EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Original Sin said:

Many other ways to keep them on their toes 

Right, like you could just ask them to stand on their toes and see how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Desertbirds said:

Can you imagine Belichick playing rock-paper-scissors during an interview?

Yes and cheating 

1 minute ago, Solomon said:

Right, like you could just ask them to stand on their toes and see how it goes. 

See who can do it the longest , now that is competition .

21 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

They didn’t make it work with Brissett, though.  They spent $20M+ to replace him with Rivers, who was on the last year of his career.

They scored 361 points with Brissett, then upgraded to Rivers and scored 451 points.

to put this in perspective, Houston with Watson has scored 402, 378, 384 the last three seasons.

I'd be overjoyed if we scored 360-380 points this season. First crawl, then walk, then run.

Last five seasons:  367, 457, 367, 385, 334. With Wentz.

Doug got enamoured with quick strike football, which as KC showed works if you have a big arm QB, a deep threat WR and a top pass blocking OL, not so much when the defense takes away your deep threat(s) and gets pressure on your QB.

Reich emphasizes what I call "chunk" offense, where you want to get 5+ yards per rush (setting up 2nd and 4, 3rd and 2) where you get to dictate to the defense, and 10-20 yard passes where you pick up 1st downs and matriculate the ball down the field. This type of offense controls games, and tires and frustrates defenses. You need to run enough, and to run effectively, 3 yards and a cloud of dust won't work in today's NFL. You don't need a stable of 4.3 WRs, you need guys who can run routes and have good hands.

Per pff 

Greg Newsome II allowed 0.44 yards per coverage snap in 2020

Lowest in the 2021 NFL Draft class

I don’t believe in drafting DBs  early , but he is one I would consider 

33 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Sirianni explained the rock-paper-scissors very clearly (I thought) in the PC — he wants guys who are competitive, at all times in all things, so he instructed his coaches to come up with creative ways to gauge these prospects competitive levels.  He even pointed out Stoutland and Gannon were much better at it than he was; he used something as basic as rock-paper-scissors.

If you can get a prospect to argue, get mad, or charged up over a game of rock-paper-scissors, you will be able to tell that the guy is as competitive as F.  That’s what he was going for.  I’ve heard many stories about superstar athletes who bet, wager, compete on absolutely everything.

https://www.businessinsider.com/michael-jordans-insane-competitiveness-2014-7#he-trashed-all-his-doubters-in-his-hall-of-fame-induction-speech-saying-of-former-bulls-gm-jerry-krause-i-dont-know-who-invited-him-i-didnt-2

39 minutes ago, Desertbirds said:

A fluff piece by Reuben Frank -the same Reuben Frank that wanted Duce Staley to be the next head coach.

Yeah, Roob has no real sources or insight into the organization. He can spin a yarn though. 

13 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Yes and cheating 

Belichick goes dynamite everytime.   

1 hour ago, austinfan said:

In 2023 he'd be in his 3rd season, and would give them the option of letting Sanders walk if he's too expensive to resign.

Whether it's Hurts or another QB, a solid running game is going to be a key to this offense, while I don't believe in 1st rd RBs, 2nd rd is not too early for someone who is a solid fit.

You don’t need to spend pick 37 on a RB to have a good running game. Build an elite line. Plug in RB later. 

43 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Sirianni explained the rock-paper-scissors very clearly (I thought) in the PC — he wants guys who are competitive, at all times in all things, so he instructed his coaches to come up with creative ways to gauge these prospects competitive levels.  He even pointed out Stoutland and Gannon were much better at it than he was; he used something as basic as rock-paper-scissors.

If you can get a prospect to argue, get mad, or charged up over a game of rock-paper-scissors, you will be able to tell that the guy is as competitive as F.  That’s what he was going for.  I’ve heard many stories about superstar athletes who bet, wager, compete on absolutely everything.

With zoom interviews there’s only so much you can do, the rock, paper, scissors thing isn’t a big deal.  As a person who is crap with any kind of strategy, after the 3rd loss I want to break the hands of the winner.  

46 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I don't think there was any misunderstanding as to what the head coach said he was trying to do, nor is there any doubt about the importance of competitiveness and the correlation between this trait and success.

The disconnect is just how insanely dumb the proposed "test" (over Zoom, no less) was and that the head coach of an NFL team thought it up by himself, and seemed to be proud of it.  If this is even part of a strategy to gauge competitiveness... I have no further words.  Off to a great start.

55 minutes ago, austinfan said:

One reason I'm optimistic about Hurts is that if Sirianni installs the Reich offense (with his wrinkles), it'll be a good situation for a young QB to gradually expand his game as he learns how to be a NFL QB. There will be real dump off options, the emphasis on the run game will make it hard for DCs to blitz and key on pressuring Hurts, and there will be targets at different levels. If you can make it work with Brissett, you can make it work with Hurts.

Combine that with a healthy OL with depth (if Brooks and Lane start, you'll have Mailata/Dillard, Driscoll and Herbig on the bench) and Hurts won't have to pass 50 times a game. He's not going to go from being a college spread QB to a NFL QB in one season. But Hurts is a hard worker, and the scheme isn't as demanding on a QB as most offenses.

