Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Featured Replies

41 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

If they hit him in the head area, yes.

DJax and his history of concussions if he has any would be a good comparison, it’s not like he was even 175lbs when he was drafted, plus in 2008 the league was different. Smith is just as elusive if not more than DJax. 

  • Replies 66.6k
  • Views 3.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Know Life
    Know Life

    I turned 38 today and have lost 52lbs since February. I’m very rarely ever proud of myself, but I’m feeling pretty proud today and thought I’d share. Carry on.

  • At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays.  BOOOOOOOOM

Posted Images

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

He could only be a post June 1 trade, and the savings this year are only 1.07 million with 5.9 million dead cap hit.  Does not make sense to trade him.

I think it potentially helps in 2023.  If they got a 2022 third round pick, I think it would potentially make sense.  

Just now, The Blackfish said:

DJax and his history of concussions if he has any would be a good comparison, it’s not like he was even 175lbs when he was drafted, plus in 2008 the league was different. Smith is just as elusive if not more than DJax. 

I don’t see elusive with Devonta Smith.  I see him being schemed open a lot, I see him running crisp routes, I see really good hands, I see some vertical ability.  I see 4.4 speed but not elite straight-line speed.  I see competitiveness.

He’s not that difficult to hit.  There are a few examples in game footage where he gets lined up and put down; I don’t see much footage of great moves, jukes, or great cuts.  Taking those same hits at the NFL level from 200+ lb players could be a problem for him at 167 lbs.

He’s a really good prospect, but he’d be too much risk for me as a first round pick.  I’m hoping either MIA or DET loved him so the Eagles don’t have to make the decision on him at #12

9 hours ago, The guy in France said:

So the fact that with both, playing physical being a major part of their game rather than finesse doesn’t give you pause in a less lenient NFL ?

not when it seems likely we will play more press/2-deep

26 minutes ago, hputenis said:

Anyone know what happened to Demetric Felton recently?  He has plummeted in recent mocks.  I liked him as a possible 4th round, poor man's Curtis Samuel type, but if he's there in the 6th I feel like that's great value.  

Word got out

12 minutes ago, blindside said:

Yeah, well.. the same players from the SEC go on to play in the pros. He’s had lots of opportunity to get his brains scrambled by real strong, big fast dudes. The average NFL player is bigger faster and stronger. But it’s not like he’s been playing flag football at Alabama. I just don’t buy that argument 

I’d like to see how many times he got pushed out of bounds, the college game is way more defensive friendly, PI penalties are basically 15 yards, plus as long as the ball isn’t in the air as a DB, you can push the WR all over the field if you want.  
 Side note, this is where everyone should have concerns about Horn, hands off is not his of play.  

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t see elusive with Devonta Smith.  I see him being schemed open a lot, I see him running crisp routes, I see really good hands, I see some vertical ability.  I see 4.4 speed but not elite straight-line speed.  I see competitiveness.

He’s not that difficult to hit.  There are a few examples in game footage where he gets lined up and put down; I don’t see much footage of great moves, jukes, or great cuts.  Taking those same hits at the NFL level from 200+ lb players could be a problem for him at 167 lbs.

He’s a really good prospect, but he’d be too much risk for me as a first round pick.  I’m hoping either MIA or DET loved him so the Eagles don’t have to make the decision on him at #12

So I'm not a Devonta Smith guy at all, I've made that pretty clear.  However, I've been watching a lot of his tape lately to try and understand why he's so good and what he does well that will translate to the NFL.  This is a great breakdown by Nate Burleson.  He isn't cat quick like Jaylen Waddle but he somehow, and you just can't describe how, finds cracks in the defense.  The play on here where he sees the DL/LB coming for his head and cuts in to a crease is pretty remarkable.

 

28 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I think Brandon Brooks is going to prove a lot of people wrong this year.  I get that he's been injured, serious ones at that.  I just have a feeling he's going to have an Evan Mathis post age 30 career.

He's only missed one season. He was practicing with the team in December.

Great athlete, great work ethic, won't surprise me if he bounces back with a pro bowl season, similar to Peters at the same age.

Peters lost a season at 30, made the pro bowl the next four years.

2 minutes ago, austinfan said:

He's only missed one season. He was practicing with the team in December.

Great athlete, great work ethic, won't surprise me if he bounces back with a pro bowl season, similar to Peters at the same age.

Peters lost a season at 30, made the pro bowl the next four years.

We've been on the same page a few times this week.

MRW strange things are afoot at the circle k - Album on Imgur

7 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t see elusive with Devonta Smith.  I see him being schemed open a lot, I see him running crisp routes, I see really good hands, I see some vertical ability.  I see 4.4 speed but not elite straight-line speed.  I see competitiveness.

He’s not that difficult to hit.  There are a few examples in game footage where he gets lined up and put down; I don’t see much footage of great moves, jukes, or great cuts.  Taking those same hits at the NFL level from 200+ lb players could be a problem for him at 167 lbs.

He’s a really good prospect, but he’d be too much risk for me as a first round pick.  I’m hoping either MIA or DET loved him so the Eagles don’t have to make the decision on him at #12

I see it as If I had Waddle or Smith on the board, Id go Smith because he is more polished. He has that route tree skills. He has a nice crisp cuts to get open. I don't care if he has "elite" speed, most elite speed guys are not great or even good WRs in the NFL. Waddle to me is a project, Im not looking for a project at 12. I want a polished guy to make a impact now. Waddle is more of the risky player to me. I felt the same about Ruggs and Reagor last year, I only had Lamb, Jeudy and Jefferson as 1st rd WRs on my board and wanted nothing to do with Ruggs ro Reagor and we see how that turned out. I think elite speed is over rated because we dont see the consistency out of those players in past history. 

