Anyone got a bad feeling the Eagles will draft a QB in the first round?

opa-opa

29 minutes ago, Dweedlebug said:

And were those guys throwing to practice squad receivers??

Also, most of the reason they were ranked as high as 19th for last year is due to their run blocking.  To bad we didn't run the ball more.  Kelce was #3 center in the league for run blocking.

No the pass blocking was solid, most of Wentz sacks were after the line had held up for 4 seconds, there isn't a line in the NFL that will hold up for that long consistently.  Wentz was just that bad, that's why Matt Stafford went for a Kings Ransom and Wentz was traded to Indy for an offer that might get you a journeyman starter.

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't forget the 9 fumbles. 

Or his 354 rushing yards with 3 rushing TDs.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No the pass blocking was solid, most of Wentz sacks were after the line had held up for 4 seconds, there isn't a line in the NFL that will hold up for that long consistently.  Wentz was just that bad, that's why Matt Stafford went for a Kings Ransom and Wentz was traded to Indy for an offer that might get you a journeyman starter.

And why was he holding on to the ball that long?  Because no one was open. I mean I guess you could just throw it away every down or force it and throw a pick (which he did a lot). Like I said his numbers and Jalen’s numbers were almost exactly the same statistically. There’s a reason for that. 

part of the reason we got so little is because it became common knowledge that he wanted out and wasn’t happy. That gives your potential trade partners all the leverage. 

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Wentz did get the Big Money? Yes he did and he was under contract to play. But either he regressed mentally or he deliberately took the money and ran. We will find out later this year. Either way Wentz is a bad juju memory. I agree with you about the Line. Our line despite all the changes was not as bad as some people think...But Hurts had no preparation time, due to Pandemic or practices, or whatever also, when he was inserted. He did as well as I would expect anyone to do under the given circumstances. I want to see what this kid has in 2021.

• Like 4

It will be interesting to see what the Eagles do in this draft now that they have traded back. I highly doubt they go quarterback now though. 

16 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It will be interesting to see what the Eagles do in this draft now that they have traded back. I highly doubt they go quarterback now though. 

I find it hard to believe they would only trade up to 3 for Zach Wilson, who looks to me to be a classic case of a great white hope average QB being flattered by a powder puff schedule, I can't for the life of me see how he's ahead of a guy like Fields.

The only bright spot of trading up for him would be thst even Lurie couldn't forgive Howie spending #3 on a bust after surviving last year.

29 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Most likely it will be a CB..like Farley or Horn, or it could be someone who is sliding down, or OT. Lots of talent Pushed down because of QB run. I like it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

We are talking about people who let Carson walk after sinking a fortune into him. They will spin that it is a QB league, and don't blink twice about selecting another QB at 6. While I whole heartedly disagree with selecting QB at 6..because I want to see what Hurts got...I do not own the team. and next year's QBs are not as good as this year...So while I agree that it would be another blunder in terms of building a team..financially it makes sense..because then they can trade a QB next year from a position of strength..and get more capital for him. I hope they do not do that..but I am 80 percent convinced that if one of the top QBs is there at 6 ..Howie is doing it.

From a purely "best use of resources" standpoint, drafting a QB this year will be the best time (even though I doubt it happens).  Hurts can string together a few wins to get to 6 or 7 and that effectively puts us out of prime territory next year....without packaging up more resources.  Personally, I don't think Hurts is good enough to lead us anywhere significant, which tells me to keep QB @ 6 on the table.  I just don't see Howie admitting a 2nd time that he screwed the QB room up.  

Edit:  With the trade, QB is now surely off the table, unless Jones slides down.  I'd expect CB to be the pick, which is fine with me.  The cool part is that theoretically we will have 3 first round picks next year - Dolphins and Eagles early and the Colts pick late.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

From a purely "best use of resources" standpoint, drafting a QB this year will be the best time (even though I doubt it happens).  Hurts can string together a few wins to get to 6 or 7 and that effectively puts us out of prime territory next year....without packaging up more resources.  Personally, I don't think Hurts is good enough to lead us anywhere significant, which tells me to keep QB @ 6 on the table.  I just don't see Howie admitting a 2nd time that he screwed the QB room up.  

Edit:  With the trade, QB is now surely off the table, unless Jones slides down.  I'd expect CB to be the pick, which is fine with me.  The cool part is that theoretically we will have 3 first round picks next year - Dolphins and Eagles early and the Colts pick late.

We own next years draft. ... and depending on how Hurts does this year..we have the flexibility to move in any direction. That is a good position to be in.

• Like 2

anyone who had a bad feeling was proven right given that Howie tried to trade up to # 3 and draft a QB.

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I find it hard to believe they would only trade up to 3 for Zach Wilson, who looks to me to be a classic case of a great white hope average QB being flattered by a powder puff schedule, I can't for the life of me see how he's ahead of a guy like Fields.

