Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

46 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Douglas was here at the time so he was running that draft, since it was his job to do so. Douglas's board, and Stout was SO excited in the film review clip he probably pounded the table for the move too. 

So, now Douglas was 'running that draft'?   I thought the narrative was that Douglas set the board, and then Howie made the picks.  That's a big difference from 'running the draft'.   

But, let's point the finger at everyone but the guy who's job it is to make the final decision.  Guess who took the heat for the decision to drop not one, but two atomic bombs on Japan to end WWII?   Truman... who came in at the last moment, and wasn't even aware that such a weapon existed or was even in production until the moment after he was sworn in to the Presidency.    But, Harry was a leader, and his motto was pretty simple: 

HarryTruman.jpg&ehk=%2BC9NuVspJGHIwmruGP

Meanwhile...
1469882856_ScreenShot2021-04-08at7_05_54PM.png.2a9559e18e5412b66af256131269d034.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, austinfan said:

There's no reason to think Dillard was a bad pick, they didn't expect him to start until his 2nd season, Stoutland had so much confidence in him that Howie didn't bother to draft another LT, and I doubt they had any expectations for Mialata other than a backup last season.

Peters was still an above average LT in 2019 when he was healthy, he did start 13 games:

1. Philadelphia Eagles

When fully healthy, the Eagles' offensive line didn’t have a single weak link, and that is invaluable in a league where weak links are quickly exposed. All five starters — Jason Peters, Isaac Seumalo, Jason Kelce, Brandon Brooks and Lane Johnson — graded among the top-10 players at their respective positions. Seumalo was the only one who graded outside the top-two players at his position. The most impressive performance on the line belongs to Brooks, who had the highest overall grade of any guard in the NFL after tearing his Achilles last postseason. His season was cut short by injury again last week, but his performance as the top player on the league’s top offensive line has been one of the better stories this season.

Has be proven to be a good pick?  I think Mailata has a chance to be 10x the player Dillard is.

I HOPE Dillard pans out in to something.  Ideal world Dillard is your LT and Mailata is RT for the next decade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greendestiny27 said:

Instead of Jordan Howard who has decent mileage on him plus had that pretty serious stinger type injury and looked shot last year. Why not look at Brian Hill? Younger, less miles on his tires, should be pretty cheap, no serious injuries and didn't look shot last year... At least he's healthy as well 🤷‍♂️

Loyalty... they have a connection with Howard.   

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

And ultimately Howie agreed. He’s in charge. They didn’t make him do it. 

But you and I don’t have to have this conversation about every bad Howie pick. 

Of course they didn't... 

Howie's other motto.

OIP.47VFvC9Kk7v-IQGz1vLXGgHaFE?pid=ImgDe

Not sure why everyone is writing Dillard off so quickly. He wasn't that bad his rookie season other than the game at RT. He has a lot to prove this year but he should be given every opportunity to win the starting job at LT. There might be some maturity and toughness issues he needs to work through but he wouldn't be the first player in the history of the NFL to have struggles/injuries their first couple of years and become a good player.

Ideally Mailata is the backup swing tackle but if Dillard fails to step up you go with him and figure out what to do about LT next offseason. I saw Kempski say if the Eagles could get a 4 for Dillard he would trade him which to me is just plain stupid. They are way better off giving him a shot and seeing if he can put it all together rather than settle for pennies on the dollar for him.

As for how the draft relates to this. In the unlikely scenario that Sewell falls to 12 you take him because he's that good of a prospect. Beyond that, Slater and AVT project best to guard so I'd be a little surprised if they went OL in round 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

So, now Douglas was 'running that draft'?   I thought the narrative was that Douglas set the board, and then Howie made the picks.  That's a big difference from 'running the draft'.   

But, let's point the finger at everyone but the guy who's job it is to make the final decision.  Guess who took the heat for the decision to drop not one, but two atomic bombs on Japan to end WWII?   Truman... who came in at the last moment, and wasn't even aware that such a weapon existed or was even in production until the moment after he was sworn in to the Presidency.    But, Harry was a leader, and his motto was pretty simple: 

Meanwhile...
1469882856_ScreenShot2021-04-08at7_05_54PM.png.2a9559e18e5412b66af256131269d034.png

You do realize there is this thing called nuance in life and it's possible that the guy with final say and the guy he trusts the run the scouting department and set the draft board can both be to blame for the poor drafts. I know everyone loves to put all their focus into one person or thing and create scapegoats for failures but real life is very rarely that simple.

5 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Meanwhile...

Please expand on what you are saying about Truman. I have made something of a hobby about the decision to drop those bombs and I would like to express my views in a civil discussion, here or elsewhere.

P.S. Truman's motto was: The Buck Stops Here.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Not sure why everyone is writing Dillard off so quickly. He wasn't that bad his rookie season other than the game at RT. He has a lot to prove this year but he should be given every opportunity to win the starting job at LT. There might be some maturity and toughness issues he needs to work through but he wouldn't be the first player in the history of the NFL to have struggles/injuries their first couple of years and become a good player.

Ideally Mailata is the backup swing tackle but if Dillard fails to step up you go with him and figure out what to do about LT next offseason. I saw Kempski say if the Eagles could get a 4 for Dillard he would trade him which to me is just plain stupid. They are way better off giving him a shot and seeing if he can put it all together rather than settle for pennies on the dollar for him.

