Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Lol seriously? He had 2 freaking catches with Hurts

Quit you're hating already

JJAW getting two catches felt like a Christmas miracle. 😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Meaning, "thank God I don't have to work with that weasel Howie anymore!!"

I said earlier, Doug should go "big balls" and destroy Howie to Lurie.  Rip him for bad drafting, contracts, being a snake no one wants to work with, etc.  Maybe at least it would make Lurie think about it.

7 minutes ago, judunno said:

Wait... you wouldn't want a greater pay grade and status? Really?

To be set up for failure and know that you are the next scapegoat? No.

Well, Doug is gone.  Howie is not totally blameless, though he is staying for the time being.  Lurie likes him and that has to be a factor how things turn out.

Other assistant coaches aren't safe either.  The new HC will usually bring in his own people.  Howie will become a factor on what kind of coach will be interested in this job.  An established coach may not like to have no say on personnel decisions.  A up-and-coming one may have more flexibility on that.

If Doug's plan to fix this team was to bring back Corey Undelin, promote Matt Burke, promote Press Taylor, etc...then I for one am GLAD he is outta here. Lurie probably fell out of his chair with anger and laughter if that was Doug's plan.

With that said, this team wasn't that good this year roster wise and had sooooooooo many injuries, so Doug was limited with what could be done. But he also seemed like jackarse all season long. Stubborn, unimaginative, boring, etc...he seemed miserable most of the year. He might be happy he can get outta here and start new elsewhere.

Just now, NOTW said:

I said earlier, Doug should go "big balls" and destroy Howie to Lurie.  Rip him for bad drafting, contracts, being a snake no one wants to work with, etc.  Maybe at least it would make Lurie think about it.

Normally I'd consider that totally unprofessional but it needs to happen badly. Just let it all out

11 minutes ago, vaff said:

JJaw actually made plays when he had a QB who was willing to throw him the ball.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I can see a ring of truth to that. He got tired of being a yes man and having a committee of 25 OC spies squealing on his every move. But Doug is not very bright, and his decision making got weirder and weirder as time went on. The Eagles and Doug NEEDED to part ways. Too bad Howie is still here.

Honestly firing Doug is a big deal, but I’m not upset it happened. I’m very disappointed Howie is still here and that’s far more impactful to me. I don’t have a lot of confidence in the 6th pick right now. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If they were going to fire Howie then that has to happen before Doug. The next GM is the one who should be making that choice. Honestly I do hope you’re right, but I just don’t see it. 

Does Howie have a plane ticket to Florida by any chance?  :lol:

You're right, but now if a new HC comes in maybe it will be exposed that Howie can't draft and has signed bad contracts.  If they have to purge talent to save cap and don't have money to buy temporary replacements from proven NFL players since Howie can't draft, maybe Lurie will start to see it.

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

RapSheet says Wentz wanted out if Doug returned.

Hmm.

If true then getting tired of this organization coddling to Wentz.  He didn't like Flip because he was a hard ass and had a really good relationship with Taylor.  But which coach did he play much better under?  Reports for some time now about the fractured relationship between he and Doug ... and now Doug gone.  He needs to take good long look in the mirror and realize he was a huge part of the problem.  

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Meaning, "thank God I don't have to work with that weasel Howie anymore!!"

Spot on. I think Doug could take a year off. 

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

Normally I'd consider that totally unprofessional but it needs to happen badly. Just let it all out

There's certainly a professional way to explain that you weren't set up for success by the GM.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

If they were going to fire Howie then that has to happen before Doug. The next GM is the one who should be making that choice. Honestly I do hope you’re right, but I just don’t see it. 

as we have seen, this organization doesn't follow the norm....maybe, we will get lucky.  If I had to choose, Doug would have been the 1st to go.  

Had to be.  Too many wacky things happening on Doug's watch.  Am sure Lurie did not want to sit through another year of frustration, not after this season.  

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Mailata looked better than we could have expected and there's hope there. Sanders can't be the lead back it seems and Goedert well he didn't exactly have this huge year despite Ertz fading away. 

Mailata is good. There’s more than "hope there”. He’s already good.

Sanders can’t be a lead back? Huh??

Goedert is plenty good.

Those are just three guys, though. The rest of the team is a mess. 

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

as we have seen, this organization doesn't follow the norm....maybe, we will get lucky.  If I had to choose, Doug would have been the 1st to go.  

Howie has to be the 1st to go. How can you hire a coach and then hire a GM? If anything Lurie should’ve dumped both of them at the same time. Howie’s going nowhere bud. 

Who would people want as the next hire?

Also have to replace a defensive coordinator which you'd think the hc might want input on.

kind of a big wholesale change except howie is still there? is howie gonna have input? lurie?

this is kind of a clusterfk

Just now, NOTW said:

469d7d2dbf968e1236111b1539284beb0c47e0bb

He was really smelling himself after that SB

Wonder what it'd be like if we didn't lose Frank. Would the brain trust still be good or would Doug have been too cocky

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Does Howie have a plane ticket to Florida by any chance?  :lol:

You're right, but now if a new HC comes in maybe it will be exposed that Howie can't draft and has signed bad contracts.  If they have to purge talent to save cap and don't have money to buy temporary replacements from proven NFL players since Howie can't draft, maybe Lurie will start to see it.

Chip Kelly kind of exposed the fact Howie can’t draft (Marcus Smith), but all that did was put Howie in the basement. He rose like a Phoenix and now with more power than ever. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Its disgraceful. Honestly I'm so disappointed by this for so many reasons. 

Unfortunately we live in a world where the good ones are casted off and the terrible remain. This is pretty sad though.  Howie got so much rank he untouchable.  Until the day he is either fired or walks away. Lurie must be the nicest or softest owner in the league.  GMs and coaches have been fired for a fraction of what Howie's done. Tired of it. 

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lurie is too loyal to Howie if you ask me. How does that guy keep screwing up, but getting chance after chance? 

He’s a weatherman deep beneath that suit!  Weather forecasters are the only job where you can make mistakes & still keep your job.  Listen to them when they announce the weather:” it’ll be a sunny day with a chance of rain, after that snow & ice flurries w/a mix of heavy winds...” you just said all the elements there , not taking any chances, eh

... on the other hand, more & more are reverting to sweet-n-sexy weather gals! 

8 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I can’t say Doug had a good year coaching either. He didn’t and was bad, but the fact Howie still has his job after his performance since his return is dubious. 

Oh agreed. Doug had a bad year for many reasons and hey I'm not saying he should have stayed. But the fact he's gone and Howie is still here? The biggest problem with this team. It is beyond moronic.

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If true then getting tired of this organization coddling to Wentz.  He didn't like Flip because he was a hard ass and had a really good relationship with Taylor.  But which coach did he play much better under?  Reports for some time now about the fractured relationship between he and Doug ... and now Doug gone.  He needs to take good long look in the mirror and realize he was a huge part of the problem.  

I think the next coach will be given an opportunity to pick his QB after next year. new coach can come in and say its an open QB competition. lets see how wentz responds to that. best QB wins the job and needs to keep it going throughout the season. I think if the next coach decides to move on from wentz, Lurie wouldn't say anything about it. 

6 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Lol seriously? He had 2 freaking catches with Hurts

Quit your hating already

He at least did something when a QB was willing to throw him the ball. He played one game with Hurts, and looked better than he did the entire time with Wentz. That points to Wentz being a problem.

Archived