The key will be picking up a power back in this draft, if Harris falls to #37 I can see the Eagles snatching him up or someone similar to pair with Sanders. With this OL, and two explosive RBs, life would become much easier for Hurts.

I am excited about a healthy OL with Hurts and a healthy Boobie with Scott in the correct role. Eagles really need a third back but I don’t know that he needs to be a Harris, Stevenson or even a Scott.  For example, Etienne or a Sermon would be fine.  Basically a 210+ RB.  Hurts is a real running threat. That creates 11 on 11. Think back to McNabb with Westbrook on draw screens, wheel routes etc.  Those will be open a lot.  LB sneaks a peak at Hurts taking eyes off Sanders or Scott + that third RB and 4.4 RBs are gone. Those short screens are like running plays.  

Boobie and Scott were killed by the OL injuries last year.  Scott is not a Boobie back up.  We need that third RB that can run between the tackles (Scott can run between the tackles but only with really good G play) and G/Cs that allow running between the Ts.  Herbig should at best be the number nine OL on this team. They really need quality OL drafts the next two years. 

I am all about BPA. There cannot be any more FOMO draft choices like Pumphrey or Miller, yes I recognize they were later round fourth round choices but both appeared to avoid BPA over deep RB and DE drafts that Howie was fearful of missing out on. There were better BPAs available. 

2 minutes ago, John_C said:

I don't think there was any misunderstanding as to what the head coach said he was trying to do, nor is there any doubt about the importance of competitiveness and the correlation between this trait and success.

The disconnect is just how insanely dumb the proposed "test" (over Zoom, no less) was and that the head coach of an NFL team thought it up by himself, and seemed to be proud of it.  If this is even part of a strategy to gauge competitiveness... I have no further words.  Off to a great start.

1.  There’s nothing dumb about it; it gauges competitiveness, just as he said

2.  He wasn’t ‘proud of it’; he pointed out immediately the other coaches were much better than he was at coming up with scenarios.

30 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

It's not true but whatever.   

When else did he play well? 

35 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

2021 draft saved

If I was a prospect, I would wave him off and insist on six feet of distance. 

10 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I am excited about a healthy OL with Hurts and a healthy Boobie with Scott in the correct role. Eagles really need a third back but I don’t know that he needs to be a Harris, Stevenson or even a Scott.  For example, Etienne or a Sermon would be fine.  Basically a 210+ RB.  Hurts is a real running threat. That creates 11 on 11. Think back to McNabb with Westbrook on draw screens, wheel routes etc.  Those will be open a lot.  LB sneaks a peak at Hurts taking eyes off Sanders or Scott + that third RB and 4.4 RBs are gone. Those short screens are like running plays.  

Boobie and Scott were killed by the OL injuries last year.  Scott is not a Boobie back up.  We need that third RB that can run between the tackles (Scott can run between the tackles but only with really good G play) and G/Cs that allow running between the Ts.  Herbig should at best be the number nine OL on this team. They really need quality OL drafts the next two years. 

I am all about BPA. There cannot be any more FOMO draft choices like Pumphrey or Miller, yes I recognize they were later round fourth round choices but both appeared to avoid BPA over deep RB and DE drafts that Howie was fearful of missing out on. There were better BPAs available. 

We’ll see with BPA this year, unless a team uses the excuse of off the field issues with Parsons, (has to be more than a fight and some hazing) he should be the first defender taken in the draft

https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Article/UVA-Pro-Day-Hasise-Dubois-makes-most-of-opportunity-to-shine-for-NFL-scouts-Virginia-Cavaliers-Football--163058659/

This was one of my sleepers from last year's draft.  I'm not sure why he never got a camp invite last year, but at least he got a pro day this year.  He'll probably end up in a camp this year.  Local kid.  Too bad the Eagles didn't give him a shot last year.   Couldn't have been any worse than keeping Alshon on the roster all year.

48 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I'd punch Him, ESP and Joe Giglio in the face and accept the charges. 

I truly cant stand them

You should ask them all to meet, challenge them to throw hands, and remember to bring the combat waivers.  Then let us all know what happens!  

Still not sure why not more love in this group for Kelvin Joseph.  Was a top recruit coming out of high school went to LSU then transferred to Kentucky... Ran a 4.34 at pro day and has the height speed you're looking for in a corner.  Would not be mad at all if he was the pick in 2nd round.  Had 4 picks in 9 games this year

46 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

If I was a prospect, I would wave him off and insist on six feet of distance. 

Absolutely. It would have to be the socially distant noncontact knuckle bump.

36 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

https://247sports.com/college/virginia/Article/UVA-Pro-Day-Hasise-Dubois-makes-most-of-opportunity-to-shine-for-NFL-scouts-Virginia-Cavaliers-Football--163058659/

This was one of my sleepers from last year's draft.  I'm not sure why he never got a camp invite last year, but at least he got a pro day this year.  He'll probably end up in a camp this year.  Local kid.  Too bad the Eagles didn't give him a shot last year.   Couldn't have been any worse than keeping Alshon on the roster all year.

Any team can sign him right now.

Archived