Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

Brought this back over as a refresher. It is number 4 and has to do with the new CBA

4) How will the league change during the life of this deal?

The 17th game necessitated changes that will affect player development and could show up on the field immediately. Once the 17-game regular season starts, teams will be limited to 16 padded practices during training camp and no more than three in a row. That is a big change from the current padded-practice limit of 28, so expect coaches to have some thoughts on how that will impact preparation. There will also be a five-day acclimation period that will limit the kind of work done at the very start of camp.

No practice can last longer than 2 1/2 hours and players can't be at the team facility for more than 12 hours per day. And there must be a "bye week" after the third and final preseason game before the start of the regular season.

And this is a big one: Teams are not allowed to add padded practices in the regular season once the 17-game seasons start. Under this new CBA, during the regular season, padded practices will be limited to 14, 11 of which must be held during the first 11 weeks. All of that will remain in place even when the 17-game seasons start.

Teams are also getting bigger. The active roster on game day will go from 46 to 48 players, and one of the extra players has to be an offensive lineman. Practice squads will also expand, to 12 players in 2020 and 2021, and to 14 starting in 2022. Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, meaning that the roster during the week will effectively be 55. That, the league hopes, will help spread out the wear and tear players incur from the 17th game.

So I am reading this to say we have to have an extra O-Line on the roster each week but the other guy can be rotational so the Eagles could choose to have 3 QB's on the active roster on any given week without the rest of the team suffering because of it. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned that a while ago Wrang, albeit before we got Hurts. Be smart to have multi positional players, 1 being the OL. Hurts fits right in, so does a multi position guy in the secondary

So much crap in this. Thanks for this informative post. Where to begin? 16 padded practices during Training Camp. That’s just pathetic. A max of 40 hours of padded practice time. Is that getting anybody in football shape? That will turn into a negative. Guys will be injured more because of this player safety measure during....practice. Pisses me off...but I’ll continue.
   Why do they need a bye week after the preseason? What’s that for? An extra bye week during the season I could see helping players recover. But you are killing all padded practicing...so they need a bye week before the season? No idea what that does for anybody.

After week 11 you can only have three padded practices. I don’t get this either. I guess it just prevents bad teams from having their coach punish them.

The active roster with an Oline having to be one of the extra guys makes zero sense to me. Of coarse you’d have at least one backup Oline active. So how do they know what’s the extra guy? Seems dumb....so there must be an extra catch to this part I’m missing. 

Never did like how they did the bye week. Do like the idea of adding an extra one, scheduling and TV will be against it. Even with the current byr week, why not give half the teams off mid season, the other half the following week? 17 game season divide it into 3rds to have 2 bye's.

1 hour ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Still trying to to rap my head around Reagor only getting nine screen passes. Weird that he doesn’t have experience with that.

I said before he was a 1 trick pony.Hopefully we can teach him some new routes in camp

59 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Mentioned that a while ago Wrang, albeit before we got Hurts. Be smart to have multi positional players, 1 being the OL. Hurts fits right in, so does a multi position guy in the secondary

With Hurts, I just like the fact teams have to plan for 2 different type QB's.Don't have to use him,but they now must plan as we might HAHAHA.Mix hurts in a few plays a game and keep their D's off balance

51 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So much crap in this. Thanks for this informative post. Where to begin? 16 padded practices during Training Camp. That’s just pathetic. A max of 40 hours of padded practice time. Is that getting anybody in football shape? That will turn into a negative. Guys will be injured more because of this player safety measure during....practice. Pisses me off...but I’ll continue.
   Why do they need a bye week after the preseason? What’s that for? An extra bye week during the season I could see helping players recover. But you are killing all padded practicing...so they need a bye week before the season? No idea what that does for anybody.

After week 11 you can only have three padded practices. I don’t get this either. I guess it just prevents bad teams from having their coach punish them.

The active roster with an Oline having to be one of the extra guys makes zero sense to me. Of coarse you’d have at least one backup Oline active. So how do they know what’s the extra guy? Seems dumb....so there must be an extra catch to this part I’m missing. 

Because the NFLPA is trying to reduce ANY physical contact for their players.I'm sure the owners were not thrilled with this,but it was a bargaining chip they had to give in to to get what they wanted

26 minutes ago, mjkline1958 said:

Never did like how they did the bye week. Do like the idea of adding an extra one, scheduling and TV will be against it. Even with the current byr week, why not give half the teams off mid season, the other half the following week? 17 game season divide it into 3rds to have 2 bye's.

IDK I think there should only be 2 bye weeks.Week 8 and 9(or pick 2 back to back).In each bye ,1/2 of the teams are off. That is 1/2 way through the season. make it the same 2 weeks every year,but alternate the week you are off(aka if your bye is 8 this year,it will be week 9 next year)Players could plan any elective surgery around those 2 weeks.It would also be more fair in terms of injured players returning.No team would have any distinct advantage.TV would not suffer,they may have to cover a different team one week,but thats no biggie.Just a thought 

17 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I said before he was a 1 trick pony.Hopefully we can teach him some new routes in camp

Not true. Just flat false. You gotta watch some tape. But he should be excellent at screens. Should be excellent at so many things that they just didn’t ask him to do.

