Final Mock (04-17-2020)

Ray75

I’m truly out of ideas and have no clue what’s gonna happen in less than two weeks. 

Shout out to my friends around here and my EMB mock draft brothers. Enjoyed the ride! Let’s do it again next year!

Special thanks to @downundermike, @Couch Potato, @UK_EaglesFan89 @JetroLot, @Don Corleone, @20dawk4life and to @Infam for occasionally giving me a hard time.

Here we go...

Trade alert!

Eagles receive #8

Panthers receive #12, #84 and 2022 5th rounder.

08) Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina;

Rumor has it the Eagles want to trade up into the top 10 again. Only thing I could come up with is Howie desperately wanting to jump Jerry Jones and his Cowgirls for Jaycee Horn.

Another trade alert!

Eagles receive #30, Bills 5th in 2022

Bills receive #37, Zach Ertz, Eagles 4th in 2022

30) Terrance Marshall Jr., WR, LSU;

Eagles showed a ton of interest in the former LSU receiver and can’t take the risk of him not falling to them at 37.

70) Payton Turner, DE, Houston;

Another prospect they showed interest in and it makes a lot of sense with BG aging and both Barnett and Sweat in contract years.

123) Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia;

This is getting boring. Another prospect they had multiple conversations with and again this one would makes a ton of sense.

150) David Moore, OG, Grambling State;

After addressing both their most dire needs and the DL, the Eagles turn their attention to the OL.

189 Mark Webb, S, Georgia;

Safety depth and possible special teams ace.

224) Derrick Barnes, LB, Purdue;

One of the most underrated LB’s in the draft according to Tony Pauline. Steal!

225) Sadarius Hutcherson, OT/OG, South Carolina;

Big V 2.0

234) Rashad Wildgoose Jr., CB, Wisconsin;

Physical corner who’ll push for playing time in Jonathan Gannon’s new defense.

240) Matt Bushman, TE, BYU;

Backup TE.

• Like 5

Great job again bud. 

Look I'll be honest with you, and you know this, I'm not a fan of trading up to go get Horn.

Look we need CB absolutely no doubt and no question. But to trade down and then back up? I get that they've got a lot of ammo but I just think trading up to go get Horn is a mistake. 

I like him, I think he's good, I think he could be really good in the NFL. But trading back up in to the top 10? Not so much. 

The rest though I like. It's solid. It's a B grade with the potential to be an A if Horn and Marshall are hits and the rest provide good depth and rotation.

• Like 2

I think the love for Horn is being overblown. I don't think he goes top 10 and there's a really good chance he's not the first CB off the board. 

• Like 1

Ray, not going to lie andI realize this is really what you think Howie might do but if we trade back up into the top 10 

I'm going to freak out . On the old forum you and I had very similar opinions on players an player movement... still do.. but I'm hoping we can get

Horn or Surtain at 12. I'm really against a WR at 12 so I like this, just hope it's by staying where we are. Again, I realize this is trying to be in the front offices head and 

going off their drafting record there is plenty of space in those heads. 

• Like 1

I'm only ok to trade back up if we pick a receiver. We should be able to get Surtain or Horn at 12..

That said, so far I like this mock best from you. My personal preference is to draft OL and TE early, but hey.. can't fill all holes at once I guess.

P.S.: Trading back up for Marshall is probably a good idea. He's should help right away.

Maybe we should just let the CB position go down in flames and double dip at receiver to see what we got in Hurts.. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

I think the love for Horn is being overblown. I don't think he goes top 10 and there's a really good chance he's not the first CB off the board. 

2 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Ray, not going to lie andI realize this is really what you think Howie might do but if we trade back up into the top 10 

I'm going to freak out . On the old forum you and I had very similar opinions on players an player movement... still do.. but I'm hoping we can get

Horn or Surtain at 12. I'm really against a WR at 12 so I like this, just hope it's by staying where we are. Again, I realize this is trying to be in the front offices head and 

going off their drafting record there is plenty of space in those heads. 

2 hours ago, Infam said:

I'm only ok to trade back up if we pick a receiver. We should be able to get Surtain or Horn at 12..

That said, so far I like this mock best from you. My personal preference is to draft OL and TE early, but hey.. can't fill all holes at once I guess.

