EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

28 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Now we know why Howie was testing the waters, seeing what it would take to move up to grab Wilson.

Trask would be a good choice in the 3rd rd, we have his QB coach, and he could be at worst a solid #2. But I'm not reaching for him.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

What do you mean which scrubs exactly?  How many draft-eligible CB did he play against last year?  He played one game vs UGA, one game vs LSU, and one game vs OSU.

The other 10 games are basically foregone conclusions before they start.

Come on man.  How many draft eligible CB are there across college football on any given Saturday?  

Again, I'm not a Smith guy.  He DOMINATED the SEC.  He destroyed Notre Dame (insert any ND jokes here).   

We can argue his size all day long or his refusal to workout and do any pro day drills.  To say he only beat scrubs is just weak.  He was a dominant WR.

If that's the case then Jamar Chase only beat scrubs.  Kyle Pitts only beat scrubs.  Every Saturday these guys go up against the best players in the country.  

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

At the end of the day, winning is all that matters. If they win, I think players will buy in or be fine. My concern is how he responds to a team that is struggling or in a slump. He needs to be able to spark the locker room and give them a kick in the ass to get them back on track. Doug had his faults but his strength was absolutely getting the team on track and staying committed. 

It's interesting because a lot of players went on record who worked with Sirianni saying he's a great guy and coach. But it could be his personality and approach works more for an OC but maybe not a HC.

He'll have two years to grow into the job. This will be a young team where development is a priority and the veterans will either be good mentors and enjoy that role or headed out the door.

2023 is when Sirianni will have to take the next step, coaching up a talented team, not building a team.

Doug was a good coach for a veteran team, I think he'd be a disaster in a rebuild.

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He dominated bowl games.  He dominated top ranked opponents. At a certain point you have to acknowledge that he is just a supremely talented player. 

For all the talk about overthinking the draft and how our GM acts like he's smarter than everyone I don't know why it's even a question. If you are still at 12 and he's the best player there then you take him. Every player 12 is going to have question marks, even moreso if you trade down again. I still think CB should be the pick but I don't think the top CBs will be there.

16 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, in all honesty, it came off as very amateurish.  The kind of stuff a high school team would eat up.  For grown men getting paid millions, I can see many of them saying F this guy.  

I hope I'm wrong and we have all these guys who love ball and buy in to what he's selling.

As of now we have a coked up high school coach.

He's excited about the draft and coaching young players. He's talking about the attributes you need to succeed in the NFL.

So he's got enthusiasm when it comes to teaching technique. Good.

We've had too many coaches who were more interested in game day than the little things that lead up to game day.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

He's excited about the draft and coaching young players. He's talking about the attributes you need to succeed in the NFL.

So he's got enthusiasm when it comes to teaching technique. Good.

We've had too many coaches who were more interested in game day than the little things that lead up to game day.

You mean the ones that won the Super Bowl?

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Now we know why Howie was testing the waters, seeing what it would take to move up to grab Wilson.

Trask would be a good choice in the 3rd rd, we have his QB coach, and he could be at worst a solid #2. But I'm not reaching for him.

Mills over Trask but neither may make it till the 3rd round which is sad. 

12 minutes ago, austinfan said:

He'll have two years to grow into the job. This will be a young team where development is a priority and the veterans will either be good mentors and enjoy that role or headed out the door.

2023 is when Sirianni will have to take the next step, coaching up a talented team, not building a team.

Doug was a good coach for a veteran team, I think he'd be a disaster in a rebuild.

Hopefully Gannon is still here by then, he was the up and comer in HC talks. 

4 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

You mean the ones that won the Super Bowl?

With a veteran team.

Here's the difference, Doug would have said the lack of OTAs will make it harder for him to install his schemes, Sirianni's emphasis:

"I would love the players to be on the field with us,” Nick Sirianni said Wednesday. "Of course. The more I can be around the players, Zoom, in person, the better. And especially when you get them on the field and you're able to teach techniques."

We're rebuilding, we have a lot of young players from last season, draft picks, UDFAs and waiver wire pickups, and 11 picks this year - they need extensive teaching.

It's not a shock that Lowie, after stating they were rebuilding, go out and get a HC who puts together a staff whose strength is teaching.

Just now, austinfan said:

With a veteran team.

Here's the difference, Doug would have said the lack of OTAs will make it harder for him to install his schemes, Sirianni's emphasis:

"I would love the players to be on the field with us,” Nick Sirianni said Wednesday. "Of course. The more I can be around the players, Zoom, in person, the better. And especially when you get them on the field and you're able to teach techniques."

We're rebuilding, we have a lot of young players from last season, draft picks, UDFAs and waiver wire pickups, and 11 picks this year - they need extensive teaching.

It's not a shock that Lowie, after stating they were rebuilding, go out and get a HC who puts together a staff whose strength is teaching.

Do you keep a sac of ad hoc qualifiers by your computer?

No, here's the difference: Pederson won a Super Bowl and Sirianni hasn't done squat.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

With a veteran team.

What does that say about our veteran players though?

