Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as Head Coach (Colts OC)

Portyansky

I don't think it was a great start to his Eagles career to be honest. Does it matter how he comes across in front of the press etc? No it doesn't, not one bit. Doug was hopeless at the podium but that didn't stop him winning the SB. But I was far from convinced by Sirianni yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

That the best you got? Weak. The dude was clearly reading from prepared notes, not speaking off the cuff. Andy and Doug weren’t exactly professional orators either.  I don’t give a F. He was hired to coach, not give dissertations. 

Yeah not to mention he was walking on eggshells because Howie and Jeff gave him a laundry list of things he could and couldn't talk about, how to talk about each thing, how to lie to cover whatever agenda those two have up their sleeves. I'm sure his head was spinning trying to remember everything.

The guy is in a tough spot. I'm just hoping all these distractions and front office BS doesn't take away from his real job. As long as he focuses on the job of game prep and coaching that's all you can ask. I couldn't give two Fs how his PC's go honestly. Half the questions coming from reporters are stupid and ridiculous anyway. For example "who is your starting QB going to be??". Why would he answer such a dumb question at his very first PC, in January, given all the turmoil surrounding the QB situation here? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it was a great start to his Eagles career to be honest. Does it matter how he comes across in front of the press etc? No it doesn't, not one bit. Doug was hopeless at the podium but that didn't stop him winning the SB. But I was far from convinced by Sirianni yesterday. 

If you’re convinced about a head coach after one press conference though then that’s your issue with how you want to evaluate them. Although to be fair you did preface that with the fact that his media personality means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I have a feeling he’ll get better in front of the mic. I do multiple sales pitches / presentations a month. Typically I perform fine in front of an audience, but every now and again (especially if I’m nervous for whatever reason) I stumble over my words and struggle. It doesn’t mean I’m bad at it, it means I’m human. I find it hilarious that everyone wants to mock and criticise when there’s a high chance they would literally crap their pants if put in the same position.

• Like 1

I am listening to his press conference now. I worked in marketing out of college as a recruiter. Did group interviews and trainings every week. Gave speeches in front of anywhere from 500 to 1,000 at Division Conferences to 5,000 at Regional Conferences. I was very good at it. Had zero issue with it later in other sales jobs. Got a presenting trophy (who gives a crap) coming out of Xerox's then heralded training program in Reston, VA. (I'm making light of how big of a deal it was as they thought it was and other sales companies did back in the day)

My point is, I couldn't coach an NFL team worth a crap. 🤣

He's just very nervous. He's repeating himself a lot. You can see he's overly excited and his fight or flight is kicking in. He will get better. 

I'm much more concerned with how he presents to players, which I'd imaging is dramatically different. 

Not saying people are wrong not to be impressed. I can certainly see how you'd want an NFL coach to give a better speech. I just don't personally care. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie has been here since 2000 and has survived 3 coaching changes. I don’t think there is any end in sight for Howie. 

Yes but i think both AR and Chip had quite a bit of say in personnel. And looks like with Doug, Lurie took a more hands on approach even in draft. I think Lurie needs to back away and let Howie succeed or fail on his own. 

5 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I am listening to his press conference now. I worked in marketing out of college as a recruiter. Did group interviews and trainings every week. Gave speeches in front of anywhere from 500 to 1,000 at Division Conferences to 5,000 at Regional Conferences. I was very good at it. Had zero issue with it later in other sales jobs. Got a presenting trophy (who gives a crap) coming out of Xerox's then heralded training program in Reston, VA. (I'm making light of how big of a deal it was as they thought it was and other sales companies did back in the day)

My point is, I couldn't coach an NFL team worth a crap. 🤣

He's just very nervous. He's repeating himself a lot. You can see he's overly excited and his fight or flight is kicking in. He will get better. 

I'm much more concerned with how he presents to players, which I'd imaging is dramatically different. 

Not saying people are wrong not to be impressed. I can certainly see how you'd want an NFL coach to give a better speech. I just don't personally care. 

He was much better in his interview with Dave which I posted yesterday. 

My concern is the players respecting him.

Hey remember when doug was hired and sounded like a babbling idiot in his first PC and everyone said it was a bad hire and he was a puppet and he sounded like he was in over his head.  And then he won a super bowl.  Those were good times.

