EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

29 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Add in Josiah Scott and Andre Chachere and there is Howie's investment in CB.  I posted earlier but if you look at how the Eagles have invested at CB in recent years, this is totally in line with what Howie Roseman does and what he considers young talent. 

Zech McPhearson, 23- 2021 4th round pick

Josiah Scott, 22- 2023 6th round pick and Jameson Houston

Tay Gowan, 23- Zach Ertz

Kary Vincent, 22 - 2022 6th round pick

Andre Chachere, 25 - 2021 waiver claim

You can't get rid of Slay with his contract, so you have him for at least another year, possibly 2.  He was the biggest investment at CB with a 3rd and 5th.  I really think Howie wants all of the 1st round picks to trade for  QB so by this minimal investment in young CB, he can argue he doesn't need to draft a round 1 CB.

I hope you are wrong.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lacks size and lacks enthusiasm when it's time to be a tackler. Sounds like he will fit in with the rest of the back 7. Wtf kind of defense is Howie trying to build. It's Fing sad and embarrassing considering our rich defensive history. Get him out of here already he has no clue. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report--cb-kary-vincent-jr

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

His contract was good. At some point people will stop arguing it and just acknowledge it. 

It's more about the allocation of resources.  The team was heading into a downward trend, desperately needed to get younger, and get out of the cap hell that was obviously coming... and Howie brings in a CB that's at the end of his prime, pays a 3rd and 5th round pick, and gives him as much money as the top 3 CB in the NFL.   

Sure... that single move makes sense.  But that move into context and you've got a guy who decides to put luxury tires on a car where the chassis is rusting through.

1 minute ago, greendestiny27 said:

Lacks size and lacks enthusiasm when it's time to be a tackler. Sounds like he will fit in with the rest of the back 7. Wtf kind of defense is Howie trying to build. It's Fing sad and embarrassing considering our rich defensive history. Get him out of here already he has no clue. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report--cb-kary-vincent-jr

This irks me so bad.  We have been spoiled with great defenses, have had all-time greats over the decades.  We are used to defenses that strike fear in the opponent.  

Now look at what we have.

4 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

CBs don't grow on trees. The best ones aren't going to hit free agency. If you can trade for one for just a 3, you do it, even if it means you have to pay him.

The contract was manageable anyway.

What's the alternative to making the Slay trade? Rolling out Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox again?

You can nitpick all you want. When a potential top player at a premier position becomes available, you stretch the "rulebook" a little bit to get one.

This is where they cherry pick Bradberry, who didn’t really fit what we wanted to do last year.

2 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

CBs don't grow on trees. The best ones aren't going to hit free agency. If you can trade for one for just a 3, you do it, even if it means you have to pay him.

The contract was manageable anyway.

What's the alternative to making the Slay trade? Rolling out Rasul Douglas and Avonte Maddox again?

You can nitpick all you want. When a potential top player at a premier position becomes available, you stretch the rulebook a little bit to get one.

The alternative to trading for Slay was to draft better.  Let's defend Howie's moves, by using Howie's draft failure to prove that the roster stinks.

But, when a potential top player at a premier position becomes available, you look at your roster and evaluate how much better he will make your roster...  But, hey... 7 wins since they brought him in.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

It's more about the allocation of resources.  The team was heading into a downward trend, desperately needed to get younger, and get out of the cap hell that was obviously coming... and Howie brings in a CB that's at the end of his prime, pays a 3rd and 5th round pick, and gives him as much money as the top 3 CB in the NFL.   

Sure... that single move makes sense.  But that move into context and you've got a guy who decides to put luxury tires on a car where the chassis is rusting through.

I was going to post the same thing.

On it's own, the trade and contract for Slay is great.  However, when you look at where this team was and the direction they were headed, it was a dumb trade and a dumb contract.  It's going to be the same thing with Dallas Goedert.  Yea, he's had 70+ yards in 2 games now but the Eagles are in no position to pay a luxury price on a position like tight end when they have so many holes across the team.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The alternative to trading for Slay was to draft better.  Let's defend Howie's moves, by using Howie's draft failure to prove that the roster stinks.

But, when a potential top player at a premier position becomes available, you look at your roster and evaluate how much better he will make your roster...  But, hey... 7 wins since they brought him in.  

I’m more irritated the eagles said they knew they needed to do a 2-3 year rebuild. Then decided screw it 3 new coaches in the division and a pandemic so go for the division. Trade for slay who’s basically going to be useless after the rebuild is completely over. We basically got a corner who’s going to be starting for 3 years when we aren’t very good for those 3 years. Then be old and done when we actually need him. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m more irritated the eagles said they knew they needed to do a 2-3 year rebuild. Then decided screw it 3 new coaches in the division and a pandemic so go for the division. Trade for slay who’s basically going to be useless after the rebuild is completely over. We basically got a corner who’s going to be starting for 3 years when we aren’t very good for those 3 years. Then be old and done when we actually need him. 

