Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

Just now, vsptroops said:

So the same guy that got then into cap hell is supposed to get them out of it? This isn't the early to mid 90's anymore. There are lots of capologists out there that can do better than Howie. Howie is there because he is bff's with the owner. Thats it. 

Precisely. What a joke that is. 

Just now, Uscg-green said:

This is Philly. That never happens. 

Honestly I can’t argue with that. 

1 minute ago, vsptroops said:

So the same guy that got then into cap hell is supposed to get them out of it? This isn't the early to mid 90's anymore. There are lots of capologists out there that can do better than Howie. Howie is there because he is bff's with the owner. Thats it. 

Really? After years of praise from pretty much everyone on his cap-wizardry now he sucks at this too? Come on..

10 minutes ago, judunno said:

Read what the sources are saying. Apparently he gave a lame presentation for how to improve the team and had a hissy fit about how much control he has.

Doug was in over his head as a head coach.  He had one thing going for him and that was that his players played hard for him - he was a good "leader of men".  His ability to assemble a staff stunk, questionable game day decisions, player development under him stunk.  I thank him for the Lombardi but not upset to see him go.    

I was so disgusted when reports of both Howie and Doug were staying last week. Why? It took all hope away that the owner would at least TRY to turn this joke around. Now, with the firing of Doug at least, I now regained interest and hope that something good can now happen in order for a turnaround to happen. I know for a fact Doug is pretty dull minded, and that if Lurie truly listened to Doug's "vision" of the future, he would easily say to himself "Oh, hell no!" and move on. Oh hell no wins the day. Thank you Doug (Frank, actually) for your part in the Super Bowl win, but it is time for change. That change will be good for you and for the Eagles- you BOTH need it. Thank you, Mr. Lurie- a very wise move by you.

If Lurie fires Howie, I will do a happy dance naked on Broad Street. No going to happen, but hey.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean unfortunately that's the way he's been treated here isn't it. I actually really feel sorry for the guy. I'm not saying this is the wrong decision but if you're Doug what must you be thinking right now. 

"I won a Super Bowl with a backup QB.  I will definitely get another head coaching job."   

Howie should've gone first.

But it sounds like Doug was adamant in not making major changes in his coaching staff. Promoting Press to be OC? Everyone has been criticizing the lack of innovation in plays and was clamoring for a fresh face to spark the play calling. Doug didn't want to make that drastic a change and I guess that's the main issue. Too bad it won't make a difference unless Howie goes.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What i mean is... He must look at this and think "how is it that I'm fired but that weasel remains".

Even when Howie got fired he still found a way to stay in the building. What hold does that man have over Lurie? 

While Howie is still here at the moment, glad to see some common sense prevail. Thanks to Coach Pederson for the Super Bowl, but it just felt right to see him go. But still a big shame it came to it

1 minute ago, Moderator6 said:

"Part ways."

Screenshot_20210111-140549_Facebook.jpg

If Lurie is honest about doing what is best for the future of this organization, then he needs to can Howie too and start fresh with a new GM and new HC.

1 minute ago, UK Eagle said:

While Howie is still here at the moment, glad to see some common sense prevail. Thanks to Coach Pederson for the Super Bowl, but it just felt right to see him go. But still a big shame it came to it

Key point.   I'll be interested to see if he makes it.

15 minutes ago, Djkenny13 said:

I think the main reason Howie keeps his job is Bc of the Eagles Cap situation. Although they can roll money over from this year, who else can get them out of this situation? Thats a main reason I think he’s safe 

You mean the cap situation he created in the first place? Not for nothing, but the cap has been in place for decades now. The Eagles are no longer the best at knowing how to manipulate the cap. I’ll add Howie’s trashcan drafts have cause more issues to the cap than anything since the young guys aren’t good enough to continually help the football team and it forces them to keep paying older players and overpaying for free agents. 

Whole thing looks like a crap show.  I am not confident with Howie still there and it attracting good candidates with him and all their issues. Sigh.

8 minutes ago, Infam said:

If I remember correctly, Goedert was our highest rated player by PFF.. And Sanders could be a perfect lightning to whomever we find that is the thunder..

Goedert missed most of the year with an injury and was not the same player when he came back. This is not a promising picture.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

You mean the cap situation he created in the first place? Not for nothing, but the cap has been in place for decades now. The Eagles are no longer the best at knowing how to manipulate the cap. I’ll add Howie’s trashcan drafts have cause more issues to the cap than anything since the young guys aren’t good enough to continually help the football team and it forces them to keep paying older players and overpaying for free agents. 

Maybe he WAS great with the cap, but he's NEVER shown to be good at the draft.    

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Key point.   I'll be interested to see if he makes it.

Just make him a contracts guy. Let someone else get the talent. If he doesn't want that role Bye Felicia.

What HC will want a job where he can't hire his own staff.  Doug was seen as a yes man, and he had enough and didn't want to be told who he could hire on his staff.  

How can Lurie not like Doug's plan...but think what Howie's done with the roster has been good?

Just now, NOTW said:

Maybe, he should have shown that he didn't need that to the Owner.  Sorry, Doug.  You didn't hold up your end of the bargain either.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

See. He’s already smarter than I thought. Created a cap situation knowing he couldn’t be fired for his failure. Genius 

Just now, time2rock said:

If Lurie is honest about doing what is best for the future of this organization, then he needs to can Howie too and start fresh with a new GM and new HC.

1000%  I mean get a new GM and let the new GM pick his coach.  How can Lurie make those comments and still keep Howie who has drafted 1 pro bowl player for one season ever.  Its just does not make sense to me if Howie stays.

Archived