Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

55 minutes ago, RLC said:

Jack Driscoll as a "super-sub" over the next 3 years is a good outcome for the 2nd to last pick in RD4. 

Agreed, but I think he could be a good long term starter at center.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, justrelax said:

Please expand on what you are saying about Truman. I have made something of a hobby about the decision to drop those bombs and I would like to express my views in a civil discussion, here or elsewhere.

Well they did try not to drop the bombs.  They did invite Japan to witness the test bomb.   I always have wondered if they dropped the second too fast.   But as a factor to the Japanese surrender, it has to be viewed from the context of Curtis Lemay’s firebombing of Tokyo.  May be the closest to a war crime from the US of anything we ever did but it did demoralize the people and hurt the support for the war hawks.  It also led to the attempt on the emperor’s life.  My dad, who had joined up and was in the occupation forces in Japan, always thought Harry saved his life.  

• Like 2

Just now, schuy7 said:

Smith won't get past the Dolphins.

Maybe, but most mocks seem to have Waddle to the Dolphins with Smith falling.

The Dolphins almost certainly figure to draft one of them.  And if they had them rated comparably, I bet they stay at 12 and are happy to take whomever falls.  So I tend to believe they really want one of them.

3 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Except no ones going to or submitting anything to police

I haven't heard that but if that's the case it's not like watson doesn't have the financial means to make it all go away, in which case the NFL will just pretend it never happened, which is what happened with raplisburger

1 minute ago, eagle45 said:

I find it interesting that, in January, Devonta Smith was considered a top 3 pick, neck and neck with Chase, if not ahead...and now the consensus has Waddle ahead of him with Smith going to us or later.

Weighing in at 170 and not working out at 23 will do that to a prospect.  

Waddle isn't all that much bigger and more importantly Mock Drafts don't have much relevancy on how the draft will play out and that becomes clear every draft after the first few picks. 

3 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

This only helps our chances in getting Pitts. It's not the greatest of odds but not the long shot everyone is making it out to be.

If Falcons take Sewell, Bengals take Chase, Dolphins take Smith, Lions take Waddle, Carolina takes slater, Broncos though Giants take Defense...

29 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Look at Mailata’s sacks and hurries. Dillard looked good at LT. Mailata looked good compared to banged up JP, Pryor and Toth but I don’t think he looked as polished as Dillard did as a rookie. I do think he is an excellent swing T. I believe Dillard is under appreciated and Mailata is over appreciated at this point at LT.  

This is probably true.

Mailata looks absolutely fantastic at times, but consistency is (understandably) lacking. But people see him flash, drool over the potential, and want to ride the good and give a pass on the bad.

• Like 2

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Waddle isn't all that much bigger and more importantly Mock Drafts don't have much relevancy on how the draft will play out and that becomes clear every draft after the first few picks. 

Of course the mocks are just internet chatter.  But a change in the wind is a change in the wind.  And I wonder why the consensus flipped.  Waddle didn’t work out either.

6 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

All but a lock.  

Not really.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Well they did try not to drop the bombs.  They did invite Japan to witness the test bomb.   I always have wondered if they dropped the second too fast.   But as a factor to the Japanese surrender, it has to be viewed from the context of Curtis Lemay’s firebombing of Tokyo.  May be the closest to a war crime from the US of anything we ever did but it did demoralize the people and hurt the support for the war hawks.  It also led to the attempt on the emperor’s life.  My dad, who had joined up and was in the occupation forces in Japan, always thought Harry saved his life.  

My grandfather, who was in the Army in the Pacific, also credits that to Harry.

2 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo - was the destruction caused by the atom bombs so much more abhorrent that we can’t appreciate what it accomplished in terms of ending that war and providing a sobering example of what total war had become so that it has been avoided by the great powers ever since. I’m not sure if Truman thought in those terms, but I figure the planned invasion of Japan and Joe Stalin might have had something to do with it.

Dresden really falls to the British and their nighttime carpet bombing. 

Just now, eagle45 said:

Of course the mocks are just internet chatter.  But a change in the wind is a change in the wind.  And I wonder why the consensus flipped.  Waddle didn’t work out either.

Because that's what mock drafts do.  You have the same people doing 8 different drafts over a couple months because people keep clicking to read them.  You get 2 or 3 to move players up or down and then you got the rest of them doing the same thing because it's time to release a new mock draft and you gotta change it from your last.

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I find it interesting that, in January, Devonta Smith was considered a top 3 pick, neck and neck with Chase, if not ahead...and now the consensus has Waddle ahead of him with Smith going to us or later.

Weighing in at 170 and not working out at 23 will do that to a prospect.  

These players are like stocks between the months of January and April.  Rousseau has dropped about 40 spots in recent mocks, and his pro day probably had a lot to do with it.  Macorkle Jones is now #3 to the 49ers.  He wasn't even discussed as a 1st round draft pick after they had the most dominant season in the history of college football when he was surgical in every way.  I don't pretend to have an assessment of him because of the weapons around him.  

It makes these times more fascinating.  

The thing about Devonta Smiths physique is that no one can seem to get a good angle on him.  He is so slippery smooth whether he is running a route or running through a sea of defenders after catching the ball.  And when he does take a hit he takes it and gets back up.  And he has been doing this at a high volume for years at Alabama. 

He can catch the ball an elite level of ease no matter the degree of difficulty of the catch.  Plus, he dominated the best in college and he stepped up and did it on the biggest of stages. If he had Calvin Johnson's body he would be the #2 overall pick in the draft.  But he doesn't however the body he has wasn't an issue against nfl talent/future NFL talent in college to such a ridiculous level of dominance that I don't see it suddenly becoming an insurmountable issue for him in the pros. 

