ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

Just now, Traveler Vic said:

suffered a stroke while weightlifting that required multiple brain surgeries and ended his pursuit of a football career.

Well, looks like his career pursuit ain't ended alright.

Just now, EricAllenPick6 said:

That’s not him, that’s his brother 

Correct. That was his brother. 

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Sanders replacement

I thought that exact same thing when I saw the pick....

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Yes and I like getting a young RB to develop and mix in with Sanders.  Boston Scott has given a lot of hard work and doing his best but he's not a #2 back.  Having this kid mixed in with them and Howard (if they keep all 4?) is a good RB room.

Yeah, I like Scott as a depth guy, or as a starter against the Giants, but not higher than a 3 otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, opa-opa said:

He ended his career but is now in the NFL draft? Wut?

Sorry that was his brother , not him. My bad.

Just now, GeorgeM37 said:

Why? We clearly needed a #2 RB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infam said:

Well, looks like his career pursuit ain't ended alright.

His brother had stroke..not him. My bad.

Just now, GeorgeM37 said:

I honestly was joking. I have no clue about this prospect lol

Though if he stays healthy he'll have an edge

• Haha 1

Howie is again pretty much ignoring the D in this draft.

With that being said - other than that can’t complain about this pick - great value at this spot and did need to add another RB.

• Thanks 1

Apparently he's from Mississippi and is Fletcher Cox's cousin?

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

With that being said - other than that can’t complain about this pick - great value at this spot and did need to add another RB.

We couldn't fill all holes, so we focus on the offense and Hurts.

Four picks in the first two rounds next year will be all about defense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

His brother had stroke..not him. My bad.

Yeah just read that on his NFL profile.  :lol:  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenneth-gainwell/32004741-4960-6964-7702-692656fad861

Gainwell was the Mississippi Class 3A Mr. Football as a senior at Yazoo County High School. Memphis snapped him up in the 2018 class, though he decided to redshirt his freshman season after four games (four carries, 91 yards, 22.8, one touchdown; six receptions, 52 yards, 8.7 average) because he was stuck behind future pros Darrell Henderson, Patrick Taylor and Tony Pollard. Gainwell became the workhorse back in 2019, starting 13 of 14 games and garnering first-team All-American Athletic Conference and the AAC Rookie of the Year honors after rushing for 1,459 yards and 13 scores on 231 carries (6.3 per). He also was a valuable weapon as a receiver (51 receptions, 610 yards, 12.0 average, three touchdowns). He chose not to return to Memphis for the 2020 season amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Gainwell's brother, Curtis Jr., was attempting to walk on at Southern Mississippi but suffered a stroke while weightlifting that required multiple brain surgeries and ended his pursuit of a football career. -- by Chad Reuter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

I honestly was joking. I have no clue about this prospect lol

Though if he stays healthy he'll have an edge

Welp....first thing I thought was Sanders is frequently injured so this could be his replacement.....

Beats the hell out of the last pick lol. 

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Reports earlier in the offseason were Lurie wanted to build around Hurts to give him the weapons he needs and see if he's the long-term answer or not.  Lurie loves offense and wants to put up points.  They haven't invested enough in defense over the years and relied on trades and free agents, the guys they draft are mostly late round scrubs.

Hopefully with a lot of early picks next year including 3 in the 1st round, they take a defensive player in the 1st round.

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

12 players who make sense for the Eagles in Round 5 of the 2021 NFL Draft | PhillyVoice

PFF just said he may be the best receiving RB in the draft, but he is a project when it comes to pure running.

I agree with that assessment. This kid is a versatile weapon, can even line up in the slot or run some wildcat with him. 

9 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Gainwell's brother, Curtis Jr. had brain surgery. My Bad.

Yeah that was a big gaffe to throw out there. Lol

7 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

He’s immediately your 3rd down back. 

5 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

He got a highly athletic versatile lineman and a versatile secondary piece so far. And they still have 6 picks. 

3 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

Apparently he's from Mississippi and is Fletcher Cox's cousin?

So it was Fletch that had a stroke? 😥

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Reports earlier in the offseason were Lurie wanted to build around Hurts to give him the weapons he needs and see if he's the long-term answer or not.  Lurie loves offense and wants to put up points.  They haven't invested enough in defense over the years and relied on trades and free agents, the guys they draft are mostly late round scrubs.

Hopefully with a lot of early picks next year including 3 in the 1st round, they take a defensive player in the 1st round.

They did invest in the DL over the years. Just nowhere else on defense (except maybe Slay).

11 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Tough and productive as hell.

He took Micah parson's soul one time.

• Like 3