Connecticut Eagle

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

2 hours ago, austinfan said:

Stoutland pushed for Dillard, in Stoutland we trust. I doubt anyone tells Stoutland who to play, and Stoutland probably tells Howie who to keep.

How good is he, he's on his 3rd HC, nuff said.

Could Mailata play LG? Brooks is a big guy at RG and he's doing OK. There have been some 6'7 guards. He's certainly strong enough to handle DTs.

It'll be interesting how Stoutland uses people in TC.

If Lane is healthy (not worried about Brooks, he was practicing in December), Eagles may have the best OL in the NFL:  Mailata/Dillard - Seumalo - Kelce - Brooks -  Lane, Driscoll, Herbig, as your top 8 before the draft. We'll see about Pryor, Opeta, Juriga, Toth in camp.

Stoutland had not worked out Dillard or even talked with him except a thirty minute Skype because he was thought to be out of reach. https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/how-jeff-stoutland-last-minute-phone-call-helped-eagles-land-andre-dillard
I like Mailata but this projection that he is better than Dillard is uneducated and based on his flop at RT, a position he had never played. 
Juriga has me intrigued. Not a great athlete but Eagles really liked him and made him a priority FA. 
A prospect that has me intrigued is Ryan McCollum from A&M.  Progressed every year.  Nice hand work.  Like Juriga, not very athletic but has nice ability to hand off the DT and get to second level blocks. Should be available Day 3 and I think he can play both C and G. So grab a G day two and a C/G day 3. 

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Good ole Joshie Buttons is at it again.  This dude actually takes himself seriously.

no way unless howie is ready for this

howieburn.gif

2 hours ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

So the combine reverts back to its origins.

And most important function for teams 

17 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Ah so he can't get better? 

I would hope he can because that is absolutely dreadful. How much do you reasonably expect such a bad player to improve though?  In the twitter thread I posted earlier it showed how easily he is overpowered when a defender decides to just come right at him. Eve on the second level on screens when he tries to take on smaller linebackers he gets tossed aside like a child. 

B/R Gridiron

@brgridiron
· 3h
The NFL is expected to pass a rule that will relax jersey number restrictions, per @peter_king — QB: 1-19 — WR: 1-49, 80-89 — RB: 1-49, 80-89 — TE: 1-49, 80-89 — DB: 1-49 — LB: 1-59, 90-99 — OL: 50-79 — DL: 50-79, 90-99

6 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

How many games did he play out of position at RT?

Only 1. He got manhandled at LT as well.  Plus how much value does an offensive lineman provide to a roster if he is so woefully incapable of being interchangeable along other areas on the line? 

4 minutes ago, Original Sin said:
B/R Gridiron

@brgridiron
· 3h
The NFL is expected to pass a rule that will relax jersey number restrictions, per @peter_king — QB: 1-19 — WR: 1-49, 80-89 — RB: 1-49, 80-89 — TE: 1-49, 80-89 — DB: 1-49 — LB: 1-59, 90-99 — OL: 50-79 — DL: 50-79, 90-99

Wow I wonder how many players will change their numbers

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Good ole Joshie Buttons is at it again.  This dude actually takes himself seriously.

Rumor: Josie Buttons is so full of ish that posting any of his crap should result in a seven day self imposed suspension from the Blog.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Rumor: Josie Buttons is so full of ish that posting any of his crap should result in a seven day self imposed suspension from the Blog.  

If someone posted it as other than a joke, maybe.

3 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

I would hope he can because that is absolutely dreadful. How much do you reasonably expect such a bad player to improve though?  In the twitter thread I posted earlier it showed how easily he is overpowered when a defender decides to just come right at him. Eve on the second level on screens when he tries to take on smaller linebackers he gets tossed aside like a child. 

The sample size is so small, I have no idea what he can be. He might be a complete and total flop. But there's no detriment at all to waiting and seeing how he looks in camp and pre-season. There's a better than good chance Mailata ends up as the opening day starter. But there's no need to declare him so now, and there's no need to declare now that Dillard is a bust who will never amount to anything in the league. 