Seriously everyone needs to stop with this crap.  Let the guy build his staff and judge him by what he does with the players and whether he wins.   As long as he wins, I don’t care if he couldn’t put two sentences together talking to the philly media.  Honestly the philly media probably wouldn’t comprehend anyone "smarter” than them...they have to play this game where they bring everything down to their stupidity level so they can win through experience.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I think the bigger issue is do the players respect Jeff and Howie right now?   There's always the issue of whether or not the players buy into a new HC. But, if the players don't buy into this coaching change/hire or how management is handling the QB situation among other things, then Sirianni will have a nearly impossible job to win them over.  I do find it interesting how many players did not come out and express a lot of gratitude towards Doug on social media after he was fired. To my knowledge, only a couple of players did. So, it seems like the players were open to a coaching change. The only thing is it sounds like a lot of players wanted Duce to be promoted, at least that is what was portrayed in the media.

8 hours ago, Muz86 said:

If you’re convinced about a head coach after one press conference though then that’s your issue with how you want to evaluate them. Although to be fair you did preface that with the fact that his media personality means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not saying a HC can convince me after one press conference. Just like I'm not saying I can be put off a HC after one press conference either. But I'd prefer to come away with a good positive feeling that's all. 

Of course he'll be calling plays for the first time in his pro career. Some things never change. Another 1st time HC who missed out on the "fun" part of being an OC, calling plays on Sunday. I suspect he'll get so wrapped up in that "fun" part that he will neglect other areas of responsibility. Maybe he won't. Maybe he finds a way to juggle it all. This is what happens when you promote a guy too fast. He want to do the jobs of his assistants too, which is stupid. I hope it all works out smoothly, but the trap is set so he needs to be careful. 

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Of course he'll be calling plays for the first time in his pro career. Some things never change. Another 1st time HC who missed out on the "fun" part of being an OC, calling plays on Sunday. I suspect he'll get so wrapped up in that "fun" part that he will neglect other areas of responsibility. Maybe he won't. Maybe he finds a way to juggle it all. This is what happens when you promote a guy too fast. He want to do the jobs of his assistants too, which is stupid. I hope it all works out smoothly, but the trap is set so he needs to be careful. 

That’s the advantage of a CEO type head coach, not necessarily Duce but a coach that delegates and he runs the team, doesn’t call plays on either side of the ball.  Obviously the disadvantage is the OC and DC being successful, and teams poaching them to be their coach. 

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Spuds probably slipped him the questions before the interview.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jblah said:

Yes but i think both AR and Chip had quite a bit of say in personnel. And looks like with Doug, Lurie took a more hands on approach even in draft. I think Lurie needs to back away and let Howie succeed or fail on his own. 

Quite nice how Howie gives himself just enough slack for people to excuse his failures away. Any other organization would have fired him years ago. 

35 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

He was definitely more prepared for that, and Spuds wasn’t as hard hitting as the Philly media was. He better get used to it, because they aren’t going to hold back on him. 

1 hour ago, Thing3 said:

No doubt. But some were the same as the PC, Dave was prepping him knowing what they would ask. Carson/QB situation etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DBW said:

Hey remember when doug was hired and sounded like a babbling idiot in his first PC and everyone said it was a bad hire and he was a puppet and he sounded like he was in over his head.  And then he won a super bowl.  Those were good times.

Seriously everyone needs to stop with this crap.  Let the guy build his staff and judge him by what he does with the players and whether he wins.   As long as he wins, I don’t care if he couldn’t put two sentences together talking to the philly media.  Honestly the philly media probably wouldn’t comprehend anyone "smarter” than them...they have to play this game where they bring everything down to their stupidity level so they can win through experience.  

I haven’t watched the full interview yet, and I don’t even plan to. I did watch his interview with Spuds with way more softball questions. The bottom line to all of this is what happens in the games. As long as he wins he will be fine. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I haven’t watched the full interview yet, and I don’t even plan to. I did watch his interview with Spuds with way more softball questions. The bottom line to all of this is what happens in the games. As long as he wins he will be fine. 

I haven’t listened to it either.  Don’t need to.  Wouldn’t have mattered if they hired Carson’s dad as the coach, there wasn’t any other answer the media was gonna get than "I haven’t decided yet.”  The philly media was just hoping for that question to be controversial and it was so they’re running with it.  No matter what he said, it was gonna start a media crap storm.  If he said carson is the starter it’s "he’s a puppet because lurie wants Carson” and if he said we’re moving on, it’s "Howie drafted hurts for a reason and he’s just a puppet” and if he says it’s a competition then "he’s a puppet because he doesn’t get to make that decision”.  There was no way he was gonna get a warm welcome.  Philly media wanted duce. Because, yeah he wouldn’t have been a puppet.  🙄

