Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as Head Coach (Colts OC)

Portyansky

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that's the million $ question isn't it. I think there will be one or two teams with very serious interest in Wentz. That doesn't mean he will get traded but I can see at least two teams having very serious interest. Colts and Pats spring to mind. 

I think I ready Desean Watson has like a 40 mil cap hit and a no trade like clause. Nevertheless he wants to be traded. That’s what some don’t get. Just cause they want their love to stay doesn’t mean he wants to stay. He won’t be getting the assurances that the Eagles are his team and only his team and he’s allowed to stink it up with impunity. What does it matter if the Eagles are paying Wentz to stink or the bench or paying him to be someone else’s problem? One way the Eagles are out from under that crap contract by 2021. The other they’re stuck with him a lot longer. The Wentz apologists better wake up. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

He won’t be getting the assurances that the Eagles are his team and only his team and he’s allowed to stink it up with impunity.

We don't know that. We don't know what he's being told. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We don't know that. We don't know what he's being told. 

If players were saying last year Carson needs to be benched there’s no chance anyone would stand for him stinking up the joint in practices and games. If Wentz tells them he’s not interested in running certain plays, or is changing plays at the line arbitrarily the coach better stop him or he will lose this football team. 

I didn't come away impressed at all with Sirianni. It's a PC and has nothing to do with whether or not he will be good coach. That being said, I was hoping to be wowed the way the Eagles supposedly were with his interview and he came off as a poor public speaker who was incredibly nervous.

I do want to say one thing though in his defense. I am seeing a bunch of people getting on his case for not naming a starting QB and that couldn't be more ridiculous for a multitude of reasons. Some people just look for things to nit pick at and it gets old.

• Like 1

So what if he did name a starter, then in camp and preseason the other guy emerges.  Carson wasn't supposed to start his rookie year either, they said they planned to sit him a year to learn.  Things change.  And there's really no point in declaring anything this early when he's barely been in the building, hasn't had a chance to meet with all the players, hasn't reviewed their film, etc.

Plus Howie will be cutting guys as cap casualties, there might be trades, new FA acquisitions and there will be new draft picks.  Way too many questions and decisions to come.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So what if he did name a starter, then in camp and preseason the other guy emerges.  Carson wasn't supposed to start his rookie year either, they said they planned to sit him a year to learn.  Things change.  And there's really no point in declaring anything this early when he's barely been in the building, hasn't had a chance to meet with all the players, hasn't reviewed their film, etc.

Plus Howie will be cutting guys as cap casualties, there might be trades, new FA acquisitions and there will be new draft picks.  Way too many questions and decisions to come.  

And were back at judging a coach off of their press conferences again lol. Never ends

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And were back at judging a coach off of their press conferences again lol. Never ends

At least he didn't say "Gosh" in being excited, man THAT would have shown he's not a leader of men!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

At least he didn't say "Gosh" in being excited, man THAT would have shown he's not a leader of men!

Oh good gravy you are correct you suffering succotash lol

Yeah, we won't know what he is made of until he is tested in games. I think player development was underwhelming under Doug, aside from Stoutland. It sounds like the new staff is going to be focused more on player development and teaching. All teams theoretically have access to the same level of talent. Making a player better is one of the key ways to have an advantage over the next team. It was a key part of the Pats run. They coach very well.

Now if we can just get Howie to take a first round talent in the first round instead of getting cute and reaching based on potential.

21 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Oh good gravy you are correct you suffering succotash lol

Who are you Roman Reigns? 

6 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Had to turn off the press conference.  Sirianni maybe the worst in a presser we’ve ever heard.  I hope his meetings aren’t as brutal as his pressers.  

Dude, with all due respect...STFU. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The fact he couldn’t even commit to Wentz being on the team and he said Howie has control of the 53 makes it clear he has no control over the roster other than who plays on game day. That’s probably until Howie forces him to play Jason Peters again. 

What NFL team do you know of that the GM doesn’t have roster control?

4 hours ago, Birdman said:

Of course he isn't, because he has no say in the matter. 

Howie is in complete control of the roster and Lurie is going to back him up every step of the way....sad times to be an Eagles fan. 

Again...what team isn’t setup that way?  The GM controls the roster. Period. 

4 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I know, it's sad.

If Howie doesn't improve I may have to start following another team, the incompetence without improvement gets old after awhile.......he's had long enough and still screw-up every draft in the early rounds when the talent is most abundant.    

See ya. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Final cuts done by Howie? That doesn’t even make sense. He would absolutely make moves for financial reasons over football ones. Just feels like this dude is just here to coach. When asked about his offense he basically said he runs everything.... I guess he’s implying it’s adaptable, but is it just a case of Howie dictating what offense you will be allowed to run? We will see, but it already feels like this coach is well behind the power curve. 

