2nd Eagles HC Poll and Discussion Thread

Outlaw

Eagles New HC  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want out of who is left?

• Joe Brady
    • Duce Staley
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Matt Eberflus
    • Brandon Staley
    • Brian Daboll
    • Ryan Day
    • Jerod Mayo
    • Josh McDaniels
    • Mike Kafka
    • Todd Bowles
    • Kellen Moore
    • Other (please post name)

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Wow. Didn't expect that!

Convenient for him. He doesn’t have to move anywhere. 

3 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

It is what it is. Jeff is not selling, Howie is not being fired, and the older overpriced roster is what we got. I guess the only bright thing we can look forward to is another high draft pick next year and probably the year after.

I’ll give Howie some credit. He has done fairly well in the earlier picks of the draft. Hopefully he can pick another gem at six.

4 hours ago, stinkfist said:

The one that has the greatest chance of kicking Carson Wentz in his vajayjay.

That would probably be Josh McDaniels. 

It's a bit of a risky move considering how he fared as a HC/GM in Denver and how he indirectly screwed us over when backing out of the Colts job, but he wouldn't coddle Wentz based on how he dealt with Tom Brady.

We have no idea if Joe Brady or Brian Daboll would do the same. My guess is that Brady would probably be more of a "players coach" given his age and less of an "old-school disciplinarian" type.

It amazes me that anyone would want McDaniels between his previous failed HC stint, and him backing out of the Colts job a couple years ago. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m just surprised they went with a defensive guy when they have a young potential star QB to develop. Thought for sure Daboll would be their guy. 

22 minutes ago, nipples said:

It amazes me that anyone would want McDaniels between his previous failed HC stint, and him backing out of the Colts job a couple years ago. 

Maybe second time's the charm. Bill Belicheck wasnt good during his first coaching gig either. 

I wonder if he would bring in Matt patricia as the dc. 

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I'm sure that was a huge factor for him.

25 minutes ago, nipples said:

Dude, he had a malcontent Cutler and then Kyle Orton.  And the Colts thing...yeah it F'd us with Reich, but you don't discount a 6x SB champion resume because of feelings from 4 years ago.  He's a far better option than Duce, Kafka or Bienemy IMO. People on the whole, learn more from failure than success.  And he's bent the knee at the throne of Belichick for quite a while. And if it only works for 2-3 years, that's how long it's going to take for us to be truly competitive again anyway...

Eagles interviewing Bowles today:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/18/report-todd-bowles-interviewing-with-eagles-monday/

25 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’m just surprised they went with a defensive guy when they have a young potential star QB to develop. Thought for sure Daboll would be their guy. 

Ditto. He better get a good OC and hope he sticks around for a few seasons. 

57 minutes ago, nipples said:

All depends on the staff he' brings with him.  If we've learned anything since Reich left, it's that a HC is only as good as the people he surrounds himself with.  

47 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I'm sure that was a huge factor for him.

Dude, he had a malcontent Cutler and then Kyle Orton.  And the Colts thing...yeah it F'd us with Reich, but you don't discount a 6x SB champion resume because of feelings from 4 years ago.  He's a far better option than Duce, Kafka or Bienemy IMO. People on the whole, learn more from failure than success.  And he's bent the knee at the throne of Belichick for quite a while. And if it only works for 2-3 years, that's how long it's going to take for us to be truly competitive again anyway...

Eagles interviewing Bowles today:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/18/report-todd-bowles-interviewing-with-eagles-monday/

Ok and here’s my hot take... are we sure Belechick is even that great, or did Brady carry him all those years? We’ll see over the next few seasons how they do, but year one without Brady they didn’t even make the playoffs. If the fall back into mediocrity over the next few seasons I think that says a whole lot about who was responsible for their run. 

30 minutes ago, nipples said:

Ok and here’s my hot take... are we sure Belechick is even that great, or did Brady carry him all those years? We’ll see over the next few seasons how they do, but year one without Brady they didn’t even make the playoffs. If the fall back into mediocrity over the next few seasons I think that says a whole lot about who was responsible for their run. 

when you have cam newton way past his prime as your QB its hard to be good. they have to find a QB who can actually throw and they would be fine. We've seen them with garapalo.

i'm also trying to compare bowles or mcdaniels. i'm leaning mcdaniels but i'm asking myself why. 

