Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

8 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

SO the QB isn't developing SQUAT. Smith thrived from day 1 and Quez has been here for a few years and has a better understanding of the offense,the QB had ZERO to do with development. Reagor was the 1 trick pony I said he was from the beginning and the coaches can't develop him.Once again has nothing to do with Hurts. eventually they can get a chemistry going which is the WR knowing how the QB operates

Quez few is two years. The offense was brand new. Everybody was year one in that.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

yes I remember the long posts about me for JJ and you for Reagor and I knew Reagor was trash and overrated and a 1 trick pony, but Howie listened to you and here we are.

Me too,dude is a riot

I wanted to trade back in a large class of good WR. AR and Pedey offense need an outside speed guy. That’s why Pedey overpaid Kirk to get down to Jax. Especially when you have the TEs thriving already.

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Quez few is two years. The offense was brand new. Everybody was year one in that.

Right,so no development from the QB as I said. Hurts did NOT take a "leadership role" in developing anyone. year 3,should be a break out year for both Hurts and Quez. Any development came from the coaching staff. Smith was already NFL ready and brown is also,so no excuses for Hurts now. HE is the one who needs to develop as a Qb and as a passer

12 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

LOL that has zero to do with if the trade is made or not-ZERO. That is a FO decision not the coaches

Coaches usually get a say. Especially when a coach has previously coached that particular player.

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right,so no development from the QB as I said. Hurts did NOT take a "leadership role" in developing anyone. year 3,should be a break out year for both Hurts and Quez. Any development came from the coaching staff. Smith was already NFL ready and brown is also,so no excuses for Hurts now. HE is the one who needs to develop as a Qb and as a passer

Think all of them need to develop as individuals and gel as teammates together.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

Coaches usually get a say. Especially when a coach has previously coached that particular player.

It's on the FO. no matter who they ask opinions of, so if they made the trade,the FO did it not Ped

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Think all of them need to develop as individuals and gel as teammates together.

Brown doesn't need developed but he will help Smith develop, which again has nothing to do with Hurts. Hurts needs to develop into the QB we want to sign for the next 5 years. Our WR's are fine (Shenault would add another dimension). Hoping to see TE 2 emerge from the group we have

From Martin Frank;

Hurts spent much of the offseason working with coaches in various states around the country, including Tom House in California. The Eagles' intention is to become more of a passing team after switching to primarily a run-based offense midway through the season.

Worked on his mechanics with House. Was working with AJ and coercing him into coming to Philly.

Been out hanging out with teammates all around.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

the simplest answer is probably the answer.

This seems like a departure from the norm for you though.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

It's on the FO. no matter who they ask opinions of, so if they made the trade,the FO did it not Ped

If we trade Reagor to Jax....you can bet Doug has say in that.   Any GM with half a brain would consult a coach on a player that he already coached. 

35 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Worked on his mechanics with House. Was working with AJ and coercing him into coming to Philly.

Been out hanging out with teammates all around.

Absolutely.... only reason he can fail at this point is if he just doesn't have the passing skills at the current NFL level.  He put in the work...all the relationships are there... anything else you could ask for... it will come down to his ability to pass.    If that is there, nobody can find a reason why Hurts shouldn't thrive in his current situation.   

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

consult a coach on a player that he already coached. 

Right,CONSULT,the DECISION is the FO's

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Right,CONSULT,the DECISION is the FO's

Final... but we all know if Reagor goes to Jax that it's pretty much because of Doug.   All technicalities aside.

20 hours ago, joemas6 said:

There we go... something needed to take responsibility from the players.  Our young DC in demand for a head coaching job could hurt us as compared to all the other DCs that are top head coaching candidates. 

Not so sure he was going to get any head coaching job to be honest. Sure there was interest, but he only rec'd one second interview with the Texans. He did OK last year considering what he had to work with. Let's see how he does this year, now that he has so many more pieces to play with. Should he get this defense to a top 5, then I am sure he will generate much more interest. My question is, was it so much his coaching or the insufficiencies of the offense to move the ball? Yes, we could run it, but our pass offense stunk last year. Also, we need to take into account the offenses we were playing. How many top QB's did our defense face?

16 hours ago, joemas6 said:

And yet again....the question is simple.  Can he see the field and make a throw on the current NFL level.    That is the question.   You keep pointing out all the other stuff that we know and all agree won't be a problem.  

If he doesn't get his contract it's not going to be for lack of trying, lack of knowledge,lack of anything else...  except that he simply can't do the 2 fundamental things that are paramount to the position of QB. 

His lack of knowledge is suspect. He never gets to his 2nd or 3rd reads. How many times did we have wide open WR's he flat ignored? Smith was caught shaking his head numerous times after plays he forced to a covered receiver when he was wide open. Seems he did not have the knowledge if you ask me.....

7 minutes ago, stine said:

Not so sure he was going to get any head coaching job to be honest. Sure there was interest, but he only rec'd one second interview with the Texans. He did OK last year considering what he had to work with. Let's see how he does this year, now that he has so many more pieces to play with. Should he get this defense to a top 5, then I am sure he will generate much more interest. My question is, was it so much his coaching or the insufficiencies of the offense to move the ball? Yes, we could run it, but our pass offense stunk last year. Also, we need to take into account the offenses we were playing. How many top QB's did our defense face?