P.S.: Trading back up for Marshall is probably a good idea. He's should help right away.

Maybe we should just let the CB position go down in flames and double dip at receiver to see what we got in Hurts.. 😄

Agree with all of you but why is it rumored that the Eagles want to trade up?!

For Chase or Pitts?! Should have stayed at #6, right?! But if one’s on the board at, say, 7 or 8, go get ‘m!

For Smith or Waddle? One of them will likely be there at #12, right?!

And for all of you who want the Eagles to take a receiver again, I might be in the minority here but my gut feeling says they’re not targeting receivers in the first at all. Been wrong before though... 😂

2 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

For Chase or Pitts?! Should have stayed at #6, right?!

And for all of you who think the Eagles should take a receiver again, I might be in the minority here but my gut feeling says they’re not targeting receivers in the first at all. Been wrong before though... 😂

Depends on the cost of trading up. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Depends on the cost of trading up. 

Indeed! I’d gain a first and give up a 3rd and 4th for Pitts or Chase every day of the week!

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed! I’d gain a first and give up a 3rd and 4th for Pitts or Chase every day of the week!

Yea now factor in having next years first rounder from the dolphins and to me the trade back and then back up is worth it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

For Chase or Pitts?! Should have stayed at #6, right?! But if one’s on the board at, say, 7 or 8, go get ‘m!

And for all of you who want the Eagles to take a receiver again, I might be in the minority here but my gut feeling says they’re not targeting receivers in the first at all. Been wrong before though... 😂

Well, the Dolphins could have given Howie the idea, and we would still come out ahead vs. staying at 6.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

Well, the Dolphins could have given Howie the idea, and we would still come out ahead vs. staying at 6.

But you don’t want to give up a first next year...

I stick to my guns; they want to jump the Cowboys for a CB. A 3rd and possibly change will get you to 8 or 9 and do the trick.

Can’t see them giving up a 2nd unless Chase or Pitts happen to fall to #7. Detroit is rumored to want to trade out of that slot...

40 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I stick to my guns; they want to jump the Cowboys for a CB. A 3rd and possibly change will get you to 8 or 9 and do the trick.

Can’t see them giving up a 2nd unless Chase or Pitts happen to fall to #7. Detroit is rumored to want to trade out of that slot...

I can't see them going up as far as #7. The price on draft night probably would be almost as high as the price they got to move from #6 to #12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't see them going up as far as #7. The price on draft night probably would be almost as high as the price they got to move from #6 to #12.

Indeed! Probably would take a 2nd and I don’t see them giving up that...

Like I said, it’s probably a couple of spots for Horn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Great job again bud. 

Look I'll be honest with you, and you know this, I'm not a fan of trading up to go get Horn.

Look we need CB absolutely no doubt and no question. But to trade down and then back up? I get that they've got a lot of ammo but I just think trading up to go get Horn is a mistake. 

I like him, I think he's good, I think he could be really good in the NFL. But trading back up in to the top 10? Not so much. 

The rest though I like. It's solid. It's a B grade with the potential to be an A if Horn and Marshall are hits and the rest provide good depth and rotation.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Always love a Ray75 mock draft and like a lot of what you have done. But agree with my UK friend on this one.

I don't love the move up and I'm not sure Carolina does it for a 3rd and change either. Eagles have to be smart, even though we need a corner in the worst way. I don't see Horn or Surtain being real value at 8. I would just sit tight at 12. We are going to get a good player and probably one of those two. If we don't, take Smith, Parsons or either Slater and then look to be aggressive in getting Farley, Newcome or Asante by potentially trading up from 2nd. 

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Not so sure, really. Receivers tend to go early nowadays. If the plan is to grab a receiver, #12 is a gamble.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I think that may be likely, considering that we need a corner really bad - and haven't signed one in FA so far.

But why would you think it's Horn? I still like Surtain better.

20 minutes ago, Infam said:

I think that may be likely, considering that we need a corner really bad - and haven't signed one in FA so far.

But why would you think it's Horn? I still like Surtain better.

Connecting the dots here, my friend. I know they talked to both but from my understanding they’re interested in Horn slightly more.

I like Surtain, he’s as clean, technically sound and pro ready as they come. The difference between the two is a) those testing results show up on game tape more with Horn (he looks and reacts faster); b) because of it the thinking is that Surtain’s floor is higher while Horn has a higher ceiling and c) Horn is just a more aggresive and tenacious player.

