Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

He has the knowledge to know he needs to make improvements on the reading of the defense and seeing the field.   Can he do it, that's another story. I'm sure most of the earth's population knows they would need to be able to make quick decisions under pressure,  but there is a reason only a select few can do it at the high level required to play pro sports,  let alone the elite of the elite that are the NFL QBs.  

What? He has knowledge to know he needs knowledge of how to read defenses? My guess is he needs knowledge period. Or at least he did last year....

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I can't rule this trade out though. 2 different types of WR's, so maybe Jax FO feels they need that 1 trick speed pony. Maybe they had him high on their board that draft. IDK. I would be fine with this trade. Shenault would offer a different set of slot plays for us

Or Doug wants Reagor?   As surprising as it may seem?     

4 hours ago, joemas6 said:

He has the knowledge to know he needs to make improvements on the reading of the defense and seeing the field.   Can he do it, that's another story. I'm sure most of the earth's population knows they would need to be able to make quick decisions under pressure,  but there is a reason only a select few can do it at the high level required to play pro sports,  let alone the elite of the elite that are the NFL QBs.  

What 23 year old couldn’t use to improve in these areas?

1 hour ago, stine said:

What? He has knowledge to know he needs knowledge of how to read defenses? My guess is he needs knowledge period. Or at least he did last year....

He knows he needs to read defenses better...  doesn't mean he will be able to do it.  Some guys just don't have the ability.   Plus it's not just the reading of the defense, it's the ability to make the throws.

Look... you put a dude in there that can't run like Hurts, that guy has to learn this stuff from pop Warner.   That developed over the years to where that guy has the ability to both make a quick decision and a strong accurate throw on a consistent basis.      Other guys who haven't had to do that every play in order to succeed,all of a sudden come into a league and need to develop these particular skills.   It's not easy. 

I'm sure you can take a lot of people who can just throw the football.   But seeing the field and making the throws under pressure from 4 or 5 guys looking to hurt you.... not everyone can do it.    But it's not hard to understand that they realize they have to be able to do it.

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

What 23 year old couldn’t use to improve in these areas?

Absolutely... again, nobody questions the desire here.... nor the fact he should improve.    What remains to be seen is if he can improve significantly enough to earn the next contract. 

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Or Doug wants Reagor?   As surprising as it may seem?     

Cool, make the trade LOL

41 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Cool, make the trade LOL

Lol... most likely Doug is saying no.   

Kempski trying to come up w/ a cop for Davis - can't find one. Can't wait to see him on the field

3 hours ago, joemas6 said:

Lol... most likely Doug is saying no.   

Smarter than we thought LOL

P: Arryn Siposs vs. some other punter not already on the roster

Siposs was one of the league's worst punters in 2022. How have the Eagles not brought in competition for him yet? Four teams selected punters in the 2022 NFL Draft, so the Birds could be waiting for a punter from one of those teams to shake free, or maybe they could be mining the USFL? But even if that's the case, why wouldn't they at least want to take a look at an additional punter in the meantime?

#JimmySays: They're not actually going to let Siposs run unopposed in camp again, are they?

See all you haters? Even Kempski is concerned like I was when you laughed at me

19 hours ago, joemas6 said:

He knows he needs to read defenses better...  doesn't mean he will be able to do it.  Some guys just don't have the ability.   Plus it's not just the reading of the defense, it's the ability to make the throws.

Look... you put a dude in there that can't run like Hurts, that guy has to learn this stuff from pop Warner.   That developed over the years to where that guy has the ability to both make a quick decision and a strong accurate throw on a consistent basis.      Other guys who haven't had to do that every play in order to succeed,all of a sudden come into a league and need to develop these particular skills.   It's not easy. 

I'm sure you can take a lot of people who can just throw the football.   But seeing the field and making the throws under pressure from 4 or 5 guys looking to hurt you.... not everyone can do it.    But it's not hard to understand that they realize they have to be able to do it.

Point is Hurts did not have the knowledge to read defenses last year. If he did we are in serious trouble.......

OK last call for anyone who wants in my private fantasy league(won't cost you a dime). Send me your email in messages on here.; Getting ready to fire up season 19

2 hours ago, stine said:

Point is Hurts did not have the knowledge to read defenses last year. If he did we are in serious trouble.......

Point is, he didn't have the ability to read the defense quickly and to make the throws consistently. 

44 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Point is, he didn't have the ability to read the defense quickly and to make the throws consistently. 

If you say so. not worth discussing any longer......  My opinion is he couldn't read defenses pre snap, so he did not know who to go to. He read his #1 WR and if not open he tucked the ball and ran or forced it...

18 minutes ago, stine said:

If you say so. not worth discussing any longer......  My opinion is he couldn't read defenses pre snap, so he did not know who to go to. He read his #1 WR and if not open he tucked the ball and ran or forced it...

Pre snap to me is the first read.   The issue that I saw was when the first read wasn't there.   That's the reaction that the NFL QBs have to have better than the normal pro athlete,  let alone the regular person.  Can you adjust on the fly in 2 seconds when 4 or 5 guys are chasing you.

The pre snap stuff is all that RPO...lock in one reading one defender and react.    

I think we both can agree the main issue with " reading " the defense for Hurts was post snap when option 1 from his pre snap read was taken away ... he runs far too often in that scenario instead of having the " ability" to go quickly through the progression and then make a throw.

You can coach someone on pre snap reads.  Follow stuff to the letter.   We all know that's not how the game works.  It's never always on a schedule.  Missed blocks, a deceptive blitz,  a jam at the line, a WR stumbling or delayed, or a defender switching spots after the snap.   

That's where instinct and ability need to take over.   As of now, Hurts ability to run is his go to...  and what I'm saying is that ability to run has also worked against his development as a natural QB because instead of staying in the pocket or at least behind the line and looking for the options after pre snap.... he just runs for yards.  

Can that change?  Idk...but it's an uphill battle for guys who have that ability to run for yards instead...and are in the league due to that running.  For him to really evolve,  he is going to have to sacrifice his running.  Not give it up totally, but avoid doing it so often. Take the lumps, take the failure to convert passing the ball instead of just running for it.   That will be a challenge. 

But I think it's obvious he knows that his weakness is exactly that reading of the defense post snap,finding the open guy after 1st read and then making that throw.  The question that remains is if he will develop that ability to do so.

You read what defense is in. Then, based on that defense, you look at a specific man and see where he goes. Then you know where to throw the ball. Normally the read is the safety. Hurts could not read the defense and recognize who to go to based on that defense. Sure it can be taught, but he has been here for 2 years now and should know it by heart.... KNOWLEDGE

1 minute ago, stine said:

You read what defense is in. Then, based on that defense, you look at a specific man and see where he goes. Then you know where to throw the ball. Normally the read is the safety. Hurts could not read the defense and recognize who to go to based on that defense. Sure it can be taught, but he has been here for 2 years now and should know it by heart.... KNOWLEDGE

And so in your game it's ALL pre snap and you have one option....that's it?  Nothing changes during the play where that one guy doesn't get open?

There is never a progression of routes... first read, second read etc????   All pre snap and look at the safety?   

I actually agree somewhat when it's pop Warner, maybe a few other amateur levels... not in the NFL.  A QB needs to go through multiple reads quickly in the NFL AFTER the snap.

6 minutes ago, stine said:

So in your mind Hurts made up his mind to run PRE SNAP?     It wasn't due to his first option not being there after the snap?    If that is your thoughts then we see the game absolutely differently. 

Archived