Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

I haven’t even seen that we brought in any competition at P.

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

I believe some of the definition of what an NFL QB is….and can be….has changed. Some are still stuck in such a traditional thinking. The pass rushers are such incredible athletes now. Game has evolved so much. LBing is faster than ever. When Trotter lost a step and was obviously not capable of playing anymore. He would look like that day one in the league now. Having a tough QB to bring down is needed. Hurts really has a strong lower body that doesn’t make him the usual old QB to bring down. Now that we have a legitimate WR room his passing will improve. The days of seeing a guy with a strong arm and calling him QB are long gone. Too much to the job for thinking that is all that’s needed.

You can change whatever you want... the main role by definition of quarterback is to get everyone else involved.... a point guard who " quarterbacks the offense "...  the hockey player who " quarterbacks the power play"...  the midfielder in soccer who " quarterbacks the offense "  ... in the business world when there is a person who " quarterbacks the presentation.

You can change all the fluff that you want for fantasy football and to justify regular season running stats for Lamar, Murray, and whoever else is in the league due to their running...  but until the QB actually plays QB, he isn't going to win anything when it matters.

Thar fluff stuff doesn't work on Sundays in January vs a top NFL team.  One guy isn't going to beat 11.  He needs to get his teammates involved.  That's means passing the football. 

Siposs only P listed. Maybe one of the 13 CB's is a punter - lol!

6 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

BTW besides a punter, it would not bother me if we picked up another FA RB. Be nice to have Sanders, Scott, Gainwell and that 4th reliable back as a CYA pick up while we sort the younger guys out

But the definition of punter has changed...you are too old school in your thinking 🤣 ...you need mobility in your punter today.

Actually in reality...your punter needs to hold... old school used to have the QBs hold.  

Andy Reid Says Starting QBs Need About 4 Years

Reid has been watching Jalen Hurts from afar and likes what he sees. The Kansas City honcho talked to Hurts after his Chiefs beat the Eagles 42-30 in Week 4 of the 2021 season. He walked away impressed with Hurts’ will to succeed.

"He sincerely wants to do well and that’s the start,” Reid said. "That’s the foundation, and with that, and with the coaching he’s getting from Nick [Sirianni], I mean, that’s going to take place. And everybody just needs to hang with him and Nick will deflect some of the [media] stuff you have to deflect from the public until he feels like he’s grounded all the way, and then he flies from there.”

According to Reid, it takes about four years for a new starting quarterback to get comfortable in a system. He went through that process with Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia. And with Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City.

"So, they’re in that process,” Reid said. "The one thing that you’ve got there is a guy who’s willing to work hard and he wants to be great. That’s what he wants.”

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

But the definition of punter has changed...you are too old school in your thinking 🤣 ...you need mobility in your punter today.

Actually in reality...your punter needs to hold... old school used to have the QBs hold.  

As yes,I appreciate you pointing out that error 

Spoiler

:worthy:

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

We added this RB Kennedy Brooks, reading he's a tough runner

Yeah,but he is a rook UDFA. I was thinking Johnson as 1-2 year thing as we sort through them for any keepers

3 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Siposs only P listed. Maybe one of the 13 CB's is a punter - lol!

Probably no worse HAHAHAHA

2 hours ago, mjkline1958 said:

Andy Reid Says Starting QBs Need About 4 Years

Reid has been watching Jalen Hurts from afar and likes what he sees. The Kansas City honcho talked to Hurts after his Chiefs beat the Eagles 42-30 in Week 4 of the 2021 season. He walked away impressed with Hurts’ will to succeed.

"He sincerely wants to do well and that’s the start,” Reid said. "That’s the foundation, and with that, and with the coaching he’s getting from Nick [Sirianni], I mean, that’s going to take place. And everybody just needs to hang with him and Nick will deflect some of the [media] stuff you have to deflect from the public until he feels like he’s grounded all the way, and then he flies from there.”

According to Reid, it takes about four years for a new starting quarterback to get comfortable in a system. He went through that process with Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia. And with Patrick Mahomes in Kansas City.

"So, they’re in that process,” Reid said. "The one thing that you’ve got there is a guy who’s willing to work hard and he wants to be great. That’s what he wants.”

(hint: Mahomes can throw the deep ball). He also goes through multiple reads every down. Hurts won'[t ever have item 1,we are hoping he has item 2. You can win without item 1,but it requires supreme accuracy which we need to see from Hurts also(ok, so 3 items.I am checking out now) lol

8 hours ago, joemas6 said:

You can change whatever you want... the main role by definition of quarterback is to get everyone else involved.... a point guard who " quarterbacks the offense "...  the hockey player who " quarterbacks the power play"...  the midfielder in soccer who " quarterbacks the offense "  ... in the business world when there is a person who " quarterbacks the presentation.