That’s Howie trying to save face. He never had any intention of a rebuild. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

See that's the thing right... either they recognized their condition, or they were oblivious.   Of course, if they recognized the situation, they had to recognize that they Covid concern was going to cause a potential problem with the cap number moving forward.

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Eagles got my guy Togiai and you’re guy Vincent. Look at us!

345D915F-33EA-4DB5-AB4E-A061E593208A.gif

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

This. The contract and value isn’t bad until you realize the eagles needed to do a complete rebuild and by the time they get out of the rebuild in 2023 (that’s being hopeful) he’s going to be really declined and no longer on the team. 

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

See that's the thing right... either they recognized their condition, or they were oblivious.   Of course, if they recognized the situation, they had to recognize that they Covid concern was going to cause a potential problem with the cap number moving forward.

The last part i think the nfl in general missed them boat about how long Covid would last. They had issues right up to the start of the 2020 season that were discussed cause they just waited and thought it wouldn’t affected them as much as their season was in 6-7 months. I think the league in general thought well our season doesn’t begin til September. In 6.5-7 months this won’t be an issue for us. 

10 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

This is where they cherry pick Bradberry, who didn’t really fit what we wanted to do last year.

Or cherry pick that they needed to bring in a 22 year old through the draft, and actually... find a good one.  I know, that's beyond Howie's capability.  He's tried and tried... and just can't.

5 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

That’s Howie trying to save face. He never had any intention of a rebuild. 

Possible. However i was all in favor of starting after the fools gold run of 2019. That’s when they should’ve started parting off pieces when they had higher value so you could infuse more young talent and rebuilding and be ahead of the curve. Instead they went in on a team that wasn’t that good in 2019, thinking they’d just stay healthy with an older team and that slay and hargrave would just make them a contender 

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

That’s exactly what I was going for, but I don’t know how to post gifs. 

image.gif.3c670f9b6997b93c88326b78189e211b.gif

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The last part i think the nfl in general missed them boat about how long Covid would last. They had issues right up to the start of the 2020 season that were discussed cause they just waited and thought it wouldn’t affected them as much as their season was in 6-7 months. I think the league in general thought well our season doesn’t begin til September. In 6.5-7 months this won’t be an issue for us. 

Sure... but that's where 'risk management' comes in.  The question should have been asked... 'what if it doesn't go away'?  It had already shut down the other 3 leagues.  

9 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Or cherry pick that they needed to bring in a 22 year old through the draft, and actually... find a good one.  I know, that's beyond Howie's capability.  He's tried and tried... and just can't.

If it were easy, everyone would do it. 

I get that Howie has been bad (and this is where I feel compelled to point that I think he should have been fired), but it was a good move for a team trying to make the playoffs. Despite the trajectory, we still looked like a playoff contender at the time of the deal. 

Just now, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure... but that's where 'risk management' comes in.  The question should have been asked... 'what if it doesn't go away'?  It had already shut down the other 3 leagues.  

I don’t disagree. But i think that was more than just the eagles. That was an entire league thing. The eagles should’ve been more cautious cause their cap was a mess even before Covid hit. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Possible. However i was all in favor of starting after the fools gold run of 2019. That’s when they should’ve started parting off pieces when they had higher value so you could infuse more young talent and rebuilding and be ahead of the curve. Instead they went in on a team that wasn’t that good in 2019, thinking they’d just stay healthy with an older team and that slay and hargrave would just make them a contender 

Yup, and I think he still thinks this if the reports of him wanting Russell Wilson are true.  Finally armed with serious draft capital to rebuild this team, Howie would rather throws those picks at a quarterback who can lead this trash of a roster.

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

If it were easy, everyone would do it. 

I get that Howie has been bad (and this is where I feel co peeled to point that I think he should have been fired), but it was a good move for a team trying to make the playoffs. Despite the trajectory, we still looked like a playoff contender at the time of the deal. 

I disagree. I argued that entire offseason that 2019 was fools gold and they needed to start a rebuild then cause they weren’t turning it around just expecting old players to stay healthy, rookies in a pandemic to fix their issues and adding slay/hargrave weren’t enough to make you a legitimate contender. If you were gonna sign players or trade for guys then do it with young guys who’d still be here after a rebuild. They won a crap division because week 16 Dak Prescott had a shoulder injury and a ridiculously easy schedule down the stretch. Bpac, 4for4 and I said that a ton of times. All we got from everyone else was we were chicken little and the window was open for a SB for another 2-3 years. 

Archived