I'm taking all the teams we play into consideration.  Our 17 games.   Looking at ALL aspects of those teams. 

You look at those teams ( all of their aspects)   its hard to find many that run the ball as good as us ( look at OL) the ones that do run it as well,  how do they look as far as receiving weapons? 

On the flip side...  how many teams will have the DL that we do, do those teams also have Slay, Bradberry and Maddox to cover?    

How many of our 17 opponents have all those things to our level?  OL, weapons, DL and CBs?

I don't think many, so we know the aspects that could hold us back are the other things.   Mainly the one big position.   As a few media members are now pointing out, if it weren't for the question about the QB, we would be talking SB odds, not just NFC East.

13 minutes ago, stine said:

His lack of knowledge is suspect. He never gets to his 2nd or 3rd reads. How many times did we have wide open WR's he flat ignored? Smith was caught shaking his head numerous times after plays he forced to a covered receiver when he was wide open. Seems he did not have the knowledge if you ask me.....

He has the knowledge to know he needs to make improvements on the reading of the defense and seeing the field.   Can he do it, that's another story. I'm sure most of the earth's population knows they would need to be able to make quick decisions under pressure,  but there is a reason only a select few can do it at the high level required to play pro sports,  let alone the elite of the elite that are the NFL QBs.  

This is where Ham and I probably disagree on some things regarding QBs.   He loves the running QB and the college game.   I don't see that working in the pro game.  Not where the QB runs 17 times in a game or where it's his best attribute.   I see it as one vs eleven when the QB runs.   I see it preventing the other players from touching the ball and I see the effects where long term we may not see the effort in getting open, the reps in catching the ball and the big obstacle for the running QB is when he throws an incomplete pass on a play where he could have run for 10 yards instead.

I'm looking big picture on the bulk of the plays.  Ham is looking at one play where the defense has to account for the running QB.   I agree with that, but I feel the QB can rely on that too much where it stunts the growth of the rest of his game, namely spending time to make reads and throws.   

Why would a QB whose been able to run away from everyone his whole life and do it on his own all of a sudden change his game, when that game got him to the league and millions of dollars?    

When a good defense with top athletes... ( notice the plural athletes) decides to stop that QB from running, it changes the whole mindset. So far those QBs have struggled in playoff games.    

And I'm not talking about great passing QBs that can run, I'm talking about the guys where running is their go to move.

5 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Final... but we all know if Reagor goes to Jax that it's pretty much because of Doug.   All technicalities aside.

I can't rule this trade out though. 2 different types of WR's, so maybe Jax FO feels they need that 1 trick speed pony. Maybe they had him high on their board that draft. IDK. I would be fine with this trade. Shenault would offer a different set of slot plays for us

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

This is where Ham and I probably disagree on some things regarding QBs.   He loves the running QB and the college game.   I don't see that working in the pro game.  Not where the QB runs 17 times in a game or where it's his best attribute.   I see it as one vs eleven when the QB runs.   I see it preventing the other players from touching the ball and I see the effects where long term we may not see the effort in getting open, the reps in catching the ball and the big obstacle for the running QB is when he throws an incomplete pass on a play where he could have run for 10 yards instead.

I'm looking big picture on the bulk of the plays.  Ham is looking at one play where the defense has to account for the running QB.   I agree with that, but I feel the QB can rely on that too much where it stunts the growth of the rest of his game, namely spending time to make reads and throws.   

Why would a QB whose been able to run away from everyone his whole life and do it on his own all of a sudden change his game, when that game got him to the league and millions of dollars?    

When a good defense with top athletes... ( notice the plural athletes) decides to stop that QB from running, it changes the whole mindset. So far those QBs have struggled in playoff games.    

And I'm not talking about great passing QBs that can run, I'm talking about the guys where running is their go to move.

And I will mention that QB's that run have shorter careers. I did not look up stats(because it's hard to define "running QB"). QB's who run seem to get hurt often(remember Wentz?) jackson was out for the ravens alot,so I feel running by the QB just sets him up to get hammered and taken out of games/season. So that "selfish" move actually puts your team at risk as far as how deep you can go with the W's and L's. And while they are fun to watch,it really doesn't help your team long term

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

I see it preventing the other players from touching the ball and I see the effects where long term we may not see the effort in getting open,

Yeah,trying to explain to Ham that Hurts has not developed any WR, and I explained why in a previous post. WR's who play hard and expend energy tp get open,only to have the QB not see him is very demoralizing. A few "good reads" would have easily put Smith over 1,000. So for me this means the development part is on the QB,not the other way around. "Developing" a WR is different than "getting the play down" together. A QB who develops WR's will challenge them to run more difficult routes and Hurts still has problems getting them the ball on simple routes(if he sees them at all). Howie did a fine job in a short time to give Hurts all he needs. QB is the only real question left(we understand we need S help,but ran out of draft picks LOL)

PS,if this team comes together quickly,we will be making some noise with the easy schedule. Hope fully we play all these teams at full strength which will better prepare us for any post season play should we get there(I believe we WILL get there) Sticking with 10-11 wins. Certainly not out of the question. Some losses may come early as we "gel" but by the break we should be a fairly tight fitting machine

Archived