@aptosbird posted it a few pages back, some posters in here are so hell bent on seeing Eagles players fail just so they can be the first ones to say I told you so. It's nauseating. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Wow I wonder how many players will change their numbers

This might be good for jersey sales.  Maybe some prominent players change their numbers.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

He played for the Patriots too.  Former a Patriots have now murdered people in the double digits.

Terrible story and CTE probably played a role.

I'm curious, has there been any research into whether the NFL's new concussion protocol has helped to decrease CTE in players?  

Where are they now? LB Byron Evans

Apr 08, 2021 at 01:58 PM

Gehman_Jim_Headshot_051018

•  
  •  
  •  

Byron Evans AP2 1920 040821

Paul Spinelli/1992 Paul Spinelli

Shortly after arriving at Eagles Training Camp in 1987, Byron Evans was given uniform No. 56. But if the rookie linebacker hoped to make the team and then get some playing time once the regular season rolled around, he'd have to learn coach Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense.

Easier said than done.

"It was very complicated," says Evans, a fourth-round draft pick out of Arizona. "Probably one of the most complex defenses of all time. But it wasn't intimidating. I think, more than anything, I was surrounded by a good bunch of guys who were willing to go the extra mile and help me out and give me the confidence boost that I needed.

"(Fourth-year veteran strong safety) Andre Waters, he'd taken me under his wing and just really gave me the confidence that I needed. Just let me know that I could get it done. If I studied, I could make it happen."

Playing mostly on special teams, Evans would make eight starts during his first two seasons before becoming the first-team middle linebacker in 1989. Leading the Eagles with 184 tackles, which included three games with 20-plus stops, Evans was indeed making it happen.

"It just showed all the hard work I put into it," Evans says. "I remember (assistant coach) Jeff Fisher, when we played in the Fog Bowl (in Chicago) in 1988, he pulled me aside and said, 'The only way the defense is really going to take off is that you have to be in there. You have to run this defense like you're able to run it.'

"So all that reassurance during the '88 season and staying (in Philadelphia) all of the offseason, spending all the excess time that I needed (to learn the intricacies of the defense), when we played Seattle in the (1989) opening game (and won 31-7), I was able to call all the signals. Buddy gave me a game ball for that."

It was one of several game balls he'd receive from the coaches. The following season they presented him with a new title: team captain.

"It showed that the coaches felt I was competent, I was worthy, and that I was able to lead the defense. That gave me another shot in the arm and the pat on the back that I needed. That made me feel like, 'Hey, I was there,'" Evans says. "To be named one of the captains, you have to trust the person and really believe in what they were doing. They believed that you were a leader and that made me feel real good."

Under new Head Coach Rich Kotite and his staff in 1991, Evans was still thought of as a team leader and was named as a defensive co-captain along with Reggie White.

When he was a rookie, Evans had to study and learn Ryan's specific defense. And now, as a veteran, he did the same to understand new Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson's playbook fully.

"It was pretty difficult, but a lot of the things that we had were pretty similar, just different terminology," Evans says. "Bud was a heck of a defensive coordinator, being in the (Pittsburgh's) Steel Curtain and the Cleveland Browns and all of that. Bud knew what he was doing. It was a good transitional period. I think Bud, rest his soul, was just a great defensive coordinator and a great person."

Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson consults with B & E.

Defensive Coordinator Bud Carson consults with B & E.

Philadelphia's game at Veterans Stadium against Cleveland on November 13, 1994 was, well, not a good day for the home team. The Eagles lost, 26-7, which began a seven-game losing streak to close the season with a 7-9 record.

"That was one of those days, a very eerie day. I usually had a little pregame ritual that I used to get myself psyched up," Evans says. "Being a middle linebacker, you have to get the team ready and I was getting the team ready, but I wasn't ready.

"It just seemed like everything was in slow motion for me. It's hard to believe (because) the Browns were 7-2 and the Eagles were 7-2. One of the biggest games of the year for us, and it was kind of hard for me to really get into it."

