ROUND 2 (#37): Eagles select Landon Dickerson (Alabama G/C)

Moderator6

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I get it, the risk is real and evident. It's a gamble for sure, he's worth it in my opinion, but I can understand if others feel differently.

Tommy Lawlor said a few days ago he started to make a list of players he felt Nick Sirianni would love. He said Dickerson was the first name he wrote down. I wonder how much influence Sirianni had on this pick? Tommy may have been on to something.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean you'd think at some point our luck will change? But at this point you've got to think it is something they are doing wrong. 

Well, if it was something direct or indirect to the coaching staff, they’re all gone now, Stoutland aside. Hopefully that works out for us. 

I can't fathom using a high pick on a guy that's already had 4 season ending knee and ankle injuries.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

This guy should have been red flagged and taken off the board. This guy is going to spend more time on IR than on the field. So much risk. You don't pick a guy like that at the top of the second..with so much other talent on the board. It is beyond stupid. 2 torn ACLs , multiple ankle issues. 

I don't even like the pick for the injury concerns but extreme over the top opinions like this will have me defending it. I would have went elsewhere, but no matter where you go at 37 you are taking someone else with other questions marks. For Dickerson it's the injuries. For Barmore it's coachability and work ethic, for Samuel it's height and is he just a good slot corner, for JOK it's is he a tweener, etc etc. I would have been more comfortable with the risks of these other guys but acting as if there were all of these other slam dunk can't miss prospects staring them in the face at 37 is hyperbole. There were question marks about all of them otherwise they would have been first round picks.

• Like 3

Just now, T-1000 said:

I don't even like the pick for the injury concerns but extreme over the top opinions like this will have me defending it. I would have went elsewhere, but no matter where you go at 37 you are taking someone else with other questions marks. For Dickerson it's the injuries. For Barmore it's coachability and work ethic, for Samuel it's height and is he just a good slot corner, for JOK it's is he a tweener, etc etc. I would have been more comfortable with the risks of these other guys but acting as if there were all of these other slam dunk can't miss prospects staring them in the face at 37 is hyperbole. There were question marks about all of them otherwise they would have been first round picks.

I agree and we've had this discussion between us earlier today. But this team with their injury record should be steering away from players with injury records. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean you'd think at some point our luck will change? But at this point you've got to think it is something they are doing wrong. 

Our OL already can't stay on the field. I don't understand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, judunno said:

Our OL already can't stay on the field. I don't understand.

And that's my issue. We are a team who keep suffering from injuries especially along the OL so this pick makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

I can't fathom using a high pick on a guy that's already had 4 season ending knee and ankle injuries.

On the interior line at that. Kind of need ankles and knees especially at center

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree and we've had this discussion between us earlier today. But this team with their injury record should be steering away from players with injury records. 

I agree. I wouldn't have done it. I love the Smith pick, like the Williams pick, like this player but dislike the pick. I would have went with Barmore, but he too comes with a clear and different set of question marks.

• Like 2

Love this kid when healthy, but has the injury history of a ten year NFL veteran and hasn’t played a snap of Pro ball. If he’s already held together with safety pins and duct tape, I don’t think you can project this kid to be the future anchor of the Eagles O line. Reach based on hopes and wishes. Reality says he’ll never play a full season in the NFL. Then again, maybe he’ll be a situational center, only playing certain downs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I agree. I wouldn't have done it. I love the Smith pick, like the Williams pick, like this player but dislike the pick. I would have went with Barmore, but he too comes with a clear and different set of question marks.

And I'm certainly not arguing that bud. Players in the second (and later) are either not that good or if they are they come with flags. I just don't like the injury flag. 

3 hours ago, vaff said:

I think they’re going to take one of the RB’s: Michael Carter or Kenneth Gainwell.

I wouldn’t be shocked by either of them. I like both of them too. 

great picks on Paper...I do worry about Smith getting pounded by a head hunting safety...and Dickerson getting hurt in the trenches. Thus is worse case scenario. But how many times was Smith hit in the SEC? Can he take a hit. I am tired of the if he stays healthy he is great. In Dickerson's case, he hasn't stayed healthy  Maybe should have taken the other Bama guy Barrow in second and taken a center in third.

A second round pick-Howie shouldn't even have to say that we expect him to play in 2021............that to me creates a lingering doubt-and on a 2nd rounder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Sidney Jones part 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't know. For a while we tried to sign players that were exceptionally healthy, never injured. And then when we got them they got hurt anyways..

Not sure how this will play out, but I am somewhat ok with gambling on upside with such a key piece of the offense.

• Like 1

Just now, Infam said:

I don't know. For a while we tried to sign players that were exceptionally healthy, never injured. And then when we got them they got hurt anyways..

