EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Browns and Titans traded out of the top two in the Goff/Wentz draft. The Colts traded down with Jets in the Darnold draft. That’s in the past five years off the top of my head. 

Technically, Miami traded down with the Eagles in the Wentz draft even before the Rams made the deal with the Titans.   But, it is unusual.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Raiders got more then that

Raiders actually get less than 2 1sts because Gruden is an awful GM.

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

The Eagles should struggle the next two years, but Miami wasn't expect to win more than 4 or 5 games last year after they dumped half the team.

There's a reason they play the games, Eagles will have a top OL, Sanders, Goedert, young WRs, a couple weapons out of the draft. Siriannis comes from a team that has had great success turning mediocre skill people into productive players. Two years ago Indy scored 361 points with Brissett throwing to over the hill Hilton, Pascal, Rogers, Campbell, Doyle and Ebron, with 4th rd RB Mack going for 1000 yards.

Gannon's defense should struggle out of the box, but he'll have a veteran DL, experienced safeties, a couple draft picks and who knows? Maybe giving CBs protection will turn guys who look like scrubs into players. Stranger things have happened.

It's a really good year for a rebuilding team to dumpster dive, teams that think they're playoff contenders won't be patient with later round and 2nd year players who don't have mini-camps and struggle in training camp, so there may be some bargains on the waiver wire as teams try to slip them onto the PS to make room for game ready veterans.

Right now the focus should be on adding assets, developing assets, then worry about winning games. Winning should be a byproduct of adding young talent.

As far as Miami trading back, who cares? Howie got good value, "woulda coulda shoulda" is not a recipe for success, if someone makes a good offer, you don't screw up a good thing hoping that something better might come along. As far as draft strategy, you ignore #6, and think in terms of #12, if a player you love unexpectedly falls, you use that Indy 3rd, move up 3 slots and grab him (12 to 9 does not require a king's ransom, and if it does, pass).

Like the idea of dumpster dive.  Waiver will be a gold mine for good talents at cut-down time.

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

It’s really easy to question it when you aren’t facing a deadline to make the move. 

Could a team come in late and offer the Dolphins more? I suppose. But imagine if it came out after the draft that we turned down a future 1 to move from 6 to 12. People would absolutely bash Howie for that. He can’t win with a lot of people. 

He also can't win with a lot of his moves, especially the recent moves.

BUT... I'm not going to bash Howie for moving back from #6 to #12 when he did.   I wanted more draft picks in 2022... and that move accomplished that.  

However, if he drafts a QB at 12 and claims that they knew all along that this was their guy, then I will call BS.  They hoped he'd be there.   But, that is playing a dangerous game, which likely means that unlike in 2016 where they were convinced that Wentz was the guy they wanted and they were aggressive to make sure that they got their QB... moving back to 12 if you have a QB as your primary target is NOT a smart move.  Because there's a very good chance that he won't be there, especially if he's such a good talent that you make him the top priority in this draft.   I would be more upset with the QB selection at 12 than if they'd have sat at 6 and did the same thing, even with the extra pick in 2022.  It indicates that they were NOT sold on that QB 100% and were just taking the 'value' play.   That's not how you approach the QB position.  That's how you scuttle your franchise.. again.

16 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

The Browns and Titans traded out of the top two in the Goff/Wentz draft. The Colts traded down with Jets in the Darnold draft. That’s in the past five years off the top of my head. 

That’s fair.  I will point out that those moves involved QB selections at the tippy top, which have a way of sorting themselves out pre draft.

7 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He also can't win with a lot of his moves, especially the recent moves.

BUT... I'm not going to bash Howie for moving back from #6 to #12 when he did.   I wanted more draft picks in 2022... and that move accomplished that.  

However, if he drafts a QB at 12 and claims that they knew all along that this was their guy, then I will call BS.  They hoped he'd be there.   But, that is playing a dangerous game, which likely means that unlike in 2016 where they were convinced that Wentz was the guy they wanted and they were aggressive to make sure that they got their QB... moving back to 12 if you have a QB as your primary target is NOT a smart move.  Because there's a very good chance that he won't be there, especially if he's such a good talent that you make him the top priority in this draft.   I would be more upset with the QB selection at 12 than if they'd have sat at 6 and did the same thing, even with the extra pick in 2022.  It indicates that they were NOT sold on that QB 100% and were just taking the 'value' play.   That's not how you approach the QB position.  That's how you scuttle your franchise.. again.

