Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Is this another cry about the back up thread? Lol. Suprising how many hated drafting Hurts as a back up with the way you guys obsess over the back up like he should also be a pro bowler and also take us to the super bowl like it's a normal thing that always happens. 🙄

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

No kidding?!  Each offense has some specific actions and systems tied to individual QBs.  Each of them have their own packages.  It's always been that way and always will be that way.  It's no different that the change in offense from Wentz to Foles (or any other QB change).  

My point is...I sure hope the Eagles certainly will build an offense that attempts to tone down Hurts' running tendency and try to make him work from a safer, more controlled environment...where most QBs work best.  If the Eagles are only going to build a running QB offense that has Hurts running college options and naked sweeps, he will be done for the season soon after it starts (and if they can't adjust after, that makes Flacco a stupid signing).  I doubt that happens though.   I'd bet right now that they are working with Hurts to stay in the pocket, go through progressions, and protect himself...you know, standard QB stuff...the stuff Flacco (and every other successful QB) does already. 

We will find out soon enough.   

The new staff might be forced to do a little bit of both. Hurts was placed in a more traditional NFL offense last year and he still went off script unnecessarily without going through his progressions. So maybe they have a few scripted QB runs in there to make him feel comfortable as they try to teach him to play QB. It will probably come down to IF Hurts can and/or is willing to relearn the position he's played for the past ten years.

If not, then for the good of the team I hope it is a total collapse rather than inconsistent play because that would mean a higher draft pick and less need to spend the other high picks they have next year. The more likely scenario is that he is inconsistent and has some good games, some bad games, and some average games. That will be a nightmare for the team. Do they pull the trigger and use their accumulated draft picks to move up for a QB? Or do they give Hurts another year knowing that if he is not the guy, they will have to mortgage their future to move up in 2023? Or do they spend a lot of money/draft picks for a veteran QB losing the benefit of a young QB on a rookie contract?

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

The new staff might be forced to do a little bit of both. Hurts was placed in a more traditional NFL offense last year and he still went off script unnecessarily without going through his progressions. So maybe they have a few scripted QB runs in there to make him feel comfortable as they try to teach him to play QB. It will probably come down to IF Hurts can and/or is willing to relearn the position he's played for the past ten years.

If not, then for the good of the team I hope it is a total collapse rather than inconsistent play because that would mean a higher draft pick and less need to spend the other high picks they have next year. The more likely scenario is that he is inconsistent and has some good games, some bad games, and some average games. That will be a nightmare for the team. Do they pull the trigger and use their accumulated draft picks to move up for a QB? Or do they give Hurts another year knowing that if he is not the guy, they will have to mortgage their future to move up in 2023? Or do they spend a lot of money/draft picks for a veteran QB losing the benefit of a young QB on a rookie contract?

Your 2nd concept is most likely.  They certainly should try to tone down his "one read and run" tendency.  Unfortunately, I doubt they succeed and we will be all over the place.  My belief is that he can play his game, run around and be exciting.  That is 7 or 8 win stuff and we are mid pack.  

52 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Your 2nd concept is most likely.  They certainly should try to tone down his "one read and run" tendency.  Unfortunately, I doubt they succeed and we will be all over the place.  My belief is that he can play his game, run around and be exciting.  That is 7 or 8 win stuff and we are mid pack.  

I think having no offseason, no OL and a coach that dumbed down the offense does that to you.

Hurts is the guy, he already did really well - but wait till you see him this season.

2 hours ago, kentwo said:

I think that is total BS. For the last ten years? You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

At Oklahoma he played excellent and threw an accurate ball. To say he just ran it and didn't go through progressions there isn't true.

32 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think having no offseason, no OL and a coach that dumbed down the offense does that to you.

Hurts is the guy, he already did really well - but wait till you see him this season.

OK, Ms. Hurts.  Whatever you say.

32 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think that is total BS. For the last ten years? You clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

At Oklahoma he played excellent and threw an accurate ball. To say he just ran it and didn't go through progressions there isn't true.