Really? The coach in his first week has less power than the GM who has been here for over a decade?  Shocking. 

I havent listened to the PC yet, but I listed to Ike Reese and his group of morons in his show rant about it which basically tells me that it didn’t matter what sirianni said today they would have had the same response.  Like many in this thread. If it wasn’t duce they already had their "puppet” narrative written.  Think about it, do you think duce would have been any less of a puppet?  Don’t like the hire - he’s just a puppet. Just like when you Don’t like the president- oh he just a puppet.  Just gtfoh with all that crap.  I don’t want anyone of you morons coming back and saying how great he is and changing your narrative when they start winning.  

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Final cuts done by Howie? That doesn’t even make sense.

I thought he said he had the say on the final 53?

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Mrs. Sirianni!  Welcome to the boards.  You might want to help your son brush up on the English language a bit.  Maybe have him checked out for Tourette’s.  He tends to repeat himself repeat himself.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Carolina Panthers https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/22/matt-rhule-has-final-say-on-roster-but-thats-not-something-im-real-interested-in/

Las Vegas Raiders

https://www.nfl.com/news/mayock-jon-gruden-has-final-say-on-raiders-roster-0ap3000001008945

Seattle Seahawks 

New England Patriots

So on and so forth. 

12 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

Carolina and Las Vegas are doing great. And the Hawks and Pats? You mean where they are two extremely tenured SB winning coaches that also are the GM on paper?

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Carolina and Las Vegas are doing great. And the Hawks and Pats? You mean where they are two extremely tenured SB winning coaches that also are the GM on paper?

So, you implied that no other teams give final roster control to anyone other than GM.  Are you saying you were wrong?

I’m not sure where this narrative started that GM’s don’t make cuts, or set the roster.

It’s the GM’s that work with scouts in July and send them on their way till March to work with college coaches in that scouts particular region of the country, and they report to GM’s weekly throughout the year.  The only coaches that really have final say on their rosters are Ron Rivera, for whatever reason he was given a lot personnel control in Washington. Bill O’brien, fired, Jon Gruden does, Urban Meyer and the only guy that does both as a full time job because he lives, and breathes football 24/7, is Belichick.  Even though Belichick has a scouting director, the South Eastern US scout speaks to Belichick 3 times a week. I’m not sure how he even has time to sleep more than 3-4 hours per day.  If he wants a QB through FA, it’ll be one on the cheapest contract, that dude does not like spending Krafts money.

Other coaches have final say to a point that the GM agrees with the money being spent. 

If the coach has proven himself and he and the GM have reached an impasse roster wise, the owner will typically defer to the coach.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I thought he said he had the say on the final 53?

He said he has say on who plays week to week. Howie provides him with who those players will be. 

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Again...what team isn’t setup that way?  The GM controls the roster. Period. 

See ya. 

Really? The coach in his first week has less power than the GM who has been here for over a decade?  Shocking. 

No. Not too surprised the Eagles have a mailable coach they can control. Pretty sure I told you that would happen weeks ago. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No. Not too surprised the Eagles have a mailable coach they can control. Pretty sure I told you that would happen weeks ago. 

I think you mean malleable. And of course a business owner is going to want someone that is on board with their vision. 

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I think you mean malleable. And of course a business owner is going to want someone that is on board with their vision. 

More like a guy they can control. With that being the case I hope the guy can succeed even though Howie’s giving him JJAWs instead of DKs. 

50 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

More like a guy they can control. With that being the case I hope the guy can succeed even though Howie’s giving him JJAWs instead of DKs. 

The job of the coach is to make the players play to their potential. I have a feeling that if we are still having roster issues with lack of talent after this coaching hire, howie will be next to go. Hope I'm right. 

29 minutes ago, jblah said:

The job of the coach is to make the players play to their potential. I have a feeling that if we are still having roster issues with lack of talent after this coaching hire, howie will be next to go. Hope I'm right. 

Howie has been here since 2000 and has survived 3 coaching changes. I don’t think there is any end in sight for Howie. 

4 hours ago, VeeMak said:

Mrs. Sirianni!  Welcome to the boards.  You might want to help your son brush up on the English language a bit.  Maybe have him checked out for Tourette’s.  He tends to repeat himself repeat himself.

That the best you got? Weak. The dude was clearly reading from prepared notes, not speaking off the cuff. Andy and Doug weren’t exactly professional orators either.  I don’t give a F. He was hired to coach, not give dissertations. 

3 hours ago, VeeMak said:

So, you implied that no other teams give final roster control to anyone other than GM.  Are you saying you were wrong?

All of the ones you listed, other than Bill B (cause he IS the GM) are at worst a collaborative effort, even from the very text of the articles you shared. And no, sorry I think giving a guy with zero HC experience 100% control of the 53 would be moronic.