His catch at 3:01 in that video is incredible.  Some Julio Jones type of ability. 

• Like 2

Absolutely right. The way he turns angles upfield is a unique quality he has.

8 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The thing about Devonta Smiths physique is that no one can seem to get a good angle on him.  He is so slippery smooth whether he is running a route or running through a sea of defenders after catching the ball.  And he can catch the ball an elite level of ease no matter the degree of difficulty of the catch.  Plus, he dominated the best in college and he stepped up and did it on the biggest of stages. If he had Calvin Johnson's body he would be the #2 overall pick on the draft.  But he does t however the body he has wasn't an issue against nfl talent/future NFL talent in college to such a ridiculous level of dominance that I don't see it suddenly becoming an insurmountable issue for him in the pros. 

I actually wouldn't mind him if we traded back a few spots again.  But why'd you have to write that?  If Derek Barnett had Myle's Garrett's athleticism and arm length he'd have been the #2 overall pick.  If my aunt had a D she'd be my uncle!  

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

I actually wouldn't mind him if we traded back a few spots again.  But why'd you have to write that?  If Derek Barnett had Myle's Garrett's athleticism and arm length he'd have been the #2 overall pick.  If my aunt had a D she'd be my uncle!  

you have a P, so you're someones aunt

20 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

A theory goes that the second was dropped quickly to signal to Stalin that we could mass produce them and were willing to go through with a total nuclear war. Basically, it was an attempt to prevent WWII from morphing quickly into WWIII.

In any case, I think it's silly to criticize the use of the bomb. We were in a war. You fight to win with the fewest friendly losses while maximizes your chances of victory. The atom bomb put at risk two air crews for an unconditional victory. Any other decision would have been not just wrong, but horrifically negligent of the CIC.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

They won't get him if they trade back. I'm not even sure he will be there at 12.  Either him or Waddle will likely go before the Eagles pick.  I'm hoping it's Waddle that goes first due to a team going for speed above the rest like the Raiders did last season with Ruggs.  Smith at 12 would be a dream scenario.  Him or Horn at 12 is what I am hoping for. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

The thing about Devonta Smiths physique is that no one can seem to get a good angle on him.  He is so slippery smooth whether he is running a route or running through a sea of defenders after catching the ball.  And he can catch the ball an elite level of ease no matter the degree of difficulty of the catch.  Plus, he dominated the best in college and he stepped up and did it on the biggest of stages. If he had Calvin Johnson's body he would be the #2 overall pick on the draft.  But he does t however the body he has wasn't an issue against nfl talent/future NFL talent in college to such a ridiculous level of dominance that I don't see it suddenly becoming an insurmountable issue for him in the pros. 

After watching that video I think he had two pro level catches, the back shoulder where he extends and gets both feet in bounds and the slant where he goes into traffic and snatches the ball.

All the other catches were designed to get him separation the one down the seem he was covered by a LB good job O coaches bad job D coaches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToastJenkins said:

If Slater is somehow there at 12 you happily take him. Could be an all world guard and a really good tackle

Can't say I've watched a lot of CFB, but conceptually I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted a guy who was a high probability All-Pro guard. We need talent everywhere. 

2 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Dillard was genuinely bad.  Tossed aside like a child anytime someone came at him with power.  Legitimate reports out of camp that he might not have the mentality to play the game at this level.  Last training camp the reports weren't any better on him before his injury. 

None of that applies to Hurts.  He had a legitimately promising rookie year.  The only truly concerning thing about Hurts rookie year were his fumbles.  Other than that he looked promising and made a number of really nice throws.  He's also just 22 whereas Dillard is already 25 at this point and there is a better younger option than him on the roster. 

Nice jumping through hoops, but you're still a hypocrite.

1 minute ago, RememberTheKoy said:

They won't get him if they trade back. I'm not even sure he will be there at 12.  Either him or Waddle will likely go before the Eagles pick.  I'm hoping it's Waddle that goes first due to a team going for speed above the rest like the Raiders did last season with Ruggs.  Smith at 12 would be a dream scenario.  Him or Horn at 12 is what I am hoping for. 

I like Waddle a lot.  I want him at 12, but I don't think he compares to Ruggs.  He's quick twitch, powerful despite being smaller, and he has the chance to be one of the most explosive receivers in the league because of his ability to separate.  He's a video game no matter where he goes.  Ruggs unfortunately went to a team with a QB that can't push the ball down the field.  However..............I wouldn't smash my TV if we drafted Smith or Horn at 12 since Waddle will probably be gone.  

7 minutes ago, Utebird said:

After watching that video I think he had two pro level catches, the back shoulder where he extends and gets both feet in bounds and the slant where he goes into traffic and snatches the ball.

All the other catches were designed to get him separation the one down the seem he was covered by a LB good job O coaches bad job D coaches.

It feels like this is today's NFL anyway.  If you have a weak offensive mind coaching (whether coordinator or HC), you'll get destroyed.  We've seen that up close for the last 3 seasons.  

Reagor is a great example.  If he's a raw rookie talent, why can't they create a few plays to get him in space?  Why does he return 5 punts the entire season when we stink anyway?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Utebird said:

The move at the start of his route he puts on the defender at 3:46 leaving him flat footed and then just puts it in another gear to glides past him doesn't impress you at all?