31 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK I think there should only be 2 bye weeks.Week 8 and 9(or pick 2 back to back).In each bye ,1/2 of the teams are off. That is 1/2 way through the season. make it the same 2 weeks every year,but alternate the week you are off(aka if your bye is 8 this year,it will be week 9 next year)Players could plan any elective surgery around those 2 weeks.It would also be more fair in terms of injured players returning.No team would have any distinct advantage.TV would not suffer,they may have to cover a different team one week,but thats no biggie.Just a thought 

TV would totally suffer. Two weeks you are missing half the games. Doesn’t sound good to me. I was thinking 18 game schedule with two bye weeks. As in each team gets two weeks off during the season. Recovery is everything. That would give guys a better opportunity to not play injured. Plus teams tend to let a guy miss one game injured right before the bye....so he gets effectively two weeks off to heal. If the bye isn’t on the horizon they tend to push through the injury.

Still trying to to rap my head around Reagor only getting nine screen passes. Weird that he doesn’t have experience with that.

BTW... there was a good video that I saw with his "  drops"    2 were on screen passes that he was bout to get blown up and he drops each saved 5 yards.   If you see his highlights, there was a screen where he ended up with not much blocking, had to come backwards and still took it to the house.

I think your answer is more of an issue with his team, not so much himself.  This is where your whole pre draft point can really get hammered home.  This kid seemed to have zero help compared to the kid from LSU.  

4 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

BTW... there was a good video that I saw with his "  drops"    2 were on screen passes that he was bout to get blown up and he drops each saved 5 yards.   If you see his highlights, there was a screen where he ended up with not much blocking, had to come backwards and still took it to the house.

I think your answer is more of an issue with his team, not so much himself.  This is where your whole pre draft point can really get hammered home.  This kid seemed to have zero help compared to the kid from LSU.  

Exactly what I’m saying. A guy can only do what the team asks him to do.

The real tape study with Reagor is watching plays where he got wide open but the QB didn’t throw him the ball. That doesn’t equate to GNC’s beloved college production. But it does translate to NFL production. 
  Two receivers: one receiver gets wide open but his QB doesn’t recognize and throw him the ball. The second receiver doesn’t get open but the QB rifles in a perfect throw to throw him open. Which receiver do you draft?

7 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

A bye before the season I really don’t get

I usually have my bye then... go to the beach, the pool ... family stuff.  August is great for that.   I don't think it matters much... there is usually a big gap and then coaches can better prepare their roster choices.  ETC.  

As for 2 byes... they had that for one or 2 years.... back in 93 -95 time period.  Not exactly sure when, but I remember and also have it one my Madden game... lol The one year I actually had it back on Sega Genesis...lol    I wasn't a fan of 2 bye weeks... I hate the bye week myself.... from a fan perspective.  Once I get rolling into the season, it's hard enough to wait for each Sunday... giving me another 2 weeks in between games... i'll pass.  Was torture in 2004 and 2017 between locking up the one seed and a meaningless week 17 then a bye afterwards... 3 weeks between real football.   I'm not a fan.    I get it from all the health and players point of view... I'm just talking for me.   It's why I hate 17 games.. the more games means more possibilities of meaningless football at the end.  Same with more playoff teams.. like I said, you all focus on the battle for 7th and final spot... i'm going to notice teams from 2 to 6 pulling back once they are locked in and know they can't get a bye.  It's going to cause a lot of meaningless football at the back end.  To me it's worse that meaningless preseason.  At least preseason you are building up to real football.   Having real football for 4 months, then watching Sudfeld take on the Cowboys in a meaningless final game and actually rooting for Dallas to win so they can drop in the draft... ehhh... I'll pass on more of that.  

More playoff teams mean more meaningful football. I think you have this wrong.

9 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

The real tape study with Reagor is watching plays where he got wide open but the QB didn’t throw him the ball. That doesn’t equate to GNC’s beloved college production. But it does translate to NFL production. 
  Two receivers: one receiver gets wide open but his QB doesn’t recognize and throw him the ball. The second receiver doesn’t get open but the QB rifles in a perfect throw to throw him open. Which receiver do you draft?

Even better ... there is only 1 football to go around.  Do you draft a guy that needs the ball a lot ... which takes away targets for other guys ... or do you draft a guy who creates attention when he is on the field and doesn't need the ball to help his team?  

8 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

It's going to cause a lot of meaningless football at the back end. 

Really could go either way in my eyes.... with only 1 bye team of the first place team is running away with it then 2-3 seeds probably won’t care as much how they finish possibly the 4th seed as well...Lower seeds will have to keep playing though to keep there spots...

Really don’t see anything changing from previous years with the new playoffs minus an extra team going to the playoffs 

9 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

Even better ... there is only 1 football to go around.  Do you draft a guy that needs the ball a lot ... which takes away targets for other guys ... or do you draft a guy who creates attention when he is on the field and doesn't need the ball to help his team?  

