ROUND 2 (#37): Eagles select Landon Dickerson (Alabama G/C)

Moderator6

The best ability is to be the best player on IR. 

Landon Dickerson has this ability in spades.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I don't think so.

He better. A guy with his history coming back in 6-7 months after ACL injury at his size. Not wise. Bubble wrap him up. Oh and he already blew out the other knee so may put that one at risk again too if he rushes back 

7 minutes ago, Bamabird said:

If you want to understand Landon’s personality, check this out. Cartwheels a few months after injury!

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/31166660

Cool, so after a major injury he likes to dick around and possibly reinjure it. 

• Haha 3

Everyone knows you build from the inside out. 2 line picks on day 2 has me happy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

If that is the way you want to look at it, very negative!

Instead you should look at a guy who has healed quickly and loves to have fun!

Asante Samuel Jr:  "Dang, I shoulda played rock, I knew it!"

1 hour ago, Bob Manigan said:

Here is his injury history, only one year was he not the best sideline cheerleader before the end of the season, hard to be the best if you cant complete a season

2016: Torn right ACL (season ending)

2017: Ankle (season ending)

2018: Ankle (medical redshirt, season ending)

2020: Torn left ACL (took a snap in title game

I don’t end conversations with "Roll Tide”, but the Dickerson is really good.  Top 20 pick easily w/o the injury history and that’s the issue.  ACL’s aren’t nick/nack injuries, just ask Dylan Moses.  They are serious knee reconstructions with cartilage damage which means an early onset of arthritis. If he tears it again, his career will be over.

No ones knee is better after 1 ACL surgery, now add in a 2nd and actually since he’s not healthy right now, no one knows how good he’s still going to be, it could snap the first time he pulls as a guard.  Cartwheels, stretching, and lifting weights are completely different from get pushed by a 280lb D tackle.  

It’s a shame because you can tell he’s a great kid that everyone likes, I hope he’s injury free for the next 10 years, but he’s more likely to be on IR in the next two years, than not. 

This is a typical Howie pick. Talented player with injury history. Long shot to get healthy and stay healthy for even a full season.

I like the kid but liking him doesn't mean he's going to be able to stay healthy. Howie letting it ride on 11B.

• Thanks 1

People hate that we didn't draft Metcalf (because of his injury history) in one breath, and then hate when we do draft someone with an injury history in their next breath. Unlike Metcalf who relies solely on his physical gifts and will probably never be known as a good route runner, Dickerson is technically sound and extremely versatile. We also don't have an immediate need for him to step in right away. Kelce and Brooks are two of the best at their positions, Seumalo is solid and Herbig was playing great football last year filling in at G. We don't have to rush Dickerson back from his current injury. 

• Like 2

Nobody can dispute his talent however, multiple injuries is always a red flag. A guy getting seriously injured with regularity rarely stops getting seriously injured with regularity. Howie's betting on this kid being a rare exception to the rule. Good luck with that. Better draft another Center tomorrow just in case.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

People hate that we didn't draft Metcalf (because of his injury history) in one breath, and then hate when we do draft someone with an injury history in their next breath. Unlike Metcalf who relies solely on his physical gifts and will probably never be known as a good route runner, Dickerson is technically sound and extremely versatile. We also don't have an immediate need for him to step in right away. Kelce and Brooks are two of the best at their positions, Seumalo is solid and Herbig was playing great football last year filling in at G. We don't have to rush Dickerson back from his current injury. 

Once again horrible comparison. You have one guy fresh off his 2nd ACL surgery less than 4 months ago then you have another who destroyed his combine and could actually walk without a limp on draft day.

24 minutes ago, judunno said:

Once again horrible comparison. You have one guy fresh off his 2nd ACL surgery less than 4 months ago then you have another who destroyed his combine and could actually walk without a limp on draft day.

It's not a horrible comparison. Metcalf had 2 seasons in college ended by injury, the last being a neck injury. He was off our draft board, period. Physically, he was a freak of nature. But technically, he wasn't even close to being polished and his build will actually prevent him from ever being so. 

I do understand that Dickerson is still rehabbing and that he won't be ready to compete probably until after the season begins, which will also cause him to miss valuable camp time. However, he's a lot farther along in being coached than most O-line prospects. When he's healthy, he'll be able to step in if needed. 

If you want to complain, don't let me stop you. I'm not going to pretend to know his injury future. Metcalf managed to stay healthy so far as a pro. Derrick Burgess managed to overcome a lot of early injuries as a pro. Even Wentz stayed healthy the last 2 years after being labeled injury prone. I'd rather find out if he just had a stretch of bad luck in college while he's on a rookie contract than find out it's a trend as a pro after a big extension. 

• Like 1

Solid pick. I didn’t mind it because my two top targets Tyson Campbell and Jevon Holland were off the board

• Like 1

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

Solid pick. I didn’t mind it because my two top targets Tyson Campbell and Jevon Holland were off the board

I can’t see how they don’t go CB at 123. Still a few guys available that are solid picks there:

Tay Gowan

Robert Rochell

Rodarius Williams 

Keith Taylor

Israel Mukuamu

would be my top 5 still available with Rochell being my fave. 

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's not a horrible comparison. Metcalf had 2 seasons in college ended by injury, the last being a neck injury. He was off our draft board, period. Physically, he was a freak of nature. But technically, he wasn't even close to being polished and his build will actually prevent him from ever being so. 

I do understand that Dickerson is still rehabbing and that he won't be ready to compete probably until after the season begins, which will also cause him to miss valuable camp time. However, he's a lot farther along in being coached than most O-line prospects. When he's healthy, he'll be able to step in if needed. 

If you want to complain, don't let me stop you. I'm not going to pretend to know his injury future. Metcalf managed to stay healthy so far as a pro. Derrick Burgess managed to overcome a lot of early injuries as a pro. Even Wentz stayed healthy the last 2 years after being labeled injury prone. I'd rather find out if he just had a stretch of bad luck in college while he's on a rookie contract than find out it's a trend as a pro after a big extension. 

One guy rehabbing on draft weekend one guy ready to play. That's all the difference in the world. Still a risk but at least DK could suit up for camps. We will agree to disagree.

Howie and the owner suck zzz

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

One guy rehabbing on draft weekend one guy ready to play. That's all the difference in the world. Still a risk but at least DK could suit up for camps. We will agree to disagree.

Obviously with S. Jones, things didn't work out. I liked the pick at the time. But he didn't seem to have the mental fight in him. Dickerson appears to be the opposite "type." I'm a lot more comfortable with him being in a very similar situation because of his mental toughness. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/2021-nfl-draft-player-profiles-alabama-oc-landon-dickerson/

2 Torn ACLs!!! Great personality ..but not to take him off your board at the top of the second round...is Criminal. Howie Sucks and Mr.L is complete idiot who should never be allowed near the draft room. If he accepts public funds..it is not HIS team to do with whatever he wants..Because no matter how much he wants to be like Jerry Jones..Mr. L knows nothing about drafting and he clearly has his fingerprints all over the first and second round. Steelers projected him as much later pick due to the red flags..that everyone can see except Eagles Management.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Dickerson did cartwheels at his Pro Day.

I like the pick in terms of the players ability but there seems to be some red flags. And to me I just don't know what they are thinking in terms of their defense. Poor Gannon.

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Would you rather he was getting pushed around in a wheelchair?

I just don't get this? Going with a player with 2 torn ACLs? I mean presumably he's not going to play much this year anyway because he's recovering from a torn ACL in December. 

• Like 1