Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Just now, ManuManu said:

Plenty of blame to go around. No one has said otherwise. Ultimately, who makes the picks?

Are you new to this place. How about Eagles twitter. There are plenty of people who put 100 percent of the blame squarely on Howie for the poor drafts. He deserves plenty of blame but not all of it. That's all I'm saying.

39 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Aside from the fact that I have absolute contempt for Kempski, the one thing I noticed that he never did was that, with one exception, Dillard was always in the right spot, His moves were good, His technique was good. What he wasn't was strong enough. He couldn't drop anchor.  Added weight and work in the weight room can take care of that. That he injured himself in the weight room suggests that he was trying to max out. Suggests effort.

You idiots who are burying Dillard are, well, idiots.

Idiots.

Kempski is a troll. All he likes to do is trash people for his stick figures. I had hopes for him a while ago but he has revulsed me at every turn.

He didn't injure himself in the weight room.  He injured himself during training camp practice. 

1 minute ago, T-1000 said:

Are you new to this place. How about Eagles twitter. There are plenty of people who put 100 percent of the blame squarely on Howie for the poor drafts. He deserves plenty of blame but not all of it. That's all I'm saying.

Joe is gone. Doug is gone. Schwartz is gone. 

Howie is here. That’s why people are piling on Howie.

39 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Thank you. We have had this discussion before. I get so sick and damn tired of Howie getting all of the blame for draft picks when Douglas was running the scouting department and setting the board for a few years. Howie deserves blame, but so does Douglas. It's just much easier to find a single scapegoat.

Is Douglas still here running things?  Or is Howie/Lurie the only one(s) left who built the flaming pile of garbage that was the 2020 season and salary cap situation, lack of talent, etc.?

The real issue isn't that Howie is alone to blame... but he is the only one left in his position after causing the garbage we saw over the last few years.  So, he's the only target left to level criticism at, and the irony is.. he's the one in the highest position, and therefore should be held most accountable, but instead has been held unaccountable.

19 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Gotta love afan.  Howie could draft Aaron Hernandez knowing he killed someone and he would defend it.

Of course, don't coaches want players who are "killers?" (black humor).

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Joe is gone. Doug is gone. Schwartz is gone. 

Howie is here. That’s why people are piling on Howie.

It shouldn't be that complicated to understand.  I was very clear before the season ended... it needed to be a clean slate start over.  It wasn't, Howie stands tall... the rest of the 'decision makers' are gone... and only Howie remains.  And he's the guy that is supposed to be the guy that was in charge.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, justrelax said:

Please expand on what you are saying about Truman. I have made something of a hobby about the decision to drop those bombs and I would like to express my views in a civil discussion, here or elsewhere.

Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo - was the destruction caused by the atom bombs so much more abhorrent that we can’t appreciate what it accomplished in terms of ending that war and providing a sobering example of what total war had become so that it has been avoided by the great powers ever since. I’m not sure if Truman thought in those terms, but I figure the planned invasion of Japan and Joe Stalin might have had something to do with it.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He was unaware of the A-bomb before taking the oath.  When the time came to make the decision, it was his decision.  He could give the go ahead, or he could deny the use.  He gave the go ahead and never shied away from the responsibility lying with him.  

I dont see anyone reasonably saying Howie is a good leader

7 hours ago, TorontoEagle said:

Do we know what his specific injury was this last year? Was it a high ankle sprain? Collapsed ankle doesn't seem like a proper diagnosis? Do you have any insight? 

I have a little bit of a spidey sense when something isn't right from medical experience, but my actual medical knowledge is pathetically limited to one area.  I know more about orthopedic injuries from being an armchair GM and asking orthopedic surgeons across the hall than I do from any real knowledge of my own.  @HazletonEagle can tell you more than I can.

