EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

Jaws:

On Hurts -

"The people I’ve spoken to have said wonderful things about Jalen Hurts,” Jaws said. "Coaches that are not on this staff right now, where if they wanted to say something negative they certainly could … did not. They spoke in glowing terms about Jalen Hurts, his leadership skills, the type of character he has, how much he wants to be the first guy in, the last guy out, how much he wants to work his butt off.”

"I thought when he got on the field, he played very well,” Jaworski said. "Here’s what happens though with young quarterbacks and mobile quarterbacks. They run too quick. He was a one-read guy. If one was there and open, he would throw it and look really good doing it. He wasn’t a progression reader. He got better as his four games went on but he wasn’t there yet. When you’re a running quarterback, you run because you can. I was impressed by those few games because he did make some good throws.

"But when teams start to look at the tape on you, what they do is they know what you want to do and they change their defense to take away what you want to do. That’s what happened to him the last couple of games. Defenses take away the bootlegs, the outside runs, they made him play from the pocket and he wasn’t as effective. The next transition has to be: Does Jalen adjust to what defenses did to him? That’s the big question. Four games is not a big enough sampling.”

The Reich offense -

"It’s a rock-solid offense. To me, it’s a staple of football. Balanced,” Jaws said. "Run the football effectively, force those linebackers and safety to cheap up and hit them with the play action passing game. It’s not going to be a wide open, three, four and five wideout look. There’s a physical part of what I saw from the offense Sirianni came from that I really like. It’s going to be a smash mouth football element but built into that are going to be shot plays.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-legend-ron-jaworski-breaks-down-jalen-hurts-rookie-season-future

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I'd rather have Jefferson than Lamb or Reagor... 

Yep.  And frankly, I would take Jefferson/Hurts over Lamb and probably Hurts over Chinn in the other pairings, knowing now how Wentz imploded.  

But I wasn’t a huge Chinn fan. I thought he was too raw and a SS only.  Still don’t see Chinn as a FS.  But I think Wallace produces at SS and can flip to FS some.  Chinn is a SS/LB type the way he was used last year. I think Wallace has some nickel level skills and may be more versatile.  He was a good value pick and one that I think Schwartz’s love for Mills left him on the bench too much. I really think the Eagles have the third S in Epps, the SS in Wallace, a temporary FS in Adams and hopefully the future FS in this draft.  Would love to see Holland in that role.  

4 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I hope they take Paye. Parsons is a baller. 

I'd rather they go EDGE for sure.

Would you rather they take Parsons pushing Horn/Surtain/Smith to us or them taking one of our targets forcing us to go EDGE/OL?

One reason I'm optimistic about Hurts is that if Sirianni installs the Reich offense (with his wrinkles), it'll be a good situation for a young QB to gradually expand his game as he learns how to be a NFL QB. There will be real dump off options, the emphasis on the run game will make it hard for DCs to blitz and key on pressuring Hurts, and there will be targets at different levels. If you can make it work with Brissett, you can make it work with Hurts.

Combine that with a healthy OL with depth (if Brooks and Lane start, you'll have Mailata/Dillard, Driscoll and Herbig on the bench) and Hurts won't have to pass 50 times a game. He's not going to go from being a college spread QB to a NFL QB in one season. But Hurts is a hard worker, and the scheme isn't as demanding on a QB as most offenses.

The key will be picking up a power back in this draft, if Harris falls to #37 I can see the Eagles snatching him up or someone similar to pair with Sanders. With this OL, and two explosive RBs, life would become much easier for Hurts.

Just now, RLC said:

I'd rather they go EDGE for sure.

Would you rather they take Parsons pushing Horn/Surtain/Smith to us or them taking one of our targets forcing us to go EDGE/OL?

I wouldn’t be disappointed in Slater at 12. Honestly, I like basically every option we’ve been linked to at 12 except Vera-Tucker and Paye. 

Just now, ManuManu said:

I wouldn’t be disappointed in Slater at 12. Honestly, I like basically every option we’ve been linked to at 12 except Vera-Tucker and Paye. 

I know what you mean. I like the options at #12 I just don't love them. 

Just now, austinfan said:

One reason I'm optimistic about Hurts is that if Sirianni installs the Reich offense (with his wrinkles), it'll be a good situation for a young QB to gradually expand his game as he learns how to be a NFL QB. There will be real dump off options, the emphasis on the run game will make it hard for DCs to blitz and key on pressuring Hurts, and there will be targets at different levels. If you can make it work with Brissett, you can make it work with Hurts.

Combine that with a healthy OL with depth (if Brooks and Lane start, you'll have Mailata/Dillard, Driscoll and Herbig on the bench) and Hurts won't have to pass 50 times a game. He's not going to go from being a college spread QB to a NFL QB in one season. But Hurts is a hard worker, and the scheme isn't as demanding on a QB as most offenses.

The key will be picking up a power pack in this draft, if Harris falls to #37 I can see the Eagles snatching him up or someone similar to pair with Sanders. With this OL, and two explosive RBs, life would become much easier for Hurts.

We’re a rebuilding team and you want a 23 year old power RB at 37? I like him, but no. 

3 minutes ago, austinfan said:

The key will be picking up a power back in this draft, if Harris falls to #37 I can see the Eagles snatching him up or someone similar to pair with Sanders. With this OL, and two explosive RBs, life would become much easier for Hurts.

What a terrible allocation of resources. Earliest I consider RB is RD3.

This team has holes at WR, iOL, iLB, CB, with long-term needs at S and DT, and you want to use a premium pick on a backup RB.

10 hours ago, ManuManu said:

Listening to Sirianni’s pre-draft press conference... The rock-paper-scissors thing was beyond stupid, but other than that it was pretty good. 