I’d be happy with either...

1 hour ago, RUEagle said:

No way I trade up for Horn 

We’ll see...

11 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed! Probably would take a 2nd and I don’t see them giving up that...

Like I said, it’s probably a couple of spots for Horn.

Yeah there's no way I give up a second to get back in to the top 10, especially not for a CB.

We need corner, we need an X receiver, we need DE, we need OL. Too many needs to be giving up a premium pick to get a CB in this year's draft. 

10 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Always love a Ray75 mock draft and like a lot of what you have done. But agree with my UK friend on this one.

I don't love the move up and I'm not sure Carolina does it for a 3rd and change either. Eagles have to be smart, even though we need a corner in the worst way. I don't see Horn or Surtain being real value at 8. I would just sit tight at 12. We are going to get a good player and probably one of those two. If we don't, take Smith, Parsons or either Slater and then look to be aggressive in getting Farley, Newcome or Asante by potentially trading up from 2nd. 

As we know though bud our friend Ray does what he thinks is realistic and he can see Howie doing. This isn't necessarily what he wants. 

12 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Thanks buddy!

Like @UK_EaglesFan89 said, I always try to envision what the Eagles will do. Although I love the first rounder they got in return for trading back, at #6 I would have taken Pitts or Chase and if both would be off the board, I would have tried to trade down a couple of spots and taken either Horn or Surtain.

What I think happened is this; Howie couldn’t refuse the offer, especially because he believed blue chip prospects like Chase and Pitts wouldn’t make it to #6. That extra first rounder will come in handy, especially if Hurts proves he’s not the guy.

He believed the drop off from a talent perspective at #12 wouldn’t be that big but now he has come to the realisation that some of his targets might not be there at all.

Bare with me. I’m under the believe they’re not targeting receivers in the first but have their eyes set on corners. Although it’s not in their DNA to take one that early, since Howie became GM he has always used his first selection to address the team’s most dire need. He’s now afraid prospects 1a and 1b will not be on the board by the time the Eagles are on the clock at #12.

Because Carolina traded for Darnold, they’re now somewhat out of the QB sweepstakes and will likely address either the OL (Sewell or Slater) or the CB position. If they pass on the latter, either Horn or Surtain will make it to #12 but to secure 1a, they still have to jump the Cowboys because they too are in the CB market and high on Horn.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt but personally I’m convinced the Eagles are targeting a CB in the first for the first time in almost two decades.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What I think happened is this; Howie couldn’t refuse the offer, especially because he believed blue chip prospects like Chase and Pitts wouldn’t make it to #6. That extra first rounder will come in handy, especially if Hurts proves he’s not the guy.

He believed the drop off from a talent perspective at #12 wouldn’t be that big but now he has come to the realisation that some of his targets might not be there at all.

So my two issues with this (with Howie not with what you've said) is:

1) The trade down to pick up an extra first round next year is a way of Howie giving himself extra security to still be in the job. That's what he's good at, covering himself and protecting himself. 

2) Howie believing that the drop off from a talent perspective is a major concern. His talent evaluation is woeful so if Howie doesn't think there's a big drop off then there's probably a big drop off. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So my two issues with this (with Howie not with what you've said) is:

1) The trade down to pick up an extra first round next year is a way of Howie giving himself extra security to still be in the job. That's what he's good at, covering himself and protecting himself. 

2) Howie believing that the drop off from a talent perspective is a major concern. His talent evaluation is woeful so if Howie doesn't think there's a big drop off then there's probably a big drop off. 

At the time of the trade it was believed Carolina would take a QB but with that off the table there’s one less team looking for a signal caller in the top 10. Even Howie couldn’t have predicted Panthers would trade for Darnold.

17 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

At the time of the trade it was believed Carolina would take a QB but with that off the table there’s one less team looking for a signal caller in the top 10. Even Howie couldn’t have predicted Panthers would trade for Darnold.

No very true but he also couldn't predict what was going to happen at all. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No very true but he also couldn't predict what was going to happen at all. 

And that’s why he’s looking to trade up again.

Gain a 1st by trading down, give up a 3rd to secure your man.