Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

3 hours ago, Pliny said:

All I know, is that playing with similar talent around them last year, Hurts was better than Carson.    That is the only real and equal comparison you can make as both played with a horrid OL situation.   I don't care about stats.   The Eagles were a better team last year with Hurts than Carson.

On top of that, Hurts seems to have a better head on his shoulders and is a better teammate (i.e. see Foles).     There is no reason not to roll with Hurts.   If he fails, then Howie wasted a 2nd on him and we can move on.  

A better team that still looked horrible and lost...I guess that's better in some weird sort of way.  That's the good old eye test (opinion) that is used around here all of the time. 

However, there is a reason to take a QB.  Right now, it takes one pick to get a top QB in the draft. After Hurts runs around to a 6, 7, or 8 win season next year, we will have to trade up to get there again.  The #1 call that the coaches and FO needs to make is if he can get the team to the playoffs and Super Bowl in a reasonable amount of time.  If not, QB is definitely in play at 6.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

A better team that still looked horrible and lost...I guess that's better in some weird sort of way.  That's the good old eye test (opinion) that is used around here all of the time. 

However, there is a reason to take a QB.  Right now, it takes one pick to get a top QB in the draft. After Hurts runs around to a 6, 7, or 8 win season next year, we will have to trade up to get there again.  The #1 call that the coaches and FO needs to make is if he can get the team to the playoffs and Super Bowl in a reasonable amount of time.  If not, QB is definitely in play at 6.

Bottom line it all comes down to what belief the organisation have in Hurts. If they think he can be a really good QB who can win with talent around him then they stick with him. If not then they need to seriously consider QB this year. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bottom line it all comes down to what belief the organisation have in Hurts. If they think he can be a really good QB who can win with talent around him then they stick with him. If not then they need to seriously consider QB this year. 

Yep. That decision needs to be made, but it is not so clear cut that QB shouldn't be considered at #6, like some want to believe.  Hurts has tons of question marks around his ability to actually play the position at a high enough level to win.

Hurts could easily be the second best QB in the division this season. Eagles won't have the second best team but they could have the second best QB who would be an ascending player in Jalen Hurts. 

I really can't wait for him to silence some of the haters here as long as Sirianni shows himself to be a competent coach and play caller. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the end 3 1/2 games of play isn’t enough to figure out either way so you need to see other intangibles. Heck 12 games of sucking by Wentz and an average of 8 wins a season, no playoff victories, and one playoff appearance since he’s been here and you see the beanbaggers still loving that dude though. Funny most of those guys still think Wentz deserved more chances, but have all written off Hurts after three and a half games. Yet they all get upset when you call them out on their B.S. if the Eagles draft another quarterback at 6 it’s certainly their choice to do so, but to spend a 2nd the year prior on the same position would just show how dysfunctional they truly are. 

Nope. Howie is going to skip over what the teams needs and he takes.... another QB. Book it. I will be HAPPY to come back and eat crow if this doesn't happen. He can't help himself. Howie takes a QB with this years pick.

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I certainly think based on what we've heard and what we've seen on the field there does seem to be some truth here. Players seemed to raise their game for whatever reason when Foles and then Hurts came in. 

There's something to be said about rallying around the backup thinking they need more support.  We saw it with McNabb as well.  

I do think Carson had problems in building relationships with all the players and that's not realistic that everyone will like you.  He had his circle and that was probably it.  He was best friends with Ertz.  Other veteran players stood up for him: Kelce, Cox, Brooks, Chris Long, Torrey Smith, others.  Fletcher Cox said he was a close friend.  It seems the younger players like Sanders and Reagor take to Hurts more which may be due to them being young players as well.  

Either way, Hurts is the starter at the moment unless they do something crazy.  I like Hurts, he seems to have strong work ethic and leadership qualities.  He showed a mix of some impressive things and some things to work on which is really what you would expect from any rookie, and he only started 4 games.  So we'll see how this goes with the new coaches and system.  If they get Chase or Pitts to give him a weapon that could get really fun.

18 hours ago, eagle45 said:

In a benched, transferred, and talked to scouts about changing positions sort of elite.

Heismann runner up elite.

And your point is illogical. The transfer portal in college is like free agency in the NFL. Players looking for the best option. Justin Fields transferred from Georgia and he’ll go in the top 5 so...

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The Heisman is not a measuring stick.  Tebow and Manziel both won it.  So did Danny Wuerful, Chris Wienke and Troy Smith.

I could list runner ups for days that did nothing in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The Heisman is not a measuring stick.  Tebow and Manziel both won it.  So did Danny Wuerful, Chris Wienke and Troy Smith.

Winning the heisman is like going to the pro bowl. 

49 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

And your point is illogical. The transfer portal in college is like free agency in the NFL. Players looking for the best option. Justin Fields transferred from Georgia and he’ll go in the top 5 so...

There is no logic in my post at all.  I simply stated factual events.

48 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Why not start with the pair of Heisman winning top overall picks that HIS OWN offense produced?  Both better than Hurts in that offense, both better pro prospects, both VASTLY better passers than Hurts in year 1....and both appear too flawed as passers to really cut it as franchise guys in the NFL.

But by all means, let’s roll with Hurts.

50 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Sirianni meeting Hurts. 

2m6zyc61rvn61.jpg

I want that jacket

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Winning the heisman is like going to the pro bowl. 

Or almost winning MVP....

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Sirianni meeting Hurts. 

2m6zyc61rvn61.jpg

Hurts is wondering if he’s older than his coach.😂

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Or almost winning MVP....

Hurts is wondering if he’s older than his coach.😂

Or almost being sacked #presssurzzz

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Or almost being sacked #presssurzzz

Nothing says he’s the best at what he does like almost getting to the quarterback.😂

13 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Sirianni meeting Hurts. 

2m6zyc61rvn61.jpg

Larry-David-Jerry-Seinfeld-Stare-Off.gif

18 hours ago, downundermike said:

And I could list runners-up for days who became NFL stars.  Like:

John Elwan, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Vince Young, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence.  

Is it the end-all? No.  Is a 22 year old QB with a Heisman pedigree (driven by a 70% completion percentage at Oklahoma) who we took in the second round worth a looooong look?  Of course. 

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

2m6zyc61rvn61.jpg

He's wearing plaid on plaid.  That used to be a faux pas. 

On 3/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, Fresh_Prince said:

I want that jacket

Which one?  

:lol:

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Which one?  

:lol:

Hurts' jacket

Siri's jacket is for guys with a special kind of energy

On 3/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, RememberTheKoy said:

Hurts could easily be the second best QB in the division this season. Eagles won't have the second best team but they could have the second best QB who would be an ascending player in Jalen Hurts. 

I really can't wait for him to silence some of the haters here as long as Sirianni shows himself to be a competent coach and play caller. 

Rank them...

Are you saying the only way Hurts fails is based solely on Sirianni's performance?  If so, that's a new pre-excuse for bad QB play.

5 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Rank them...

Are you saying the only way Hurts fails is based solely on Sirianni's performance?  If so, that's a new pre-excuse for bad QB play.

How am I saying that Hurts fails when I am saying he could easily be the 2nd best QB in the division this season?  And where at all did I even mention Sirianni?  What a bizarre post by you.  

Archived