You can change all the fluff that you want for fantasy football and to justify regular season running stats for Lamar, Murray, and whoever else is in the league due to their running...  but until the QB actually plays QB, he isn't going to win anything when it matters.

Thar fluff stuff doesn't work on Sundays in January vs a top NFL team.  One guy isn't going to beat 11.  He needs to get his teammates involved.  That's means passing the football. 

You mean like Smitty having a great rookie season. Goedert going for a career season. Quez having a huge breakout season. All the RBs associated were successful. Thing is….”getting every one else involved”…..starts way before you step foot on the field. This QB gets that.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

You mean like Smitty having a great rookie season. Goedert going for a career season. Quez having a huge breakout season. All the RBs associated were successful. Thing is….”getting every one else involved”…..starts way before you step foot on the field. This QB gets that.

This QB hasn't done that.   He can get it all he wants...but hasn't proven to be able to do it yet.  Passing not running.

https://footballadvantage.com/3-3-5-defense/  Speed,versatility are required and it seems to me those are the players we drafted/picked up. CB's need to be fine on "islands" and Slay and Bradberry can handle that,so I would look to see if this D is utilized, even if it's not the primary (standard) defense we employ. Running a 34 and tossing in the 335 seems like a real possibility. Need to have a quick nickel back also

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2022 at 12:40 PM, joemas6 said:

I would say losing Graham was huge.   I Aldo say that DL depth is a huge factor because you can get guys tired and it effects their pass rush.    Adding Graham and Reddick ( 2 top NFL pass rushers ,plus a big dude in the middle taking away run snaps from Cox and Hargrave... that going to help for sure.  Adding Jernigan, Long and Barnett helped that 2016 group jump nicely in 2017.

But again...who are we playing that has a better pass rush?

Well, first you need to figure out how many more sacks the eagles will gain with a healthy Graham and Reddick additions. Graham is 34. Will he make thru the season? IF so, these two will help. Now they had a whopping total of 29 sacks last year. Adding these two should improve that total. But how much? They will be taking time away from others so you cannot just add their sack total to the team's total of last year to figure out a new total. How many sacks will Davis get? He has not rushed the passer at all in college, so it will take time for him.

Pittsburgh was #1 in team sacks last year. Minnesota was #2. NO was #8. Arizona - 13, Dallas - 14 and GB was 18.  So I would say all of these except probably Dallas will have a better pass rush. Dallas lost some key pieces....

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2022 at 12:44 PM, joemas6 said:

I would say our RBs are average too....yet some feel Miles Sanders is an elite talent.    Those people should have confidence in this team if they truly feel he is that good.

You  always say go by the eye test. Well, I see them as average at best. Hurts and the O-Line makes them appear better. Miles cannot stay healthy, so you cannot count on him, even if you feel he might be elite.....

2 minutes ago, stine said:

You  always say go by the eye test. Well, I see them as average at best. Hurts and the O-Line makes them appear better. Miles cannot stay healthy, so you cannot count on him, even if you feel he might be elite.....

Why I feel we will add another vet RB. Scott is OK,not as good as Sanders. gains should see lot more snaps now,but I would like that short yardage BU type like David Johnson. IDK if Jordan Howard is any good anymore.He's  worn the tread off his tires. yeah we got a basher back UDFA,but he's not going to have an impact year 1

9 minutes ago, stine said:

Well, first you need to figure out how many more sacks the eagles will gain with a healthy Graham and Reddick additions. Graham is 34. Will he make thru the season? IF so, these two will help. Now they had a whopping total of 29 sacks last year. Adding these two should improve that total. But how much? They will be taking time away from others so you cannot just add their sack total to the team's total of last year to figure out a new total. How many sacks will Davis get? He has not rushed the passer at all in college, so it will take time for him.

Pittsburgh was #1 in team sacks last year. Minnesota was #2. NO was #8. Arizona - 13, Dallas - 14 and GB was 18.  So I would say all of these except probably Dallas will have a better pass rush. Dallas lost some key pieces....

Agree... probably 4 teams out of the 17 we play will have a better pass rush.

I think that GB back up RB is also available -Richards????

Washington will probably be as good as Philly. Giants added help there also. Not sure where they land, but probably real close to Philly's total.

8 minutes ago, stine said:

Agreed again... but also, there are people that feel Sanders is elite.   On the point of the QB ... they ran the ball more than fine the 2 games without the running QB.    So with that, we seem to agree it being mainly the OL.   Again I would ask you ....how many teams we play run the ball as well as us?   Out of the 17 games won't be many.

4 minutes ago, stine said:

Washington will probably be as good as Philly. Giants added help there also. Not sure where they land, but probably real close to Philly's total.

Agreed...  wondering how many of these teams with equal or better pass rush have the guys like Slay, Bradberry and Maddox to cover too?

Archived