Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I was hoping our first WR pick to be well rounded in all game phases,but Reagor is a speed only guy,so we need to plan around that.maybe Wentz rolls out on those plays where reagors side is vulnerable or Goedert covers the blocking over there on that play

Or if Reager is downfield.... then that side will be open?   2 ways to look at it.  I think we needed the guy to go deep.   We needed more than one guy to go deep... heck .. send them all deep and give Ertz and Sanders more room to work with underneath and I think we will be more than fine.  

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Right ... but hey .... lets keep pushing the fight for the last spot... further and further down... one more seed and we are at hockey and basketball levels. 

The NFL keeps trying to reinvent the wheel and there is no doubt in my mind that they will eventually ruin the goose the laid the golden egg. Greed will do that and human beings are known for greed. Its bred in the soul.  

Can't remember a time when the Eagles had two wide receivers that could stretch the field simultaneously. Should be interesting to watch. They could even end up with a 4.3 receiver in the slot. Just for one time in my life I would like to see the Eagles as the trend setters in the league and let the rest of the teams in the NFL try to catch up to them. LOL  

7 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

IDK... my guess is the opposing team would take out Cox before they would Barnett.  you can look up all the sacks stats you want.   DEs are supposed to get sacks... but i'm looking forward to Barnett stepping up to where they actually try to double team him once.  Would be awesome for us if we could force them to use 4 blockers on 2 guys.  Since we already know they will be using 2 on Cox for most of his snaps.   

Well if you get your way with Cox having reduced snaps this year the opposing teams won't have to waste 2 blockers on one man. 

14 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Or if Reager is downfield.... then that side will be open?   2 ways to look at it.  I think we needed the guy to go deep.   We needed more than one guy to go deep... heck .. send them all deep and give Ertz and Sanders more room to work with underneath and I think we will be more than fine.  

Gotta be the plan now,no choice

10 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Can't remember a time when the Eagles had two wide receivers that could stretch the field simultaneously. Should be interesting to watch. They could even end up with a 4.3 receiver in the slot. Just for one time in my life I would like to see the Eagles as the trend setters in the league and let the rest of the teams in the NFL try to catch up to them. LOL  

IF Quez comes along,you may get your wish

Love to see KILLINS in the slot on a few plays HAHA. Liquid lightning(he can catch and run routes)

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

IF Quez comes along,you may get your wish

I am concerned with all the wide receivers on the roster this year and less time to evaluate them that some good talent is going to fall through the cracks. I just don't see all the receivers getting equal time to impress.

1 minute ago, 1wrangler said:

I am concerned with all the wide receivers on the roster this year and less time to evaluate them that some good talent is going to fall through the cracks. I just don't see all the receivers getting equal time to impress.

Yeah gonna be some quick decisions made.Rather have too many than not enough.Al least you get your pick of the pack

8 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

Well if you get your way with Cox having reduced snaps this year the opposing teams won't have to waste 2 blockers on one man. 

Lets hope... but i'm not hoping for reduced snaps.. just the 2017 level of normal.  The last 2 years injury dictated he had to play too many snaps.   I'd like to see him rest more on early downs.  Like 2017.   Plus some blowouts where he can rest and we can keep the Barnett types in there to develop more.  Year 4 for pick #14 ... time to play like pick #14.  If they single blcok you... i'm expecting a good amount of sacks.  No reason he shouldn't be in the top 20.   He never gets doubled and he plays next to an ELITE DT.  Opposite a guy in Graham that is above average.   Not sure how many other DEs have it that set up to succeed?    No excuses.... he shouldn't need tricks to be moved around etc.  At pick 14, year 4...as Dick Vermeil said about Larry Johnson.... " time to take off the diapers"    He is the key player on that line... along with Hargrave they are the only 2 in " prime age"  His development is HUGE!

1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Current playoff format... 6 teams..    3 layers

2 byes
2 home games week 1
2 wildcard

New format .... 7 teams ... 3 layers... but bigger layers for 2 of them

1 bye week     
3 home games week 1
3 wildcard

More range in each group, less of a need to fight at the end with less of a chance to move from one tier to the next.   The only battles that we should see are for the division titles and the home game.  Like you said, if a team runs away with the one seed.   Especially once the regular season expands.... we will see lots of resting of players at the end.  IDK... you tell me what you would do as a coach.   2 games left, you are 2 games out of getting the bye... but also 2 games up on your division.  Are you worried about keeping the 2 seed?  Or does resting your tired players a little in the 25 degree weather sound better?    Like Ham said with guys getting that week of rest and using the bye as an extra week... we will get that more now in the final week or 2 of the regular season.  