He did have a hell of a year throwing his last year in college. The stats say he did anyways, we shall see if that is the QB he becomes or the one from Alabama. 

1 hour ago, Infam said:

You're an idiot. How long do you think he's been playing the QB position? He's 22 now so ten years would put him right at the pop warner intermediate age. So if he hasn't fixed these problems by now, he has a lot of work to do. It's a steep learning curve to get it figured out by next season, not impossible, but will take concerted effort on his end to fix his mental mistakes.

As you don't watch know much about his scouting reports out of OK.

"Hurts is a more accurate passer and better runner than Tebow but is inconsistent as a decision-maker and tends to break the pocket when throws are there to be made."

"Has issues sustaining rhythm as passer with so many off-schedule throws. Inconsistent patience allowing routes to develop. Slow recognition of early throw opportunities"

"Has had some nasty lapses when working through extended plays, would like to see more commitment to taking profits and not trying to force ball. "

"Bit of a visual passer and as a result he can be slow to work off primary reads at times. Too often he'll lock into preferred target or his best player and freelance before he's got an available throwing window to slot a throw. Will need some coaching up in this regard. "

"Sometimes he leaves a pocket without any pressure on him whatsoever, and sometimes he starts running backward to avoid a sack ... only to get sacked for a ton of yards more.vHurts also made plenty of predetermined throws and didn't always read the field well."

"ESPN and other media outlets hyped Hurts throughout 2019, but in speaking to some sources, they did not see Hurts that way. They feel he struggles to read defenses, too often after one read he looks to run, is not that accurate, does not have impressive arm strength, and is not a great runner for the NFL."

Doesn’t play with much urgency in the pocket while reading the defense and will have to speed up his process.

—Arm motion is stiff and delayed, but showed improvements at the Senior Bowl and combine.

—Must learn to play from within the pocket; has a Baker Mayfield-like habit of leaving clean pockets early.

Weaknesses:

• Very limited passer
  • Struggles to see the field
  • Poor vision
  • Struggles to read defenses
  • Slow to work through progressions

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

You're an idiot. How long do you think he's been playing the QB position? He's 22 now so ten years would put him right at the pop warner intermediate age. So if he hasn't fixed these problems by now, he has a lot of work to do. It's a steep learning curve to get it figured out by next season, not impossible, but will take concerted effort on his end to fix his mental mistakes.

As you don't watch know much about his scouting reports out of OK.

"Hurts is a more accurate passer and better runner than Tebow but is inconsistent as a decision-maker and tends to break the pocket when throws are there to be made."

"Has issues sustaining rhythm as passer with so many off-schedule throws. Inconsistent patience allowing routes to develop. Slow recognition of early throw opportunities"

"Has had some nasty lapses when working through extended plays, would like to see more commitment to taking profits and not trying to force ball. "

"Bit of a visual passer and as a result he can be slow to work off primary reads at times. Too often he'll lock into preferred target or his best player and freelance before he's got an available throwing window to slot a throw. Will need some coaching up in this regard. "

"Sometimes he leaves a pocket without any pressure on him whatsoever, and sometimes he starts running backward to avoid a sack ... only to get sacked for a ton of yards more.vHurts also made plenty of predetermined throws and didn't always read the field well."

"ESPN and other media outlets hyped Hurts throughout 2019, but in speaking to some sources, they did not see Hurts that way. They feel he struggles to read defenses, too often after one read he looks to run, is not that accurate, does not have impressive arm strength, and is not a great runner for the NFL."

Doesn’t play with much urgency in the pocket while reading the defense and will have to speed up his process.

—Arm motion is stiff and delayed, but showed improvements at the Senior Bowl and combine.

—Must learn to play from within the pocket; has a Baker Mayfield-like habit of leaving clean pockets early.