Bowles Coaching History

image.png.4a4421b50c74d81b0b0aa2a1178f5882.png

Mcdaniels coaching History

image.png.a8bbe8299fcddb8f32828e9e3d7a5d30.png

I guess you have a larger sample with Bowles than McDaniels. I also don't know all the situation with Bowles at the Jets. I think he had Geno Smith at QB during most of those years.

i mean with mcdaniels, you already have howie taking up the sh!tty gm role...  so that's one less job mcdaniels can screw up on this team.  and as other have pointed out, mcdaniels could be the one to kick wentz in the vajayjay if nothing else.  if he completely implodes again, at least with get a few high draft picks that howie can then turn into horrible decisions that will go down in eagles' lore.

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

If McDaniel's wasn't with the Patriots the past 10 years, most of his detractors in here would have different opinions.  Rather ignorant really.  He's definitely most qualified candidate available.  

I think at minimum he wouldn't put up with Wentz's ish.  That's a big plus in my book.  Lurie is definitely kicking every can available though, so I think we'll know this week who his choice is.

14 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yeah.  Because a coach can't grow in 10 years.  :wacko:

Can, but don’t always. I’d rather see a first time head coach with potential, or a proven successful head coach. Just have no interest in rolling the dice on a guy who sucked once as a HC and hoping he’s improved. 

12 minutes ago, nipples said:

Can, but don’t always. I’d rather see a first time head coach with potential, or a proven successful head coach. Just have no interest in rolling the dice on a guy who sucked once as a HC and hoping he’s improved. 

Look Daboll is my pick. But he probably doesn’t wanna deal with this debacle. Brady is intriguing but I think Wentz isn’t gonna listen to him. 

The Eagles have essentially committed themselves to Howie. So any coach with aspirations to have a big say in personnel, or be in charge of his own FO, isn't going to want the job. I don't think an experienced coach looking to move up will want it. So I think they're looking for a young guy that doesn't have a huge entourage following him through the door. Somebody just looking for experience. Who will fit in the organization, is content simply coaching the team, leaving personnel decisions to others.

At this point, I'm like just hire Duce. The players like him. He knows the organization. He's been faithfully serving on the sidelines how long? Since before DP. If they're not going to promote him now, then when? The downside is the team isn't expected to compete until they turnover the roster. He may only be the stopgap until the next hotshot coach comes along. Then Duce gets a few lousy years on his resume, ruining his chances for any further coaching jobs. And who do they find to fill the other coaching vacancies?

So McDaniels spent much of Sunday interviewing with the Eagles:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-josh-mcdaniels-interview-eagles-135627116.html

That tells me there is serious interest in him and this wasn't just a going through the motions type of meeting. However I'm not ruling out that it was  just convenient to stick around and watch some of the playoff action. I do think McDaniels may be willing to leave NE after this past season. Stretching things here but wouldn't it be interesting if this turns out to be a package deal where we land McDaniels as HC and Mayo as DC????? I think this report lowers the odds of Duce getting the job for now.

17 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

So McDaniels spent much of Sunday interviewing with the Eagles:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-josh-mcdaniels-interview-eagles-135627116.html

That tells me there is serious interest in him and this wasn't just a going through the motions type of meeting. However I'm not ruling out that it was  just convenient to stick around and watch some of the playoff action. I do think McDaniels may be willing to leave NE after this past season. Stretching things here but wouldn't it be interesting if this turns out to be a package deal where we land McDaniels as HC and Mayo as DC????? I think this report lowers the odds of Duce getting the job for now.

Pretty sure that’s kind of par for the course for Eagles coaching interviews. 

12 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I know this may sound nuts. It took me a little while to get past the history. But I think Tony Romo would be a good OC. The way he breaks down the defense and what the offense is about to do or should do on the fly is pretty impressive. Like him or hate him, dude is easily right 85% of the time. 

He's not taking that huge of a pay cut to come out the booth. Football broadcaster is the sweetest gig out there lol. 

7 minutes ago, EaglesFan1234 said:

Multiple signs seems to be pointing to Josh McDaniels as the Eagles’ next head coach (msn.com)

I am done with the Eagles until McDaniels is fired if he is officially hired 

from your article..this is the strongest "source" of their claim.

• McDaniels has links to Jeffrey Lurie and Howie Roseman. Lurie is a Boston native and has always been fond of the Patriots. Lurie also curiously referred to McDaniels on a first-name basis during his post-Doug Pederson firing press conference. Context:

"We didn’t know we were going to lose Frank Reich but suddenly it happened when Josh turned that job down and set off a whole — so you have to be aware.”

Chill out. Besides doesn't matter who the HC is...give them a chance 2 - 3 yrs and let see where things go.

Archived