Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as Head Coach (Colts OC)

Portyansky

17 minutes ago, downundermike said:

So I will ask my question again, what do you think is an acceptable dead calf hit to move on from Carson Wentz?

Ill jump in here. If the team decides that Hurts is the direction or if Carson wants out then the full cap hit is acceptable. The reason being is if you keep Carson because you don’t want to waste money then you potentially waste football games and more cap space for future years. That 34 is spent regardless. If he isn’t the future then you have to cut your losses right now. Plus you gain whatever benefits he brings back in a trade. 

2 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

Ill jump in here. If the team decides that Hurts is the direction or if Carson wants out then the full cap hit is acceptable. The reason being is if you keep Carson because you don’t want to waste money then you potentially waste football games and more cap space for future years. That 34 is spent regardless. If he isn’t the future then you have to cut your losses right now. Plus you gain whatever benefits he brings back in a trade. 

And I say there is now way in hell Jeff Lurie would want to own the worst dead cap hit in NFL history.

Just now, downundermike said:

And I say there is now way in hell Jeff Lurie would want to own the worst dead cap hit in NFL history.

So you’re saying he would rather lose MORE money (at least 25 million) because of his pride? The mistake already happened. It’s just bad business.

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Italian?  That looks like an Irish jacket.

Needs to switch that blue jacket for s green one.

4 minutes ago, MillerTime said:

So you’re saying he would rather lose MORE money (at least 25 million) because of his pride? The mistake already happened. It’s just bad business.

Lurie is gonna bet on Doug and his predictable, stale, not knowing how to use players to their strengths offense being the problem.  

Carson has thrived in the NFL without Doug being the solo shot caller.

Good news, is we will have our answer March 20th when he is still on the roster.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

My question has nothing to do with future cap hits vs compensation.  You are the GM, what is a reasonable dead cap hit to trade a player.  Previous high dead cap hit for a traded player was 21.8 million.  Could YOU live with that dead cap hit ??  Is 25 million acceptable ??  Please, just give me a number YOU can live with.

Nobody but Howie can answer your question because there are a lot of variables in play. Your cap situation matters; next years cap situation matters; the compensation matters.

2 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Nobody but Howie can answer your question because there are a lot of variables in play. Your cap situation matters; next years cap situation matters; the compensation matters.

JHC, are you unable to just answer the question.  If you go to OTC you can see all that info and variables.  So I will give you the number so we can advance the conversation.

Let's say that Lurie is OK with matching the previous NFL high dead cap hit of 21.8 million.  That means Carson has to write the Eagles a check for 13 million dollars before the start of the league year on March 17th.  Do you think he has 13 million dollars just lying around ??

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

JHC, are you unable to just answer the question.  If you go to OTC you can see all that info and variables.  So I will give you the number so we can advance the conversation.

Let's say that Lurie is OK with matching the previous NFL high dead cap hit of 21.8 million.  That means Carson has to write the Eagles a check for 13 million dollars before the start of the league year on March 17th.  Do you think he has 13 million dollars just lying around ??

Again, how does $21.8mm cap hit work within our cap framework? Can we put a functional team together if we are in such a hole in addition to the hole we are already in? If so, then the rest is up to Carson - if he really wants to get traded then, and that’s literally the only way it works for us, don’t think he has a choice but to fork that cash over.

I find it hard to believe he would do that but he apparently really wants out so who knows?

18 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Again, how does $21.8mm cap hit work within our cap framework?

We are currently 53.5 million over the 2021 salary cap.  We would then be 40.5 million over the cap in this scenario.

I don't understand why you are making this so hard.  Have you not seen 1 discussion on this board about our cap situation and Carson Wentz cap hit ??

You keep trying to post these if, and or but statements when it is very black and white.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

We are currently 53.5 million over the 2021 salary cap.  We would then be 40.5 million over the cap in this scenario.

I don't understand why you are making this so hard.  Have you not seen 1 discussion on this board about our cap situation and Carson Wentz cap hit ??

You keep trying to post these if, and or but statement when it is very black and white.

It’s clearly not black or white otherwise the Eagles would have made their stance on Carson as clear as the Texans did today, so maybe consider that you are the one missing something.

And accepting a 13 mil cap reduction still isn’t the full picture. I’d still want to know what the compensation is? Or how hard would it be to get under the cap even with Carson here? Or can Jalen put out good product on the field (if not, then we would want even more cap space to go get a QB).

2 minutes ago, Thrive said:

It’s clearly not black or white otherwise the Eagles would have made their stance on Carson as clear as the Texans did today, so maybe consider that you are the one missing something.

And accepting a 13 mil cap reduction still isn’t the full picture. I’d still want to know what the compensation is? Or how hard would it be to get under the cap even with Carson here? Or can Jalen put out good product on the field (if not, then we would want even more cap space to go get a QB).

All of that is irrelevant to the question.  Do you think Carson just has 13 million laying around to write a check.

37 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I know, it's sad.

If Howie doesn't improve I may have to start following another team, the incompetence without improvement gets old after awhile.......he's had long enough and still screw-up every draft in the early rounds when the talent is most abundant.    

Come on now, poor performance is hardly an excuse to switch allegiances. Especially when we’ve actually been one of the more successful teams in the league for the last 20 years. By this logic the bucs would have no one to support them in the super bowl coming up. 

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

All of that is irrelevant to the question.  Do you think Carson just has 13 million laying around to write a check.

