ROUND 2 (#37): Eagles select Landon Dickerson (Alabama G/C)

Moderator6

16 minutes ago, vaff said:

Hasn’t the Eagles FO been relentlessly criticized for passing on another injury prone player in the second round ... DK Metcalf?

So Howie has to overcompensate by drafting Mr. Glass? Trade back 10-15 spots and grab him. Don't pass over really good D talent for a risk. Fill a hole long term.

10 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Mediocre? Don't watch many Bama games do you? Guys a beast. And was the undisputed leader of the best Oline in College football. Oops. Misread. My bad!

Elaborate on his injury history. That doesn't concern you at all? Has he ever played a full season? 

10 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

They still are for guys that heavy.  Plus he's had an extensive injury history, not just one.  Some mocks had him as a 3rd or 4th round pick.  If anything we could've traded back and collected more assets.  This is absolutely a "smartest guy in the room" pick. 

Look, he’s not my top choice. I was hoping for Tyson Campbell or Asante Samuel. Still gonna be some nice defensive players at 70, especially with this oline run going on right now. 

15 minutes ago, vaff said:

Hasn’t the Eagles FO been relentlessly criticized for passing on another injury prone player in the second round ... DK Metcalf?

DK didn't have a blown ACL or season ending injuries practically every year last i checked. He could actually walk when he was drafted and ran a 4.2 40. Not comparable.

Solid pick. Have to protect our QB and he's a perfect fit for depth at C/G. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsdarkstar said:

Have to be on the field to protect the QB. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Both Ross Tucker and Brian Baldinger have said this guy was their single favourite player in the draft.

• Like 1

Just now, Diehardfan said:

Have to be on the field to protect the QB. Fingers crossed.

He's day by day now medically, looking forward to getting on the field and make this team better.  

Man, I like the kid, but his injuries are concerning. My biggest gripe is that this defense needs to be addressed and soon!!!

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

Both Ross Tucker and Brian Baldinger have said this guy was their single favourite player in the draft.

Listening to his interview. This guy has the right attitude. His game tape is great. 

• Like 1

I hope he's not another Sidney Jones, an injured player they have to wait and groom only to find out it doesn't work out.  If so we'll be looking at defensive players they should've taken in the 2nd here.

He looks like a beast let's hope he's healthy.  

11 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

We had the worst Oline in the league last year. It was a good pick. 

Rubbish. PFF had us 19th. And that was with the entire line injured. We have players coming back from injury and young developing talent. It is a need but not nearly as much as the D.

• Like 1

Talent wise, he's first-round caliber, played well in the SEC against the best defenses, even won the Rimington trophy for best center in college football in his first season at C, but would have preferred someone with less injury risk. Can't give this one an A like the Devonta Smith pick, I think WalterFootball (yeah I know not the best site) nailed it on the head grading this move a C given the injury risk.

At least it's not an F 😂,  which some of the Howie moves of the past have been. 

Dickerson makes sense. He can play interior OL, and Center if/when Kelce retires. That fills a need. Injury history is a big concern. 

They left a lot of good D/secondary players on the board. Maybe they’re thinking one falls into next round. 

His recovery is right where he wants it to be and doesn't have a time frame. He's right on schedule where he wants to be. 

He also has a nasty streak. Good interview.

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Rubbish. PFF had us 19th. And that was with the entire line injured. We have players coming back from injury and young developing talent. It is a need but not nearly as much as the D.

PFF can say whatever they want. We gave up 65 sacks. Good for the most with a 15 sack margin....... top ten for most sacks given up in a season EVER.

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I hope he's not another Sidney Jones, an injured player they have to wait and groom only to find out it doesn't work out.  If so we'll be looking at defensive players they should've taken in the 2nd here.

No grooming needed here. He’s pro ready, best C in the country and the leader of one of the best college Olines in history. Yes the injury history concerns me but I’m not "throw ish at my TV” angry at all. He’s a long term successor at a very key position. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, toolg said:

Dickerson makes sense. He can play interior OL, and Center if/when Kelce retires. That fills a need. Injury history is a big concern. I think they could have gotten him later in the draft. 

They left a lot of good D/secondary players on the board. Maybe they’re thinking one falls into next round. 

I think there going CB next year in the first round. But agreed, they better address the Defense now. 

The guy is a monster, and we are well past due for some injury luck.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Starting to wonder if we know how the 2nd rd works

13 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Not according to all the armchair GM's here that know more than Stoutland

44 minutes ago, judunno said:

The dude couldn't even stand to celebrate lol. Typical Howie hope it works out. Our history with damaged goods isn't the best.

I probably shouldn't comment because I don't watch collage ball or know anything about this guy but when I started reading the comments this was my first though.

For some reason unlike the Braman years in the Lurie era the Eagles just don't have much good luck with defensive high draft picks. Cox is an exception but the list of high defensive draft picks that were busts is too long to count. Howie maybe realizes that so he's just going to save the defense for the later round picks. 

Daniel Jeremiah has him ranked at #40 on his top 150 list, right after Asante Samuel Jr, so it's not like he's some major reach here in the 2nd round. 

1939917532_ScreenShot2021-04-30at7_29_43PM.png.ac2ec4309c9c5900d8f571c4abc33af6.png

2 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I think there going CB next year in the first round. But agreed, they better address the Defense now. 

I think it’s possible we draft three defensive players in the first round next year. 

• Like 2