But from general knowledge of other organs, when someone has a known problem and doesn't get surgery right away...then gets it, then doesn't do well, then gets another surgery...it's because it's a complex problem for which surgery is not a reliable fix.  Not because they put it off and the team doctors suck.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo - was the destruction caused by the atom bombs so much more abhorrent that we can’t appreciate what it accomplished in terms of ending that war and providing a sobering example of what total war had become so that it has been avoided by the great powers ever since. I’m not sure if Truman thought in those terms, but I figure the planned invasion of Japan and Joe Stalin might have had something to do with it.

A million times, this.

A full scale invasion would have cost millions of lives. And that's what it would have taken without the bomb.

We were in the bloodiest conflict in human history and had the opportunity to end it decisively with an unconditional surrender, save untold American AND Japanese lives, and send a direct message to Stalin.

It was the best possible decision from what were obviously many tragic options.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Trading up for Dillard was a good move then and a good move now. You rarely get a shot at a polished pass protection LT with great athleticism. And that's the primary role for a LT, Tra made pro bowls off his pass protection, certainly not his run blocking.

He would have started last year if not for his injury, Mailata would have been plugged in at RT,  Driscoll at RG after Pryor faltered and the Eagles might have made the playoffs. Imagine last year's team with a top third instead of a bottom ten OL.

Dillard wasn't an unknown, the top twenty guys in the draft get scrutinized to death. Stoutland was doing due diligence, never thought he'd have a shot at the kid, but liked what he heard, knew he was athletic from film, learned from his questions the kid was also smart. That isn't a "shot in the dark." They traded a 4th and 6th to move from 25 to 22.

Eh, a bust is a bust.

Now, they could cut Dillard tomorrow and I wouldn't compare him to Danny Watkins (who actually started for the better part of a year and did more for the team than Dillard might).

Dillard had LT specs, athleticism, and profiled as a top notch pass protector.  I was disappointed the instant they made the pick...if they knew what they had in Mailata, that would have meant the first round pick could have been used on Montez Sweat, who was the BPA on the board at the time.  He'd look damn good in this defense and not in DC.

But no one can call them crazy for drafting an OL with Dillard's potential where they did.  Trading up for him increases the sting and the fail, but the value was there.

35 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

4 minutes ago, TEW said:

A million times, this.

A full scale invasion would have cost millions of lives. And that's what it would have taken without the bomb.

We were in the bloodiest conflict in human history and had the opportunity to end it decisively with an unconditional surrender, save untold American AND Japanese lives, and send a direct message to Stalin.

It was the best possible decision from what were obviously many tragic options.

My WWII history is hazy at best.  Sign me up for the opposite of whatever side of the argument @justrelax takes.

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Has be proven to be a good pick?  I think Mailata has a chance to be 10x the player Dillard is.

I HOPE Dillard pans out in to something.  Ideal world Dillard is your LT and Mailata is RT for the next decade.

To be fair, Mailata has a chance to be the best lineman in the NFL. He's that physically gifted. He's an absolute unicorn from a raw physical talent perspective.

Dillard needs to get stronger, but his footwork and potential are really good. I could see him developing into a Tra Thomas level player.

• Like 2

Just now, TEW said:

To be fair, Mailata has a chance to be the best lineman in the NFL. He's that physically gifted. He's an absolute unicorn from a raw physical talent perspective.

Dillard needs to get stronger, but his footwork and potential are really good. I could see him developing into a Tra Thomas level player.

If Dillard could stay healthy and pass block at 95% of Tra Thomas, he'd be an elite LT in this passing league for the next several years.  Tra is one of the most underrated players in Eagles franchise history.  

I think the future of the franchise hinges upon Dillard/Mailata.  If they can be great bookend tackles, restocking the rest of the roster is not THAT daunting of a task.  If one or both can't get it done, the needs tip into feeling overwhelming.

56 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dillard was genuinely bad.  Tossed aside like a child anytime someone came at him with power.  Legitimate reports out of camp that he might not have the mentality to play the game at this level.  Last training camp the reports weren't any better on him before his injury. 

None of that applies to Hurts.  He had a legitimately promising rookie year.  The only truly concerning thing about Hurts rookie year were his fumbles.  Other than that he looked promising and made a number of really nice throws.  He's also just 22 whereas Dillard is already 25 at this point and there is a better younger option than him on the roster. 

