Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I wouldn't hate that.

I like Driscoll's talent, but I don't trust him...yet.  He got hurt EVERY time he stepped on the field for extended snaps.  Some bodies just weren't built for NFL abuse.  I don't think Driscoll is cut out for RG at all.  LG...maybe even C...but he isn't strong enough as a RG.

Seumalo is going to be the veteran of this OL soon.  He may not have Kelce's mobility, but I'd like to see him as a center.  That's the intellectual core of the OL, and he may be the best bet there.  

Yup.

9 minutes ago, TEW said:

That's where I want him. As a guard he's undersized but athletic. At center he's average sized and athletic.

Double yup.   Said it draft night, haven't moved off that.  At LG, he can work, but C is his best spot, and I think he has the brains to be able to handle all the OL calls.

• Like 1

Jack Driscoll as a "super-sub" over the next 3 years is a good outcome for the 2nd to last pick in RD4. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RLC said:

Jack Driscoll as a "super-sub" over the next 3 years is a good outcome for the 2nd to last pick in RD4. 

Yup. I had my issues with Big V as a starter, but if Driscoll can be as good as Big V as a sub, I’d gladly take that. 

1 hour ago, justrelax said:

Aside from the fact that I have absolute contempt for Kempski, the one thing I noticed that he never did was that, with one exception, Dillard was always in the right spot, His moves were good, His technique was good. What he wasn't was strong enough. He couldn't drop anchor.  Added weight and work in the weight room can take care of that. That he injured himself in the weight room suggests that he was trying to max out. Suggests effort.

You idiots who are burying Dillard are, well, idiots.

Idiots.

Kempski is a troll. All he likes to do is trash people for his stick figures. I had hopes for him a while ago but he has revulsed me at every turn.

Finally.  Someone with a brain.  The fact that he played horrendously at RT for 1 game his rookie year has people giving up on him.  He played pretty well at LT when he was in half the time for Jason Peters his rookie season.  His footwork in pass protection is and was borderline elite, and that's what we want from that position.  I understand the reports of his mental toughness, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried about it, but let's continue to give Stoutland a chance to coach this guy up.  

But to write this guy off without even giving him a chance is exactly what idiots do.  I'd be fine by the way if Mailata starts over him this season.  I love the ceiling of Mailata, but he's a total anomaly.  My dream scenario would be Lane healthy for the next 2 seasons at RT, one of Mailata/Dillard at LT, followed by Dillard at LT and Mailata at RT once Lane is gone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

Not sure why everyone is writing Dillard off so quickly. He wasn't that bad his rookie season other than the game at RT. He has a lot to prove this year but he should be given every opportunity to win the starting job at LT. There might be some maturity and toughness issues he needs to work through but he wouldn't be the first player in the history of the NFL to have struggles/injuries their first couple of years and become a good player.

Ideally Mailata is the backup swing tackle but if Dillard fails to step up you go with him and figure out what to do about LT next offseason. I saw Kempski say if the Eagles could get a 4 for Dillard he would trade him which to me is just plain stupid. They are way better off giving him a shot and seeing if he can put it all together rather than settle for pennies on the dollar for him.

As for how the draft relates to this. In the unlikely scenario that Sewell falls to 12 you take him because he's that good of a prospect. Beyond that, Slater and AVT project best to guard so I'd be a little surprised if they went OL in round 1.

Did someone hack your account?  This is actually an intelligent post.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RLC said:

Also true.  A guy who can be a top backup at any position on the OL is always valuable.   But, he can also be a very good center, IMHO.  And as a 4th round pick, would be two rounds higher than the last OC the Eagles have been rolling with. Not many centers are high draft picks.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

52% completion is genuinely bad

Furthest average depth of target for his passes in the league and he knew when to throw the ball away.  Plus there were quite a bit of drops.  He displayed the ability to make a wide range of throws all across and down the field.  Not like he was just out there throwing a ton of interceptions or constantly missing wide open WRs with his throws and only completely dump off passes into the flat. 

6 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I have a little bit of a spidey sense when something isn't right from medical experience, but my actual medical knowledge is pathetically limited to one area.  I know more about orthopedic injuries from being an armchair GM and asking orthopedic surgeons across the hall than I do from any real knowledge of my own.  @HazletonEagle can tell you more than I can.

