Ongoing Eagles News Discussion

cunninghamtheman

41 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

So I can’t really make hard decisions on anyone player. Just don’t look at it that way. S effects RB effects Oline….

S does not effect RB.   The RB is either worth it or not.  S should effect LB, CB and the other S spot...not the offense. 

The OL and RB is something you can look at where one affects the other. 

• Replies 89.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joemas6 said:

Right just not the easy piece to replace.  Pay for the more difficult ones.

So please explain in more detail what your point is here. We both saying that somewhat. But really think not saying the same thing at all

You need to lock in guys you feel are harder to replace....guys that make impact.  Then you need to build the positions you feel are most important.  Then the cherries on top come last.  

I expect them to try to sign some defensive players. 

Harder to fit in the big picture roster plan. We are using similar sentences but believe meaning very different things in our logic

Yeah...too complicated.  Forget worrying about this current roster. It's done in 2 weeks.   You have a blank slate with your choice of who you want to build with... you don't look at who you will lose. 

You don't need a computer.  The over analysis is what cripples the Eagles during their bad offseason.  The sentimental and worrying about " losing guys" is what causes them to overpay.

Simply look at who you think will be a cornerstone for this roster as you build the next one long term 

Simple question...who do you think was a driving force for the success.  Who do you think benefitted from playing next to the other guy more?

Be ok if you lose guys who were along for the ride, you can replace them much easier.   Doesn't have to look good on paper right away.   Guys will develop,  guys will show up out of nowhere.  But if you think a player or two were so key to the success...you need to pay them.  

In other words... you got 19 mil... if you feel that one stud was the main reason for the success of three 7 mil guys...then sacrifice those 3,get the one guy...and find the guys who that one guy can turn into 7 mil guys. 

I don’t approach things nearly that way. You aren’t balancing anything to make a TEAM.

I could come up with plenty examples where several good players together is superior to the great talent and low level players.

2 hours ago, Asg 15 said:

the San Francisco 49ers' fears became a reality, as quarterback Brock Purdy has a "complete tear" of the UCL in his throwing elbow, according to NFL Network.

WOW didn't realize it was that bad. Thanks for posting this

Every position has to be considered. They all matter to each other. Have to. Limited resources. It is complicated. Do the same for fantasy football. You mock draft and see where you can get quality at a position later. So that  raises your ability to grab studs at positions that are weak later.

I’m trying to respectfully completely disagree.

Your oversimplification is just not looking at the job to me. You have no big picture views.

Harder to replace, yes. But not because he’s the most expensive. What if four other very good players at his position aren’t as elite but available and much cheaper. But another position you really only have one or two fits available? Gotta go get the low quantity and quality spots harder. Gotta judge dropoff points at positions. After the first three S options possible then it drops off to a guy that’s clearly only backup level…better prioritize the top guy. Maybe can get away with a middling option much easier at another position because this years options are flooded there.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Trying to get across my thinking of I’m not making many decisions about any one position or player alone. Every position options factor in against each other. I’m lining up the roster board by position. Free agent available by position. Trade possibilities by position. Draft targets by position. Then plugging into the computer simulating many different options. 

Am I getting my thoughts and method across clear enough?

Welp,like me making all my mocks,that can change on draft day,which screws up the entire modeling process. Computers can't tell you what a guys character is,nor his work habits. Computer is entirely statistical which you always bash me for as a "stat" guy(which is false). Stats are important,but not the only tool in the toolbox

It all balances. Salary cap is such a huge factor. Computers can easily run the hundred combination options possible. Many results will show that the best player at a position isn’t necessarily the best team creation.

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Welp,like me making all my mocks,that can change on draft day,which screws up the entire modeling process. Computers can't tell you what a guys character is,nor his work habits. Computer is entirely statistical which you always bash me for as a "stat" guy(which is false). Stats are important,but not the only tool in the toolbox

I’m also saying computers can show you how cheaper or later draft picks options look pretty good later and deeper. But only one good Nose a tackle that isn’t a big project. Better prioritize that Nose. Or you stuck with a 275 pound Nose a tackle getting pushed back like a practice sled.