Not sure how this will play out, but I am somewhat ok with gambling on upside with such a key piece of the offense.

I mean look I agree its a tricky one. Howie passed on Metcalf and we now kill him for that. Howie took Jones and we killed him for that. Ultimately Howie has to go on medical advice and if they are telling him Dickerson is going to be fine then he's got to listen to that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look I agree its a tricky one. Howie passed on Metcalf and we now kill him for that. Howie took Jones and we killed him for that. Ultimately Howie has to go on medical advice and if they are telling him Dickerson is going to be fine then he's got to listen to that. 

When it came to drafting Jones I was absolutely opposed. When it came to Metcalf I was 100% on drafting him in the first.

With Dickerson I am not sure, but it doesn't really feel like a bad pick to me right now.

Just now, Infam said:

When it came to drafting Jones I was absolutely opposed. When it came to Metcalf I was 100% on drafting him in the first.

With Dickerson I am not sure, but it doesn't really feel like a bad pick to me right now.

To be honest it's the toss of a coin. He may come in to the NFL and have no issues. He may come in to the NFL and continue to get hurt. If he can stay healthy though he should be really really good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be honest it's the toss of a coin. He may come in to the NFL and have no issues. He may come in to the NFL and continue to get hurt. If he can stay healthy though he should be really really good. 

He's already coming in with issues. He's going to miss time rehabbing.

7 minutes ago, judunno said:

He's already coming in with issues. He's going to miss time rehabbing.

Well yeah OK fair point. He could sit the whole year and to me that's an issue. 

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Mock-Draft-2021-Carolina-Panthers-draft-DeVonta-Smith-Landon-Dickerson-ESPN-Mel-Kiper-explains-Alabama-football-164115132/

Mel Kiper Jr. explains predicting Smith, Dickerson to Panthers

ByRILEY GATES Apr 13, 4:56 PM

DeVonta Smith and Landon Dickerson only got to play one year together at Alabama but the future of their careers could be more time together. ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. explained on NFL Live on Tuesday why, in his latest mock draft, he has the Carolina Panthers taking Smith eighth overall and then Dickerson in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

"You already have DJ Moore and Robby Anderson. Now you have DeVonta in there, Christian McCaffery. Now you have weapons for Sam Darnold, something he did not have with the New York Jets,” Kiper said. "And that offensive line, you can address in the second round and get that real leader, that firey guy. A guy that looks like an offensive line coach playing that center/guard position in Landon Dickerson at Alabama as well.

"Nothing wrong with going for a couple of Crimson Tide players. These guys know how to win, how to train, how to work and they’re ready to go. He’s obviously coming off of that knee injury, which is why he could be there at pick 39. He may not be ready for the start of the season, but once he is, he could be an anchor for a long time with the Carolina Panthers, or have the ability to play guard.”

Smith could really help Darnold re-establish himself as an NFL quarterback if he were to go to the Panthers. This year, Smith had 117 catches for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns for the Crimson Tide. His excellent route running created a lot of separation against premier defensive backs. Smith had some dominant games like his 12-catch and 215-yard performance against Ohio State in the College Football Playoffs National Championship Game and he also became the first wide receiver to win the Heisman Trophy since Desmond Howard in 1991.

Dickerson earned honorable mention All-American and Second Team All-SEC honors in his first season with the Crimson Tide. He then earned First Team All-American and All-SEC honors in 2020, while also finding himself as a semifinalist for the Outland Trophy, given to college football’s top interior offensive lineman. Dickerson was part of college football’s top offensive line unit this season and helped the Crimson Tide win an SEC Championship, before suffering an injury during that win over Florida that held him out of the College Football Playoff. But even though he couldn’t give 100% effort in the playoff, Dickerson still convinced head coach Nick Saban to allow him to suit up and play the final snap of Alabama’s National Championship victory.

Carolina holds the eighth overall pick in the draft and then the seventh in the second round of the draft. The Panthers also hold the ninth pick in the third round of the draft but it is expected that Dickerson will be gone by then.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well yeah OK fair point. He could sit the whole year and to me that's an issue. 

All we can do is hope. Dude is either a stud or it's one more check box to dump Howie. Win win?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eldereagle1 said:

Love this kid when healthy, but has the injury history of a ten year NFL veteran

When explaining this pick to someone yesterday I said "It's like we drafted current Jason Peters to replace Jason Kelce."

• Thanks 1

Pretty funny Kiper got the players right but the team wrong. 

1 minute ago, judunno said:

All we can do is hope. Dude is either a stud or it's one more check box to dump Howie. Win win?

They won't dump Howie until we are beyond next years draft! And this is the rebuild window with all these assets.