But from general knowledge of other organs, when someone has a known problem and doesn't get surgery right away...then gets it, then doesn't do well, then gets another surgery...it's because it's a complex problem for which surgery is not a reliable fix.  Not because they put it off and the team doctors suck.

My theory is that he had an ankle injury resulting in an OCD lesion on the talar dome. Tried to play. Wasnt working for him in camp. Then he got a surgery ( I believe we heard about a clean out of his ankle at some point which was probably removing the loose body/OCD lesion) then he missed more time. Came back but was still hurting and swelling and having significant pain. I believe at this point he likely had AVN of his talus which caused the collapse he referred to when he said his ankle collapsed.

It seems to me it would be a mix of him being a machine and being willing and trying to play through anything- too soon. And the medical staff not reigning him in enough when they are the ones with the medical knowledge to know better when he really shouldnt have been playing. I dont know exactly how it works in the NFL, but in the real world when someone plays through an OCD and ends up with AVN and a bone that collapses on itself, thats a malpractice suit waiting to happen. 

In high school, trainer and team doctor have final say and if I allowed an athlete to play because they wanted to, even if I explained the potential repercussions I can still be sued. Because I didnt act as another reasonable, competent, trained professional would/should, and let the decision in an untrained person's hands when I knew what could happen.

I realize things may work differently in the NFL... And I certainly realize that sports medicine often comes with the increased risk of trying to treat injuries within time constraints of the athletic season whenever possible. But when returning someone with some risk, its still supposed to be reasonably safe. And with all the resources available to them to monitor the injury, I dont think there can possibly be any excuse to see it advance to the point of his ankle collapsing when we saw him every week play, and then limp off the field, or get carted off because he couldnt even walk... but then try playing again the next week. 

It really seems our eagles team doctors in recent years are pushing the limits of the do no harm part of their oath. Its a really bad look when you hear how far Lane's injury had progressed after you saw how he was handled each week. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Dillard may or may not have a bad psyche, but he has prototypical talent for the position.  Hurts may or may not have great attitude and leadership, but has well below par talent for the position...

I'm not sure how low the bar has to be for "looked promising" to slap that label on Hurts, but things have obviously deteriorated pretty badly in this offense.

Dillard isn't prototypical for the position.  You want to see prototypical for the position you look at Mailata. It's beyond a joke tos ay that Hurts lacks talent for the position.  He is very athletically talented for a position that has fully evolved to one where athletic QBs are the norm and what teams look for when drafting a QB. The only thing he lacks is a rocket of an arm that can flick a pass 60+ yards down the field in the air.  But he has shown himself last season more than capable to throw the ball down the field and do so accurately. 

You compare Hurts rookie season to other past Eagles rookie QBs and it compares very favorably. It's not his fault that since people already disliked him that you place unfairly place higher expectations on him than them. 

6 hours ago, devpool said:

Or based on watching mailata manhandled all pro DEs this past season. What are the odds that dillard is as good as mailata was this past season? Dillard was fine his rookie hear but at no point was he throwing grown men around like mailata can. 

That said, they can have a competition all they want. Mailata will be starting week 1. They should work on trying to train dillard at RT for when Lane inevitably goes down again. 

Look at Mailata’s sacks and hurries. Dillard looked good at LT. Mailata looked good compared to banged up JP, Pryor and Toth but I don’t think he looked as polished as Dillard did as a rookie. I do think he is an excellent swing T. I believe Dillard is under appreciated and Mailata is over appreciated at this point at LT.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hputenis said:

If Douglas reported to Howie, wasn't it Howie's board?  

Popcorn Gifs - I need more for my collection - Album on Imgur

no.... It is known that the team adopted Douglas' ranking system. Howie hired Douglas to run the college scouting department and Douglas and his scouts set the board.  Picks were turned in by Howie. Picks that were made by Douglas' scouting staff, and coaches based on his board. His board sucked, so the draft was destined for failure. Douglas sucks.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dillard isn't prototypical for the position.  You want to see prototypical for the position you look at Mailata. It's beyond a joke tos ay that Hurts lacks talent for the position.  He is very athletically talented for a position that has fully evolved to one where athletic QBs are the norm and what teams look for when drafting a QB. The only thing he lacks is a rocket of an arm that can flick a pass 60+ yards down the field in the air.  But he has shown himself last season more than capable to throw the ball down the field and do so accurately. 