I have answered that question several times. From the Eagles perspective, we don’t care: if he really wants to get traded and that’s the only palatable way it works for us, then he better. 

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

I have answered that question several times. From the Eagles perspective, we don’t care: if he really wants to get traded and that’s the only palatable way it works for us, then he better. 

I am going to guess he doesn't, and he has the leverage so he doesn't have to.  If the Eagles want to move him, they are eating all 34 million of the cap hit, teams know it, so the compensation is not going to be what they want either.

The conclusion, Carson Wentz is here as the starter for 2021.

12 minutes ago, Thrive said:

It’s clearly not black or white otherwise the Eagles would have made their stance on Carson as clear as the Texans did today

And the GM of the Texans made that statement, not the new coach.  It is not the new coaches job to answer those questions.

And why would the Texans make the statement publicly that they are trading him, it lowers his trade value.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I am going to guess he doesn't, and he has the leverage so he doesn't have to.  If the Eagles want to move him, they are eating all 34 million of the cap hit, teams know it, so the compensation is not going to be what they want either.

The conclusion, Carson Wentz is here as the starter for 2021.

The only leverage he has is sitting out, especially since the Eagles clearly don’t want to move him right now.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

And the GM of the Texans made that statement, not the new coach.  It is not the new coaches job to answer those questions.

And why would the Texans make the statement publicly that they are trading him, it lowers his trade value.

The GM made a statement and the new coach made it very clear that Watson is their guy. That’s pretty black and white to me.

If the Eagles can’t trade Carson, then basically say something definitive like that. They have had the opportunity and haven’t committed either way. Heck the Coach today (to no fault of his own) couldn’t even commit to him merely returning. I think you think you have all the necessary information to declare how this will end but the FO is smarter than you and haven’t made such declarative statements yet. That tells me that they aren’t sure which tells me there is a way to move him (even if they may not want to right now).

3 minutes ago, Thrive said:

The only leverage he has is sitting out, especially since the Eagles clearly don’t want to move him right now.

And his 2021 salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 20th, so he gets paid regardless.  The only one with a problem in this situation is the Eagles.

It is clear that you are not a fan, want him gone, and are going through all these mental gymnastics thinking Carson should do the Eagles a favor so he can be traded.

He holds all the leverage.

5 minutes ago, Thrive said:

The GM made a statement and the new coach made it very clear that Watson is their guy. That’s pretty black and white to me.

If the Eagles can’t trade Carson, then basically say something definitive like that. They have had the opportunity and haven’t committed either way. Heck the Coach today (to no fault of his own) couldn’t even commit to him merely returning. I think you think you have all the necessary information to declare how this will end but the FO is smarter than you and haven’t made such declarative statements yet. That tells me that they aren’t sure which tells me there is a way to move him (even if they may not want to right now).

That is Howie Roseman's job to do first.  GM's have the final say on rosters in the NFL.  He should have been at the PC, just like the Texans GM was.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And his 2021 salary becomes fully guaranteed on March 20th, so he gets paid regardless.  The only one with a problem in this situation is the Eagles.

It is clear that you are not a fan, want him gone, and are going through all these mental gymnastics thinking Carson should do the Eagles a favor so he can be traded.

He holds all the leverage.

You sound ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Thrive said:

You sound ridiculous.

I have the facts to back up my statement.  Remember, this all started when you did not understand how the salary cap works.  The bolded is 100% factually incorrect.  

2 hours ago, Thrive said:

And if he truly wants to be traded, then he’ll work with the team to restructure his contract so that he is tradable. That to me is a given.

11 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I have the facts to back up my statement.  Remember, this all started when you did not understand how the salary cap works.  The bolded is 100% factually incorrect.  

Ridiculous because you started saying that I’m not a fan which is just a ridiculous statement.

Anyway I already addressed the restructure point.

1 hour ago, Thrive said:

I get it but he wouldn’t just write a check - it would need to be based on certain conditions (otherwise he could just send us the money and we wouldn’t have to trade him etc) and terms. It would be in connection with a new/different contract, maybe even with the input of the team he is going to.

Him being tradable wouldn’t be the issue if he truly wants to get it done.

My question is.....trade him to what team? There is plenty of QB talent available in FA and the draft. It seems to me Wentz is not in a position to negotiate anything. I guess if he really wanted out he could sit out next season and be forced to refund the Eagles. Anything else requires a trade partner that would be willing to give up enough picks and/or players to make up for the cap hit.

If I were Siri I would be telling Wentz "my goal is to make you the best QB you can be and get you to a place where you have more control over your destiny".

34 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

My question is.....trade him to what team?

I mean that's the million $ question isn't it. I think there will be one or two teams with very serious interest in Wentz. That doesn't mean he will get traded but I can see at least two teams having very serious interest. Colts and Pats spring to mind. 

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I know, it's sad.

If Howie doesn't improve I may have to start following another team, the incompetence without improvement gets old after awhile.......he's had long enough and still screw-up every draft in the early rounds when the talent is most abundant.    

Final cuts done by Howie? That doesn’t even make sense. He would absolutely make moves for financial reasons over football ones. Just feels like this dude is just here to coach. When asked about his offense he basically said he runs everything.... I guess he’s implying it’s adaptable, but is it just a case of Howie dictating what offense you will be allowed to run? We will see, but it already feels like this coach is well behind the power curve.