Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

3 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Another day of debating Hurts lol 😂…. Think we all agree(outside of maybe ham) that Hurts need to show he can be an nfl caliber passer if he wants to stay as the long term option.

As of right now he has been below avg. and that just won’t cut it. 

Still think Shew is the better PASSING QB for this team and I hope if Hurts sucks we don't wait until the break to make a change. Despite Brown and Hurts being buddies the receivers will want stats.Their future careers(aka money) depend on them. For the last 2 years it seems Howie has put away his ego,stopped trying to outsmart himself, and go with the most talented player he can get. I hope the FO will let Siri make the QB change if it warrants it. It would need to be done early if we want to ensure a post season. Shew's last season under contract as well and I believe he will want to start somewhere,so we need to pick one and lose the other. Strong can be a good QB in time. He has the raw NFL skills 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Well to look at it on a different more positive note of our QB situation.
A.  Hurts which I do see as unlikely but we get to keep our picks 

B. We get a new rookie QB on a team friendly deal and have cap space to build around him for another 4 years.

C. We will throw the long shot in here as well some how Strong sees the fields and showcases he can be the guy. 

I like Shew and C lol. Send Hurts to the Ravens as a BU for Jackson. Similar styles except jax has an arm. I still would like to see Shew in a meaningful game,not vs the Jets. Both Hurts and Shew are BU's IMO,but shew is a much better passer and can read defenses. Re-sign Shew, trade Hurts, let Strong develop and still draft another QB next draft. My op is that would be the best for the teams future unless Hurts really lights it up passing. The question on that would be would you pay Shew big money? I would not,but if he would re-sign for a little raise in pay,I would let him compete with the others. From those 3(Shew,Strong,draft pick) you should be able to find your guy

1 hour ago, stine said:

Good reason for this. Eagles season is going to be decided by his play IMO. Seems that Howie did what was needed to fill in almost every other hole. I mean we have better WR's, better D-Line, Better LB's and better CB's. Only areas not addressed was RB and S. We even drafted a QB.....

Really loved Howies draft and off season acquisitions. As you said only S was back burnered. But we knew SOME position would have to wait. I had said we had 7 holes and 6 picks LOL,but 5/6 in one draft(assuming they all work out) is pretty nice!!!! I would even consider 4/6 a win and we still have time and I'm sure Howie is out scouting for a S to possibly add if the price is right. S and QB are the 2 real issues I see. I hope Bradberry works out to where we can sign him long term. Slay getting up there soon,so we still need to look at CB in a year or 2. I'm still banking on 10-11 wins and a post season win. If Dean can play even a few snaps early to see if he's good to go, I believe he will be a BEAST for us.For the first time since the SB,this team will be fun to watch!!! 

2 hours ago, stine said:

Good reason for this. Eagles season is going to be decided by his play IMO. Seems that Howie did what was needed to fill in almost every other hole. I mean we have better WR's, better D-Line, Better LB's and better CB's. Only areas not addressed was RB and S. We even drafted a QB.....

I'd go a step further and say that more than this season depends on Hurts... it's the big financial and possibly the decision involving the most draft capital as well.

24 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Still think Shew is the better PASSING QB for this team and I hope if Hurts sucks we don't wait until the break to make a change. 

Just curious....what is this " break" you keep referring to?    The other sports have an all star break, so do you mean the week 7 bye?   If so, do you really expect 6 games to be enough for a QB move.... after some easy opponents?

52 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Still think Shew is the better PASSING QB for this team and I hope if Hurts sucks we don't wait until the break to make a change. Despite Brown and Hurts being buddies the receivers will want stats.Their future careers(aka money) depend on them. For the last 2 years it seems Howie has put away his ego,stopped trying to outsmart himself, and go with the most talented player he can get. I hope the FO will let Siri make the QB change if it warrants it. It would need to be done early if we want to ensure a post season. Shew's last season under contract as well and I believe he will want to start somewhere,so we need to pick one and lose the other. Strong can be a good QB in time. He has the raw NFL skills 

If Hurts continues to run as often as he did last year, we may not have to wait..... Look at previous running QB's when was the last that made it thru 3 seasons?

32 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I'd go a step further and say that more than this season depends on Hurts... it's the big financial and possibly the decision involving the most draft capital as well.

Well, two points to this:

1) -  if Hurts proves to be a keeper, I still do not feel he deserves (or Will deserve) Watson, Rogers or Wilson type cash....

2) - Also, we will have plenty of draft capital to fill in holes to make for Cap space.

So either way we should be OK. Some aging Vets will most likely need to go to make room for the younger players.... Cox, Graham, Kelce, Johnson and maybe others... I am sure allot depends on performance, so Howie will have his work cut out for him.....

Thinking somewhere around 30-34 mil per year average is a solid offer should he work out OK.... 4-5 year deal...

53 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Just curious....what is this " break" you keep referring to?    The other sports have an all star break, so do you mean the week 7 bye?   If so, do you really expect 6 games to be enough for a QB move.... after some easy opponents?

Bye week. If he plays as a run only/run first/can't find the receivers QB,yes I would make the move. If he can't handle the easy opponents,he won't handle the tough ones

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Bye week. If he plays as a run only/run first/can't find the receivers QB,yes I would make the move. If he can't handle the easy opponents,he won't handle the tough ones

Well, I would think they would be 3-3 at the bye, so I doubt any QB change will happen that soon. However, if they are 1-5 I could easily see a QB change assuming he is struggling...