Weaknesses:

• Very limited passer
  • Struggles to see the field
  • Poor vision
  • Struggles to read defenses
  • Slow to work through progressions

Basically they are telling you in 5 different ways he is not even close to being an NFL QB as a passer from within the pocket 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Basically they are telling you in 5 different ways he is not even close to being an NFL QB as a passer from within the pocket 

Those were from around six-seven different sites. Pretty much saying exactly that.

From a very young age he has probably always been the fastest most athletic player on the field and learned to use those skills to be successful. Now at the NFL level there are a lot of fast athletic guys playing with you. So unlearning his tendencies to rely on running and learning to read and progress as a passer are going to be critical for his success as well as longevity. It can be done, L.Jackson and J.Allen are recent mobile QBs that improved as passers after their first year, so its possible, it just depends on if he is able to get rid of those habits.

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Difference with those 2 qbs is lamar has elite speed that keeps the defense more focused on that and willing to let him beat him with his arm. Hurts doesn't have that kind of speed.. josh Allen has an elite arm and just needed to work on his progressions and accuracy as well but he can afford to make mistakes throwing into tight windows and what not because of his elite arm strength and Hurts doesn't have that either so he needs to make the right throw and can't fit it into tight windows with his average arm. 

Hurts had 2 300 yard passing games in 3 full games.  Lamar Jackson had 0 all season.  I'm not saying Hurts is better than Jackson of course but he still accomplished what Jackson didn't all season

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Hurts had 2 300 yard passing games in 3 full games.  Lamar Jackson had 0 all season.  I'm not saying Hurts is better than Jackson of course but he still accomplished what Jackson didn't all season

That's true, dammit idk lol. I like Hurts and he seems like a great kid and wants to be great. I just don't know if he can be anymore then a solid starter. I'm not sure what it is that is keeping me from thinking anymore from him. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That's true, dammit idk lol. I like Hurts and he seems like a great kid and wants to be great. I just don't know if he can be anymore then a solid starter. I'm not sure what it is that is keeping me from thinking anymore from him. 

That's totally fair. I'd say the odds of him emerging are probably 50/50 at best but I like him and am obviously rooting for him

6 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

That's totally fair. I'd say the odds of him emerging are probably 50/50 at best but I like him and am obviously rooting for him

Me too even if it doesn't seem like I am. Just cautious for now

16 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I just haven't seen enough.  The small sample during the pandemic certainly isn't enough to go by but the Eagles leadership is clearly intrigued.  And if he doesn't play well, a whole new group of "can't miss" (and by that, I mean 95% will bust) quarterbacks will be on the board next year. 

But there's something about him that  I like. 

I would draft 3 OLineman in the first round and then D. We need to protect the QB like crazy and then sort the rest of it out later.

On 5/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, Hawkeye said:

But there's something about him that  I like. 

He's the Eagles QB.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:02 PM, Infam said:

You have a very different take on what "really well" means.

38 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

why would Lamar have a 300 yard passing game when 95% of the time they had a double digit lead in the 2nd half

Stupid stat. 

Same thing with the " when a team has a 100 yard rusher they win 97% of the time) no ****. Team with big lead runs the ball more

Yeah, Chiefs always win big so no wonder Mahomes doesn’t put up 300 much. Oh wait...

Getting Hurts a receiver he’s familiar with should only improve his chances to develop. The kid is also a hard worker and natural leader. I don’t know if this kid will work out, but I’m rooting for him. 

Jalen Hurts might be okay if:

1) the OLine is not Swiss cheese

2) the receivers can get open

3) he can find the open receiver

Do you ever see Tom Brady running for his life on every play? No. He always has time to pick the D apart.

7 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Every quarterback in the league might be okay if:

1) the OLine is not Swiss cheese

2) the receivers can get open

3) he can find the open receiver

Do you ever see Tom Brady running for his life on every play? No. He always has time to pick the D apart.

fyp

Jalen Hurts might win some games if:

1) the Eagles score more points than the other team

32 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Jalen Hurts might win some games if:

1) the Eagles score more points than the other team

Pretty good analysis there...

Archived