EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

McShay and Kiper did a round 1-3 mock draft.  I'd be thrilled if this was the outcome. 

12. Philadelphia Eagles (via MIA through SF) — McShay’s pick: Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama.

Philly can exhale: The Eagles moved back to No. 12 and still got one of the top four pass-catchers. Waddle is the most dangerous player in the class with the ball in his hands.

Not a bad start. I’m partial to DeVonta Smith in part because I think he projects to be much more of a sure thing at the NFL level. But Smith went off the board at No. 11 and Waddle is reasonably the best player available at a big position of need. Waddle could give the Eagles what they thought they were getting in Jalen Reagor.

37. Philadelphia Eagles — Kiper’s pick: Nick Bolton, LB, Missouri

This is a great fit for the Eagles, who need a sideline-to-sideline middle linebacker in new coordinator Jonathan Gannon’s defense. Bolton is a tackling machine.

We all know about the Eagles not drafting a linebacker in the first round since 1979. In addition to that, Howie Roseman has never drafted one higher than when he took Mychal Kendricks at No. 46 in 2012. So, this would be a historic pick for Philly’s current front office. Not impossible to envision, though, with Jonathan Gannon coaching in environments that prioritized the linebacker position much more than the Eagles have for some time. Bolton could compete for a starting job as a rookie.

70. Philadelphia Eagles — McShay’s pick: Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse

Melifonwu needs some refining, but he has a lot of upside as a press corner. The Eagles are lacking depth at the position beyond Darius Slay and Avonte Maddox (who could be a free agent in 2022).

Ifeatu is the younger brother of Obi and, most importantly, a friend of The SB Nation NFL Show. I’m sure some won’t be thrilled to see the Eagles wait this long to address cornerback given the barren state of that position. But Philly is gambling on upside here. Melifonwu is only 21 and, not unlike his big bro, offers an intriguing blend of size and athleticism. Check the spider graph for this 6-2, 205-pound corner:

84. Philadelphia Eagles (via IND) — McShay’s pick: Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse

Cisco is a ball hawk on the back end, hauling in 13 interceptions over 24 career games. The Eagles were one of four teams in the single-digits in that category last season.

The final pick has the Eagles double-dipping in the Orange’s secondary. It’s hard not to like Cisco’s ball production. In addition to the picks, he also had 14 passes defensed, two forced fumbles, two sacks, and one defensive touchdown. Cisco has a knack for being aggressive, which others may coin as reckless. His 2020 season was cut short after he "collided with a teammate during pregame warmups.” Cisco’s NFL success seems especially dependent on a coaching staff that can really play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses.

Obviously, this is just a look at one of the many different ways how the Eagles’ draft could play out. I do like them prioritizing an offensive weapon and boosting the defense here.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Who ? Names ? I can guarantee you it wasn’t any shot callers at the Linc 

Adam Caplan has said confidently numerous times that sources on the team staff told him they had Hurts with a 3rd round grade. 

13 minutes ago, greend said:

Zach, he wanted to trade up but couldn't.

Oh... that Wilson.  I'll file that one under unsubstantiated rumor for now.  Or misinformation... or trying to drive the price up or whatever.  Taking a QB in Round 1 would eliminate any and all plausible deniability though.

4 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

McShay and Kiper did a round 1-3 mock draft.  I'd be thrilled if this was the outcome. 

Yup.  WR and back seven.  Sign me up!

2 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration, I mean outside of a few priority free agents for each team (say 200 total), most UDFAs are camp fodder.

So in a normal year, 400-550 "legitimate prospects." I think most marginal players stayed in school b/c they can get that extra season to get their degree with expenses paid and avoid real life.

So while this will be a thinner draft than normal, the real prospects came out for the most part b/c if you think you're gonna get drafted, you're coming out.

However, it does mean those 6th/7th rd picks have more value than most years, because the marginal prospects will thin out faster - at the same time, more talent will fall down the draft b/c there is so much uncertainty and many teams will go for sure things over upside. Where the competition will be fierce is trying to sign the 50-100, instead of the normal 150-300 quality UDFAs.

Dig the idea of WR/LB/CB/S being the first four picks in the draft.

Only tweaks I would make would be changing out Bolton for Cox and Melifonwu for Stokes. Probably means taking Stokes in the 2nd and Cox in the 3rd.

Waddle and Cisco would be stellar additions to the team.

What I would like in the draft would be guys I can cheer about or **** about. Likely I'll be happy on draft day

19 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Dig the idea of WR/LB/CB/S being the first four picks in the draft.