I'm thinking Jones will be there. But I could be a bit crazy

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Good most of the fans hate him

What's the rookie contract difference between pick 6 and pick 12?

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

I'm excited about the coaching staff and a few players but overall I think we're going to be at the bottom again

I'd feel a lot more optimistic if Howie was fired

I'm getting my 2nd vaccine on Day 2 of the draft. So, if I end up feeling sick, I won't know if is side effects from the vaccine or Howie's drafting.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

2021 NFL Draft Tracker | Spotrac

Got my 2nd this morning. 915. 

Didnt feel anything with the first. Feel nothing right now

Fairly significant.  Think that had any impact on the trade down? 

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I'm getting my 2nd vaccine on Day 2 of the draft. So, if I end up feeling sick, I won't know if is side effects from the vaccine or Howie's drafting.

Hope you don't have a hard time with the side effects

10 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Probably a good bit of both. 

7 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

2021 NFL Draft Tracker | Spotrac

Got my 2nd this morning. 915. 

Didnt feel anything with the first. Feel nothing right now

Most people that have effects have it the next day and usually it's a low grade fever and fatigue. Most people don't have same day reactions unless they have a serious allergic reaction.

Guest justrelax
2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

The ones who couldn't line up properly or the one who paused mid game to fix his gloves

Not just mid game but mid play 

34 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

That’s fair.  I will point out that those moves involved QB selections at the tippy top, which have a way of sorting themselves out pre draft.

Shouldn’t that actually be a positive for Howie? He got a future 1 from a team to move up six spots to draft a non-QB. 

Guest justrelax
4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Definitely agree. A small pool and lousy information, what with opt-outs and shortened seasons.

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Reason is there was no combine this year which is the standard. Yes Pro Days are fine but they are meant to make their schools player to look great. There are not individual workouts, not in person interviews etc. In the end it comes down to game tape only this year. However with last years season a lot of players did not play so you have to look at the year before. Then even the players that did play, they did not play against the best players because certain schools and players did not play. 

In the end, its more risky in this years draft then the past and going forward so in sense makes next years picks a little more valuable when we will be back to normal and more ways to scout players. Yes the players might have just as much talent but the ways to scout and research are much harder this year. 

Good teams will find good players regardless , now if you want to say  , because the number of prospects in the draft this year is much less than normal , I can agree

but , this year aside , I have seen some say nexts years picks are more valuable , in past drafts .

55 minutes ago, greend said:

I'm thinking Jones will be there. But I could be a bit crazy

If they are that convinced that Jones is the guy they want at 12, then they should have been willing to draft him at 6.   No way do you roll the dice on missing out on your QB target (especially in Round 1) by trying to get cute.  Afterall, weren't they burned waiting on Wilson, and were left with taking Foles... and wasn't that why they went off the board to get Hurts where they did... for fear of missing out on him.   So, a year later, they are going to try to play the value game again and grab a QB at 12 rather than 6?    That's just bad process, even if it works out the way that they might be hoping, its unnecessary risk at the most critical position on the field.  And would signify once again that Howie is trying to outsmart everyone. 

That said, I fully expect that their move will be for a non-QB.  Going for a QB here would be Howie admitting that Hurts was a mistake.

50 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I had a pain in my arm after my second. Howie's drafting will give you a pain somewhere else

2 hours ago, RLC said:

It's because there's the potential for future 1st rounders picks to be top 5 picks. Trading a top 10 pick in year 1 for a 1st round pick in year 2 is bad business. Trading a pick from 20-30 in year 1 for a 1st round pick in year 2 is good process. As we got a 1st rounder by trading down, there's a lot of potential. 

But your guessing on the strength of next years draft , and who declares .

59 minutes ago, What The F said:

What's the rookie contract difference between pick 6 and pick 12?

Chump change with new cba , teams aren’t trading down to save a few million .

19 minutes ago, greend said:

I had a pain in my arm after my second. Howie's drafting will give you a pain somewhere else

Tylenol for the first, preparation H for the second?

Archived