2 hours ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Basically I’m paying close attention to what positions are deep with options versus which ones only have a select one or two good options that fit.

IDK in the upcoming draft looks to me like there are plenty of good players at every position. The problem is the limited picks we have left. So it would be a Howie decision whether to take pick 10 or trade it back for additional picks. He could trade pick 10 back and use the extra pick(s) to move up from 31. We simply have no idea who the targets will be. For instance I saw no mocks anywhere that had Jjaw as a choice for ANYone

I’m not saying the computer for  stay based options really much at all. Gotta grade..or tier players by position. The let it pump out twenty best options. Compare those against each other to see what’s actually best for the TEAM

Super stud and friends rarely goes far

A big weakness will repeatedly be attacked.

Just now, cunninghamtheman said:

I’m also saying computers can show you how cheaper or later draft picks options look pretty good later and deeper. But only one good Nose a tackle that isn’t a big project. Better prioritize that Nose. Or you stuck with a 275 pound Nose a tackle getting pushed back like a practice sled.

Well there then you have to rely on the scouts. Why would they even scout him as a nose tackle being that light. Whomever did that needs replaced. What do you classify Davis as?

One player at a time logic I’ll destroy that GM every time.

Five solid Oline working together trumps two studs and two duds.

Well there then you have to rely on the scouts. Why would they even scout him as a nose tackle being that light. Whomever did that needs replaced. What do you classify Davis as?

Just making a point of each year has strengths and weaknesses. In the draft and FA.

Pretty sure you’ve stated that point many times FL

So if there are five good S in FA and five good S in the second round. Are you going all out for the top and first guy? Or do you consider only one coverage LB in FA and not sold on the draft options?

See how the value goes up for weaker available positions?

Do you gotta pay 15 mil for a starting S? Or are there three you like at your second round pick draft spot?

You go for best value as much as possible

5 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Super stud and friends rarely goes far

Like AJ you mean? 

But you only give the team one outside corner and one starting S…that’s a problem.

Gotta think big picture planning. Just too short sighted to not look at all the possible ways the team can be constructed.

9 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK in the upcoming draft looks to me like there are plenty of good players at every position. The problem is the limited picks we have left. So it would be a Howie decision whether to take pick 10 or trade it back for additional picks. He could trade pick 10 back and use the extra pick(s) to move up from 31. We simply have no idea who the targets will be. For instance I saw no mocks anywhere that had Jjaw as a choice for ANYone

Easy example you can relate too. Last season at WR. Was there a clear dropoff at a point?

4 minutes ago, cunninghamtheman said:

Just making a point of each year has strengths and weaknesses. In the draft and FA.

Pretty sure you’ve stated that point many times FL

My thoughts are see who you can re-sign first(if they are worth re-singing and see what you pay for him. What you "think" he is worth may be different that what he accepts or doesn't. if he accepts,your model is now trash can fodder. get the first piece in place,go to the next,then seee what holes need filled in the draft and FA. You can't do this as set it and forget it,because the models you have printed out are worthless unless the numbers are EXACTLY what you put in. So in essence after every deal,you'd have to run your model all over again 

But yeah, three top WR in that draft. You either get up there or you getting a big dropoff. Or you scheme you a trade for AJ

My thoughts are see who you can re-sign first(if they are worth re-singing and see what you pay for him. What you "think" he is worth may be different that what he accepts or doesn't. if he accepts,your model is now trash can fodder. get the first piece in place,go to the next,then seee what holes need filled in the draft and FA. You can't do this as set it and forget it,because the models you have printed out are worthless unless the numbers are EXACTLY what you put in. So in essence after every deal,you'd have to run your model all over again 

I’m looking at available options by position before considering who I try and keep.

Plenty of FA at a position I’m not forcing keeping my guy

I mean you try and maybe see what’s the outlook for any of your FA. Like is CGJ even interested in coming back here as an option?

Archived