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DBW said:

I haven’t listened to it either.  Don’t need to.  Wouldn’t have mattered if they hired Carson’s dad as the coach, there wasn’t any other answer the media was gonna get than "I haven’t decided yet.”  The philly media was just hoping for that question to be controversial and it was so they’re running with it.  No matter what he said, it was gonna start a media crap storm.  If he said carson is the starter it’s "he’s a puppet because lurie wants Carson” and if he said we’re moving on, it’s "Howie drafted hurts for a reason and he’s just a puppet” and if he says it’s a competition then "he’s a puppet because he doesn’t get to make that decision”.  There was no way he was gonna get a warm welcome.  Philly media wanted duce. Because, yeah he wouldn’t have been a puppet.  🙄

Uncommitted to anything right now is the best he can do. For all he knows Howie could trade away one or both of these quarterbacks and go and draft one with the 6th pick or trade up to get one he really likes. There is no way he can legit answer that question. I personally think he’s here, because Howie and Jeff think he’s a controllable asset. They thought the same about Doug too... until he wasn’t anymore. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Outlaw said:

That the best you got? Weak. The dude was clearly reading from prepared notes, not speaking off the cuff. Andy and Doug weren’t exactly professional orators either.  I don’t give a F. He was hired to coach, not give dissertations. 

All of the ones you listed, other than Bill B (cause he IS the GM) are at worst a collaborative effort, even from the very text of the articles you shared. And no, sorry I think giving a guy with zero HC experience 100% control of the 53 would be moronic. 

So, to be clear, you said no other teams give anyone other than GM total control of roster.  So which is it?  And the other ones listed are on the record as stating HC has final say.  Not a collaborative effort.  Stop speaking out of your ass.

30 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

So, to be clear, you said no other teams give anyone other than GM total control of roster.  So which is it?  And the other ones listed are on the record as stating HC has final say.  Not a collaborative effort.  Stop speaking out of your ass.

You’re misquoting me. Feel free to go back and read. Nowhere did I say no other teams give anyone other than GM total control of the roster. I said there are no other teams where the GM doesn’t have any roster control. The word total was never typed. Also read the actual links you posted. Neither state that the GMs don’t have any input. Feel free to keep swinging off deez nuts. 

When Chip Kelly was hired he said all the right things and hit all the right notes to get the fan base tingling with excitement. When Doug was hired he kind of sounded like nice fool. One of these guys won a Super Bowl and the other did not. I don’t care about his pressers. I care about the results. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 2:54 PM, EagleVA said:

I know, it's sad.

If Howie doesn't improve I may have to start following another team, the incompetence without improvement gets old after awhile.......he's had long enough and still screw-up every draft in the early rounds when the talent is most abundant.    

image.gif.2b4b6d953ddc1e36cfda6f9afbd1311c.gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Outlaw said:

You’re misquoting me. Feel free to go back and read. Nowhere did I say no other teams give anyone other than GM total control of the roster. I said there are no other teams where the GM doesn’t have any roster control. The word total was never typed. Also read the actual links you posted. Neither state that the GMs don’t have any input. Feel free to keep swinging off deez nuts. 

You’re a fraud.  You are now trying to backtrack. So you’ve now retreated to "some input”.  The point initially being that you implied zero teams give coaches final say, to  a point now that you have strayed completely away from your original assertion to some irrelevant point that you said GM’s have some degree of input:  All of the meandering because you got caught stone cold with a stupid statement.  Just own that you were wrong and I was right.  And let’s see if you can even respond to this post without stooping to some juvenile response as you have yet to do so.  I am going to guess you are a millennial. 

3 hours ago, VeeMak said:

You’re a fraud.  You are now trying to backtrack. So you’ve now retreated to "some input”.  The point initially being that you implied zero teams give coaches final say, to  a point now that you have strayed completely away from your original assertion to some irrelevant point that you said GM’s have some degree of input:  All of the meandering because you got caught stone cold with a stupid statement.  Just own that you were wrong and I was right.  And let’s see if you can even respond to this post without stooping to some juvenile response as you have yet to do so.  I am going to guess you are a millennial. 

I’m going to guess you’re a **** canoe. 😆  Now you’re going with what I "implied.” Not my fault you can’t read bro. 

33 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I’m going to guess you’re a **** canoe. 😆  Now you’re going with what I "implied.” Not my fault you can’t read bro. 

Intelligent response "bro”.  Implication’s  root word is implicit, you cretin.  You were implicit in your statement.