You compare Hurts rookie season to other past Eagles rookie QBs and it compares very favorably. It's not his fault that since people already disliked him that you place unfairly place higher expectations on him than them. 

He’s very athletically talented for a position whose historical greats aren’t even good athletes.  How many 6’1” starting qbs with underwhelming arms in the nfl?  Consider that next time you say he’s so talented.

• Like 1

Saw someone compare Mac Jones to Marc Bulger, and it’s such a perfect comparison. He was a good quarterback for a short time, but I can’t imagine anyone would use three first-round picks to acquire him, even if you were to get his peak for an extended period of time. 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

no.... It is known that the team adopted Douglas' ranking system. Howie hired Douglas to run the college scouting department and Douglas and his scouts set the board.  Picks were turned in by Howie. Picks that were made by Douglas' scouting staff, and coaches based on his board. His board sucked, so the draft was destined for failure. Douglas sucks.

Got it.  But apparently Lurie wanted to draft JJAW because of some ridiculous meddling.  I read about it in an article just like you read about your statement in an article.  Was that Joe Douglas's fault?  

Just now, hputenis said:

Got it.  But apparently Lurie wanted to draft JJAW because of some ridiculous meddling.  I read about it in an article just like you read about your statement in an article.  Was that Joe Douglas's fault?  

It sounds like it would be Lurie's fault.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

He’s very athletically talented for a position whose historical greats aren’t even good athletes.  How many 6’1” starting qbs with underwhelming arms are starting in the nfl?  Consider that next time you say he’s so talented.

Look around the league.  Besides Brady, all of the good QB's in the league are good athletes.  

How many QBs 6'1 and under without rocket arms are in the NFL? Wilson, Murray, Mayfield, Tua and Brees although he just retired.  You also have Dak and Watson even though they are an inch taller. 

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

It sounds like it would be Lurie's fault.

Best Larry David Stare GIFs | Gfycat

6 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Saw someone compare Mac Jones to Marc Bulger, and it’s such a perfect comparison. He was a good quarterback for a short time, but I can’t imagine anyone would use three first-round picks to acquire him, even if you were to get his peak for an extended period of time. 

That's interesting.  WVU quarterbacks are so easy to fall in love with based off of their college performances but rarely if ever develop in to good NFL quarterbacks.  

All things being equal, the best QBs have ok but not great athleticism, but are very smart and accurate. Those players are productive AND durable. Athletic QBs are far less consistent year to year because they take hits inside/outside the pocket. So you'll get MVP caliber seasons from Lamar, Newton, etc. then decline.

The problem is that for QBs to get to the point where they "get it" and can win with smarts, they need 7+ years experience. To get that many games, they need their legs to survive.

Mac Jones is such a bad idea in the top 5. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RLC said:

All things being equal, the best QBs have ok but not great athleticism, but are very smart and accurate. Those players are productive AND durable. Athletic QBs are far less consistent year to year because they take hits inside/outside the pocket. So you'll get MVP caliber seasons from Lamar, Newton, etc. then decline.

The problem is that for QBs to get to the point where they "get it" and can win with smarts, they need 7+ years experience. To get that many games, they need their legs to survive.

Mac Jones is such a bad idea in the top 5. 

You don't consider Mahomes, Rodgers, Allen, Wilson or Watson athletic QBs? 

Outside of Brady there really aren't any unatheltic QBs out there in the NFL that are in the top half of the league.  

I find it interesting that, in January, Devonta Smith was considered a top 3 pick, neck and neck with Chase, if not ahead...and now the consensus has Waddle ahead of him with Smith going to us or later.

Weighing in at 170 and not working out at 23 will do that to a prospect.  

• Like 1

Smith won't get past the Dolphins.

If Dillard is so athletic, and now strong, then cross training him at guard for now until the end of Lane Johnson wouldn't be too bad. Or perhaps do the opposite and have Mailata be the swing? Wait for someone's LT to go down in the season and take them for all their worth in a trade?