ROUND 2 (#37): Eagles select Landon Dickerson (Alabama G/C)

Moderator6

Just now, opa-opa said:

Wow, Creed Humphrey is still available. 

People don't exactly lineup to select Big 12 lineman.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Manigan said:

Here is his injury history, only one year was he not the best sideline cheerleader before the end of the season, hard to be the best if you cant complete a season

2016: Torn right ACL (season ending)

2017: Ankle (season ending)

2018: Ankle (medical redshirt, season ending)

2020: Torn left ACL (took a snap in title game

You don't have to tell me his history. I haven't missed watching a Bama game in probably six years. I bleed Crimson on Sat and Green on Sunday. I don't care about his injury history. Kid is a beast. It's football. Injuries happen.  Especially on O line. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope they only let McLane ask questions at the PC tonight. Just straight heat for 30 minutes ripping this stupidity apart.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I hope so! I always like investing in O line.

They just haven't drafted defense high in 4 years. 

The additions of Harris and Wilson at S and LB make those positions less of a need for this year. Still want to see 1-2 CBs, and 1-2 Edge rushers drafted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

haha, the Colts just drafted a DE who won't play this year. LOL> 

Don't laugh too loud the eagles did that just a couple years ago.

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

You don't have to tell me his history. I haven't missed watching a Bama game in probably six years. I bleed Crimson on Sat and Green on Sunday. I don't care about his injury history. Kid is a beast. It's football. Injuries happen.  Especially on O line. 

so maybe, just maybe, your a little blinded by your Bama love

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Manigan said:

I've also actually watched him play.......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Manigan said:

Everybody loves this guy as a player and teammate, but he has an extremely extensive injury history. That’s all there is to it. Neither are deniable. So you can choose to focus on one or the other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

Everybody loves this guy as a player and teammate, but he has an extremely extensive injury history. That’s all there is to it. Neither are deniable. So you can choose to focus on one or the other.

That I agree with and wont argue.    I am simply concerned that with the team needs they invested a 2nd round pick, again, on a player with an injury history.  I hope I am proven wrong but history has a way of repeating itself

Rimington Trophy winner

Dickerson is the reigning winner of the Rimington Trophy, given to the best center in college football. The Alabama offensive line surrendered just nine sacks while quarterback Mac Jones was on the field (.75 per game, ranked sixth in the nation).Per Pro Football Focus, Dickerson had the highest WAR (wins above replacement) rating of any offensive lineman in college football in 2020.

Dominant in pass block

How good was Dickerson in his college career? He allowed just one sack in 825 pass-blocking snaps from 2018 to 2020, or allowed a sack just 0.12% of the time. Wasn't hard to find out why Dickerson was a unanimous All-American last season and a first-team All-SEC selection.   

Tough as nails

Never question Dickerson's toughness. Dickerson suffered a torn ACL in the SEC Championship but was able to take the final snaps in Alabama's national title game victory against Ohio State, less than a month later. Of course his injury history is a concern after he tore the ACL in his right knee as a freshman at Florida State and suffered season-ending ankle injuries his sophomore and junior years for the Seminoles. The torn ACL in his left knee as a graduate transfer was the fourth major injury in five years for Dickerson. He'll play through pain regardless.  

Scouting Report

NFL comp: Mike Pouncey
Best trait: Plays with a mean streak

Strengths

• Scheme versatility
  • Combination of size and power
  • Ability to get to the second level and be effective

Weaknesses

• Injury history
  • Foot quickness

12 minutes ago, Bob Manigan said:

Yeah, but not this year.

I'm putting this pick in the Sidney Jones category in terms of talent to injury risk ratio. Don't forget Jones was in the running to be an early 1st round pick, possibly the best CB that year, but we got burned on that gamble.

I love Dickerson as a player, just not loving the injury risk with him given our luck/training staff. However, his NFL career is just getting started, and we need to give this guy the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

Side note, he should take #69 from Matt Pryor haha

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Dickerson is a beast. He played Center in the SEC. Gonna get dinged up there sometimes. 

Sometimes? Looks like all the time from his medicals.

34 minutes ago, Birdman said:

and if he does play this season will you stay hate the pick?

He blew his ACL in the championship game. Would be absolutely stupid to rush him back with his history.

Mix feelings about the pick, not hating it but not in love either. Same feeling like Sidney.

Basically our Oline's problem was staying healthy last year, so they draft a guy with major injury history?

Like his talent, but the risk reward here is pretty dubious.

Interesting to see his playing style. Kelce and Dickerson have totally different playing styles. Let's see how he integrates into center.

Until then, at least the Eagles have a backup OG for Brooks when he gets hurt. Then have Herbig as a back back up OG for Dickerson when he gets hurt.

51 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

The guy is a monster, and we are well past due for some injury luck.

It would be nice for a chance.

4 minutes ago, kentwo said:

Basically our Oline's problem was staying healthy last year, so they draft a guy with major injury history?

Like his talent, but the risk reward here is pretty dubious.

Interesting to see his playing style. Kelce and Dickerson have totally different playing styles. Let's see how he integrates into center.

Until then, at least the Eagles have a backup OG for Brooks when he gets hurt. Then have Herbig as a back back up OG for Dickerson when he gets hurt.

Dickerson will start the year on IR

Howies on a HOT STREAK!!!!! Two good picks in a row.Keep it going Howie!!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Freedom 76 said:

Howies on a HOT STREAK!!!!! Two good picks in a row.Keep it going Howie!!!!

The only hot streak Howie has is after the draft room got Chipotle catering.

3 minutes ago, judunno said:

Seems like the hangout for Eagle O-lineman

5 minutes ago, judunno said:

I don't think so.

35 minutes ago, Bob Manigan said:

Sad part is it wasn't due to an injury 

NOTW, you're  quite the optimist. Give him credit for trading ahead of the Giants and landing the best receiver in the draft. Unfortunately he had to trade with the Boyz.