EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Im in the medical field in direct contact with the Vaccine distribution and manufacturing and I can tell you in no way does it prevent you from getting it nor spreading it. It only reduces the fatal symptoms. So you first comment is somewhat true for "most" Everyone reacts different to the vaccine. But you can still get and transfer covid after getting the vaccine. 

They've done studies and have shown that the vaccine prevents you getting covid. 

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They've done studies and have shown that the vaccine prevents you getting covid. 

Interesting.  Not here. It does, but not 100% effective.

1 hour ago, aptosbird said:

I ask this question every year...Where does the first round really end in terms of player value?...this is the first eyar i have ever seen it answered. It looks like the Eagles are in a good spot to walk away with first round talent, hopefully IOL, CB, WR

Considering where the Panthers pick and players they might be willing to trade down to given a value offer for their pick, 16 sounds about right. I would expect the Eagles have a similar number and that includes range and value for trade up options too.  

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/6-myths-about-covid-19-vaccines-debunked

Myth #2: The vaccines don’t really work that well — they don’t reduce virus transmission.

Most experts have been urging people to continue following public health guidelines, including masking and social distancing, even after they’ve been fully vaccinated with two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — and after enough time has passed for those vaccinations to have taken effect (generally two weeks).  

The reason for this recommendation is because while the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been shown to have 95% efficacy against illness (and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 85% protective against severe disease), the clinical trials were not designed to test whether any of the trial participants contracted COVID-19 but showed no symptoms. 

"The experts are saying that the vaccines do not reduce transmission, but that is an inaccurate statement,” Gandhi says. "Vaccines have always decreased transmission. What they should be saying is that the clinical trials were not designed to test for asymptomatic infection, but there is every biological reason in the world to believe that they will reduce asymptomatic transmission.”

There is already evidence to support this, she says. First, when the vaccines were studied in macaque monkeys (during preclinical testing), they did eliminate asymptomatic infection — researchers swabbed the vaccinated macaques’ noses and found little or no virus. Second, the types of antibodies that are stimulated by most systemic vaccines (IgG and IgA) do tend to block viral infection in the nose (and no viral load in the nose most likely translates to no transmission). Finally, when monoclonal antibodies are given to COVID-19 patients, those antibodies reduce the viral load throughout the respiratory tract, including the nose.

The most convincing evidence, though, is just starting to emerge among real-world data. In Israel, where more than 90% of those age 60 and over have been vaccinated, "cases have plummeted in this population,” Gandhi notes. "Not just hospitalizations, which we expected, but cases [asymptomatic infection] as well.” Moreover, data from vaccinated health care workers recently published in the Lancet and preprint servers show reduced rates of asymptomatic infection and low viral loads in the nose when swabbing after vaccination.

"I think that in a few months, we are going to be able to say with certainty that these vaccines not only protect you, they also protect those around you,” Ranney says.

21 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Maybe someone should tell the NFL the Vaccine does not prevent you from getting Covid or prevent you from carrying it and spreading it. It only lessons the chance of getting fatal symptoms. The big brain trust of the NFL. 

Big brain and Goodell don’t belong in the same sentence. 

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interesting.  Not here. It does, but not 100% effective.

Yeah not 100% but I believe 80%.

1 hour ago, aptosbird said:

I ask this question every year...Where does the first round really end in terms of player value?...this is the first eyar i have ever seen it answered. It looks like the Eagles are in a good spot to walk away with first round talent, hopefully IOL, CB, WR

Then you have to think about the talent gap between a "1st'" and 2nd" round talent.  If you don't think it's that drastic, they could be in a prime trade down situation.  

If you were to compare let's say Kwitty Paye and Zaven Collins.  Paye is the 1st round talent while Collins is then 2nd round talent.  I think Collins shows more upside and will have a bigger impact.  Do you take Paye at 12 because right now he's considered 1st round talent or do you trade back, get what IMO is a much better player despite being a 2nd round talent and get more draft picks?  

The draft game is really fun to dissect and think about.  I just wish we had better results on our end to discuss.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well I have studies and personally witnessed people getting covid even after being vaccinated. Actually, a few on this board even mentioned they had the vaccine and still got covid many weeks after. So those studies are incorrect. 

Here is your studies, read the fine print. This is from the CDC

Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.

So that basicly says what I said. It helps BUT it does not prevent you from getting covid and if you do get covid still then it "helps" you from getting seriously ill. So yes it helps most people, but everyone's body is different and it does not work on everyone the same. So you can still get covid and you can still spread it. 

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.

So that basicly says what I said. It helps BUT it does not prevent you from getting covid and if you do get covid still then it "helps" you from getting seriously ill. So yes it helps most people, but everyone's body is different and it does not work on everyone the same. So you can still get covid and you can still spread it. 

Right it is like 80% effective at preventing you getting it which is significant. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Right it is like 80% effective at preventing you getting it which is significant. 

Just wanted to show you your first post. Just might want to think of what you write to be more detailed. You should have wrote the vaccine prevents "Most" from getting covid to keep you closer to the safe zone. Cause as we all know, nothing is 100% esp in the medical field

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not true. The vaccine prevents hospitalizations, it limits the effects you suffer and it significantly reduces you actually getting covid and spreading it. 