Only tweaks I would make would be changing out Bolton for Cox and Melifonwu for Stokes. Probably means taking Stokes in the 2nd and Cox in the 3rd.

Waddle and Cisco would be stellar additions to the team.

For some reason I'm hesitant on Jabril Cox but wouldn't be upset if they took him.  I just love the way Nick Bolton plays linebacker.  He's a thumper and a bit stiff but isn't garbage in coverage.  I love that he sees the ball and attacks it and appears to want to be violent when he makes tackles....we don't really have any players like that.  I want guys on defense that are going to make the other team think twice about going near him again.  I think Bolton brings that energy and attitude. 

Traded Ertz, 37, and 70 for 33 and 65.  Then traded 33, 150, and 240 for 27 and 210

image.thumb.png.12b352caea388aa4f08db2f801ff98b2.png 

On second thought, just watched Jabril Cox's NDSU highlights now I'm wondering why he isn't getting that much hype.  He was solid at LSU but a freaking stud at NDSU.  

He has a pro day on April 26.  If he truly is 6-3 230 with an 80" wing span and runs in the 4.5 range then he immediately jumps in to the 2nd round conversation.

18 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

On second thought, just watched Jabril Cox's NDSU highlights now I'm wondering why he isn't getting that much hype.  He was solid at LSU but a freaking stud at NDSU.  

He has a pro day on April 26.  If he truly is 6-3 230 with an 80" wing span and runs in the 4.5 range then he immediately jumps in to the 2nd round conversation.

Looks far too slim for a LB

Eagles are 1 of 10 teams netting with Charles Snowden. My Sleeper LB! 😁

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Third Round (+115)

BetOnline bookmakers have Hurts being selected in the third round as the favorite on this prop. Despite fantastic college statistics, plus his number of games played, Hurts enters the draft with lingering questions. Pocket poise is the most significant question mark as Hurts is viewed as a one-read quarterback. That is due to sometimes struggling to read defenses and becoming a runner if his first pass option isn't open. If Hurts falls to the third round, the Las Vegas Raiders could take him 80th overall.

I think a better exercise would be to find someone/anyone who did mocks with Hurts going in the 2nd round — I sure don’t remember one.

As dismayed as I was with the draft pick, I was just as surprised Hurts went in the 2nd round at all.

Howie has a path. Trade up to #8 and then he can trade #8 to the Dolphins who are looking for a small trade back from #6. 

3 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Shouldn’t that actually be a positive for Howie? He got a future 1 from a team to move up six spots to draft a non-QB. 

It might be.  That’s why I reserve judgement until draft day.  It’s Howie’s job to feel the pulse of the rest of the league.  If Miami trades out for more, he f’ed up.  If they don’t, then this trade makes sense.

55 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

For some reason I'm hesitant on Jabril Cox but wouldn't be upset if they took him.  I just love the way Nick Bolton plays linebacker.  He's a thumper and a bit stiff but isn't garbage in coverage.  I love that he sees the ball and attacks it and appears to want to be violent when he makes tackles....we don't really have any players like that.  I want guys on defense that are going to make the other team think twice about going near him again.  I think Bolton brings that energy and attitude. 

I'm with you in that I wouldn't be disappointed in either Bolton or Cox. Funny you brought up Cox's NDSU tape as it was his time there and the highlight reels that made me a believer.

Think Bolton is the more complete player right now, but Cox has a higher ceiling. I appreciate Bolton's energy and tackling ability. This team desperately needs it at the LB position. But I think Cox is much better in coverage and that he will hone his tackling skills at the next level.

Either way, fingers crossed we hear a LB name called in RD2 or RD3.

The fact that it's leaking that Miami/Carolina want trade-downs shows that other teams aren't biting.

Reminder: Detroit/Miami were heavily rumored to trade down last year but neither could. 

GMs always have conversations before the draft to gauge the cost of moving up/down. 

It makes the negotiations on draft night more efficient if the teams already have shared expectations on compensation when swapping picks.

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

"Hey, Andy, Jeff McLane with the Inquirer. Yeah, why do you even bother setting a draft board?”

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

What’s the point?

— "We’re looking for guys who are leaders, who live football, who are athletic, blah, blah”

— "We’re keeping all of our options open”

— "We’re open to trading back” "We’re open to trading up for the right player” "We’re comfortable that picking at #12 will give us the option to draft a quality player”

— "If there is a player available, whether it be a QB or otherwise, that we feel can make our team better — we will consider that option”

Archived