They know should know how important it is for this young team to be on the field with an entirely new coaching staff yet they opt out of voluntary workouts because of Covid.   Fact is, they are probably "safer" on the field and in the building with their teammates under a controlled environment than they are in their own hometowns.  It's such a weak excuse and a bad move for a team trying to learn under a new coach.

59 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

So I'm not a Devonta Smith guy at all, I've made that pretty clear.  However, I've been watching a lot of his tape lately to try and understand why he's so good and what he does well that will translate to the NFL.  This is a great breakdown by Nate Burleson.  He isn't cat quick like Jaylen Waddle but he somehow, and you just can't describe how, finds cracks in the defense.  The play on here where he sees the DL/LB coming for his head and cuts in to a crease is pretty remarkable.

2057866755_ScreenShot2021-04-22at12_43_17PM.thumb.png.0c14cf20583713a9064568643a22314f.png

Just a screen grab from that video at 3:11.  Look at this catch, what a freakishly good catch.  Nobody has a chance to grab this but him.  

I'm so hot & cold on Devonta Smith.  He looks so great on the field and in tape, but I get worried about his size.  Still, I think our offense would like a hell of a lot better with him in Eagle green next year.

22 minutes ago, austinfan said:

How are we getting this talented team you speak of ??

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

2057866755_ScreenShot2021-04-22at12_43_17PM.thumb.png.0c14cf20583713a9064568643a22314f.png

Just a screen grab from that video at 3:11.  Look at this catch, what a freakishly good catch.  Nobody has a chance to grab this but him.  

I'm so hot & cold on Devonta Smith.  He looks so great on the field and in tape, but I get worried about his size.  Still, I think our offense would like a hell of a lot better with him in Eagle green next year.

He's also going against a potential top 5 pick Derek Stingley there.

Just now, bpac55 said:

They know should know how important it is for this young team to be on the field with an entirely new coaching staff yet they opt out of voluntary workouts because of Covid.   Fact is, they are probably "safer" on the field and in the building with their teammates under a controlled environment than they are in their own hometowns.  It's such a weak excuse and a bad move for a team trying to learn under a new coach.

This has nothing to do with the team and much more to do with voluntary workouts and the NFLPA being against them.  I mean it's a job and the team isn't paying players for the most part for voluntary workouts.  

37 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Sirianni watched Ted Lasso and believes that will translate to real life. 

Jim Rome is destroying him on his radio show right now.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

He's also going against a potential top 5 pick Derek Stingley there.

Nice catch, yeah, you're right.  That's Stingley right there on the ground, he was beaten badly.

I hope the draft isn’t so sappy this here... "hey congrats to So and So for going #7 overall now let’s tell you about the worst day of his life...” 

42 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Mosher on his pod today said he talked to some former players whose general reaction to Sirianni's PC yesterday was "what the hell is this guy doing?"

The same former (ie, older) players that think that 20 year olds shouldn't be on social media. Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

If you're cynical, you'd think veterans would be wiling to handicap young players fighting for their jobs by canceling OTAs, since 21 teams have already done so.

I don't think it'll make a difference on the Eagles, since Sirianni and Howie are going to be looking at upside more than production this year, and a kid who has upside will beat out marginal veterans when it comes to the 53 roster spots. For teams fighting for the playoffs, it's going to get some talented kids cut who haven't had the practice and exhibition game time to be ready to play as teams try to stash them on the PS. Which means the August waiver wire claims (and being 6th in line) will have real value this year.

It may cost the Eagles a win, but do we really care if they go 5-12 or 4-13 in 2021?

11 minutes ago, EaglePhan1986 said:

I hope the draft isn’t so sappy this here... "hey congrats to So and So for going #7 overall now let’s tell you about the worst day of his life...” 

There is almost certainly going to be a ton of political messaging this year, no doubt. I'll likely be watching Bleacher Report, TDN or whatever else I can find instead of ESPN/ABC.

Tried something different.  Forced the 1st trade but the points are close to working out

image.thumb.png.18352ba274e9489e300e3772cc0481b3.png

6 minutes ago, metal said:

There is almost certainly going to be a ton of political messaging this year, no doubt. I'll likely be watching Bleacher Report, TDN or whatever else I can find.

Sadly, that's sports in general moving forward.  It's turned me off completely.  I mean do we really need our professional sports teams with official statements about every single thing that happens in the country?  I can honestly say I haven't watched a single minute of Sixers basketball, an inning of Phillies baseball or even an entire Flyers game this year.  

Even when watching highlights of the Eagles 2020 season you're reminded of how much this stuff is plastered all over the field.  Politics have found their way in to sports and unfortunately it's not going away.  Did we really need VOTE painted on the fields and the countless other messages on the sidelines, endzones, hats, helmets?  

I'm going to sound like an old timer here but I want to turn on a game and watch football and just lose track of all the other crap happening in our world for 3 hours.  Not anymore.

1 hour ago, hputenis said:

Anyone know what happened to Demetric Felton recently?  He has plummeted in recent mocks.  I liked him as a possible 4th round, poor man's Curtis Samuel type, but if he's there in the 6th I feel like that's great value.  

I want him as a RB.

And his plummet is probably because mocks are protecting him as a WR conversion project.  I'm not sure why people are doing that.  He's a nice RB.

Archived