Best case is Horn or Surtain is there to take over either. But if I had to choose either of the two, I am going Smith. 

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don’t see elusive with Devonta Smith.  I see him being schemed open a lot, I see him running crisp routes, I see really good hands, I see some vertical ability.  I see 4.4 speed but not elite straight-line speed.  I see competitiveness.

He’s not that difficult to hit.  There are a few examples in game footage where he gets lined up and put down; I don’t see much footage of great moves, jukes, or great cuts.  Taking those same hits at the NFL level from 200+ lb players could be a problem for him at 167 lbs.

He’s a really good prospect, but he’d be too much risk for me as a first round pick.  I’m hoping either MIA or DET loved him so the Eagles don’t have to make the decision on him at #12

If he was 10lbs heavier we likely wouldn’t be having this conversation, that’s not enough for me to say no.  I’d still take Waddle, Chase, and Pitts ahead of him, but he’s a top 20 Pick IMO.  Top 15 if so many QB’s weren’t being over drafted this year.  

 

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

So I'm not a Devonta Smith guy at all, I've made that pretty clear.  However, I've been watching a lot of his tape lately to try and understand why he's so good and what he does well that will translate to the NFL.  This is a great breakdown by Nate Burleson.  He isn't cat quick like Jaylen Waddle but he somehow, and you just can't describe how, finds cracks in the defense.  The play on here where he sees the DL/LB coming for his head and cuts in to a crease is pretty remarkable.

 

I can describe how — he’s playing against scrubs every week.

Alabama is playing against a less talented team every time they take the field.  To me it’s a lot like trying to evaluate Tua or Mac Jones — when you’re facing no pressure and throwing to an all-star team every game it’s difficult to evaluate whether that will translate to the NFL, where most games in your first couple of years you’ll be playing teams better than you are.  That’s the biggest reason Alabama hasn’t produced a big time QB in a long time.

As far as WR prospects they have a much better track record, but I’d still be wary of him.

26 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

They just restructured him. They are going to put $15M more onto the cap to trade him? Sure.

It's insane we're even talking about this.

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I can describe how — he’s playing against scrubs every week.

Alabama is playing against a less talented team every time they take the field.  To me it’s a lot like trying to evaluate Tua or Mac Jones — when you’re facing no pressure and throwing to an all-star team every game it’s difficult to evaluate whether that will translate to the NFL, where most games in your first couple of years you’ll be playing teams better than you are.  That’s the biggest reason Alabama hasn’t produced a big time QB in a long time.

As far as WR prospects they have a much better track record, but I’d still be wary of him.

What scrubs exactly?

Mosher on his pod today said he talked to some former players whose general reaction to Sirianni's PC yesterday was "what the hell is this guy doing?"

1 minute ago, The Blackfish said:

Jefferson doesn’t put up those numbers in Philly last year, probably not even close. 

Agreed but he’d help out whoever we have for the future

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Mosher on his pod today said he talked to some former players whose general reaction to Sirianni's PC yesterday was "what the hell is this guy doing?"

Yea, in all honesty, it came off as very amateurish.  The kind of stuff a high school team would eat up.  For grown men getting paid millions, I can see many of them saying F this guy.  

I hope I'm wrong and we have all these guys who love ball and buy in to what he's selling.

As of now we have a coked up high school coach.

Sirianni watched Ted Lasso and believes that will translate to real life. 

23 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I can describe how — he’s playing against scrubs every week.

Alabama is playing against a less talented team every time they take the field.  To me it’s a lot like trying to evaluate Tua or Mac Jones — when you’re facing no pressure and throwing to an all-star team every game it’s difficult to evaluate whether that will translate to the NFL, where most games in your first couple of years you’ll be playing teams better than you are.  That’s the biggest reason Alabama hasn’t produced a big time QB in a long time.

As far as WR prospects they have a much better track record, but I’d still be wary of him.

 

He dominated bowl games.  He dominated top ranked opponents. At a certain point you have to acknowledge that he is just a supremely talented player. 

59 minutes ago, blindside said:

You missed the joke. 

He is overly sensitive about Roseman.

1 minute ago, bpac55 said:

Yea, in all honesty, it came off as very amateurish.  The kind of stuff a high school team would eat up.  For grown men getting paid millions, I can see many of them saying F this guy.  

I hope I'm wrong and we have all these guys who love ball and buy in to what he's selling.

As of now we have a coked up high school coach.

At the end of the day, winning is all that matters. If they win, I think players will buy in or be fine. My concern is how he responds to a team that is struggling or in a slump. He needs to be able to spark the locker room and give them a kick in the ass to get them back on track. Doug had his faults but his strength was absolutely getting the team on track and staying committed. 

It's interesting because a lot of players went on record who worked with Sirianni saying he's a great guy and coach. But it could be his personality and approach works more for an OC but maybe not a HC.

13 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

What scrubs exactly?

What do you mean which scrubs exactly?  How many draft-eligible CB did he play against last year?  He played one game vs UGA, one game vs LSU, and one game vs OSU.

The other 10 games are basically foregone conclusions before they start.

Old man yells at cloud - Imgur

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.