy just because there aren't any better options. If they stick with Hurts through two years, and he doesn't develop, now you face the current young guys with contracts ending. Then what do you do? Pay big money to Goedert '22, Sanders '23, or Mailata '22 knowing that you still don't have quality QB so won't be contending anytime soon? If Hurts is really bad next year, then the team might have a high enough pick to get a guy in next year's draft. Which still means all the contracts ending in '22 or '23 come into play since the team might not be ready to content. 

It is definitely a bad situation to be in. Everything rides on Hurts being an above average QB. 

Hurts doesn’t have to be "extremely good” in order for the Eagles to win. Hurts has keep the mistakes to a minimum and Howie has to do a much better job of surrounding him with talent especially while he’s making so little money. We have seen the "franchise guy” fail miserably, because he couldn’t carry the team on his own. Build the team up and Hurts will be fine. 

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hey I'm not being negative about Hurts bud. I like Hurts, I liked what I saw last year. I thought given the circumstances he played well and improved this offense (despite what some will argue) but is he a guy to build around? I'm not sure. But I do like him. 

Not you - you’ve been clear.  I just mean in general. 

I keep getting asked by some of the cult of the old regime as to who is trashing Hurts for trying to get better, but for some reason those guys seem to take exception to me posting such things. 🤔 If you don’t have a problem with it them why are you posting against it? 

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Not you - you’ve been clear.  I just mean in general. 

I’m willing to wager the majority of the highly critical guys of Hurts pretty much excused away all the faults of the other guy.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I keep getting asked by some of the cult of the old regime as to who is trashing Hurts for trying to get better, but for some reason those guys seem to take exception to me posting such things. 🤔 If you don’t have a problem with it them why are you posting against it? 

Because you are trying to create a narrative that he is doing things that are not done by every QB in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Because you are trying to create a narrative that he is doing things that are not done by every QB in the NFL.

I don’t see 32 reports of quarterbacks working with receivers. Somehow when it’s about Hurts y’all getting bent out of shape. Furthermore I’m not pushing any narrative other than he’s working to get better, but I guess him working to get better really must make you guys upset for some reason. I wonder what is the reason why? 🤔🤔🤣😂🤣

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

That’s not how I read it.  The narrative EZ is making is that finally an Eagles quarterback is showing some leadership.  Wentz went through the motions but at the end of the day he was insincere and not a good teammate.

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t see 32 reports of quarterbacks working with receivers. Somehow when it’s about Hurts y’all getting bent out of shape. Furthermore I’m not pushing any narrative other than he’s working to get better, but I guess him working to get better really must make you guys upset for some reason. I wonder what is the reason why? 🤔🤔🤣😂🤣

I will be sure to post them when they happen.  Get ready for 31 updates, lets start with this one.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/03/14/colts-news-carson-wentz-working-out-colts-receivers/4691696001/

10 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

These are the same guys who were all in on Kevin Kolb as well, I suspect.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

That’s not how I read it.  The narrative EZ is making is that finally an Eagles quarterback is showing some leadership.  Wentz went through the motions but at the end of the day he was insincere and not a good teammate.

June 2020

July 2019

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/10/eagles-carson-wentz-bonding-wide-receivers-houston/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-eagles-receivers-flock-to-north-dakota-to-work-out-with-carson-wentz/

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I will be sure to post them when they happen.  Get ready for 31 updates, lets start with this one.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2021/03/14/colts-news-carson-wentz-working-out-colts-receivers/4691696001/

Where’s the update he’s working with a QB guru. That’s also part of the "everyone does it” stuff. Make sure you add that too. 😂🤣😂

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

June 2020

This is the "going through the motions” part - right before he blew up the season.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

These are the same guys who were all in on Kevin Kolb as well, I suspect.

I’m not all in on Hurts. Truth is I don’t know what he is, but I think it’s best we find out and frankly I like that he’s a hard worker and players and coaches rave about his leadership skills. I want to see what the kid can do. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Where’s the update he’s working with a QB guru. That’s also part of the "everyone does it” stuff. Make sure you add that too. 😂🤣😂

January 2017

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Carson-Wentz-to-work-with-QB-guru.html

https://insidetheiggles.com/2018/05/07/carson-wentz-recently-mechanics-re-evaluated/

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This is 2021 bud. This is Hurts second time working with a guru, and considering your god looked like gutter trash in mechanics last year I’d like to see something a little more relevant. So make sure you have present day workouts to go with present day gurus to prove your "everyone is doing it” talk. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m not all in on Hurts. Truth is I don’t know what he is, but I think it’s best we find out and frankly I like that he’s a hard worker and players and coaches rave about his leadership skills. I want to see what the kid can do. 

Of course they should.  He was an elite college quarterback taken in the second round.  He’s 22.  Let’s see what happens with a real off season and training camp.

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Of course they should.  He was an elite college quarterback taken in the second round.  He’s 22.  Let’s see what happens with a real off season and training camp.

I’m with you bud. I don’t understand why so people are so bent out of shape over this. They should be happy our guy is working to get better. 

IMO part of the issue with Carson (and not in his control) is after the season with the QB guru in offseason he dealt with injuries and was having to do significant rehab in the offseason, multiple seasons, and then last year we had covid killing the offseason.  Oh well.  Time to move on.

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

In a benched, transferred, and talked to scouts about changing positions sort of elite.

All I know, is that playing with similar talent around them last year, Hurts was better than Carson.    That is the only real and equal comparison you can make as both played with a horrid OL situation.   I don't care about stats.   The Eagles were a better team last year with Hurts than Carson.

On top of that, Hurts seems to have a better head on his shoulders and is a better teammate (i.e. see Foles).     There is no reason not to roll with Hurts.   If he fails, then Howie wasted a 2nd on him and we can move on.  

3 hours ago, Pliny said:

n top of that, Hurts seems to have a better head on his shoulders and is a better teammate (i.e. see Foles).     There is no reason not to roll with Hurts.   If he fails, then Howie wasted a 2nd on him and we can move on.  

I certainly think based on what we've heard and what we've seen on the field there does seem to be some truth here. Players seemed to raise their game for whatever reason when Foles and then Hurts came in. 

Archived