Also all depends on records lol....Even in the old format if you were going to clinch your division but had no chance at getting a top 2 seed were you really going to play your starters????

If your top 2 seeds are close they are going to fight till the end for the crown to get the bye...

Bottom seeds are going to have to fight till the end mostly as well if teams are all close On the outside looking it...

mid seeds are where I don’t see the competition if they don’t gain or lose anything

Again don’t really see this as changing anything 

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Love to see KILLINS in the slot on a few plays HAHA. Liquid lightning(he can catch and run routes)

I can see this kid sitting it out for a year on the practice squad while the coaches put another 10 to 15 pounds of muscle on his frame. Of course he could return punts or kick offs but I don't want to see him get hurt right off the bat and create a hesitation in his running with abandonment mentality.

My prediction at WR....  

DeSean, Whiteside, Ward, Reager, ... goodwin and the other 2 rookies... all 7 make the roster to start.  Goodwin might be out .. or one of them goes on IR.   The ST ability looks good this year.  Even like the UDFAs the CB from Baylor and the RB from UCF.   Expanded rosters ... my guess is teams will look to keep more of their own guys on the practice squads?  Maybe one of our WRs ends up there.  

This offseason could be a blessing.... you may see who decides to put the work in on their own!   good sign of what is important to them

Just now, joemas6 said:

Lets hope... but i'm not hoping for reduced snaps.. just the 2017 level of normal.  The last 2 years injury dictated he had to play too many snaps.   I'd like to see him rest more on early downs.  Like 2017.   Plus some blowouts where he can rest and we can keep the Barnett types in there to develop more.  Year 4 for pick #14 ... time to play like pick #14.  If they single blcok you... i'm expecting a good amount of sacks.  No reason he shouldn't be in the top 20.   He never gets doubled and he plays next to an ELITE DT.  Opposite a guy in Graham that is above average.   Not sure how many other DEs have it that set up to succeed?    No excuses.... he shouldn't need tricks to be moved around etc.  At pick 14, year 4...as Dick Vermeil said about Larry Johnson.... " time to take off the diapers"    He is the key player on that line... along with Hargrave they are the only 2 in " prime age"  His development is HUGE!

There was a certain Individual that laughed at me a few weeks ago when I stated that I thought Hargreaves was going to be the best DT on the Eagles line this year. Of course you can't predict injuries but I still believe if both Cox and Hargreaves stay healthy, Hargreaves will have the better year. I am basing that opinion on Hargreaves going to a 4/3 defense from a 3/4 which is going to help him greatly.

Ham... let's see how it plays it out.  i'm telling you... resting Cox as opposed to being seed 3 or 4 ... or 5 or 6... that will take priority for most teams.   There is always a fight for the last playoff spot... having it as a lower seed doesn't automatically create more teams in the fight.   I think that is a misconception.  what we are getting is a fight for a lower seed... meaning we are lowering our level of what a playoff team is.   There should always be worthy teams NOT making the playoffs.  Now you give one team that chance to be in .. but you slide that scale down further to teams that " almost"  make it.   It is what it is.  We need to see it play out.  But you know guys are playing hurt at the end of the year, getting them healthy vs " matchups" ... the players and coaches will choose the health.... your point is great if it were robots playing the game, but the human element.  The first time a major player gets hurt due to the " fight for the matchup"  watch how it goes how i'm saying from then on.  

Having more playoff spots does mean more teams are in the fight...and longer. And you are missing that being a potential 3 or 4 seed relies on you winning the division. How does that change? Teams consistently fight to win their division most all of the season. I don’t think you have a good point on this one. Coaches still have to choose whom to rest to heal from injuries and when. I don’t see an extra Wild Card spot as making less competitive games. It makes more. Week 14 more teams will be in the playoff hunt. To me that feels unarguable. More competitive games. More fan bases still in it. You can only take your foot off the gas if you run away with your division or fit the first seed. Both could only really happen at the very end anyway and is the exact same as we’ve seen anyway. No real loss of need for competitive games. Just an Increase.

5 minutes ago, Bleedinggreen93 said:

Also all depends on records lol....Even in the old format if you were going to clinch your division but had no chance at getting a top 2 seed were you really going to play your starters????