Then why do I have to wear a mask in public?

5 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Well I have studies and personally witnessed people getting covid even after being vaccinated. Actually, a few on this board even mentioned they had the vaccine and still got covid many weeks after. So those studies are incorrect. 

Here is your studies, read the fine print. This is from the CDC

There have been some hospitalizations and even a few deaths from Covid for vaccinated people. The great news, and why everyone should get the vaccine, is that statistically that group of people versus hospitalizations and deaths to the unvaccinated are significantly reduced.  That’s why, even though you have been vaccinated, it is the responsible thing to continue to practice health precautions like indoor masks, social distance and washing hands regularly.  Given the number of people that get hospitalized and die from the flu, perhaps we should use similar precautions during flu season. Sure worked this last year.  Get the flu vaccine but understand the limits of efficacy. 

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Just wanted to show you your first post. Just might want to think of what you write to be more detailed. You should have wrote the vaccine prevents "Most" from getting covid to keep you closer to the safe zone. Cause as we all know, nothing is 100% esp in the medical field

Yeah ok you've got me there. When I said it stops I mean for most people it stops.

4 minutes ago, greend said:

Then why do I have to wear a mask in public?

Because you are a good Christian and care for your fellow man.  That nice parable about the Good Samaritan gave a great message that all of us should strive for. 

30 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Incorrect

Im in the medical field in direct contact with the Vaccine distribution and manufacturing and I can tell you in no way does it prevent you from getting it nor spreading it. It only reduces the fatal symptoms. So you first comment is somewhat true for "most" Everyone reacts different to the vaccine. But you can still get and transfer covid after getting the vaccine. 

Maybe in the UK they have a magical vaccine we don't have in the US

Actually, I don't think they know because the studies haven't been completed, widespread vaccination has only been around since March, and you have to see how people fight off infection from different variants. There's some suggestion that if you reduce the viral load you also reduce the ability for the virus to spread.

But right how we're in the "better safe than sorry" phase of vaccination. In a few months we'll have better information about the probability of infection with vaccines as well as re-infection for those with either mild or severe symptoms.

10 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

Because you are a good Christian and care for your fellow man.  That nice parable about the Good Samaritan gave a great message that all of us should strive for. 

Yes, and Mr. Godell  needs to set an example and he doesn't need to be hugging players right now. 

2 minutes ago, greend said:

Yes, and Mr. Godell  needs to set an example and he doesn't need to be there.

FYP

Getting myself ready to deal with them picking a lineman in round 1 next week.

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Getting myself ready to deal with them picking a 2nd round lineman in round 1 next week.

fyp

1 minute ago, greend said:

fyp

Not sure there is enough time to prepare for that scenario.

16 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

There have been some hospitalizations and even a few deaths from Covid for vaccinated people. The great news, and why everyone should get the vaccine, is that statistically that group of people versus hospitalizations and deaths to the unvaccinated are significantly reduced.  That’s why, even though you have been vaccinated, it is the responsible thing to continue to practice health precautions like indoor masks, social distance and washing hands regularly.  Given the number of people that get hospitalized and die from the flu, perhaps we should use similar precautions during flu season. Sure worked this last year.  Get the flu vaccine but understand the limits of efficacy. 

Didnt read the whole thing but you are very correct. I actually have an employee who's Mom received the vaccine and only weeks later contracted Covid and her symptoms resulted in her passing away. So as mentioned, everyone reacts different to medicine. Now I think what UK was trying to say is that a majority of people that get the vaccine will have a great reduction which is wonderful. I think where he got caught up was saying at first was that it prevents it. Its best to stay way from any absolute or even %'s when dealing with the medical field unless you exact results to back it up. Best to stay safe and be broad with "most" or "majority" 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Should he though? I go back and forth on him to be honest. I think he's good, I think he's plug and play but I'm not sure he's going to be an elite OT? I can't make up my mind. 

I think so. Doubtful that were hit as hard with injuries on the OL, but the OL is a major question mark (to me).

Brooks can no longer stay healthy. Lane is always dinged up. Kelce was hurt last year and is on his last legs. Mailata is still a question mark (though I have confidence). Dillard is coming off of an injury and is a question mark himself. Seumalo is probably the "safest" lineman and he's a fine guard, but nothing to go crazy over.

Even if he's depth this season (I feel he'd get major playing time either way), Mailata shows he can stick to either tackle position and Dillard pans out, the pick looks very good next season. You'd be able to think about life after the right side and Kelce, while having 4 young, good lineman and people like Driscoll, Herbig, etc as young depth.

Maybe I'm in the minority.

1 hour ago, LeanMeanGM said:

There's Moehrig and Grant as the complete safeties and then just a bunch of roll players and question marks. Cisco may have been ok, but I don't really like drafting a guy who just tore his ACL 6 months ago. Johnson is a bad tackler. Washington is the DeVonta Smtih of Safeties. Molden is just another Avonte Maddox. Holland might be ok. It just seems weak compared to other years.

I don’t see any first round talent at safety, but if Moehrig is still on the board at #37 he’d be a good pick.  I would certainly consider Holland at #70 and Nasirildeen at #84 if they make it that far.

Archived