Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

6 hours ago, Freshmilk said:

Is that so?  I've seen other teams get them but the Eagles seem to be averse to such chicanery. 

Yeah….been awhile

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

French Polynesia - welcome to the board Freshmilk

Thanks but I've been here for a little while.  

Part of the reason has been players not being coached to track the ball, a sore spot of mine the past few yrs. 

18 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

Thanks but I've been here for a little while.  

Been really busy and on the road the past few mos, so haven't been on.

Well looks like Gannon system and goal is to create turnovers so hopefully that helps. Interesting that our two weakest areas over the last few years WR and CB we went out and got two coaches that supposedly specialize in those positions in HC Siri and DC Gannon 

Though I stand by the claim that I don’t think our CBS were as terrible as our ads under Schwartz made them look.. Still think a ton of it was Schwartz scheme that put a ton of pressure on the CBs and left them alone on islands a ton. 

22 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Though I stand by the claim that I don’t think our CBS were as terrible as our ads under Schwartz made them look.. Still think a ton of it was Schwartz scheme that put a ton of pressure on the CBs and left them alone on islands a ton. 

The drum I've been beating regarding Schwartz and Pederson is coaching/calling games to fit players skillet, which I don't think they did.  The new staff preaches coaching to player skillset more than to scheme.  I do think some players were asked to do things they aren't good at, but I also think that there is a lack of overall talent.  So while playing more of a zone for the DBs may better suit their ability, I don't think they will be much better than they were under Schwartz because they just aren't good enough to begin with.

1 minute ago, Freshmilk said:

I don't think they will be much better than they were under Schwartz because they just aren't good enough to begin with.

That possible with some but Slay was an all pro and drastically fell off I dont think that was age related but Schwartz scheme… Darby struggled here found success for DC with Ron again don’t think he lacked talent but was Schwartz… Douglas struggled found success playing for Carolina, Jones though his biggest thing is health had issues here but played decent for the Jags.

I don’t think Maddox is a bad player just used wrong, rest of the CBs don’t know enough about to make a real call on. 

I look at NYG they lacked way more talent on the D end they we did yet still fielded a respectable unit. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

That possible with some but Slay was an all pro and drastically fell off I dont think that was age related but Schwartz scheme… Darby struggled here found success for DC with Ron again don’t think he lacked talent but was Schwartz… Douglas struggled found success playing for Carolina, Jones though his biggest thing is health had issues here but played decent for the Jags.

I don’t think Maddox is a bad player just used wrong, rest of the CBs don’t know enough about to make a real call on. 

You won't get an argument from me about Schwartz and him cramming his scheme where it didn't belong.  Jones and Douglas had moments with the Jags and Panthers but their true colors were exposed with more playing time and teams attacking them.  Douglas is a #4-5 DB, Jones is a fringe NFL player. Darby played well when we first traded for him then the injuries came.  But he is a mid level talent, better than Jones and Douglas and most of what the Eagles have out on the field recently, but he is not that good of a player.  Of course, just my estimation of their talent levels.

3 minutes ago, Freshmilk said:

But he is a mid level talent, better than Jones and Douglas and most of what the Eagles have out on the field recently, but he is not that good of a player.  Of course, just my estimation of their talent levels.

I disagree with all of this… Douglas isn’t a shut down CB by any means but he definitely showed he can be starting caliber same with Jones if he stays healthy… Darby played in every game the last two season for Denver and Washington.

Again I don’t think it’s a lack of talent really it’s a lack of how to use the talent we have…. No team in the nfl has top tier all pros across the board and I don’t think there guys are so drastically better or more talented then ours 

When I think of lack of talent for the Eagles it’s the game changing my talent but that usually 1-3 guys per side…

Prime Fletch, Jenkins, Dawk, Asante etc. 

Look at the Rams it’s Donald and Ramsey they are game changers and see that across the league.

The other guys on units I don’t see a drastic difference in talent across the league really just how they are being used by teams that make the difference. 

Really see it as there are very very few guys that will just excel no matter what they are asked to do. 

1 hour ago, Freshmilk said:

The drum I've been beating regarding Schwartz and Pederson is coaching/calling games to fit players skillet, which I don't think they did.  The new staff preaches coaching to player skillset more than to scheme.  I do think some players were asked to do things they aren't good at, but I also think that there is a lack of overall talent.  So while playing more of a zone for the DBs may better suit their ability, I don't think they will be much better than they were under Schwartz because they just aren't good enough to begin with.

Seems like coaches always talk up the adapting to their players strengths scheming. But you can’t do that for all eleven. Gotta go with what’s the best fit overall for the given personnel. Why we saw much more Man coverage with Slay. Seems pretty obvious and clear Schwartz would have preferred to go Man more. If he had the quality corners he would have been able to blitz more.