As bad as a game was for the Eagles, it was worse for Evans. He suffered career-ending injuries, a fractured right tibia and a torn MCL, while tackling Browns running back Leroy Hoard.

"Usually, when you break your leg, you don't tear up your knee. And when you tear up your knee, you don't break your leg. But in that case, I did both," Evans says. "But never once did I say, 'Why me?' Everything that was supposed to happen, happened. I think it was the Lord telling me it's time for you to go and do something else.

"I was in the last year of my contract, and as a matter of fact, I turned down a contract with the Eagles. I was getting ready to sign for all this money, but the Bible tells us – 'What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul. And what exchange would a man do for his soul?' – I was getting ready to do all this, but the Lord had different plans for me."

Evans, his wife, Alva, and their adult children: Brykara, Byron II, and Brielle, make their home in Phoenix, where he is the assistant pastor at the Shiloh Apostolic Church.

A year ago, he returned to his alma mater, South Mountain High School, as its football coach.

"It's a dream of everyone that goes off, everyone that makes it. That's the dream and it's no different for me," Evans says. "Through faith. Through hard work. Through dedication. It just came around. Everything was in order."

While his first season on the sideline was challenging because of the pandemic – they could only play three games, winning two – Evans enjoyed every moment.

"Those kids are me. The same thing that I went through and been through and done that for a reason, and that's to give them the opportunity to say, 'Hey, if coach can do it, I can do it.' And they have every opportunity to do it," Evans says.

"And not only that, they look at it as being a difference-maker. Somebody that's not going to give up on them. Somebody that's consistent. Somebody that tells them that they love them."

The affection Evans has for the kids was clear during a recent free clinic he held along with former Eagles teammates Seth Joyner and Mark McMillian.

"Whenever you can have a player like Byron, who comes from the same background as those kids, it's a blessing," McMillian says. "They see him in the neighborhood, but to see him acting out and see him getting fired up and just bonding with the kids, a lot of kids looked at that as motivation.

"For Byron, that means so much for him to work with these young kids and be able to give back to the same community that raised him."

From PE.com: https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/where-are-they-now-byron-evans

Loved B&E, he's such an underrated player.  Terrible way for him to end his career.  He legit was about to leave the Eagles as a free agent that offseason.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Terrible story and CTE probably played a role.

I'm curious, has there been any research into whether the NFL's new concussion protocol has helped to decrease CTE in players?  

You can't really tell until they are dead

33 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The sample size is so small, I have no idea what he can be. He might be a complete and total flop. But there's no detriment at all to waiting and seeing how he looks in camp and pre-season. There's a better than good chance Mailata ends up as the opening day starter. But there's no need to declare him so now, and there's no need to declare now that Dillard is a bust who will never amount to anything in the league. 

@aptosbird posted it a few pages back, some posters in here are so hell bent on seeing Eagles players fail just so they can be the first ones to say I told you so. It's nauseating. 

You have to admit, Howie has been making that easier to do.

12 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

From PE.com: https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/where-are-they-now-byron-evans

Loved B&E, he's such an underrated player.  Terrible way for him to end his career.  He legit was about to leave the Eagles as a free agent that offseason.

One of the dumbest HC hires of all time in the NFL. Inept OC over an offense that had talent becomes HC. Braman was such a POS.

47 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Mailata should be the starter.  It should be his job to lose.  He has all the potential in the world to develop into a dominant OT.  He's also younger than Dillard. 

The very real fear though is that they do some sham competition and make Dillard the starter simply because they wasted a first on him.  It's exactly the type of move this organization would make. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Original Sin said:
B/R Gridiron

@brgridiron
· 3h

they should let o-line get numbers in the 90s. 