1 hour ago, stine said:

Thinking somewhere around 30-34 mil per year average is a solid offer should he work out OK.... 4-5 year deal...

That's still the highest paid player on the team by far.   It's the huge issue with the planning of this team going forward... not just this year.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

So where I am at... I don't expect Hurts to be bad like you are saying here.    My issue is that he may not be good.  I think so so play by the QB gets you your 10-12 wins.    That's why I don't see any moves.  The question to me is if at the end of the season do they decide to pay him based on what they see... not if they need to replace him with the current guys. 

58 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, I would think they would be 3-3 at the bye, so I doubt any QB change will happen that soon. However, if they are 1-5 I could easily see a QB change assuming he is struggling...

Man would 3-3 at the bye week be disappointing!    They should be favored in all of those games. 

1 hour ago, stine said:

Yeah,IDK how he can fail really. Even I would look good with the line-up we have. I just don't want to see mediocrity. By week 3 he should be slinging this all over the field

17 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

So where I am at... I don't expect Hurts to be bad like you are saying here.    My issue is that he may not be good.  I think so so play by the QB gets you your 10-12 wins.    That's why I don't see any moves.  The question to me is if at the end of the season do they decide to pay him based on what they see... not if they need to replace him with the current guys. 

IDK where their bar is set. With the easy teams(again) we should not see mediocre. Now what they set their bar at I don't know,but if they see "more of the same" and Howie keeps saying "throw the ball" and he doesn't do that,then I could see them throwing in the towel like they did Wentz(sans the attitude). So it depends on what stats,factors or whatever they need to see. By the bye week we should have a fairly good idea of what Hurts gained on in the offseason. if he's missing open guys and missing passes,then IMO we should not wait past that bye,or maybe talk to him on the bye and give him week 8. I assume he has improved as a passer and he has the weapons,so anything resembling mediocre would be cause for me to say "nope we gotta keep looking"

Hurts ranked roughly around QB 16/32(for whatever value you put on rank lists besides the moron Simms lol). If I am going to invest 4 years and 30+ million per year(120+ milliion) 16 is not good enough. I need a top 10 to open the check book,but that is just me

IDK where their bar is set. With the easy teams(again) we should not see mediocre. Now what they set their bar at I don't know,but if they see "more of the same" and Howie keeps saying "throw the ball" and he doesn't do that,then I could see them throwing in the towel like they did Wentz(sans the attitude). So it depends on what stats,factors or whatever they need to see. By the bye week we should have a fairly good idea of what Hurts gained on in the offseason. if he's missing open guys and missing passes,then IMO we should not wait past that bye,or maybe talk to him on the bye and give him week 8. I assume he has improved as a passer and he has the weapons,so anything resembling mediocre would be cause for me to say "nope we gotta keep looking"

Ok... I'm just saying this one time... Hurts isn't getting replaced during the season... for many reasons.   Certainly not 6 games where they could go 5-1 without really needing him to excel.  We know he can game manage vs the bad teams.  No need to be gunslinger vs Detroit and Jax etc.    Forget " Shew" ... the ideal situation is he gets traded because of how they perceive Strong.   I know there is this itch for you to see him play... pretend it's the chicken pox and don't think about scratching it.  

Hurts ranked roughly around QB 16/32(for whatever value you put on rank lists besides the moron Simms lol). If I am going to invest 4 years and 30+ million per year(120+ milliion) 16 is not good enough. I need a top 10 to open the check book,but that is just me

Correct...but 16 isn't going to get him benched for " Shew"    one full year of seeing this kid play and the full improvement vs the good teams.  October will not be " Shew " time. 

It's about if next offseason is " shew shew go away " time for Hurts. 

3 hours ago, stine said:

I don’t see this being the case sure it would be what we want but I don’t see Hurts and his agent going for it. If he plays well enough to be in the talks for a contract extension to be the franchise guy. He will be looking for that 40+m a year range. 

that will still be in the lower end of QB money. Once you add Lamar new deal and Kyler Murray, Hebert, Burrow will be coming up as well. 

Wow Siri is giving up play calling our primary play caller will be our OC Steichen. 

Not saying it is a bad thing but am shocked rare to see offensive minded HC give up play calling nowadays 

8 hours ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Well to look at it on a different more positive note of our QB situation.
A.  Hurts which I do see as unlikely but we get to keep our picks 

B. We get a new rookie QB on a team friendly deal and have cap space to build around him for another 4 years.

C. We will throw the long shot in here as well some how Strong sees the fields and showcases he can be the guy. 

Or arguably the most likely D: adding a veteran proven QB upgrade.

52 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ok... I'm just saying this one time... Hurts isn't getting replaced during the season... for many reasons.   Certainly not 6 games where they could go 5-1 without really needing him to excel.  We know he can game manage vs the bad teams.  No need to be gunslinger vs Detroit and Jax etc.    Forget " Shew" ... the ideal situation is he gets traded because of how they perceive Strong.   I know there is this itch for you to see him play... pretend it's the chicken pox and don't think about scratching it.  

Saying this one time, if Hurts sucks rocks he is gone before the year ends. If he isn't getting Brown,Smith,Quez and Goedert the stats, we need to find the guy that will or guys won't want to play here again and I would like to see Shew and Strong both play in garbage time

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Or arguably the most likely D: adding a veteran proven QB upgrade.

So who out there is a BU upgrade over Shew? Mayfield?

Archived