That’s tougher. I can’t say drafting a RB like we saw Henry doing last year would be a bad call. But he had to dominate the touches. Was drafting Ertz a bad call? I don’t think so. Many HOF guys have needed their touches. 
But on the flip side if you help others with not needing to be targeted that’s always a plus.

3 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

More playoff teams mean more meaningful football. I think you have this wrong.

Ham,we shall see .. i'm thinking baseball vs the winter sports.    We see how it gets meaningless at the end for team that lock in playoff spots with a month left.

and I think you are missing this point.   There will always be a fight for the last playoff spot.   My memory takes me back to 3 division winners and 2 wildcard teams in each conference.  A fight for the 5th spot...    now you have a fight for the 7th spot.  It still comes down to teams who will be in that area... top teams will be locked in, bottoms teams will be out of it... there really is no difference if 4 teams fight for the 5th and final spot or if they fight for the 7th and final spot.  But what you will have ... teams that are already locked in, they will rest guys.  I don't think the importance of being either 2, 3 or 4 ... or 5, 6 or 7 is going to outweigh the possibility of getting your guys hurt.     The only thing to play for is the bye week... seed 1, the final playoff spot seed 7 ... and your division... which gets the home game.   I don't think within those expanded groups now ... teams are going to go all out vs the idea of resting some guys.  Especially in cold weather. 

2 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

That’s tougher. I can’t say drafting a RB like we saw Henry doing last year would be a bad call. But he had to dominate the touches. Was drafting Ertz a bad call? I don’t think so. Many HOF guys have needed their touches. 
But on the flip side if you help others might not needing to be targeted that’s always a plus.

Listen to what i'm saying ... i'm just comparing 2 guys.   If you have 2 choices.   If you had Ertz or the kid from SF.   Everyone was complaining ertz wasn't 1st or 2nd team all pro the year he had 1000 catches.  Well, because Kelce and Kittle did more with less.   They don't need the ball as much.

For us.. we already have Ertz, we need the guy to compliment him to draw coverage and force the D to account for him to open things up for Ertz.   Not a guy that comes in to take away more targets in the same area of the field.  That's just swapping stats from one guy to the next.  Don't see it improving the offense.  But a guy that can change the game on one play and maybe force a Gilmore and White to play him ... that works better IMO.

59 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Not true. Just flat false. You gotta watch some tape. But he should be excellent at screens. Should be excellent at so many things that they just didn’t ask him to do.

If he was so good at it why didn't he get more of them? Especially from a QB you said was "inaccurate".Wouldn't you think he would do more screens because he could be more accurate?

We will see whats true and false when camp starts

39 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

TV would totally suffer. Two weeks you are missing half the games. Doesn’t sound good to me. I was thinking 18 game schedule with two bye weeks. As in each team gets two weeks off during the season. Recovery is everything. That would give guys a better opportunity to not play injured. Plus teams tend to let a guy miss one game injured right before the bye....so he gets effectively two weeks off to heal. If the bye isn’t on the horizon they tend to push through the injury.

Whats the diff if you miss 1/2 at once,or 1 per week stretched out? The TV time is still the same

23 minutes ago, joemas6 said:

I usually have my bye then... go to the beach, the pool ... family stuff.  August is great for that.   I don't think it matters much... there is usually a big gap and then coaches can better prepare their roster choices.  ETC.  

As for 2 byes... they had that for one or 2 years.... back in 93 -95 time period.  Not exactly sure when, but I remember and also have it one my Madden game... lol The one year I actually had it back on Sega Genesis...lol    I wasn't a fan of 2 bye weeks... I hate the bye week myself.... from a fan perspective.  Once I get rolling into the season, it's hard enough to wait for each Sunday... giving me another 2 weeks in between games... i'll pass.  Was torture in 2004 and 2017 between locking up the one seed and a meaningless week 17 then a bye afterwards... 3 weeks between real football.   I'm not a fan.    I get it from all the health and players point of view... I'm just talking for me.   It's why I hate 17 games.. the more games means more possibilities of meaningless football at the end.  Same with more playoff teams.. like I said, you all focus on the battle for 7th and final spot... i'm going to notice teams from 2 to 6 pulling back once they are locked in and know they can't get a bye.  It's going to cause a lot of meaningless football at the back end.  To me it's worse that meaningless preseason.  At least preseason you are building up to real football.   Having real football for 4 months, then watching Sudfeld take on the Cowboys in a meaningless final game and actually rooting for Dallas to win so they can drop in the draft... ehhh... I'll pass on more of that.  

Your team would miss 1 week,not 2 lol

Your missing it here No Mas. Teams will be fighting for a playoff spot. A given. More teams will play meaningful games longer into the season as they aren’t eliminated sooner. That’s a huge uptick in meaningful games right there. You mention the only reason to play once you know you’re a playoff team is for the bye. That’s totally false. The one seed is huge. That part you got right. But teams still play to win the division. That battle rages on...maybe until the last week. Teams play to get home field advantage. That’s definitely important. But you also glossed right over playoff matchups. Like who you matchup against doesn’t matter. And I say that’s huge. Always has been. Much of that will come down to the end. Maybe like the past you can rest your starters the last week of the season.

Nothing but more meaningful games in the regular season that I see.

Archived