I thought the RPS was a bit funny.  Given how the press conferences have constantly been delayed during the pandemic, I kind of envisioned Sirianni being early to the interview (strikes me as that sort of guy), the prospect wanting to impress also being early and Howie being late, so while he’s waiting for Howie, Nick turns to the prospect and says, "How about a game of RPS?”  The prospect responds with a quizzical "Sure.”  Nick starts them off with "Rock, paper, scissors” and throws a paper to the prospect’s rock.  Nick then responds by talking trash, "You’re going to throw Rock?  That is so predictable.  Are you going to be predictable on the field? That’s not what I saw in your film.”  They resume the game, waiting for late Mr. Consensus to bless them with his presence.  

33 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

Can you imagine Belichick playing rock-paper-scissors during an interview?

Yes.  I can also imagine him and Kraft bringing prostitutes to the interviews.

People talk about Lowie interfering, but this article suggests that it may have more to do with lack of confidence in Doug.

Because it seems they have confidence in Sirianni and Gannon to the point of allowing Gannon to choose all his assistants as a novice DC and for Howie to get Gannon two players he's worked with in the past to help install his defensive scheme. Given Gannon has no "pull," unlike Schwartz, it suggests that he's very persuasive.

I think it comes back to Sirianni's interview and his proverbial binder, he must have laid out his plans as a HC, how he'd conduct a rebuild, who he wanted to hire as coaches, etc.

And knowing what we know now, it wasn't to mentor Wentz but to develop Hurts - since they knew Wentz was gone. So he had a plan for that as well.

I suspect we'll see players drafted who are better fits than in the recent past, Gannon was a scout so he's probably better at communicating with scouts.

And Sirianni's knowledge of games like RPS means he's on top of every important detail. :smoke:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jonathan-gannon-listen-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-andy-weidl

Top 25 pick , imo

per pff

Elijah Moore caught 97% of catchable targets beyond the line of scrimmage in 2020.

Best among all WRs in College Football

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

We’re a rebuilding team and you want a 23 year old power RB at 37? I like him, but no. 

In 2023 he'd be in his 3rd season, and would give them the option of letting Sanders walk if he's too expensive to resign.

Whether it's Hurts or another QB, a solid running game is going to be a key to this offense, while I don't believe in 1st rd RBs, 2nd rd is not too early for someone who is a solid fit.

10 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Yes.  I can also imagine him and Kraft bringing prostitutes to the interviews.

That, sir, is a different issue altogether.

21 minutes ago, austinfan said:

They didn’t make it work with Brissett, though.  They spent $20M+ to replace him with Rivers, who was on the last year of his career.

2 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

That, sir, is a different issue altogether.

Sirianni explained the rock-paper-scissors very clearly (I thought) in the PC — he wants guys who are competitive, at all times in all things, so he instructed his coaches to come up with creative ways to gauge these prospects competitive levels.  He even pointed out Stoutland and Gannon were much better at it than he was; he used something as basic as rock-paper-scissors.

If you can get a prospect to argue, get mad, or charged up over a game of rock-paper-scissors, you will be able to tell that the guy is as competitive as F.  That’s what he was going for.  I’ve heard many stories about superstar athletes who bet, wager, compete on absolutely everything.

23 minutes ago, austinfan said:

People talk about Lowie interfering, but this article suggests that it may have more to do with lack of confidence in Doug.

Because it seems they have confidence in Sirianni and Gannon to the point of allowing Gannon to choose all his assistants as a novice DC and for Howie to get Gannon two players he's worked with in the past to help install his defensive scheme. Given Gannon has no "pull," unlike Schwartz, it suggests that he's very persuasive.

I think it comes back to Sirianni's interview and his proverbial binder, he must have laid out his plans as a HC, how he'd conduct a rebuild, who he wanted to hire as coaches, etc.

And knowing what we know now, it wasn't to mentor Wentz but to develop Hurts - since they knew Wentz was gone. So he had a plan for that as well.

I suspect we'll see players drafted who are better fits than in the recent past, Gannon was a scout so he's probably better at communicating with scouts.

And Sirianni's knowledge of games like RPS means he's on top of every important detail. :smoke:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jonathan-gannon-listen-nick-sirianni-howie-roseman-andy-weidl

A fluff piece by Reuben Frank -the same Reuben Frank that wanted Duce Staley to be the next head coach.

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Sirianni explained the rock-paper-scissors very clearly (I thought) in the PC — he wants guys who are competitive, at all times in all things, so he instructed his coaches to come up with creative ways to gauge these prospects competitive levels.  He even pointed out Stoutland and Gannon were much better at it than he was; he used something as basic as rock-paper-scissors.

If you can get a prospect to argue, get mad, or charged up over a game of rock-paper-scissors, you will be able to tell that the guy is as competitive as F.  That’s what he was going for.  I’ve heard many stories about superstar athletes who bet, wager, compete on absolutely everything.

Nice try , children play rps , it might just be me , but I would not gauge a prospects

competitiveness by a game of internet rps 

Cant wait for TATErgedon and Eagles twitter to blow up when they go Paye, Slater, or Vera-Tucker at 12. Surtain and Horn will both be gone and they arent going WR with a premium pick like 12, its not what they do.

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

I sincerely doubt he's doing that with anywhere near the level of seriousness that people believe. 

I bet Sirianni is the kind of guy that says "OK LETS DO BEST OUT OF 3!!!!" and then loses. Then says "OK LETS DO BEST OUT OF 5!!!!" Loses. "BEST OUT OF 7!!!!"

3 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

And I bet you're the type of guy who "probably has some kind of strip mall business in what ? Largo? "

Wow

Best Walter White You Got Me GIFs | Gfycat

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Wentz played like complete dogshit outside of the first 3-4 drives of the season. 

It's not true but whatever.   

Archived