If your top 2 seeds are close they are going to fight till the end for the crown to get the bye...

Bottom seeds are going to have to fight till the end mostly as well if teams are all close On the outside looking it...

mid seeds are where I don’t see the competition if they don’t gain or lose anything

Again don’t really see this as changing anything 

Your first sentence.   now replace.... " if you don't have a chance for the top seed"    right there, it was more of a chance to get top 2 than it was to get top 1.  So less need to fight to move up.   
Your second sentence.... if your top 2 seeds a re close.... well... prior if your top 3 or 4 seeds were close they would fight to get top 2 ... much different that 2 teams fighting for one spot

4th sentence.... you are 100% correct.. the mid seeds don't need to fight for anything ... now we just added another team to that mid seed tier.

Those are the changes I see ... compared to you not seeing any changes.     The system works the same... just now gave one less spot at the top to fight for... and one more middle and bottom spots.  This creates seed 2 having to play wildcard weekend ... and say seed 6 already knowing they are in .... could be 5 teams not really worrying about their seeds.. seeds 2 to 6.  with seed 1 already way ahead... and 3 other teams fighting for the 7th and final spot.

Also... the one time when a key player gets hurt ... to where he plays simply to fight for spot 5 instead of falling back to a possible 6 or 7th seed .... or fighting for the 2 seed instead of a possible 3rd or 4th.... watch how that changes how teams and players think going forward.     

Teams will fight for 3 things .... playoffs, division and bye.    More teams in the playoffs who aren't going to win their division.  More division winners who aren't going to get a bye... will cause less need to play at the end and more bogus games.    Will it happen like this every year... nope... will it happen about half the time... yep.  will one injury change things to more bogus games ... yep.    Do I hate bogus games at the end... YEP

It's just my personal preference.  Not everyone has to agree.    I also like less playoff teams because I like the idea of good teams missing the playoffs... seems like we don't have that in sports anymore.  The NFL was really the only one you could say that lately.  Especially with baseball increasing their playoff teams.  Too much mediocrity anymore.

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Well the bash you had against JJ was "we don;t need short play guys",so I am assuming he won;t see alot of screens here either

I don’t say that. I said two things: we need speed to stretch the field and we need playmaking. Reagor brings both. He can stretch the defense and he can take a screen and take it to the house...making a play. He has plenty of need for growth. I haven’t said otherwise. He has great potential. Can’t ignore the potential. Need a high ceiling from a first round pick.

14 minutes ago, 1wrangler said:

There was a certain Individual that laughed at me a few weeks ago when I stated that I thought Hargreaves was going to be the best DT on the Eagles line this year. Of course you can't predict injuries but I still believe if both Cox and Hargreaves stay healthy, Hargreaves will have the better year. I am basing that opinion on Hargreaves going to a 4/3 defense from a 3/4 which is going to help him greatly.

What consitutes a better year for you... is it simply sacks?   Like if Cox gets first team all pro... but Hargrave has one more sack... who has the better year?   But I like the idea of it even being considered.  Wow... can you imagine a team having to game plan for Hargraves like they do Cox.   They only have 3 interior blockers, can't double both!   The more they could double Hargraves would be so huge for us.   

6 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Having more playoff spots does mean more teams are in the fight...and longer. And you are missing that being a potential 3 or 4 seed relies on you winning the division. How does that change? Teams consistently fight to win their division most all of the season. I don’t think you have a good point on this one. Coaches still have to choose whom to rest to heal from injuries and when. I don’t see an extra Wild Card spot as making less competitive games. It makes more. Week 14 more teams will be in the playoff hunt. To me that feels unarguable. More competitive games. More fan bases still in it. You can only take your foot off the gas if you run away with your division or fit the first seed. Both could only really happen at the very end anyway and is the exact same as we’ve seen anyway. No real loss of need for competitive games. Just an Increase.

Ham, lets see what happens.  I don't think you are seeing it... so it needs to happen first.  

More playoff teams ... .means the fight will be for seed 7, not seed 6.  If 3 teams are fighting for the 6th seed and 3 teams fighting for the 7th seed, its the same except its the teams that aren't as good fighting for it.    