As for how the draft relates to this. In the unlikely scenario that Sewell falls to 12 you take him because he's that good of a prospect. Beyond that, Slater and AVT project best to guard so I'd be a little surprised if they went OL in round 1.

Ideally Mailata is a road grading LT for the next decade.  Athletically he is the guy you want at LT.

45 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

There no discussion to have about bad Howie picks.  They were bad Douglas picks. 

Of course not.    I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the GM's role is here... its not drafting, not targeting free agents, not structuring contracts... he must be in charge of snacks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

I don’t hate the idea of drafting a great athlete at a premium position. I get it. But it’s incredibly bad process to trade up for an incomplete eval in round 1. No matter how we try to spin it, getting in a last second interview with a guy because you learned he was falling is bad business because it shows you didn’t do the work ahead of time. Why was he falling? And how could a 30 minute conversation make you feel good about trading up for him when you had few picks anyway?

It was an institutional failure with the vast majority of blame falling on Roseman.

37 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Douglas wasn't here last year.   And Howie had final say when he was.  Howie sucks, end of story.

Not true.   Douglas is at fault for taking Reagor over Jefferson.   Oh, wait, that bad pick we have delegated to Doug... you know, the guy who wasn't allowed to pick his OC... but is somehow allowed to make draft picks.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Freshmilk said:

Ideally Mailata is a road grading LT for the next decade.  Athletically he is the guy you want at LT.

We'll see. He made great strides last season and he is an awesome story. He wasn't as good last year as a lot of people made him out to be. Dillard has a ton of talent. His athletic ability and footwork is top notch. He just needs to stay healthy and mature in a number of ways. I think it's a good ''problem'' to have with both of them in competition. Trading Dillard for pennies on the dollar would be insanely stupid.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Aside from the fact that I have absolute contempt for Kempski, the one thing I noticed that he never did was that, with one exception, Dillard was always in the right spot, His moves were good, His technique was good. What he wasn't was strong enough. He couldn't drop anchor.  Added weight and work in the weight room can take care of that. That he injured himself in the weight room suggests that he was trying to max out. Suggests effort.

You idiots who are burying Dillard are, well, idiots.

Idiots.

Kempski is a troll. All he likes to do is trash people for his stick figures. I had hopes for him a while ago but he has revulsed me at every turn.

Dillard gets a chance to prove himself this year.  Sadly, he's going into year 3 and he's had limited snaps.  

Trading up for Dillard was a good move then and a good move now. You rarely get a shot at a polished pass protection LT with great athleticism. And that's the primary role for a LT, Tra made pro bowls off his pass protection, certainly not his run blocking.

He would have started last year if not for his injury, Mailata would have been plugged in at RT,  Driscoll at RG after Pryor faltered and the Eagles might have made the playoffs. Imagine last year's team with a top third instead of a bottom ten OL.

Dillard wasn't an unknown, the top twenty guys in the draft get scrutinized to death. Stoutland was doing due diligence, never thought he'd have a shot at the kid, but liked what he heard, knew he was athletic from film, learned from his questions the kid was also smart. That isn't a "shot in the dark." They traded a 4th and 6th to move from 25 to 22.

11 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Please expand on what you are saying about Truman. I have made something of a hobby about the decision to drop those bombs and I would like to express my views in a civil discussion, here or elsewhere.

He was unaware of the A-bomb before taking the oath.  When the time came to make the decision, it was his decision.  He could give the go ahead, or he could deny the use.  He gave the go ahead and never shied away from the responsibility lying with him.  

Gotta love afan.  Howie could draft Aaron Hernandez knowing he killed someone and he would defend it.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, justrelax said:

P.S. Truman's motto was: The Buck Stops Here.

Yes, that's what the picture shows... the sign "The Buck stops here" on his desk. 

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Gotta love afan.  Howie could draft Aaron Hernandez knowing he killed someone and he would defend it.

It makes you wonder what it would take for Afan to criticize Roseman.

• Like 1

Just now, Desertbirds said:

It makes you wonder what it would take for Afan to criticize Roseman.

We will see.  Many opportunities coming.

Just now, downundermike said:

We will see.  Many opportunities coming.

Alas.

37 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Thank you. We have had this discussion before. I get so sick and damn tired of Howie getting all of the blame for draft picks when Douglas was running the scouting department and setting the board for a few years. Howie deserves blame, but so does Douglas. It's just much easier to find a single scapegoat.

Plenty of blame to go around. No one has said otherwise. Ultimately, who makes the picks?

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

Just to be clear, when people question/criticize Hurts you/others jump to defend him and claim that we haven't seen enough and that 4 games isnt enough to go on, but Dillard in his 4 starts already has his future set in stone?

LMAO.

Dillard was genuinely bad.  Tossed aside like a child anytime someone came at him with power.  Legitimate reports out of camp that he might not have the mentality to play the game at this level.  Last training camp the reports weren't any better on him before his injury. 

None of that applies to Hurts.  He had a legitimately promising rookie year.  The only truly concerning thing about Hurts rookie year were his fumbles.  Other than that he looked promising and made a number of really nice throws.  He's also just 22 whereas Dillard is already 25 at this point and there is a better younger option than him on the roster. 

1 hour ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Howard will not be a contributor. He will probably play less than 5 snaps a game. A rookie will be drafted as a compliment to Miles.

"You're cute"

"No, YOU'RE cute"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Meanwhile...

Yup. Howie is always the victim of his surroundings. He would have picked the right guy if it weren’t for the guys he hired getting in the way.