The only bright spot of trading up for him would be thst even Lurie couldn't forgive Howie spending #3 on a bust after surviving last year.

I don’t like the trade down, because it prevents them from potentially getting a game changing type of player, but I see how they have loaded themselves up for 2022. Anything is possible by then. If Hurts shows he can do it then maybe they can use those picks on veteran players and if he falters maybe they use the picks on drafting or trading for a quarterback. I’d be hesitant to come here if I were a quarterback though. 

12 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

anyone who had a bad feeling was proven right given that Howie tried to trade up to # 3 and draft a QB.

I'm not necessarily buying it. Rapoport's claimed one source. "They would only do it for Zach Wilson". Presumably in that case it would have had to have been a contingent trade. Either way I'm not that taken with Wilson, so let's roll with Hurts with more talent and if he doesn't work out - we have plenty of ammunition next year.

On 3/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, NOTW said:

I will be worried if Howie trades back.  For 2 reasons.

1. He doesn't think any of the top prospects are worth it and we're going to miss out on a potential stud (potential key word, yes draft is no guarantee)
  2. The lower he goes, the less likely to take the more obvious choice.  That's when he starts to get cute or take a JAG, or worse a bust

Good compensation but chances of Howie succeeding decreased. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I think things opened up a bit. Many people might have complained if we drafted certain players at 6, that may still be there at 12. I also think this is the most overrated draft I've ever seen. We are calling so many guys "studs" and many didn't even play or they played in a non-traditional season against less prepared teams. Getting draft capital in 2022 may prove to be genius if a lot of these "top prospects" don't overwhelm as rookies. 

• Like 1

Sure Howie has faults, but the football gurus here don't say a thing about the Eagles scouting dept and I don't  mean the Boy Scouts.Are they over or under estimating draft choices abilty to fit in the Eagles system? 

Lets give Hurts as many good players as possible before we restart the the QB revolving door. Hurts needs another 2 yrs to see if he's and NFL QB. Remember,  there are SuperBowl  winning QBs that will only be in the Hall of Fame as visitors.Remember Doug Williams ?????? 

Iagree with a comment about schools packing the schedule with cream puffs.I can see where Kutztown U or Albright College would be on NDs schedule. This doesn't make possible  NFL players look any better on the field.These ADs make Howie look like Einstein.

At this point, maybe Howie trades out of the first round altogether for more picks...

After all:

image.png.14a3532740cf839de1fda5efa5629070.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My comment about college  teams packing the schedule with cream puffs was in response to a previous comment about Zach Wilson

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

If you were not sold on Chase and Pitts like me, chances actually increased. :whistle:

8 hours ago, Infam said:

If you were not sold on Chase and Pitts like me, chances actually increased. :whistle:

On paper it's a good deal, and with a competent GM who can draft well it would help build the team with solid talent. 

I just have a hard time missing out on potential stud players because after the top 10 Howie isn't good. He will draft an ok player or a JAG. 

Howie needs a high pick that's more of a "no brainer" pick. 

He is more interested in trades and draft capital, and Lurie will think this is genius. But they need this year and next year's 1st round picks to be GREAT, not just JAGs.

Will Howie make truly GREAT draft picks?

History says NO. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, NOTW said:

On paper it's a good deal, and with a competent GM who can draft well it would help build the team with solid talent. 

I just have a hard time missing out on potential stud players because after the top 10 Howie isn't good. He will draft an ok player or a JAG. 

Howie needs a high pick that's more of a "no brainer" pick. 

He is more interested in trades and draft capital, and Lurie will think this is genius. But they need this year and next year's 1st round picks to be GREAT, not just JAGs.

Will Howie make truly GREAT draft picks?

History says NO. 

I think he did average so far. Not great, not bad either.

What keeps ringing in my head is Lurie saying we don't know what happened in the draft room and how the picks were made. But that he did evaluate it fairly.

That sounded to me like maybe Mr. Roseman might not even be to blame for bad picks like JJaw.

Plenty of good picks to be made at 12, and that extra first is great. I suggest waiting for after the draft with your tears.

10 hours ago, Infam said:

I think he did average so far. Not great, not bad either.

What keeps ringing in my head is Lurie saying we don't know what happened in the draft room and how the picks were made. But that he did evaluate it fairly.

That sounded to me like maybe Mr. Roseman might not even be to blame for bad picks like JJaw.

Plenty of good picks to be made at 12, and that extra first is great. I suggest waiting for after the draft with your tears.

There was a report that Lurie wanted JJAW. Who knows at this point. I think that passing on Metcalf was an organizational decision -- they had been burned on Jones' injury in the second round, and they probably shied away from Metcalf's back injury.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPhilly said:

no

I wish they would have honestly.