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

Stoutland had not worked out Dillard or even talked with him except a thirty minute Skype because he was thought to be out of reach. https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/how-jeff-stoutland-last-minute-phone-call-helped-eagles-land-andre-dillard
I like Mailata but this projection that he is better than Dillard is uneducated and based on his flop at RT, a position he had never played. 
Juriga has me intrigued. Not a great athlete but Eagles really liked him and made him a priority FA. 
A prospect that has me intrigued is Ryan McCollum from A&M.  Progressed every year.  Nice hand work.  Like Juriga, not very athletic but has nice ability to hand off the DT and get to second level blocks. Should be available Day 3 and I think he can play both C and G. So grab a G day two and a C/G day 3. 

Or based on watching mailata manhandled all pro DEs this past season. What are the odds that dillard is as good as mailata was this past season? Dillard was fine his rookie hear but at no point was he throwing grown men around like mailata can. 

That said, they can have a competition all they want. Mailata will be starting week 1. They should work on trying to train dillard at RT for when Lane inevitably goes down again. 

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

At least he didn't add "ribbed for Howie's pleasure".

53 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Only 1. He got manhandled at LT as well.  Plus how much value does an offensive lineman provide to a roster if he is so woefully incapable of being interchangeable along other areas on the line? 

Dillard is an unproven player. What he looks like after a year off will tell a great deal. Stoutland is a great coach and this holds some hope for the situation. BTW, you are doing the fixation on a player and beating a dead horse about their negatives as if these issues are not evident to the rest of the board -- the Foles fixation you used to blah, blah, blah about. You might want to ease up a bit on it because, frankly, I've found many of your observations credible and thoughtful since you returned to the board.  A bit of friendly advice, take it for what its worth.

1 minute ago, Next_Up said:

Dillard is an unproven player. What he looks like after a year off will tell a great deal. Stoutland is a great coach and this holds some hope for the situation. BTW, you are doing the fixation on a player and beating a dead horse about their negatives as if these issues are not evident to the rest of the board -- the Foles fixation you used to blah, blah, blah about. You might want to ease up a bit on it because, frankly, I've found many of your observations credible and thoughtful since you returned to the board.  A bit of friendly advice, take it for what its worth.

This organization has shown over the past several years to prioritize putting a player on the field over another based on size of contract or draft status instead of who is actually playing better.  I just don't see it with Dillard that he is going to become a player worth starting especially when we have a young higher ceiling player who has shown he can actually hold his own at LT.  If Dillard was all we had at LT then maybe I wouldn't be so critical of him but that isn't the case. 

I hope that made up Buttons rumor is true. If Kyle Trask could carry Kyle Pitts’ middling talent to a top 10 pick, imagine what he can do with the Eagles’ skill players. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

Do we know what his specific injury was this last year? Was it a high ankle sprain? Collapsed ankle doesn't seem like a proper diagnosis? Do you have any insight? 

My guess is that the repetitive significant ankle injuries resulted In avascular necrosis of his talus, which then collapsed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, devpool said:

Or based on watching mailata manhandled all pro DEs this past season. What are the odds that dillard is as good as mailata was this past season? Dillard was fine his rookie hear but at no point was he throwing grown men around like mailata can. 

That said, they can have a competition all they want. Mailata will be starting week 1. They should work on trying to train dillard at RT for when Lane inevitably goes down again. 

I really think people fail to realize what an accomplishment it is for Mailata to even play in an NFL game in his 3rd year after never even putting pads on until 2 years prior and then missing his 2nd year with an injury.  What he did is/was truly remarkable.  He came in and learned a new sport.  Adjusted to that sport and showed traits of dominance.  Yes, he struggled but geez that's expected.  He has more promise than any other player on the Eagles roster.  I'm not taking him out for Dillard at all.  

You nailed it.  Mailata has next level strength.  Who in the NFL can say they completely manhandled 6-8 330 lb Calais Campbell?  

What Mailata lacks right now are all of the small instincts and natural reactions that guys have from playing football since Pee-Wee ball.  Dillard got a late start as well but still has about 10 years of football experience over Mailata.  

I'm also not sure why folks are so quick to defend Dillard in his RT disaster game but are so quick to judge Mailata for any poor play he had.  It should be Mailata's job to lose.  Dillard hasn't shown me near enough to warrant a starting position.