Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Not shocked by this, and that is why the Eagles next coach will also be nothing more than another yesman until he gets fired or gets tired of being told what to do.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

You mean the cap situation he created in the first place? Not for nothing, but the cap has been in place for decades now. The Eagles are no longer the best at knowing how to manipulate the cap. I’ll add Howie’s trashcan drafts have cause more issues to the cap than anything since the young guys aren’t good enough to continually help the football team and it forces them to keep paying older players and overpaying for free agents. 

Its almost like some people think that we are still living in the early Reid/Banner years where the Eagles were always getting compliments on their cap management. Get any young CPA right out of college and they could do a better job than Howie.

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I can see a ring of truth to that. He got tired of being a yes man and having a committee of 25 OC spies squealing on his every move. But Doug is not very bright, and his decision making got weirder and weirder as time went on. The Eagles and Doug NEEDED to part ways. Too bad Howie is still here.

Not sure if this is all on Doug, but it is clear the organization needs be better at talent evaluation, talent selection, player development, game planning to player strengths, and half-time adjustments. if letting Doug go takes a step to improve any of those areas, then it was the right move. If, however, it is a sign of external intrusive meddling by the owner and GM, then we are no better off than WFT or Dallas. 

1 minute ago, Djkenny13 said:

See. He’s already smarter than I thought. Created a cap situation knowing he couldn’t be fired for his failure. Genius 

Like Asante Samuel said years ago about Howie. They’re spending Lurie’s money like it’s Monopoly money. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Not shocked by this, and that is why the Eagles next coach will also be nothing more than another yesman until he gets fired or gets tired of being told what to do.

Other than Doug, have the Eagles ever used that tendency before with coaching choices?   I think Doug being 4th or 5th deep on their list caused that.  I can't imagine that they repeat that.

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Yup its amazing and Scary that a non football bean counter has outlasted so many guys with so more much experience In football and the NFL. 

I've never really liked howie, even after 2017 I slept with one eyed open cuz snakes don't change their scales, well, except when they shed their skin but underneath they're still snakes.

Howie is a snake apparently a durable one.

I have felt the same way about Roseman.        While giving him credit for 2017 when every move turned to gold, I said even then that his methods would never be conducive to long term success.           The man has never rebuilt a broken organization, and is clearly in way over his head.             Funny that the only people who don't see this are certain members of the national media and Jeff Lurie.

11 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

"I won a Super Bowl with a backup QB.  I will definitely get another head coaching job."   

"I won a Super Bowl with a backup QB.  I will definitely get another head coaching job."

"Frank Reich a Super Bowl with a backup QB.  I guess I will get another head coaching job."

Don't get mad at me- I am just doing some humor here, even though it's true.

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

We all have bosses. If someone signs your check you should be prepared for them to tell you what to do. 

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Other than Doug, have the Eagles ever used that tendency before with coaching choices?   I think Doug being 4th or 5th deep on their list caused that.  I can't imagine that they repeat that.

Things changed big time after Chip Kelly, and in a way the SB might have made things worse. Now this GM and owner think they can win with any coach. I don’t see any good coach wanting to come into this situation where he has no real power. 

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

What HC will want a job where he can't hire his own staff.  Doug was seen as a yes man, and he had enough and didn't want to be told who he could hire on his staff.  

How can Lurie not like Doug's plan...but think what Howie's done with the roster has been good?

Given that there are only a handful of teams hiring there's always someone that wants a bump in pay and status 🙂 That's how we got Doug in the first place.

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Even when Howie got fired he still found a way to stay in the building. What hold does that man have over Lurie? 

He's got some dodgy pictures for sure. 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

RapSheet says Wentz wanted out if Doug returned.

Hmm.

At least we get to keep Wentz. Some won't like that but he's the best choice. Hopefully he will regain himself next season. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Things changed big time after Chip Kelly, and in a way the SB might have made things worse. Now this GM and owner think they can win with any coach. I don’t see any good coach wanting to come into this situation where he has no real power. 

It's going to be interesting to see.  I don't see them repeating that structure and having some good candidates to choose from either.  We will see.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

We all have bosses. If someone signs your check you should be prepared for them to tell you what to do. 

Sure we all have bosses, but we also have options. We can choose not to work in an oppressive situation especially if we have the power to choose we’re we want to go. Do you think for a moment Belicheat would work under Howie Roseman? 

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Between that and having to work with a guy like Howie as your GM I can only imagine the pool of respectable candidates for the job is going to be quite small.  

Just now, NOTW said:

I think most coaches in the building could sense that crap was hitting the fan. Why do you think Schwartz walked away, luckily his contract helped his situation. I will say that the players did fight hard but I also think Doug doing the Sudfeld thing was a Dougy moment that just didn’t make sense and exposed who Doug can be when he does thinking on his own. 

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

If you love him so much why didn't you actually try this year instead of having a contract hissy?

8 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

I hope Lurie is on the phone with Jim Caldwell as we type.....

He is reportedly close to signing with Houston.

So basically Lurie and Howie have turned into Jerry the owner and Jerry the GM.  The owner cannot fire the GM.  The difference, Jerry the GM has a much better draft record than Howie.,

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's going to be interesting to see.  I don't see them repeating that structure and having some good candidates to choose from.  We will see.

The fact they didn’t move on from Howie to me feels like they already failed. 

Archived