52% completion is genuinely bad

• Haha 2

Eagles could do worse than Dillard - Seumalo - ??? - Driscoll - Mailata in two or three years.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

If Dillard could stay healthy and pass block at 95% of Tra Thomas, he'd be an elite LT in this passing league for the next several years.  Tra is one of the most underrated players in Eagles franchise history.  

I think the future of the franchise hinges upon Dillard/Mailata.  If they can be great bookend tackles, restocking the rest of the roster is not THAT daunting of a task.  If one or both can't get it done, the needs tip into feeling overwhelming.

If one of them is a franchise LT and the other is merely a solid long term starter, I'd take that as a huge win from a first and 7th round pick investment.

Really. it's all going to hinge on getting a quality QB. Do that, we'll be fine. Fail at that and nothing else matters.

58 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dillard was genuinely bad.  Tossed aside like a child anytime someone came at him with power.  Legitimate reports out of camp that he might not have the mentality to play the game at this level.  Last training camp the reports weren't any better on him before his injury. 

None of that applies to Hurts.  He had a legitimately promising rookie year.  The only truly concerning thing about Hurts rookie year were his fumbles.  Other than that he looked promising and made a number of really nice throws.  He's also just 22 whereas Dillard is already 25 at this point and there is a better younger option than him on the roster. 

Dillard may or may not have a bad psyche, but he has prototypical talent for the position.  Hurts may or may not have great attitude and leadership, but has well below par talent for the position...

I'm not sure how low the bar has to be for "looked promising" to slap that label on Hurts, but things have obviously deteriorated pretty badly in this offense.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Eagles could do worse than Dillard - Seumalo - ??? - Driscoll - Mailata in two or three years.

I wouldn't hate that.

I like Driscoll's talent, but I don't trust him...yet.  He got hurt EVERY time he stepped on the field for extended snaps.  Some bodies just weren't built for NFL abuse.  I don't think Driscoll is cut out for RG at all.  LG...maybe even C...but he isn't strong enough as a RG.

Seumalo is going to be the veteran of this OL soon.  He may not have Kelce's mobility, but I'd like to see him as a center.  That's the intellectual core of the OL, and he may be the best bet there.  

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Is he that much worse than Robert Kraft? The difference here is that some of the masseuses weren't willing to provide 'extras'. I'll bet other masseuses employed by Watson were more accommodating. I haven't been following the saga, is he accused of more than expecting more than the masseuses were willing to provide? Did he threaten or worse?

Yes and yes.  

YARN | Thank you for creeping up my night | Ted (2012) | Video gifs by  quotes | 1de89a14 | 紗

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I wouldn't hate that.

I like Driscoll's talent, but I don't trust him...yet.  He got hurt EVERY time he stepped on the field for extended snaps.  Some bodies just weren't built for NFL abuse.  I don't think Driscoll is cut out for RG at all.  LG...maybe even C...but he isn't strong enough as a RG.

Seumalo is going to be the veteran of this OL soon.  He may not have Kelce's mobility, but I'd like to see him as a center.  That's the intellectual core of the OL, and he may be the best bet there.  

That's where I want him. As a guard he's undersized but athletic. At center he's average sized and athletic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TEW said:

That's where I want him. As a guard he's undersized but athletic. At center he's average sized and athletic.

If Slater is somehow there at 12 you happily take him. Could be an all world guard and a really good tackle

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Douglas was here at the time so he was running that draft, since it was his job to do so. Douglas's board, and Stout was SO excited in the film review clip he probably pounded the table for the move too. 

If Douglas reported to Howie, wasn't it Howie's board?  

Popcorn Gifs - I need more for my collection - Album on Imgur

22 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

My WWII history is hazy at best.  Sign me up for the opposite of whatever side of the argument @justrelax takes.

Now that is an ad hominem as much as any I've ever seen!   :lol: 

• Haha 1