PhillyVoice has a nice breakdown of Sua Opeta. Really showed better mobility than I originally thought. Admittedly that bar was extremely low for him. But I like how well he did on connecting while in the move. Him pulling and sealing was mostly text book. Have to think with that taste of experience and a whole offseason to build off that he’d become a very legitimate backup. I think I’d ride with him over Pryor at this point. The numbers game makes it tough to project Opeta on the roster. Don’t really want to just let him walk.

30 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

he had the quality corners he would have been able to blitz more.

Doubtful Schwartz has never really blitzed not what he does similar to his secondaries it’s based a ton on guys being one on one and you have to win those. Problem is this isn’t 10 years ago it’s harder to cover WR  more then ever QB play is vastly better and the league is catering to Os… 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

PhillyVoice has a nice breakdown of Sua Opeta. Really showed better mobility than I originally thought. Admittedly that bar was extremely low for him. But I like how well he did on connecting while in the move. Him pulling and sealing was mostly text book. Have to think with that taste of experience and a whole offseason to build off that he’d become a very legitimate backup. I think I’d ride with him over Pryor at this point. The numbers game makes it tough to project Opeta on the roster. Don’t really want to just let him walk.

He should not make the team unless he takes massive massive strides and beats out Herbig 

Dillard/Mailata/Kielce/Brooks/Lane/Semalo that is 6 guys already… Herbig/Driscoll/ Dickerson that is 9 to me that all we need… Opeta might take Clark spot if he is on the injured list to start the season but I’d image he gets a 10th spot if we opt to go with 10 guys 

The idea would be holding on to as many future players as possible. He’s 24. Showed some quality as a starter for a few games. Yeah….I remember him getting smoke also. But he easily fits into the category of could be a part of this team’s future for several years. We have some big choices to make regarding the bottom of the roster. Opeta we are trying to develop into quality backup level. Obviously potential starters would be more important.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

The idea would be holding on to as many future players as possible. He’s 24. Showed some quality as a starter for a few games. Yeah….I remember him getting smoke also. But he easily fits into the category of could be a part of this team’s future for several years. We have some big choices to make regarding the bottom of the roster. Opeta we are trying to develop into quality backup level. Obviously potential starters would be more important.

The idea is the roster is only so big and you already have 9 guys on top of that if you were going to keep a 10th guy that likely wouldn’t play a guy like Jurgia would make more sense with his position versatility being able to be a C and a G 

One offensive lineman gets injured or……I’ve been thinking trading Brooks makes sense. We have Dickerson, Herbig, Opeta and probably even Driscoll that could fight for that role. Pryor also. Just down on him right now. But if he focuses solely on playing RG….that’s his spot. Last year they trained him at LT….and everywhere. Probably not very fair to assess the guy based off of them putting him out of position.

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

One offensive lineman gets injured or……I’ve been thinking trading Brooks makes sense. We have Dickerson, Herbig, Opeta and probably even Driscoll that could fight for that role. Pryor also. Just down on him right now. But if he focuses solely on playing RG….that’s his spot. Last year they trained him at LT….and everywhere. Probably not very fair to assess the guy based off of them putting him out of position.

It’s fine if we traded Brooks or there is an injury because then that guys isn’t on the roster he is on IR or traded lol….  It keeping 10 OL is tough and personally think a waste of a roster spot. 

That 10th OL does nothing for the team and if there isn’t an injury he just sitting wasting that spot doesn’t even help on STs. 

And you just hit on the bigger point we have 3 guys that would be next in line ahead of Opeta in Dickerson/Herbig and Driscoll. Is Opeta really worth it at that point think you can make a case for another position being way more worthy and helps the team way more then the 10th OL guy 

It not so much I’m against Opeta as I’m against wasting that many spots on the OL if we can stash him on PS(along with Jurgia) would be the best case scenario in my mind but using active roster spot on him just doesn’t seem worth it to me… But I’ve always hated going heavy on the OL 

Seeing this 10 mil fine for Washington and hearing about this investigation makes me realize they HAD to hire Rivera as coach. If he wasn’t available I wonder who they go with?

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seeing this 10 mil fine for Washington and hearing about this investigation makes me realize they HAD to hire Rivera as coach. If he wasn’t available I wonder who they go with?

It was a meh coaching group in 2020 Ron  is really good coach but If he isn’t on the table… The Vikings OC who went to the browns I’d guess would be on the table, KC OC probably be up there.

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Seeing this 10 mil fine for Washington and hearing about this investigation makes me realize they HAD to hire Rivera

These two things have nothing had to do with each other… Hiring Ron had to do with one thing and one thing only he is a great coach 

Archived