Again though... you are looking at week 14.   I hope EVERYONE still plays week 14.... i'm looking at 17 games and the last couple of weeks.  So what is that ... weeks 17 and 18 now right?  I sure hope with a month left everyone is still playing.   You are missing the fact that once teams get in and they can't move up, they will choose to rest guys.  It's nice in your head to work your way... but you know if an injury happens.  lets say it's Wentz week 18 in a game that can move us up from seed 4 to 3 or from guaranteed 6 or 7 to possible 5.   Doug will get killed and the following year no chance of that.   Once that injury happens for your noble fight for a #.   Things will change. 

We shall see.  It needs to happen first like Hockey and basketball for it to really show.  Football to me was special in that every game would normally mean something.  Not all the time, but this will create more meaningless ball the last week or 2, and I don't want that.  

IDK.. it's January ... do I want to see Wentz dive for the end zone so we can move up a slot?   Are you really into that as much as if it were for a bye or the division or just to get in?  WE gotta play Cox 60 snaps that last week to sell out to move up to #5 seed?   I'll pass.  

Here you go... read the name at the bottom.  It was the QB accuracy rate last year for passes thrown to WRs.  All about the accuracy of the pass. 

FB_IMG_1587716876748.jpg

Exactly. Guy at the top isn’t open but the QB throws him open. Guy at the bottom has a QB throwing into the bleachers. College production is only one tool. Gotta search deeper to figure out nfl translation. Rosie admitted to learning as much this offseason.

1 minute ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Exactly. Guy at the top isn’t open but the QB throws him open. Guy at the bottom has a QB throwing into the bleachers. College production is only one tool. Gotta search deeper to figure out nfl translation. Rosie admitted to learning as much this offseason.

YES.. because its not about who is better as a college player or who will be better as a rookie... its about who will have the better career.  You draft for long term.  

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yep,so no telling what he can do or not,since there were 4 QB's involved

Well actually he had a better season the year before. So we saw the dropoff.

46 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

My prediction at WR....  

DeSean, Whiteside, Ward, Reager, ... goodwin and the other 2 rookies... all 7 make the roster to start.  Goodwin might be out .. or one of them goes on IR.   The ST ability looks good this year.  Even like the UDFAs the CB from Baylor and the RB from UCF.   Expanded rosters ... my guess is teams will look to keep more of their own guys on the practice squads?  Maybe one of our WRs ends up there.  

This offseason could be a blessing.... you may see who decides to put the work in on their own!   good sign of what is important to them

I really liked the Hightower pick.He is rough around the edges.The potential is there and he should have gone earlier in my view.He isn't fast,but he's tough to bring down. A "clutch" type option other than Ertz.

28 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Welp here we go again.Which of the 4 QB's had this accuracy rating?

22 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Well actually he had a better season the year before. So we saw the dropoff.

yeah consistent QB play always helps

28 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Ham, lets see what happens.  I don't think you are seeing it... so it needs to happen first.  

More playoff teams ... .means the fight will be for seed 7, not seed 6.  If 3 teams are fighting for the 6th seed and 3 teams fighting for the 7th seed, its the same except its the teams that aren't as good fighting for it.    

Again though... you are looking at week 14.   I hope EVERYONE still plays week 14.... i'm looking at 17 games and the last couple of weeks.  So what is that ... weeks 17 and 18 now right?  I sure hope with a month left everyone is still playing.   You are missing the fact that once teams get in and they can't move up, they will choose to rest guys.  It's nice in your head to work your way... but you know if an injury happens.  lets say it's Wentz week 18 in a game that can move us up from seed 4 to 3 or from guaranteed 6 or 7 to possible 5.   Doug will get killed and the following year no chance of that.   Once that injury happens for your noble fight for a #.   Things will change. 

We shall see.  It needs to happen first like Hockey and basketball for it to really show.  Football to me was special in that every game would normally mean something.  Not all the time, but this will create more meaningless ball the last week or 2, and I don't want that.  

IDK.. it's January ... do I want to see Wentz dive for the end zone so we can move up a slot?   Are you really into that as much as if it were for a bye or the division or just to get in?  WE gotta play Cox 60 snaps that last week to sell out to move up to #5 seed?   I'll pass.  

I can see 4-5 teams fighting for the last 2 spots joe. I can also see a couple Division titles being fought for in each conference. That means there will be the same or maybe more teams fighting for a play off spot. Just because you add a team you can slide the amount who can rest players in line with how many added.....

Also, each year is different. One year you may have 10 teams fighting for 6 play-off spots and the next you only have 8. You never know how it will go in any given year....

Archived